Books

Author Topic: Books  (Read 7934 times)

Offline Al Bundy

Books
« on: May 23, 2015, 07:02:15 AM »
Americans, what kind of books you read and what would I recommend?

EvadingGrid

Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 07:14:13 AM »
Americans, what kind of books you read and what would I recommend?

Speaking of books, and Amercians .. . .. . .. . ..

Did you see the Osama Bin Laden Book list ?
Its an odd collection including Conspiracy Classics

BBC Article publishes US Gov tale about contents of Bin Laden's "Bookshelf."
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=268590.0

Offline pac522

• Peace sells, but who's buying?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 11:58:07 AM »
Here are a few easy reading but very important books.

46 Pages

In this book Scott Liell examines the impact that Thomas Paine's pamphlet "Common Sense" had on American sentiment and the move toward independence. Liell argues, and does so quite persuasively, that Common Sense is what finally tipped the balance in favor of those who wanted to break from Britain, and that the work was largely responsible for the enormous shift in sentiment that occurred between the Continental Congress's Olive Branch petition in 1775 and the Declaration of Independence in 1776.

Common Sense was published in January, 1776, and met with immediate and unparalleled success. Liell's argument is that, before Common Sense, very few average people had a reason to want Independence, and that the pamphlet almost instantaneously gave them reason to want to break from Britain. Paine, he says, was bold enough to say things that even the ardent independents like John Adams were too timid to say, and that this helped turn the tide toward the ultimate decision to sever ties with the motherland.

Liell makes a good case. In all our focus on men like Washington, Adams, Jefferson, and Franklin, we often overlook the impact Paine and his writing had on the revolutionary cause. This is a very short book and a quick read, but it is very much worth the effort. The work is part biography, part criticism of the pamphlet, and flows along very nicely. While it is a quick read Liell manages to make a powerful argument, one that is certainly worth looking at for anyone interested in the period.

http://www.amazon.com/46-Pages-Scott-Liell/dp/0762418133

Thanks to JT for this one. So once you understand that Common Sense was based on Natural Law you can move on to:

End Of All Evil

Evil enslaves. Evil is found in words such as force, compulsion, tax, violence, theft, censure, and politics. Notice that in such things, there is no joy. None have any value to humanity.

This book defines the doctrine of liberty, and teaches you why choices that affect your life can only rightfully be made by you.

http://whatonearthishappening.com/images/stories/woeih/podcast/073/End-Of-All-Evil.pdf

The Most Dangerous Superstition

The primary threat to freedom and justice is not greed, or hatred, or any of the other emotions or human flaws usually blamed for such things. Instead, it is one ubiquitous superstition which infects the minds of people of all races, religions and nationalities, which deceives decent, well-intentioned people into supporting and advocating violence and oppression. Even without making human beings one bit more wise or virtuous, removing that one superstition would remove the vast majority of injustice and suffering from the world.

http://www.mensenrechten.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/the-most-dangerous-superstition-larken-rose-20111.pdf
This country did not achieve greatness with the mindset of "safety first" but rather "live free or die".

Truth is the currency of love. R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution!

We are all running on Gods laptop.
The problem is the virus called the Illuminati.  ~EvadingGrid

The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Offline jofortruth

• The Great Deception
Don't believe me. Look it up yourself!

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 12:33:32 PM »
My mother is a great fan of Charles Dickens. She recommends "A Christmas carol".  8)

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 08:11:43 AM »
My mother just bought two books in the store. Virginia Woolf "Mrs Dalloway" and Andrey Tarkovsky "Voyage in time".

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 02:02:10 PM »
I just red first story of Edgar Allan Poe "Metzengerstein: A Tale in Imitation of the German".  :P
Honestly, I did not understood the point of that story. 8)

EvadingGrid

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 04:04:33 PM »
I read a lot of junk like

Agatha Raisin and Hamish Mc Beth stories by M.C. Beaton

They are detective stories, but with a bit of humour and very easy reading.

http://www.agatharaisin.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agatha_Raisin

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 12:32:24 PM »
On the "Yard Sale" in suburban Belgrade , my father bought me booked of Dutch historian Abraham H. Paape ( Jewish origin ?) - "Second World War" ( Belgrade,1980). In original "Bericht van de tweede Wereld oorlog" ( Amsterdam, 1975).

The one interested in World War II will be delighted to illustrations. I'm not sure the books are translated into English.
This book reading my father, myself and youngest brother ( who graduate only primary school ! )

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 03:40:46 PM »

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 12:08:41 AM »
Yesterday, I read the first book of Dostoevsky's "Poor Folk". And I have 37 years.  :-[

This novel does not recommend people who are in financial trouble.  ::)
Dostoevsky as if this novel he wrote yesterday.

Offline pac522

• Peace sells, but who's buying?
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 01:05:12 AM »
Take a look around.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/

Start here:

Proofs of a Conspiracy
by John Robison

http://www.sacred-texts.com/sro/pc/
This country did not achieve greatness with the mindset of "safety first" but rather "live free or die".

Truth is the currency of love. R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution!

We are all running on Gods laptop.
The problem is the virus called the Illuminati.  ~EvadingGrid

The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Pirate

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 01:09:12 PM »
wow did not know it was on line there

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 06:28:16 PM »
Most influential academic book in history  :o  ;D

The top 20

Origin of species by Charles Darwin
A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft
Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin
Orientalism by Edward Said
Silent Spring by Rachel Carson
The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare
The Female Eunuch by Germaine Greer
The Making of the English Working Class by EP Thompson
The Meaning of Relativity by Albert Einstein
The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris
The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli
The Republic by Plato
The Rights of Man by Thomas Paine
The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir
The Uses of Literacy by Richard Hoggart
The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
Ways of Seeing by John Berger

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/nov/10/on-the-origin-of-species-voted-most-influential-academic-book-charles-darwinhttp://

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 02:04:48 PM »
For the New Year I recommend the book by Italian journalist "Kurzio Malaparte" - "The Skin" (1949).

The book will like it because it describes the liberation of Naples in Italy by the Western allies and the enthusiastic reception of Italians during World War II.

Offline ShamRok

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 07:28:21 AM »
I'm currently reading "Government Zero" by Micheal Savage, it's on the NYT best sellers list.

I listen to his radio show "The Savage Nation" so there isn't much new info for me, I just like seeing the current state of the world it all laid out in one complete thought.

He's banned from England, so he must be saying something right!
Liberty...almost gone, but not forgotten!
Operation ShamRok is in effect!
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=313252.0
The pen is mightier then the sword..and mine is digital!

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 04:28:56 PM »
I'm currently reading "Government Zero" by Micheal Savage, it's on the NYT best sellers list.

I listen to his radio show "The Savage Nation" so there isn't much new info for me, I just like seeing the current state of the world it all laid out in one complete thought.

He's banned from England, so he must be saying something right!

Here in Belgrade, Serbia in book there is lot of books whose on its cover says "New York Times bestseller" but I doubt that will occur at least 1 book Michael Savage. Unfortunately. :(

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 09:13:58 PM »
At a ceremony marking the 85th anniversary of the Belgrade City Library today announced titles 10 most read books in 2015, and the first place went to Michel Houellebecq's novel "Submission".

2. Jo Nesbo thriller "The Snowman";
3. Guillaume Musso "The Girl on paper"
4. Haruki Murakami "The Kafka on the shore"
5. Harlan Coben "The Caught"
6. Irvin D. Yalom " The Schopenhauer cure"
7. Kennet Follet "The Edge of eternity"
8. Frédéric Beigbeder " The Romantic Egoist"
9. H. Coben "To kill a mocking bird"
10. Rodrigo Munyoz Avia   "Psychiatrists, psychologists and other patients"

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2016, 08:18:28 PM »
I just read "Brave New World" from A. Huxley.

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 01:10:49 PM »
On this day in 1905 Czarist Russia were first published "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion". I read the book or with a bad translation, or I was not focused enough.

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2016, 04:10:31 PM »
On this day in 1982 in the daily "Oslobodjenje" from Sarajevo, Tito's veterans from WW2 from the small town of Gacko " vigorously and unanimously condemn" Vuk Draskovic's novel "The Knife".
"People`s Hero" and retired General of Yugoslav People Army General V. Segrt also condemned Draskovic`s book "although he had not read."  :P

https://www.abebooks.com/Knife-Vuk-Draskovic-Milo-Yelesiyevich-Serbian/14094746864/bdhttp://

Novel "The Knife" was bestseller although was forbidden by Communist Government.

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 02:22:41 PM »
Bestsellers in USA ( according "NY Times" )

1. John Grisham "The Whistler"
 2. James Patterson "Cross the Line"
 3. Nicolas Sparks "Two by two"
 4. Janet Evanovich "Turbo 23"
 5. David Baldacci "No Man`s land"

Bestsellers in Serbia ( according newspaper "V. Novosti" )

1. Ivana Dimic "Arzamas"
 2. Radomir Dmitrovic "Cross against Cross"
 3. Mirjana Bobic Mojsilovic "The your guardian angel"
 4. Ll. Habjanovic-Djurovic "And then came the good fairy"
 5. Jelica Greganovic "My name is mom"
 6. J. Rowling "The Harry Potter and cursed child" *
 7. Carlos Ruiz Safon "The Labyrinth of Spirits"
 8. Vladimir Tabasevic "

Offline MerryMom

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 05:02:10 PM »
I just read "Brave New World" from A. Huxley.

I read Brave New World years ago.  I am sure I would see different things in it if I read it again today.  I just finished "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" by Matt Bracken.  It was a great story. 
Marge Gunderson:  "And for what? For a little bit of money? There's more to life than a little money, you know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it."

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 05:18:07 PM »
I read Brave New World years ago.  I am sure I would see different things in it if I read it again today.  I just finished "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" by Matt Bracken.  It was a great story.

Sounds interesting. I'll look for that book in bookstores, fairs ...
You will not believe, I could not find "Brave New World", "1984" (much better than the movie). In Belgrade, the sale "sentimental" books and one book that says that "New York Times bestseller".
Do you read any Serbian book ?

Offline MerryMom

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 12:45:24 PM »
I wouldn't know how to get a Serbian book. Do they print them in English? Is there a particular one that is good to read?
Marge Gunderson:  "And for what? For a little bit of money? There's more to life than a little money, you know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it."

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 12:52:18 PM »
I wouldn't know how to get a Serbian book. Do they print them in English? Is there a particular one that is good to read?

MerryMom, here in Belgrade there is Serbian book on English. It depends what you like to read.
I like to read ( national ) history but last year i began to read belles lettres.