PrisonPlanet Forum
July 30, 2014, 01:01:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: proof of cops and low IQ's?  (Read 3484 times)
voxpopuli

« on: February 19, 2008, 06:14:40 AM »

I've heard Alex state on the show that police departments won't hire an officer if their IQ is too high, i.e. over 100. I have been unable to find any stories that support this claim...

Can anyone provide any links that help support this claim?

Dealing with cops, you figure it's true, but it would be nice to see it in black and white, so to speak..

thanks in advance
ghardy

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 08:57:59 AM »

yea, but i have always wondered...what is the threshold for someone with a low IQ and someone that's a drooling idiot?  they obviously know where the line is.
mr anderson

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:28:33 AM »

George Carlin said: 'Smart enough to run the machines, dumb enough not to know your being F**ked up the ass and not ask questions'

WeAreChange Brisbane
I hold personal views, beliefs and opinions that do not necessarily reflect the beliefs and opinions of WeAreChange Brisbane as a whole.

Our Bitcoin address: 1Fzb4bp48oMr7CFzT3SbkTzKpMSvWW1X1t
watcher

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 11:19:30 AM »

I think Alex meant that the smart cops who wake up and stop being sheep, usually leave the system. From this, one can presume they have larger IQ's because they can think for themselves.

I'm not sure if he was refering to the actual hiring process.

Eternal Vigilance is the Cost of Freedom
creat3d

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 11:38:50 AM »

Anyone with a high IQ would NOT want to be a police officer... same thing with running for office.

To paraphrase the great Bill Hicks, the man that WANTS to be President should never be allowed into office
and the one we have to drag kicking and screaming into office is the one that SHOULD be President...

I know a detective in my area who is not only smart, but genuinely cares about people and does his job in the way
every single officer should: fixing problems instead of making things worse. I can't go into details, and it's not that he
"turns a blind eye" or anything like that... he's just a damn good officer and does his job the way they all should... Too
bad he's part of a minority among the police...
sid

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 01:42:53 PM »

Anyone with a high IQ would NOT want to be a police officer... same thing with running for office.

Wonder what Ron Paul's IQ is?

I've known a number of FBI and DEA over the years, dating back to a few friends from childhood, and believe me:  They weren't dumb.
rfnatboy

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 02:08:34 PM »

Heres one I found

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A06E2DB143DF93AA3575AC0A96F958260
Brocke
Eleutherophiliac & Drapetomaniac
Global Moderator

I am not a number, I am a free man!

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 02:17:34 PM »

I have never been that confident that IQ tests are legitimate. What are they testing for anyway. I'd be willing to bet they are geared towards finding psychopaths and weeding out empathetic persons.

I suck at this test, maybe that's why I'm skeptical!

http://www.mensa.org/workout2.php

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley
hollowman27

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 09:49:59 PM »

I have never been that confident that IQ tests are legitimate. What are they testing for anyway. I'd be willing to bet they are geared towards finding psychopaths and weeding out empathetic persons.

I suck at this test, maybe that's why I'm skeptical!

http://www.mensa.org/workout2.php
Hey there!  I'm a long time lurker on these forums.  I finally decided to register and contribute something after seeing your post.  I'm a school psychologist in training right now, so I have a good deal of experience with IQ tests.  IQ tests (such as the WISC-IV, WJ-III, and Standford Binet V) all have high reliability and validity.  They measure intelligence on different domains, such as Verbal Comprehension, Processing Speed, Working Memory, etc.  To put it briefly, IQ tests do not measure if a person if empathetic or a psychopath - they simply measure one's cognitive abilities.  Other types of assessment are used to look at empathy and pathology, but even then multiple sources should be used so converging evidence can be looked at to make a determination.

I'm not sure of the reliability and validity of this MENSA test, but I would not put a whole lot of stock in it's only a 30 question online quiz.  Any type of online psychological test is usually garbage.
voxpopuli

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 02:58:05 PM »

Thanks! Still looking for more, as one police dept does not make the whole country...On another note, New London is the town is CT that had the big eminent domain controversy, the case is Kelo vs New London...(sure most of you know that, just thought I would mention it in case someone didn't)...

Thanks
Volitzer

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 03:08:44 PM »

METRO NEWS BRIEFS: CONNECTICUT; Judge Rules That Police Can Bar High I.Q. Published: September 9, 1999
A Federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit by a man who was barred from the New London police force because he scored too high on an intelligence test.

In a ruling made public on Tuesday, Judge Peter C. Dorsey of the United States District Court in New Haven agreed that the plaintiff, Robert Jordan, was denied an opportunity to interview for a police job because of his high test scores. But he said that that did not mean Mr. Jordan was a victim of discrimination.

Judge Dorsey ruled that Mr. Jordan was not denied equal protection because the city of New London applied the same standard to everyone: anyone who scored too high was rejected.

Mr. Jordan, 48, who has a bachelor's degree in literature and is an officer with the State Department of Corrections, said he was considering an appeal. ''I was eliminated on the basis of my intellectual makeup,'' he said. ''It's the same as discrimination on the basis of gender or religion or race.''

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: