UK Government "Pulverizes" Guardian Hard Drives

Author Topic: UK Government "Pulverizes" Guardian Hard Drives  (Read 3224 times)

Offline shipgeek

UK Government "Pulverizes" Guardian Hard Drives
« on: August 20, 2013, 08:47:31 AM »
UK Government "Pulverizes" Guardian Hard Drives In Snowden Retaliation, Says "There's No Need To Write Any More"

Submitted by Tyler Durden on 08/19/2013 22:28 -0400

While the much publicized Sunday morning detention of Glenn Greenwald's partner David Miranda at Heathrow on his way back to Brazil, in a stunning move that as we subsequently learned had been telegraphed apriori to the US, could potentially be explained away as a desperate attempt at personal intimidation by a scared, and truly evil empire in its last death throes, it is what happened a month earlier at the basement of the Guardian newspaper that leaves one truly speechless at how far the "democratic" fascist regimes have fallen and  fondly reminiscing of the times when dictatorial, tyrannical regimes did not pretend to be anything but.

For the fully story, we go to Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger who, in a long editorial focusing on the tribulations of Greenwald, his partner, modern journalism and free speech and press in a time of near-ubiquitous tyranny when the status quo is questioned, happened to let his readers know that a month ago, after the newspaper had published several stories based on Snowden's material, a British official advised him: "You've had your fun. Now we want the stuff back."

It gets better: after further talks with the British government, Rusbirdger says that two "security experts" from Government Communications Headquarters, the British NSA equivalent, visited the Guardian's London offices and in the building's basement, government officials watched as computers which contained material provided by Snowden were physically pulverized. One of the officials jokes: "We can call off the black helicopters."

Reuters adds that according to a source familiar with the event said Guardian employees destroyed the computers as government security experts looked on.

read more:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-08-19/uk-government-pulverizes-guardian-hard-drives-snowden-retaliation-says-theres-no-nee

:o
E MARE LIBERTAS

Offline shipgeek

Re: UK Government "Pulverizes" Guardian Hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 08:59:50 AM »
David Miranda, schedule 7 and the danger that all reporters now face

As the events in a Heathrow transit lounge and the Guardian offices have shown, the threat to journalism is real and growing

In a private viewing cinema in Soho last week I caught myself letting fly with a four-letter expletive at Bill Keller, the former executive editor of the New York Times. It was a confusing moment. The man who was pretending to be me thanking Keller for "not giving a shit" used to be Malcolm Tucker, a foul-mouthed Scottish spin doctor who will soon be a 1,000-year-old time lord. And Keller will correct me, but I don't remember ever swearing at him. I do remember saying something to the effect of "we have the thumb drive, you have the first amendment".

The fictional moment occurs at the beginning of the DreamWorks film about WikiLeaks, The Fifth Estate, due for release next month. Peter Capaldi is, I can report, a very plausible Guardian editor.

This real-life exchange with Keller happened just after we took possession of the first tranche of WikiLeaks documents in 2010. I strongly suspected that our ability to research and publish anything to do with this trove of secret material would be severely constrained in the UK. America, for all its own problems with media laws and whistleblowers, at least has press freedom enshrined in a written constitution. It is also, I hope, unthinkable that any US government would attempt prior restraint against a news organisation planning to publish material that informed an important public debate, however troublesome or embarrassing.

read more:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/19/david-miranda-schedule7-danger-reporters

:o
E MARE LIBERTAS