California Farmers On Drought: ‘You’re Going To See Higher Prices’

Author Topic: California Farmers On Drought: ‘You’re Going To See Higher Prices’  (Read 92245 times)

Offline larsonstdoc

Re: Why the California drought will be worse than everyone thinks
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2015, 06:31:43 PM »
Why the California drought will be worse than everyone thinks
7 April 2015
, by David Weidner - San Francisco (MarketWatch)
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-the-california-drought-will-be-worse-than-everyone-thinks-2015-04-07

We’re told by economists that the California drought is no cause for concern to the nation. The agriculture industry isn’t being forced into additional cuts. Food prices will increase only slightly.

A lot of BS.

I saw an article----NASA said, if California doesn't get good rain this year, they are in big trouble.  They have one year of water left.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/mar/16/california-water-drought-nasa-warning

Drought-stricken California only has one year of water left, Nasa scientist warns
I'M A DEPLORABLE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT SUPPORTS PRESIDENT TRUMP.  MAY GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIM SAFE.

Offline windyacres

• 2+2=4
The farmers have to and always have passed on higher costs.
I buy a lot of raisins and they've gone from 5 pound bags to 4 pound bags
now, same store, same brand.   They'll game the numbers like we've
been seeing with food inflation, you get less amounts.   Raisins freeze
very well, and they don't even need to be in vacuum sealed bags. 
Be Prepared

Offline larsonstdoc

The farmers have to and always have passed on higher costs.
I buy a lot of raisins and they've gone from 5 pound bags to 4 pound bags
now, same store, same brand.   They'll game the numbers like we've
been seeing with food inflation, you get less amounts.   Raisins freeze
very well, and they don't even need to be in vacuum sealed bags.

Thanks for the info.  You told me we should have a preparedness part of the forum.  I agree.

We eat lots of raisins.  I just heard that they are a great source for BORON---probably the best source.  Boron keeps the magnesium in your body that you ingest.  I take 1000mg per day of Magnesium.  Boron also levels out the testosterone and estrogen levels in both men and women THEREBY GIVING US MORE ENERGY.  EAT THE RAISINS.
I'M A DEPLORABLE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT SUPPORTS PRESIDENT TRUMP.  MAY GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIM SAFE.

Offline windyacres

• 2+2=4
That would be great to have a dedicated area of the
forum for Prepping.  That's something I know a lot about
including long term food storage.  There are some do's and
don'ts when it comes to storing food and other preps but if
you have the right info and guidelines, it's easy.  It does take
space in a person's house, but there's ways around that if one
really wants to prep.    There's so much more then just food storage.

Good info on the
boron and magnesium, I didn't know that.

What I do
when I freeze raisins is divvy the big bag into smaller
sandwich size zip lock style bags, flatten them out,
squish all the air out and seal them up.   I flatten everything
because it takes less space in the freezer, they stack nicely
and takes less time to thaw.   Most of the raisins come from
California, mostly around the Fresno area which gets really
hot, averages 105* all summer. 

Grape orchards as DH and
I call them, they're watered two different ways.  Flood irrigation
every 2 weeks and in the grape vineyards where the grapes are
used for wine, they use above ground sprinklers, to water way
above the vines in a scattered direction, a lot like a big "rain-bird"
style sprinkler. 
Be Prepared

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
How the Drought Is Changing California Forever
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2015, 07:20:04 AM »
9 April 2015
, by James Nash (Bloomberg)
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-09/cambria-showers-with-pails-as-drought-shapes-california-s-future

Cambria, a seaside hamlet of vacation homes and wine bars, offers a glimpse of how far Californians must go to conserve water as the most populous U.S. state struggles through the worst drought in its history.
->>>|:-) THE CITY INDIANS (-:|<<<-

Offline Valerius

Does anybody audit the water reserves?
"No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck."  -Frederick Douglass

Offline decemberfellow

Windyacres
forum for Prepping.
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=174043.msg1035153#msg1035153
Rev21:4
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Who am I
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Fk6dt_uHo

Offline larsonstdoc

Re: How the Drought Is Changing California Forever
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2015, 09:26:55 AM »
9 April 2015
, by James Nash (Bloomberg)
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-09/cambria-showers-with-pails-as-drought-shapes-california-s-future

Cambria, a seaside hamlet of vacation homes and wine bars, offers a glimpse of how far Californians must go to conserve water as the most populous U.S. state struggles through the worst drought in its history.

Cambria has their act together.  But check this out from the article (below).  THEY NEED TO FORCE THOSE WITH GRASS LAWNS TO SUBSTITUTE THEM WITH EITHER ASTROTURF OR CACTUS LAWNS.  Of course pool water can be used for multiple years.  I just hate the chemicals---chlorine, etc.

Depending on the location and season, 40 to 70 percent of Californians’ water goes toward lawns, gardens, landscaping and pools, said Deven Upadhyay, resource manager for the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California. Decades of population growth and dry spells have led to improvements such as low-flow showerheads and more efficient appliances, yet the suburban ideal of a carpet of green grass has persisted, Upadhyay said.

Offline larsonstdoc

forum for Prepping.  That's something I know a lot about
including long term food storage.  There are some do's and
don'ts when it comes to storing food and other preps but if
you have the right info and guidelines, it's easy.  It does take
space in a person's house, but there's ways around that if one
really wants to prep.    There's so much more then just food storage.

Good info on the
boron and magnesium, I didn't know that.

What I do
when I freeze raisins is divvy the big bag into smaller
sandwich size zip lock style bags, flatten them out,
squish all the air out and seal them up.   I flatten everything
because it takes less space in the freezer, they stack nicely
and takes less time to thaw.   Most of the raisins come from
California, mostly around the Fresno area which gets really
hot, averages 105* all summer. 

Grape orchards as DH and
I call them, they're watered two different ways.  Flood irrigation
every 2 weeks and in the grape vineyards where the grapes are
used for wine, they use above ground sprinklers, to water way
above the vines in a scattered direction, a lot like a big "rain-bird"
style sprinkler.

Thanks for the info on raisin storage.  We are learning what is edible in these beautiful Montana mountains---herbs, berries,etc.  Just picked up some material (before the full leaves come out) from cottonwood trees that we can use for skin problems and a salve.

Offline windyacres

• 2+2=4
Does anybody audit the water reserves?

No and there are a lot of leaks they know about that
they aren't fixing.   As of now they're going to impose
a new bureaucratic agency to monitor how much the farmers
are drawing up out of the ground from the deep wells they've
had to drill in the last few years.   They plan on implementing
that in just over a year.   From what I've been reading it sounds
like the state will tell the farmer's soon how much they can use
from their own wells. 

What's not being talked about is fire season.  It's already abnormally
dry in the state,  and it won't take much for a fire to get out of control
in the dry conditions.    For a lot of the people who've been through
droughts and water restrictions in the past, there's not much you can
do after a while to conserve water.   To this day and I don't live there
anymore, before I pour a big bowl of pet water down the drain, it's
normal for me to walk it outside and dump it on a plant or a bush, etc.

Living through past droughts and water restrictions, the narking on
people is going to get absolutely outrageous.   
Be Prepared

Offline windyacres

• 2+2=4
  Thanks for the info on raisin storage.  We are learning what is edible in these beautiful Montana mountains---herbs, berries,etc.  Just picked up some material (before the full leaves come out) from cottonwood trees that we can use for skin problems and a salve.

Bushcraft is a very important skill to have in so many ways, what's
growing that's edible, useful, in your own "backyard".   I think in not
too many years from now bushcraft, home vege gardens, food preservation,
etc. is going to be very important.   I'm also wondering if pantry's will
come back in style like everyone had not too many decades ago.   
Be Prepared

Offline windyacres

• 2+2=4

Sacramento Utility Warns Water Wasters Could Be Cut Off If They Don’t Cut Back

American Water Utility Sacramento may be forced to restrict or cut off water to people who waste it, saying if people don’t start cutting back, it may have no choice

http://www.infowars.com/sacramento-utility-warns-water-wasters-could-be-cut-off-if-they-dont-cut-back/
Be Prepared

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
California's New Era of Heat Destroys All Previous Records
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2015, 10:35:31 AM »
California's New Era of Heat Destroys All Previous Records - Sadly, this is only the beginning
10 April 2015
, by Tom Randall (Bloomberg)
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-10/california-s-new-era-of-heat-destroys-all-previous-records

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
California Drought-Fighters Turn to Australians for Help
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2015, 10:43:01 AM »
California Drought-Fighters Turn to Australians for Help
10 April 2015
, by Randall Hackley, Lynn Doan and Phoebe Sedgman (Bloomberg)
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-09/california-drought-fighters-yearn-for-australia-like-wins

Offline larsonstdoc

Re: California's New Era of Heat Destroys All Previous Records
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2015, 12:29:38 PM »
California's New Era of Heat Destroys All Previous Records - Sadly, this is only the beginning
10 April 2015
, by Tom Randall (Bloomberg)
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-10/california-s-new-era-of-heat-destroys-all-previous-records

A gallon of water to grow a single almond.  Wow.  Are they telling the truth.

The video said that 80% of the water in CA is for farming.

Time to subsidize the farmer and not the BANKERS.  OF COURSE, WHERE ARE THEY GOING TO GET THE WATER?

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
Dust Bowl 2.0: California's Historic Drought About To Get Even Worse As "Snowpack Melts Early Across The West"
10 April 2015
, by Tyler Durden (Zero Hedge)
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-04-10/californias-historic-drought-about-get-even-worse-snowpack-melts-early-across-west

Offline windyacres

• 2+2=4
Yes almonds take a significant amount of water, but almonds
have so many good nutritional benefits, that would be a few
page thread all on its' own.  There are 2 types of Almonds,
hard shell and soft shell which are about 3-4 weeks apart in
harvest.  Soft shell almonds are pretty cool, you can literally
pinch them between your thumb and pointer finger and the shell
breaks open to get the almond.   

The temps lately have been unreal for this year so far, even in January
there were some already hot days.  Friends there even are shocked at
the temps.  (Northern California)

I'm not believing 80% of the water is for Agriculture, we lived
 in California  all our lives before we moved out of state and with the snow pack,
they let it melt and pour into the Pacific Ocean .  Hetch-Hetchy water district
and millions of gallons per second cascading into the ocean and they don't
and never have try to reclaim it, divert it, etc. 

This drought will cause so many economic problems the articles aren't
even touching and with Moonbeam in office, he'll keep declaring
state emergencies only for the federal bail out money and not a dime
will go towards a smart solution.   And when people conserve and the
water districts aren't getting as much revenues from monthly water bills,
they'll raise the price.   
Be Prepared

Offline larsonstdoc

^^^^^^

Thanks for the almond info.  I did not know there was a hard almond and a soft almond.

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
^^^^^^
  Thanks for the almond info.  I did not know there was a hard almond and a soft almond.

NWO globalist Busy bodies want you to eat foreign almonds now ...

This slush fund board (that and C A(ir) RB 500 MILLION A YEAR ) :  ....   700 MILLION dollars ... a YEAR ,,,,

All the Sierra club people have cush jobs in these depts. at the state teet. So for fifty years they have been stopping any construction  of new dams and reservoirs ...

Farms don't vote ... Farms don't increase the taxable base that new construction does ... new citizens vote and pay New taxes  ... So they approve of every development and allow water and sewage treatment in those fat water years, until now ... there is no more water for that ... and now they come for the Ag ....

So they spend 1.3 Billion dollars a year (it used to be over 2 billion remember MTBE? ) on WHAT?

http://www.ebudget.ca.gov/2012-13-EN/Enacted/StateAgencyBudgets/3890/3940/department.html
3940 State Water Resources Control Board
The State Water Resources Control Board (State Board) and the nine Regional Water Quality Control Boards (Regional Boards) preserve and enhance the quality of California's water resources and ensure proper allocation and effective use. These objectives are achieved through the Water Quality and Water Rights programs.

Total Dollars $711,633,000 

http://www.ebudget.ca.gov/2012-13-EN/Enacted/StateAgencyBudgets/3890/agency.html
Environmental Protection

California Environmental Protection Agency programs restore and protect environmental quality, and protect public health. The Secretary coordinates the state's environmental regulatory programs and ensures fair and consistent enforcement of environmental law, which safeguards the state's residents and promotes the state's economic vitality

Total Dollars $1,302,102,000

http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/article4386210.html
Almond growers say industry adds $11 billion to California economy

By Dale Kasler - dkasler@sacbee.com
  12/09/2014 5:00 AM
  | Updated: 12/09/2014 7:16 PM

Almonds have become California agriculture’s super crop in recent years. Now the state’s almond industry, facing scrutiny over its water usage in a time of drought, is making a statement about the industry’s contribution to the state’s economy.

A report released Tuesday by the Almond Board of California says the industry contributes about $11 billion a year to the state’s gross domestic product. The figure includes production of the crop itself and the processing and marketing of the nuts. The study, by the Agricultural Issues Center at UC Davis, says almond-related activities generate 104,000 jobs statewide.

Almond growing has become an increasingly important sector of California’s farm economy in recent years, and almonds are the state’s leading agricultural export.

The amount of California land devoted to almonds has nearly doubled in the past 20 years, to more than 900,000 acres, as worldwide demand has soared. California accounts for 99 percent of the U.S. almond crop.

But the growth has been accompanied by some controversy. Some environmental groups have criticized growers for expanding their orchards during the drought. They argue that farmers have put additional stress on the state’s overtaxed water system by planting almond trees, which, unlike field crops, can’t be fallowed in dry years. The problem is worsened, environmentalists say, because almonds are fairly thirsty compared to many other crops.

Almond growers say they’re simply doing what makes economic sense by using their scarce water allocations to produce a crop that creates maximum value
. Economist Daniel Sumner, director of the UC Davis center and the study’s author, said farmers aren’t deliberately planting orchards in regions with unstable water supplies.

“Every day in California agriculture, water is the No. 1 issue on everybody’s mind,” Sumner said at a news conference unveiling the report. “These guys aren’t dummies. The first thing they’re thinking about before you plant a tree is to have some source of water.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/article4386210.html#storylink=cpy

| - - - - 

They have already destroyed the Avocado industry ... So now get you bug / pesticide fruit from abroad ...

http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/11/03/kiss-your-guacamole-goodbye-california-farmers-stop-growing-avocados
Kiss Your Guacamole Good-Bye: Drought-Stricken California Farmers Stop Growing Avocados
But new techniques may help growers squeeze more fruit from fewer acres with less water.

When Chipotle warned investors back in March that it might suspend serving guacamole at its restaurants if avocado prices rose because of the California drought, climate change hit home for chip-and-dip lovers, who took to Twitter in distress.

Things have not gotten better since then.

It takes 74 gallons of water to produce one pound of avocados—and drought-stricken California produces 95 percent of the avocados grown in the United States. No wonder Chipotle’s bean counters are worried.

One-third of the state’s avocados are grown in San Diego County, which has some of the highest water prices in the state. In Valley Center, a town that is home to many family farms, avocado growers have seen water rates rise steeply in recent years—so much so that irrigating their groves has become more expensive than the price they get for selling their avocados.

Water isn’t the only challenge. University of California Cooperative Extension farm adviser Gary Bender points out that avocado growers have been hit by a triple whammy: rising fertilizer costs, spikes in water rates, and stagnant wholesale prices owing to competition from cheap imports from Peru, Chile, and Mexico.

This has forced many small farmers to shut off the water and let their groves go dry.

Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole ; He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee. - Job 5

Offline larsonstdoc

NWO globalist Busy bodies want you to eat foreign almonds now ...

This slush fund board (that and C A(ir) RB 500 MILLION A YEAR ) :  ....   700 MILLION dollars ... a YEAR ,,,,

All the Sierra club people have cush jobs in these depts. at the state teet. So for fifty years they have been stopping any construction  of new dams and reservoirs ...

Farms don't vote ... Farms don't increase the taxable base that new construction does ... new citizens vote and pay New taxes  ... So they approve of every development and allow water and sewage treatment in those fat water years, until now ... there is no more water for that ... and now they come for the Ag ....

So they spend 1.3 Billion dollars a year (it used to be over 2 billion remember MTBE? ) on WHAT?

The produce up here is still reasonable.  I did see some avocados for less than a dollar--I am sure from South America.  Yes, I would hate to own a Mexican restaurant.

All these bureauRATS don't care what goes on AS LONG AS THEY GET PAID.   Seems like these agencies are over staffed and they impose a lot of laws on the people/farms.  WE DON'T NEED BUREAUCRACY.  WE NEED SOLUTIONS. 

I am surprised that many of these jerks aren't plugged.  They have ruined a lot of lives.

I'm betting some agency is modifying the weather over the Pacific TO CAUSE THE DROUGHT IN CALIFORNIA.

And no good ever comes out of the Sierra Club---tree huggers.

Offline larsonstdoc

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/whos-to-blame-for-californias-drought

excerpt below...

Who’s to Blame for California’s Drought?

Those inclined to blame farming for abusing the state’s water resources sometimes cite a statistic holding that agriculture takes up eighty per cent of the state’s water, but, to be clear, that’s eighty per cent of human use, which doesn’t count environmental use. (The other twenty per cent comes from municipal use.) Much has been made, too, of the fact that large farms were excluded from an executive order signed by Governor Jerry Brown last week requiring municipalities across the state to reduce their water use by a total of twenty-five per cent, compared to 2013 levels, by February next year. Some have suggested that the exemption may be politically motivated; the agriculture lobby is powerful in California, and one man in particular, a farming magnate named Stewart Resnick, is a major Democratic donor who has made campaign contributions to Brown and other influential politicians. When I ran that argument by a spokesman for Brown, he replied, in an e-mail, that “reducing this to politics . . . simplifies very complicated / multi-layered issues and ignores all of the action / impacts that preceded” last week’s executive order.

It’s not unusual, of course, for politics to influence policy decisions, and the farm lobby’s influence may well have played a role in shaping Brown’s executive order. But the spokesman was alluding to the fact—elided in some critics’ analysis of the situation—that farms, like cities, have already been hit by water restrictions. Farms and cities get their water differently. In cities, local water agencies generally send surface water and groundwater to residents and businesses through pipes; during the drought, that water has continued to flow, though some agencies have restricted how residents can use it. (For instance, lawn watering has been restricted, in many places, to twice a week.) Farms, on the other hand, are allotted rights to surface water based on a complex seniority system. During this drought, many junior rights holders—but not senior ones—have had their access to surface water diminished or shut off. Big swaths of farmland have gone fallow as a result—about five per cent of agricultural land statewide. It’s worth noting, however, that farmers have two additional options for acquiring water. They can buy water rights from one another, and they can pump as much groundwater as they like. As a result, the state’s groundwater has been depleted considerably. Governor Brown recently signed a law restricting groundwater use, but it doesn’t require that groundwater basins become sustainable until 2040, though certain planning milestones have to be met before then. The drought has compelled some experts to suggest that timeline be significantly accelerated.

That brings us to cities, which will bear the immediate brunt of the regulations in Brown’s executive order, even though they use far less water than the environment or agriculture. There’s a simple logistical reason for this, beyond the political explanations: when it comes to imposing short-term water restrictions, cities provide some of the lowest-cost opportunities. That’s because about half of the water used in urban areas goes toward watering lawns and other residential and commercial landscapes—things that have little social benefit, compared with environmental uses, which help the planet and its residents, and agricultural functions, which nourish people around the world and boost California’s economy and provide jobs. On Tuesday, the state sketched a preliminary plan for how cities will be told to meet the mandated statewide reduction of twenty-five per cent; it calls for big water guzzlers—including Beverly Hills, Newport Beach, and Palos Verdes, where a disproportionate number of houses sit on large, elaborately landscaped lawns—to decrease their water consumption by thirty-five per cent, while communities that already use water efficiently would be asked to make smaller reductions. San Francisco, for its part, whose residences tend to have small or nonexistent lawns, would face only a ten-per-cent decrease.

Offline larsonstdoc

http://news.yahoo.com/california-deltas-water-mysteriously-missing-amid-drought-152006674.html

California delta's water mysteriously missing amid drought

FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — As California struggles with a devastating drought, huge amounts of water are mysteriously vanishing from the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta — and the prime suspects are farmers whose families have tilled fertile soil there for generations.

A state investigation was launched following complaints from two large agencies that supply water to arid farmland in the Central Valley and to millions of residents as far south as San Diego.

Delta farmers don't deny using as much water as they need. But they say they're not stealing it because their history of living at the water's edge gives them that right. Still, they have been asked to report how much water they're pumping and to prove their legal rights to it.

Offline Valerius

"No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck."  -Frederick Douglass

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
ahem...
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/apr/11/california-deltas-water-mysteriously-missing-amid/

from the way back machine ....

please read thru thread :  Topic: Fresno? Any Word?

Topic: Fresno? Any Word?

It is my understanding that the water was taken control of in Fresno, CA so that the farmers cannot water their crops.

This was done in the name of HR 2454 and the sham of carbon taxes & global warming.  Even before it has gone to the Senate and been passed there?  Is this correct?

Anway.  "We Are Change" was going to demonstrate and be present there today and are passing out 10,000 of The Obama Deception

Is there any word on what is going on?   

Fresno produces so much food, you wouldn't believe it.  And, there is plenty of water for the entire Central Valley of CA to produce food as the farmers tapped into the aquifer.

CA's water shortage is a SET-UP FARCE!

http://www.fcfb.org/News/Current-FFU.php

July 3, 2009:

Thousands rally and march in Downtown Fresno for water

They came from Hanford, Merced, Visalia and even Santa Rosa. Farmers, farm workers, consumers, and self-proclaimed “patriots” gathered by the thousands on Wednesday in Downtown Fresno to show support for restoring a contract water supply to the west side and to preserve the Valley’s ability to help feed the nation.

Led by CA Latino Water Coalition Chair Paul Rodriguez, an estimated 4,000-plus people gathered in front of City Hall to hear speaker-after-speaker make passionate pleas for placing jobs, economic stability, protection of rural communities, and domestic food production ahead of protecting a non-commercial, insignificant fish species.

“Who wouldn’t want the San Joaquin Valley to be what God intended it to be—the breadbasket of the world,” said Rodriguez. “We are all united in this [fight]. We can choose to set aside other differences on issues. This rally is about one thing only—water and the abundance of it in the Valley,” he added, emphasizing the diversity of people and perspectives who came together to focus on the need for an adequate water supply. Rodriguez also expressed concern for out-of-work commercial fishermen, who share the same plight as unemployed farm employees. “We are on the same side; we are on your side [in this]. We’re not your enemy,” Rodriguez said, placing blame on environmentalist organizations for causing the differences among the food producing groups.

Rodriguez introduced more than 15 speakers who reiterated the need for restoring water to the Valley’s west side. Among them were Fresno Mayor Ashley Swearengin; Fresno County Supervisors Phil Larson, Debbie Poochigian and Judy Case; Mendota Mayor Robert Silva; Orange Cove Mayor Victor Lopez; farmers and business representatives; and agricultural and water organization representatives.

FCFB President Dan Errotabere discussed the importance of preserving the Valley, only one of five Mediterranean growing regions in the world. "Without providing the tools we need, like water, we stand to lose this valuable region and the ability to feed ourselves. We then will have to look elsewhere for food.  And, we will have to compete with the rest of the world,” said Errotabere, citing a United Nations’ report that estimates there will be a 25 percent shortage of food worldwide by 2050.

Errotabere also reminded rally participants that farmers are not the end user of this water. “The water we use on our farms produces food and fiber products for consumers. Along the way, this water generates jobs, regional economic activity and value-added products for consumers here and abroad. The simple fact is it takes water to grow our food – upwards of 900 gallons to produce an average breakfast, lunch and dinner for each person each day,” he said.

Rally Participant Susan Marquez, of Santa Rosa, is a representative of the North Bay Patriots Project, a non-partisan U.S. Constitution support organization. She and several members came to Fresno to show support for the “people who feed us.”

At the conclusion of the rally, thousands of supporters gathered on P Street to march through the downtown civic area carrying signs and chanting.  Plans for additional rallies outside of the area are being discussed and organizers say that efforts will continue until a more reliable water supply for the Valley is secured.

http://www.thebusinessjournal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=769:governor-on-firing-line-over-water-in-fresno&catid=91:government-a-politics&Itemid=771

Governor on firing line over water in Fresno        
Written by Gabriel Dillard     
Thursday, 18 June 2009 11:20 

Facing shouts of “turn on the pumps” and hard questions about a plan to take $9.3 million in gas tax funds from the City of Fresno, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger stopped at the Tower Theater today to talk about the state budget crisis.

About 200 people came to see Schwarzenegger’s talk, while another 50 or so picketed outside of the event. Protesters ranged from organized labor activists, farm advocates and people who would be impacted by his proposed state budget cuts.

Schwarzenegger told the crowd the state would run out of money on July 24. The Legislature must act soon to close a $24-billion budget deficit this year — a figure that could balloon to $60 million projecting out to two budget years, he said.

But water became the hot topic of the appearance. One audience member told Schwarzenegger that water should take priority over the budget because increased water deliveries would translate to higher revenues for the state. The man said Schwarzenegger refused to handle the issue, signaling a loss of control over state government.

Schwarzenegger went on the defensive after the comment, saying water has always been a priority. “I have been fighting for water for the past four years,” he said.

Another figure on the political scene with Hollywood ties, comedian Paul Rodriguez asked if Schwarzenegger would ask to convene the “God Squad” to see if more water could be pumped through federal facilities.

The “God Squad” is a committee of cabinet-level White House officials who could determine if exemptions to the Endangered Species Act (ESA) would be warranted to allow more federal pumping.

Schwarzenegger said out of five cases he is aware of, the committee has only been successful in relaxing ESA rules for one.

Rodriguez, chairman of the California Latino Water Coalition, asked Schwarzenegger if as he came into town he noticed more farm fields around Fresno were brown and dry due to the water shortage.

“Please don’t make us look like Bakersfield,” Rodriguez said.

Cynthia Sterling, Fresno City Council president, told Schwarzenegger about the dire straits the city would face if he follows through on a plan to take a portion of gas tax funds. She said the city would be forced to eliminate 31 jobs and face an immediate $2-million deficit tied to debt service that would otherwise be fulfilled by the funds.

Sterling — along with Fresno Mayor Ashley Swearengin, who introduced Schwarzenegger — asked him to borrow, not take the funds. Sterling said Fresno’s destiny is tied to Schwarzenegger’s if his proposal goes through.

“We will all go down, and you will go down with us,” Sterling said.

Schwarzenegger said with dramatic cuts to education and social services on the table, that everyone must sacrifice for a balanced budget.

20x2020 - ClimateGate redux - WaterGate - Water "Monitoring" Plans

Cal Water Resouce Board has MANDATED a 20 percent reduction in water usage (per capita) by all water systems by 2020.

The cal state utility commision has MANDATED all water systems that serve 500 housholds or more to meter the consumption of water.

Expect a 20 percent increase in your water bill by 2020

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/water/4335060
How California's New Water Laws Inform the Coming National Crisis
December 18, 2009
California: An urban water conservation mandate of 20 percent by 2020.

Gov. Schwarzenegger issued an executive order in 2008 instructing state agencies to begin investigating how to implement this within the framework of existing laws; now this order may become statutory.

National Implications: In California, as elsewhere, the opportunities for water efficiency improvement are tremendous, says Juliet Christian-Smith, a senior research associate at the Pacific Institute in Oakland, Calif. Less than a third of urban Californian businesses have low-flow toilets, for example, she says.

Residentially, some 60 percent of water use now goes toward irrigating the grass and garden, but homeowners could swap what Christian-Smith calls an "English countryside lawn" aesthetic for native, hardy vegetation. These notions continue to gain currency in the arid West, and similar governmental action may not be far behind in other states and municipalities. "Almost every state [in the West] is looking at conservation initiatives," says Tom Willardson, executive director of the Western States Water Council, an advisory body to 18 western states.
National Implications: Rain that falls on private property is not considered to be "owned" by the landholder in all states, making rainwater collection potentially illegal. Several Western states and Alaska have regions that require homeowners to get permits first, and in Utah catchment is prohibited across the board. But there are signs that the trend towards rainwater collection rights is spreading, says Tim Pope, past president of the American Rainwater Catchment Systems Association. On Oct. 12, Washington state exempted homeowners from having to get a water-rights permit for catchment, and Colorado passed legislation recently allowing rainwater capture by citizens with private wells; Tucson, Ariz., meanwhile, mandates the practice for new commercial buildings starting June 2010.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/california-adopts-statewide-green-building-code/story?id=9638290&page=2
California Adopts First Statewide Green Building Code

The new code's mandatory measures will help reduce greenhouse-gas emissions by 3 million metric tons by 2020, according to David Walls, executive director of the state building commission. That gives plenty of time for builders and manufacturers to transition to the new code, he says, and doesn't even take into account emissions savings that might accrue voluntarily.

"This is going to change the whole way that buildings are conceived and constructed by incorporating green practices into our everyday building code," Mr. Walls said. "Other states will be looking at what we've done to try to mimic what we're doing."

Some environmental groups including the Sierra Club and the National Resources Defense Council were critical of the two-tier "Calgreen" voluntary rating system suggested by the new code. That would clash with the "LEED" rating system, a voluntary green building label widely used nationwide, and cause confusion among builders, they said.

[ What started with the Delta water (fake) drought fiasco has turn into a statewide squeeze on residential water use.]

see:
From Freedom to Fascism > Swarzenegger and the Nazification of California > Fresno? Any Word?

http://www.allianceforwaterefficiency.org/uploadedFiles/Resource_Center/Library/drought/CA-20x2020-Water-Conservation-Plan-final-report-draft-09-04-30.pdf

20x2020 Water Conservation Plan DRAFT April 30, 2009

Preface

In California, water is precious, competition for water is fierce, and conservation is critical. The value that Californians place on water is reflected in a constitutional provision ensuring its reasonable and beneficial use. Article X, section 2 of the California Constitution
prohibits the waste and unreasonable use of this precious resource.

All water within the state is the property of the state, but the right to use water may be acquired under California law.

To manage competition for scarce water supplies, California has an appropriative water right system that provides for the orderly development of the state's water resources while safeguarding against waste and unreasonable use.

Despite constitutional provisions prohibiting waste and a system of water rights to manage
allocations, water conservation has always been important. California has a long history of laws, policies and practices that promote water conservation. Conservation and efficiency of water usage are recognized least-cost strategies to help ensure a vital economy, a healthy environment, and a high standard of living.

As our understanding, knowledge and technology improve, we have learned that our use
of water for given purposes can also improve. Statutes and policies have been instituted that continually define our evolving abilities to do more with less water and begin to restore the health of the natural water systems on which we so greatly depend. Yet, with a burgeoning population and the movement of that population to drier climates, our overall demand for water has exceeded our reliable developed supply. Without additional action, demand will continue to exceed supply.

The Delta is in crisis, drought has depleted our reservoirs and groundwater resources are overdrafted. Our need to pursue conservation and eliminate unnecessary uses of water is more important than ever to ensure the future health of our state.

20x2020 Planning Process
The process of developing the 20x2020 Plan is illustrated in Figure 3 (completed steps
are highlighted). There are five steps:
1. Data Analysis
2. Baseline Definition
3. Preliminary Targets Development
4. Conservation Potential Identification
5. Implementation Planning

Table 1. List of Best Management Practices (BMPs)
BMP Description
BMP 1 Water survey programs for residential customers
BMP 2 Residential plumbing retrofit
BMP 3 System water audits, leak detection and repair
BMP 4 Metering with commodity rates for all new connections and retrofit of existing
unmetered connections

BMP 5 Large landscape conservation programs and incentives
BMP 6 High efficiency clothes-washing machine financial incentive program
BMP 7 Public information programs
BMP 8 School education programs

BMP 9 Conservation programs for commercial, industrial, institutional (CII) accounts
BMP 10 Wholesale agency assistance programs
BMP 11 Retail conservation pricing
BMP 12 Conservation coordinator
BMP 13 Water waste prohibition
BMP 14 Residential ultra-low-flush toilet (ULFT) replacement programs

http://www.cedlink.org/publications/doc_download/544-climate-change-a-water-management.html&sa=U&ei=V88TTLChNdO1nAfl06GmDA&ved=0CCUQFjAJ&usg=AFQjCNEX9kjyzFE_MTuuObQpX7FMW-QP7g

The California Environmental Dialogue Perspective
Climate Change & Water Management Summary
September 2009

greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions

In 2008, as part of a seven-part comprehensive plan for improving the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta, Governor Schwarzenegger directed State agencies to develop a plan to reduce statewide per capita urban water use by 20 percent by the year 2020, marking the initiation of the 20x2020 Water Conservation Plan (20x2020 Plan) process.

The California Air Resources Board, in its AB 32 Climate Change Scoping Plan , proposes greenhouse gas emissions reduction strategies for the water sector.

The State Water Resources Control Board and the Water-Energy Subgroup of the Cal/EPA’s Climate Action Team also recognize the energy intensity of the state’s water resource use and underscore the need for increased water use efficiency and conservation. Finally, in its 2009 California Climate Adaptation Strategy Discussion Draft , the California Natural Resources Agency stresses the challenges the state’s water supply system will face under climate change and proposes water management adaptation strategies to address those challenges.

Climate Action - Use water-energy pilot program and local/regional resource agency data to develop performance metrics and thresholds that will serve as the foundation for GHG emissions reduction project protocols. The data gathered from the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) Water-Energy Pilot, Operational Energy Efficiency for Water Utilities, and Water-Energy
Cost-Effectiveness Calculator Program should be incorporated into the framework for water sector GHG emissions reduction quantification and credit allocation under the statewide emissions cap. When protocols are complete, public and private entities should quantify the contributions of water/climate projects to the AB 32 GHG emissions reduction goals.

Water-Energy Action - Encourage metering and other technologies that provide end users with a better understanding of their water consumption patterns, and help them to identify additional efficiency and conservation opportunities.

[ Note - The Smelt are NOT NATIVE and NOT ENDANGERED ]
Destroying California Farms to Save Smelt
The Wall Street Journal  September 10, 2009

California has a new endangered species on its hands in the San Joaquin Valley—farmers. Thanks to environmental regulations designed to protect the likes of the three-inch long delta smelt, one of America’s premier agricultural regions is suffering in a drought made worse by federal regulations.

The state’s water emergency is unfolding thanks to the latest mishandling of the Endangered Species Act. Last December, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issued what is known as a “biological opinion” imposing water reductions on the San Joaquin Valley and environs to safeguard the federally protected hypomesus transpacificus, a.k.a., the delta smelt.

As a result, tens of billions of gallons of water from mountains east and north of Sacramento have been channelled away from farmers and into the ocean, leaving hundreds of thousands of acres of arable land fallow or scorched.

For this, Californians can thank the usual environmental suspects, er, lawyers. Last year’s government ruling was the result of a 2006 lawsuit filed by the Natural Resources Defense Council and other outfits objecting to increased water pumping in the smelt vicinity.

In June, things got even dustier when the National Marine Fisheries Service concluded that local salmon and steelhead also needed to be defended from the valley’s water pumps. Those additional restrictions will begin to effect pumping operations next year.
Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole ; He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee. - Job 5

Offline larsonstdoc

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for the info Tahoe.

Reading trough it, there are 3 major problems in California....

1. The Endangered Species Act

2. Environmental groups

3. Bureaucrats that are not problem solvers

Offline larsonstdoc

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/06/house_gop_overrides_endangered_species_act_protections_to_pass_calif_water_bill/

more at the link...
  Fish or the people?  The environmentalists vote for the fish.
  written in 2014

House GOP overrides Endangered Species Act protections to pass California water bill

Republicans in the House of Representatives passed a bill Wednesday that would override federal rules and protections in California to allocate more water to farmers.

It would allow state and federal officials to pump more water out the San Joaquin-Sacramento River Delta in Northern California, a source of drinking water to 22 million Californians and home to endangered salmon, in what Gov. Jerry Brown called “an unwelcome and divisive intrusion into California’s efforts to manage this severe crisis” and Rep. John Garamendi (D) referred to as ”a theft of water from someone to give to somebody else, plain and simple.”

California, fresh off its driest year since record-keeping began in 1879, is now in the midst of what Gov. Jerry Brown has termed a “mega-drought,” with little relief in sight. State officials have cut off water to local agencies servicing 25 million residents, and while 17 communities are in danger of running out of water within 60 to 120 days, it’s farmers and the fishing industry that have so far been most severely affected.

Amid all that, state officials are emphasizing the need to use water “as wisely as possible.” To the GOP, that means targeting river restoration efforts, framing it as an issue of “fish versus the people” in order to do so.

Offline larsonstdoc

http://rense.com/general96/cadrought.html

Is The California Drought Caused By
Global Warming Or Fukushima Fallout?

Over the past three years since the massive escape of radioactive isotopes from Fukushima that started in March 2011, freakish weather events have hammered the Northern Hemisphere, from the California drought to an Arctic vortex freeze in the central United States, from a radical melt-off of the Arctic ice cover to serial typhoons slamming the Philippines. Wintertime tornadoes in the American Midwest and South, which never happened prior to the 311 meltdowns, are intensifying in power and frequency.
These weather anomalies point to a common catastrophic origin, which can be none other than the massive amount of radioactive particles released from the Fukushima reactor meltdowns in March 2011 and thereafter.. Tons of high-energy nuclear material carried by the jet stream and oceanic currents are unsettling normal weather patterns to leave a trail of destruction across North America and inside the Arctic Circle.
Instead of launching urgently needed research into the impact of radioactive isotopes on global weather systems, the scientific establishment in the US and at the international level is trying to pin the blame on global warming. A gradual temperature rise due to greenhouse gases cannot by any stretch of the imagination match the scale of these post-311 weather events. The avoidance of any mention, much less research, into radiation effects on weather, is leaving North American communities unprepared and defenseless against the lethal onslaught, which has probably already doomed many marine and coastal species while contaminating the food supply for the human population.

1. This Weather Channel image, shown at rense.com, reveals two radial lines emanating from Fort Richardson,
Alaska, one parallel parallel to the West Coast and another dividing two incoming storm fronts. The mass of
 clouds on the lower left were generated over the Japan Sea and passed by the radiation-releasing Fukushima nuclear plant.
The straight radial lines indicate electromagnetic manipulation of the radioactivity-charged atmosphere.

Offline Valerius

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
Even further back: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Water_Wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cWnubJ9CEw
Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppGd-2nEOVQ
Chinatown (7/9) Movie CLIP - Capable of Anything (1974) HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G0BVEIjGyo
Chinatown (2/9) Movie CLIP - Jake Likes His Nose (1974) HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjSshSvQWQA
Chinatown (1974) Ending - "Forget it Jake, It's Chinatown"

Offline larsonstdoc

^^^^^^^^
  Some of SoCal's water comes from Lake Mead near Las Vegas.  Lake Mead was created by Hoover Dam.

Could Lake Mead dry up? Shocking pictures reveal how Hoover Dam reservoir is shrinking so fast it could threaten Las Vegas water supply

Offline windyacres

• 2+2=4

The San Joaquin river/delta there also is a tiny, tiny fish
for years they demand to be saved  the "smelt" is its'
name and all kinds of water must be diverted to save this
smelt.  It's so small you almost don't see it when it's full grown.
The "Save the Smelt" is real and nobody agrees with it other than
bureaucratic agencies.

That whole area in the Central Vally get so burning hot for a solid
4+ months of the summer, if it cools down to 103 degrees Fahrenheit
you're relieved it wasn't 107 degrees Fahrenheit!  It's
not uncommon for 110 degrees Fahrenheit days either
but those usually last 3 days, then drop down to 106 degrees.

The crops do suffer
in that heat and if a farmer is on "irrigation" via canals delivering his
water for his fields or orchards, it's every 10 and sometimes every 14 days
and they sometimes only have 2 hours of water delivery before they have
to turn their gate valves closed.   And it's very expensive. (the water cost)

A lot
of almond orchards did go to drip irrigation for watering but to rip out
the sprinklers in an orchard and start from scratch is expensive.   Not all
orchards and fields are on "flood irrigation" watering method as it's called there.

An Almond tree takes 7 (seven) years to produce
A Pistachio tree takes 7 (seven) years to produce
and I think an avocado tree when planted as a young tree
is 5-6 years before it bears fruit (avocados)  so imagine even
more thousands of acres of fertile orchards dying, getting ripped out and
having to start all over, there will be years of no crops for certain
foods for a good 5- 7 years.   

Be Prepared

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
http://www.monolake.org/today/2015/04/01/april-1-lake-level-means-reduced-water-exports-to-la-more-protection-for-mono-lake/
April 1 lake level means reduced water exports to LA, more protection for Mono Lake
April 1st, 2015 by Geoff, Executive Director

DWP and Mono Lake Committee staff read Mono Lake’s lake level gauge together every April 1st, since the lake level determines allowed water export from the Mono Basin for the year. Photo by Elin Ljung.

This morning Mono Lake Committee staff met with Los Angeles Department of Water & Power (DWP) personnel to conduct the official annual April 1 reading of the lake level together. The consensus: Mono Lake stands at 6379.01 feet above sea level.

The lake has declined to a level at which water exports to Los Angeles are, by the terms of the State Water Board’s rules, automatically reduced by 70%. DWP will be limited to 4,500 acre-feet of water export, a lake-protecting restriction that no one, until recently, thought would ever be activated again. It was a solemn, though not unexpected outcome, given that California’s drought is entering its fourth year and the Mono Lake watershed is officially classified as being under “exceptional” drought.
If hard-won Mono Lake protection hadn’t been put into place two decades ago, the lake would be an unimaginable 29 feet lower, putting it at a salinity that would essentially end the ecosystem as we know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cWnubJ9CEw
Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppGd-2nEOVQ
Chinatown (7/9) Movie CLIP - Capable of Anything (1974) HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G0BVEIjGyo
Chinatown (2/9) Movie CLIP - Jake Likes His Nose (1974) HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjSshSvQWQA
Chinatown (1974) Ending - "Forget it Jake, It's Chinatown"

http://thesheetnews.com/2015/02/06/ladwp-to-reduce-water-grab-from-mono-basin/

The history of LADWP water diversions from Mono Lake tributary streams is long, beginning in the early 20th century when William Mullholland, a Los Angeles civil engineer, began systematically purchasing property in the Eastern Sierra, which gave him the water rights to all the tributary streams flowing into Mono Lake. LADWP began diverting water from these streams 350 miles down to Los Angeles in 1941, virtually cutting off all freshwater contribution to Mono Lake.

Noticing the significant change in water levels and the subsequent environmental effect, David Gaines and some other scientists formed the Mono Lake Committee in 1978 as a grass-roots organization that began fighting the LADWP in order to restore Mono Lake. In 1982, Mono Lake hit an all time low of 6,372 feet above sea level, dropping 45 vertically feet since the 1941 level of 6,417 feet.

In 1989, a California Superior Court injunction prohibited LADWP from diverting any water from the Mono Basin. After the 1994 decision, they began taking 4,500 acre feet in 1995 and since 1997, the lake level has been above the 6,380 feet threshold, allowing the LADWP to divert 16,000 acre feet a year.

Offline larsonstdoc

^^^^

So Tahoe, I read that the lowest level was 6372 back in 1982.

Are the environmentalists going to just let out 70% of LA's total for the year and say the hell with the people, WE HAVE TO SAVE OUR LAKE?

It's just bizarre. 

Can you imagine going into LA and teaching water conservation to  over a 100 different ethnic groups with different languages?

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
^^^^
  So Tahoe, I read that the lowest level was 6372 back in 1982.

Are the environmentalists going to just let out 70% of LA's total for the year and say the hell with the people, WE HAVE TO SAVE OUR LAKE?   It's just bizarre. 

Can you imagine going into LA and teaching water conservation to  over a 100 different ethnic groups with different languages?

Mono Lake is really important to migratory birds and wild life in the region...
If LA had it's way Mono lake would not exist now ...
Saving Mono lake came during the last big drought of the Seventies .... 

Either L.A. had/(has) to find more water elsewhere or stop growing ... Gee what a concept ...
L.A. got by this hurdle by buying water from the Colorado River ,,,, which is why Lake mead is nearly empty ...
Oh and this is how San Diego was able to continue to grow ...  Thank you Senator Reid !!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Mead
... the lake has not fully reached this capacity since 1983 due to a combination of drought and increased water demand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI4e1fVQ2WA
Las Vegas is screwed - Lake Mead drying up, Vegas, L.A., So Cal may have to be evacuated
Published on Aug 13, 2014
God's Revenge on Las Vegas, San Diego, Orange County and Los Angeles? All of the South West United States?

http://www.sonymoviechannel.com/movies/dogtown-and-z-boys
Dogtown Z-Boys ....

[ fyi -  notice any "fat kids" here? nope ... unheard off in my day ... there might be ONE in a thirty kid class ... ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-Boys
The mid-1970s brought a major drought to Southern California that parched Los Angeles. This drought brought on severe water restrictions, forcing many pool owners in the well-to-do neighborhoods to leave their swimming pools drained.

The Z-Boys saw opportunity, and like the Del Mar Nationals, they moved right in. They would drive through neighborhoods scouting for empty or semi-empty pools. They would even scout from high ridgelines. When they found a pool, they would sneak in and drain the remaining water in the pool so they could skate it. They even went as far as to bringing in their own hoses and water pumps just to clear out the dank water that collected in the pool's bottom.

The Z-Boys crew took their surf style of skating to the empty pools. Every day, each skater would try something new, pushing themselves and each other. They would skate the sides of the pool, closer and closer to the pool's coping as they got better. This was the birth of vertical skating, and it became the basis for skateboarding and many of the extreme sports seen today.[citation needed] One day during a skating session in the fall of 1977 in a pool nicknamed "the Dogbowl" in Santa Monica, the "eureka" moment arrived. Tony Alva pushed more and more on the coping until his board completely cleared the edge of the pool. He then twisted, doing a 180 degree turn and landed back in the pool, completing the very first aerial. This revolutionized skateboarding and many extreme sports. Many of the tricks performed on skateboards, and later snowboards, wakeboards, rollerblades and BMX bikes, would be performed in midair from that point on. The Z-Boys and their "Dogtown" style revived skateboarding, which had been on a major down-hill slump since the mid-1960s.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3031492/River-closings-drought-friendly-car-washes-barren-ski-resorts-signs-drought-stricken-California-reveal-change-underway.html

Where will they cool off now? Californians demolish their back yard swimming pools thanks to record drought as they face mandatory reduction in water use

California Governor Jerry Brown ordered a 25% cutback in water use by cities and towns in the state on Wednesday
Photos taken on Wednesday show the ongoing drought is already taking its toll on once technicolor landscapes
Signs showing river closings and offering drought friendly services signal that change is already underway   
The crackdown comes as California and its nearly 40 million residents move toward a fourth summer of drought
State reservoirs have a year's worth of water and with record low snowfall there won't be much to replenish them

Dried up: A 'River Closed' sign is posted on the Truckee River which has dried up because of lack of water at Lake Tahoe, in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, California on Wedneday
By Associated Press and Reuters and Alexandra Klausner For Dailymail.com and Ted Thornhill for MailOnline
Published: 00:58 EST, 9 April 2015  | Updated: 09:44 EST, 9 April 2015

Offline larsonstdoc

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/12/science/drinking-seawater-looks-ever-more-palatable-to-californians.html?_r=0
  The population of LA is 12 times that of San Diego.  They should think about putting up a few desalination plants so they (LA) can HAVE WATER.

For Drinking Water in Drought, California Looks Warily to Sea

CARLSBAD, Calif. — Every time drought strikes California, the people of this state cannot help noticing the substantial reservoir of untapped water lapping at their shores — 187 quintillion gallons of it, more or less, shimmering so invitingly in the sun.

Now, for the first time, a major California metropolis is on the verge of turning the Pacific Ocean into an everyday source of drinking water. A $1 billion desalination plant to supply booming San Diego County is under construction here and due to open as early as November, providing a major test of whether California cities will be able to resort to the ocean to solve their water woes.

Offline larsonstdoc

Well, we can forget about LA stop growing.  There are even some kids up here in Montana that are chasing a pipe dream going to Hollywood.  Plus all those Latinos and others breed like crazy.  The population will stabilize when us baby boomers are drop dead.

This morning it snowed here up in the mountains and after melting, most of the water will flow about 500 ft from me in the river.  We western Montanans are so blessed.

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/apr/11/carlsbad-desalination-project-nears-completion/
Carlsbad desalination project nears completion
Tunnel at Cannon and Faraday will finish pipeline to San Marcos
By PHIL DIEHL • U-T5 p.m.April 11, 2015Updated7:17 p.m. April 10, 2015
San Diego County now imports about 90 percent of its water and those imported water costs are certain to go up because of the drought — making desalinated water more affordable and sustainable in the long run.
San Diego  Pop graph

L.A. Pop Graph

http://www.glencanyon.org/glen_canyon/fill-mead-first
Fill Mead First
GCI believes the time has come to change Colorado River management to address today’s new realities. This is the goal of our Fill Lake Mead First Project. Since Glen Canyon Dam was completed in 1963, the goal of water managers has been to keep both Lake Powell and Lake Mead full. Now, with two half-empty reservoirs, this policy no longer makes sense. Through our Fill Lake Mead Project, GCI is advocating a new approach that consolidates most of the water from both reservoirs in Lake Mead, with Lake Powell used as a backup in flood years.
GCI recently completed a study that analyzed water usage under the Fill Mead First proposal. Our study, which is currently undergoing the peer review process, shows that 500,000 acre feet of water could be saved each year in the Colorado Basin if the Fill Mead First proposal were implemented. That’s enough water to serve the annual needs of half of Los Angeles.

The Fill Lake Mead First Project
is an expansion on an idea that has been proposed before — including by David Brower, who helped to found Glen Canyon Institute. In the past, this strategy was considered “politically unrealistic.” Now, in the face of unprecedented water supply and environmental challenges, the various people and institutions involved in Colorado River water policy are increasingly open to new ideas that they never would have considered before. GCI is optimistic that this will lead to unprecedented, positive change in the next few years, for the benefit of the people and ecosystems of the Colorado River Basin.

Offline larsonstdoc

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Seems like a good plan.  There isn't much of anything up by Lake Powell---in the way of people and cities.

BUT COLORADO ISN'T GETTING THE SNOWS LIKE THEY USE TO ON THE WESTERN SLOPES.

I was checking the size of the two lakes.  Lake Mead is 247 square miles and Lake Powell is 254 square miles.  So essentially they are the same size. 

A map of the Colorado River.

Offline larsonstdoc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km0geIOk4d4

Start thinking about growing your own food if you can.

What If The Drought Causes California's Food Supply to Collapse?  YOUTUBE

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8p5oScKsBM
Gov. Jerry Brown to Mexican Illegals 'You're All Welcome in California''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDpYiXcusn0
Mexican President Thanks Gov. Brown For Surrendering California
Aug 28, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsYG5emdZp8
Engineered Drought Catastrophe, Target California  Bechtel Power

Published on Jul 23, 2014

http://GeoengineeringWatch.org
https://www.facebook.com/dane.wigingt...
The western US is under an all out climate engineering assault, California most of all. The Weather Makers can shut the hydrological cycle off from the once "golden state" for as long as they wish. Satellite images and NOAA maps shown in this presentation are shocking and revealing to say the least. Whatever one wishes to consider as the agenda of those in power, one conclusion is certain, the drought in California is a direct result of the ongoing climate engineering insanity. Weather warfare is now being waged on the American population.