Author Topic: Ancient Greek stories of ritual child sacrifice are true, study claims  (Read 1317 times)

worcesteradam

Researchers from Oxford University said there that the archaeological, literary, and documentary evidence for child sacrifice is ‘overwhelming’

After decades of historians denying that the Carthaginians sacrificed their children as described in Greek accounts, a new study claims to have found ‘overwhelming’ evidence that the ancient civilisation really did carry out bloodthirsty practice.
Carthaginian parents ritually sacrificed young children as an offering to the gods and laid them to rest in special infant burial grounds, according to a team of international researchers.

The city-state of ancient Carthage was a Phoenician colony located in what is now Tunisia. It operated from around 800BC until 146BC, when it was destroyed by the Romans.
Babies of just a few weeks old were sacrificed by the Carthaginians at locations known as tophets.
Dedications from the children's parents to the gods are inscribed on slabs of stone above their cremated remains, ending with the explanation that the god or gods concerned had 'heard my voice and blessed me'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2544728/Ancient-Greek-stories-ritual-child-sacrifice-Carthage-TRUE-study-claims.html

Offline chris jones

Re: Ancient Greek stories of ritual child sacrifice are true, study claims
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 04:58:57 am »
The inherit human need to seek Gods blessing takes all shapes and form or sacrifice according to various religions.
The Jewish faith sacrificed their first born in the same way, that is until Abraham was given a reprieve by God.

Even now:In the Hadith Mohammed also urges Muslims to practice Jihad. ... in Allah's cause and nothing compels him do so except belief in Allah and His Apostle, will be ... a reward, or booty ( if he survives) or will be admitted to Paradise ( if he is killed).   To mention-      How about the HOLY crusades.
How many infants were slaughter in Nam, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, etc. Not for Gods approval, yet innocents sacrificed none the less.
 Times have changed but not much, Governments/ superpowers sacrifice innocents for profit and power. Their God.

Give it a name, I remember well the many who were convinced they were killing for God and Country.
 Sacrificing human life is historical, a fair percent of this slaughter was motivated by religious concepts.
 In the end it is the man who proves his true faith by his deeds.
 I am with the feeling I rant to much and folks grow bored with it. My apologies, the youth  is at heart of my motivation I am upset by the mind dipping being dumped on today's young one,may they not submit to control be it of any guise that would cause their loss of soul and freedoms.

Offline iamc2

Re: Ancient Greek stories of ritual child sacrifice are true, study claims
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 05:49:39 am »
The inherit human need to seek Gods blessing takes all shapes and form or sacrifice according to various religions.
The Jewish faith sacrificed their first born in the same way, that is until Abraham was given a reprieve by God.

Even now:In the Hadith Mohammed also urges Muslims to practice Jihad. ... in Allah's cause and nothing compels him do so except belief in Allah and His Apostle, will be ... a reward, or booty ( if he survives) or will be admitted to Paradise ( if he is killed).   To mention-      How about the HOLY crusades.
How many infants were slaughter in Nam, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, etc. Not for Gods approval, yet innocents sacrificed none the less.
 Times have changed but not much, Governments/ superpowers sacrifice innocents for profit and power. Their God.

Give it a name, I remember well the many who were convinced they were killing for God and Country.
 Sacrificing human life is historical, a fair percent of this slaughter was motivated by religious concepts.
 In the end it is the man who proves his true faith by his deeds.
 I am with the feeling I rant to much and folks grow bored with it. My apologies, the youth  is at heart of my motivation I am upset by the mind dipping being dumped on today's young one,may they not submit to control be it of any guise that would cause their loss of soul and freedoms.

Every word you have written is TRUE and your LOVE for the youth is the same as mine.

This world is becoming More Wicked by the moment: and If We; the older men and women, do not speak up: Then How Will the Young Folks learn anything about history? the dammed schools will teach them Nothing!

Mr. Jones your words will be heard and the Rant is Great! Peace in Jesus Christ my brother  8)
"When the Truth was murdered:
Common Sense ran away..."