How to make a mini internet

Author Topic: How to make a mini internet  (Read 34158 times)

Offline sab

How to make a mini internet
« on: August 18, 2012, 11:09:45 PM »
I was thinking a long time ago how this could have been done, anyway, i worked out a solution. I created a document and put here:

http://tinyurl.com/dialupintranet
or
http://www.webfilehost.com/?mode=viewupload&id=6028291   30 days only

I spend money, time and energy, so no one else would have to. I hope you like my idea. I know their are drawbacks with this setup, low speed, it will be only good for doc files, mp3 files, 1 user at a time per line, etc...
I did all testing myself, so i am confident on my instructions.

And no copyright stuff on my doc, you can copy and print it, OK by me.

Perhaps we could have a sticky subject on this, and other people create alternative suggestions, instructions???

Offline PeaceAndFreedom

Re: How to make a mini internet
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 11:47:59 PM »
Intriguing 'off the grid' concept to (ironically) stay connected. It could be a great fall back if there is a (state-caused) communications crisis. Could this network be accessed by the regular web, or infiltrated by the enemy to disrupt or shut it down? Would it be strengthened if there were thousands of intranets created as per the solution provided?

Also, I was wondering, is there anything out there that is the equivalent of a 'burner phone' for getting internet? That is, anybody can get a tracphone and receive simple prepaid phone service (via a cell network) without a contract or monthly fee, or disclosure of real ID info to activate. Is there a 'trac WEB' device out there (like a flash drive-type device) one can get that will connect one to the web via a cell network, without a contract, monthly fee, or ID?
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered!... I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Offline compguygene

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 02:07:07 AM »
Not to take away from your fire but projectbyzantium is the real choice here.  It is an hacker built linux distro that creates an ad-hoc wirless network or "private internet" by using wireless networking to network a "mesh" of computers together.  This project was started by some Washington, D.C. hackers just for the purposes that you have named.  This is a superior solution, in that you do not need to depend on wired connections that may or may not be available.  Also, it is much more secure.
We have no government armed in power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other. -John Adams

Offline ekimdrachir

• METATRON ON
    • Go Outside
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 04:11:37 AM »
Thank you

Offline sab

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »
Thanks compguygene, i like that idea also. ;D

Could this network be accessed by the regular web? Well that defeats the purpose, but likely it could work, you must be thinking of 2 paths?
Infiltrated? or to disrupt or shut it down? Yes, if they find out about it, Yes. Scanning Resources will be in the high tech/current popular setups most people have, so resources looking for older setups will be less likely.
Would it be strengthened if there were thousands of intranets created as per the solution provided? Sounds right to me, strength in numbers.
'burner phone'? Never heard about this.

Offline PeaceAndFreedom

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 11:31:26 PM »
'Burner phone' is a term they use on spy-related tv shows to mean any phone that's not set up to be easily tracked or traced, like a prepaid Tracphone, and could be even disposed of quickly. Might be a handy thing to have if you want to stay off the grid. I just wondered if an equivalent product existed for pre-paid internet access, without a monthly $ commitment.
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered!... I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Offline Valerius

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 11:39:30 PM »
I think netzero would be something like that if they still operate. Juno was cool but I think they merged with netzero.
"No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck."  -Frederick Douglass

Offline sab

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 11:32:15 PM »
Also found this technical pdf book :

http://wndw.net/

How to build a wifi telecommunication infrastructure, only 425 pages, just some light reading ;)
It beats my 5 page pdf!

It may be possible to merge both setups, if the routing can be done correctly, so having dialup & wifi together expands the network.

Offline justins

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 03:58:02 AM »
Thanks for share. but I think we could just use the FTP severs to done this if we only need to transfer the files.

Freelancer

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 07:39:47 AM »
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/Byzantium-Linux-80371.shtml

Byzantium Linux is a Live Linux distribution designed to fulfil a crucial role in the evolution of the Internet. That role is a rapidly deployable ad-hoc wireless mesh network which can augment or replace the current telecommunications infrastructure in the event that it is knocked offline (for example, due to a natural disaster) or rendered untrustworthy (widespread surveillance or disconnection by hostile entities.

I'll do a full write up for you all, starting with how to implement along with a few other tricks you can do with your GNU routers using DD-WRT

If you have spare hardware running around, this may be a good time to build yourselves a web-server and implement and intranet portal. Also grab a current backup snapshot of Wikipedia and launch it locally, that takes some doing but it can be done. 

Freelancer

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 11:10:59 AM »

Offline sab

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 08:29:13 PM »
If you prefer the wifi infrastructure, then here are some more links to help people build them:

http://www.wafreenet.org/        Australian wifi network
http://www.wug.za.net/            South Africa wifi network

wifi protocols:

http://netsukuku.freaknet.org/
http://www.open-mesh.org/projects/open-mesh/wiki , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.A.T.M.A.N.
http://olsr.org/?q=about

Router firmware:

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Also, i look forward to freelancer's article, posts above.

Offline CaptBebops

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 03:32:13 PM »
I tried Byzantium but it really doesn't seem ready for prime time yet.  It's a bit complicated to set up and doesn't have the apps on board yet like a microblog that can be activated from the menu.  They would need to write some docs and instructions for non-tech types too.  So at 0.2a it is still very alpha.

Boosting the power of a wifi router is probably a better idea and some you could put a cable and dipole to extend coverage.  Plus there are battery driven models so you could set up one in an area and move on if things "get hot."

Offline sab

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 11:07:59 PM »
Monkeypox, can i have this in the dark blue area (top), i think you call that a "Sticky" ?  Please
We may need this in the future, namely this new EU Clean IT project may come and spread all over the world, and no more free internet unless we build one ourselves.

If i don't ask, i wont get.

Offline sab

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 05:50:52 PM »
Another local wifi design:

PirateBox
http://wiki.daviddarts.com/PirateBox

Offline sab

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 11:12:56 PM »
You can make your own fully functional telco company for your community:

http://www.telcoinabox.com/

Offline sab

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 06:24:33 PM »
For those of you having trouble accessing Byzantium apps, you can access them using the web browser from the node or a wireless client, and type in the IP address in the browser.
Also Micro-blog is Broken!

I think another version is coming.

Offline sab

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 01:10:53 AM »
http://www.servalproject.org/

A cell phone project.

Offline Jacob Law

• Its the Law, face it!
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 04:02:58 AM »
I was thinking a long time ago how this could have been done, anyway, i worked out a solution. I created a document and put here:

http://tinyurl.com/dialupintranet
or
http://www.webfilehost.com/?mode=viewupload&id=6028291   30 days only

I spend money, time and energy, so no one else would have to. I hope you like my idea. I know their are drawbacks with this setup, low speed, it will be only good for doc files, mp3 files, 1 user at a time per line, etc...
I did all testing myself, so i am confident on my instructions.

And no copyright stuff on my doc, you can copy and print it, OK by me.

Perhaps we could have a sticky subject on this, and other people create alternative suggestions, instructions???
What do you under-stand?

Offline sab

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 06:31:26 PM »
OK,OK, so i was going off the subject. The whole purpose was to find info on how to build a type of internet outside of the ISP's, that's it, nothing more, nothing less. It is guessed the Internet will be turned off. Once the network is running, you may be able to run some Phone VoIP over it, but not a priority.

So i found one more method, but it only has 1 good point, the rest, well, no good.

Good: Speeds from 256kbps > maybe 100Mbps cabled connection only inside a country/state/town.

Bad: Secure connection, No internet interference, BUT telephone company has setup, access to high speed connection, and Cisco Routers/similar needed at each property.

Likely 2 or a handful more properties joined like this Because of Costs, as they are Outrageous.
If you were to buy this service, shop around.

Can use Fibre or Copper wiring, and perhaps Wimax to connect the property.

This connection will only connect to the other property, so you are limited, unless you router one/more connections at one end to another type, eg, WiFi or dial-up to extend the network.

This is called a Managed WAN. No internet needed, but you are depended on the phone company to setup and manage it.

Likely, if the internet was forced off (???) what would happen in my opinion would be small networks pop up all around, most will go for WiFi 2.4ghz, others will choose other technologies to make their own networks. I find it difficult to believe that a whole world network could be created without ISP's, but i could be wrong. Some type of P2P network is whats needed.
One good thing about the internet, is that different types can connect, i mean by that: dialup, ADSL, satellite, 3G, etc. A home made network will have difficulty here.

The best option i see is the hackers making a satellite, above.

I think that's it, i cant find anymore methods.

Offline telson

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 09:34:37 PM »
This would work well and is an offshoot of the BBS system I posted about earlier today.  The difference being that with BBS software, you connect with terminal software, like Telix...gee I feel so old ;D. But the idea is the same.

What Alex could do here as a central gathering point, is to dedicate a few lines for this purpose, so that the day, the net goes down, we don't really miss a beat.

I have some old PCBoard software that has unlimited nodes(incoming station)availability. I would of course donate it to the cause.

If one is interested, you would need, a computer, a modem, phone line and terminal software. There are versions of both host and terminal software that are very windows friendly. It's much slower, but we are not cut off. I have operated a ten line BBS, many years ago. Parties logged in at the same time could chat live.

I noted another post in this thread that said wireless would be the way to go, but I disagree. Wireless can be easily intercepted or even interfered with, or cut off entirely. It's very unlikely the entire nation's wired phone system would be put offline in a crisis.

Offline PeaceAndFreedom

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 10:56:40 PM »
The above solutions deal with replacing the web should the regular Internat be shut down, but what about the gatekeeper ISPs in the here and now? Does anybody know if anyone is working on a fully open source, P2P "virtual ISP" that can provide encrypted access to the web with no logging, across multiple platforms (wi-fi, cellular, etc)? Such a program would provide a secure yet decentralized means of communication that could not be seized, suspended or penalized (because it was not snitching info to the feds).

Offline telson

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 11:09:59 PM »
There will be no such thing, since "they" own the wires, so to speak and will control access by iris scan and or fingerprint. You simply won't get on without prior approval.

If you are black listed from prior activities like this one, forget ever having more than the scripted access to provided content. Actually even if you aren't blacklisted, all content will be according to TPTB just like TV is now.

That is why this alternative is so important.

EvadingGrid

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 01:52:18 AM »
I would think that it would be possible to build a network similar to how they are rolling out IPv6, in that they use the existing infrastructure to pipe encrypted tunnels.

However, the dreamers want access to the regular internet, they want to visit sites like infowars which are on the regular internet, and at that point such a network would collapse.

Building a network that is not accessible from the regular internet is a different proposition. A network that has its own mechanism of allocating ip addresses, domains and such like ... well that is entirely possible.

My own thought is to build a tiny Linux Distro call it 'Esc' that could implement its own unique network connecting only to the other identical nodes running 'Esc'. Then network could be encrypted, making it hard, but not impossible to break. Each node could have a tiny hand coded limited web page server, a mail system could be implemented, as could other things, but all in a very restricted format. The key would be the restrictions, which would make it all possible.

If anyone is seriously interested please speak up.

Offline telson

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 03:10:26 AM »
The problem is that "they" control all of the traffic, all packets, no matter what they consist of. Add to that, restricted access via biometrics. When "they" control all access to the pipeline, we are locked out without proper identification. And then only selected content will be permitted.

Offline PeaceAndFreedom

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 03:46:16 AM »
There will be no such thing, since "they" own the wires, so to speak and will control access by iris scan and or fingerprint. You simply won't get on without prior approval.

If you are black listed from prior activities like this one, forget ever having more than the scripted access to provided content. Actually even if you aren't blacklisted, all content will be according to TPTB just like TV is now.

That is why this alternative is so important.

Well, I was talking about the current pipeline, not the I2 pipeline NWO intends to completely control. Isn't it possible to build the equivalent for web access what Bitcoin is for currency? I.E., a peer network software to access the web like an ISP that can't be 'blacklisted' because it's decentralized, and there is no third party to shutdown? The program itself would control the access, and no company could be sued/shutdown because the software was open source? That's what I mean.

EvadingGrid

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 04:15:45 AM »

Well, I was talking about the current pipeline, not the I2 pipeline NWO intends to completely control. Isn't it possible to build the equivalent for web access what Bitcoin is for currency? I.E., a peer network software to access the web like an ISP that can't be 'blacklisted' because it's decentralized, and there is no third party to shutdown? The program itself would control the access, and no company could be sued/shutdown because the software was open source? That's what I mean.

That is what I have in mind.
A separate encrypted network on top of the existing network.

The key points being:
(a) Separate.
(b) Encrypted.
(c) Limited.

By imposing Limitations, we can make it do able.
With Encryption we get privacy.
Separate gives Independence from the Feudal Masters.

All of this comes at a price.

Offline telson

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 10:39:51 AM »
The problem of access to the internet still remains. If they stop all activity, ie; tcp traffic, then we can't get onto it.

They know all of the available protocols, after all the U.S. department of defense started it. By selectively filtering packet types, they only allow what traffic they wish to.

Not to say that all is lost. I'm a firm believer that God will always provide a way for his people to communicate, even if it's only by fax machine. I'm sure they won't want all commerce to stop. What protocol does a credit/debit machine use, for instance?. Perhaps other communications could be disguised as that.

There is also netbios.  Usually relegated to local networks, but I'm sure it could be used on a broader scale, so long as we have access to the wires.

Offline sab

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 03:56:34 AM »
That is what I have in mind.
A separate encrypted network on top of the existing network.

The key points being:
(a) Separate.
(b) Encrypted.
(c) Limited.

This sounds similar to Freenet-Project.

Offline sab

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 04:08:04 AM »
Another method, long range radio, but slow speed:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/6299/print

Offline ShofarPortfolio

• ShofarPortfolio
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2013, 08:09:10 AM »
The mindset that the only thing that works is something that can grow into another Facebook is bogus.  The mini-internet can server a vast number of people and there can be multiple versions.  We don’t all have to speak the same language.

With that in mind let me propose rootless domains (http://ShofarDomain.com) that removed the ICANN monopoly and works with all alternative roots plus allows anyone to operate a TLD.

The second is Matryoshka Communications (http://ShofarPortfolio.com/Matryoshka).  This model achieves the Separate/Encrypted/Limited points and hides all metadata.

Interested parties can contact me directly at John.Kozlowski@ShofarPortfolio.com

We need to support all of the projects.
ShofarPortfolio’s motto is “We don’t know your stuff”
Learn about Matryoshka Communications and keep your data and metadata private.

Offline sab

Offline sab

Offline sab

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2014, 03:03:18 AM »
http://rt.com/news/163412-german-village-own-broadband/

Tiny German village builds own broadband service.

Offline Owais

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2014, 03:47:27 AM »
On the internet instrument found. but i highly recommend your work.

Offline Elisa24

• Time is critical in this world
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2015, 05:42:13 AM »
Aaaaah, really interesting, this definitely deserves to be a sticky!