Al-Qaeda plot to blow up passenger jet before Olympics

Author Topic: Al-Qaeda plot to blow up passenger jet before Olympics  (Read 19937 times)

Offline bazwalt

« on: July 22, 2012, 10:04:27 PM »
Hi all,

This is an extract of an article that was posted on News.com.au which I have deconstructed and attached my own questions in an attempt to show just how vague and deceptive mainstream news can be. Any input and additional questions or even criticism is entirely welcomed.

Additionally, if this is posted in the wrong board I do apologize. I did make an attempt to find the most suitable place to post.

Terrorist plot to bomb US airliner uncovered
•  Al-Qaeda attack to coincide with London Olympics
•  Flights back to normal after system crash

A TERRORIST plot to blow up an American airliner timed to coincide with this month's London Olympics has been uncovered by security agencies (Really? Which agencies?).
Al-Qaeda intended to use a trained Norwegian Islamic convert to attack US planes in the build-up to the Games, the UK Sunday Times quoted intelligence sources as saying (Again, Which intelligent sources?).

"The Norwegian recruit goes under the name of Muslim Abu Abdurrahman. He is understood to be in his thirties and a 'clean skin', with no previous criminal record," the newspaper said. (Understood? So he hasn’t been caught yet? So how do you know he’s involved? Has he been under surveillance? What makes him a suspect if he has no criminal record?)

"He converted in 2008 and quickly became radicalised (meaning he changed his view on the world and is now a suspect because of this?). He later travelled to Yemen, where he has spent several months, to complete his training."

The plot confirms fears among US and British intelligence agencies that terrorists from al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) are seeking to recruit radicalised westerners in an attempt to evade airport security. (Wait a minute. How does a person you haven’t caught with no criminal record prove anything? What evidence do you have that he is tied to terrorist groups? I wasn’t aware that changing your ideologies would tie someone to terrorist groups.)

While it is not thought to have been aimed specifically at the upcoming Olympics (which start on July 27), security forces protecting the Games said intelligence on any possible threat was constantly reviewed. (Ok Ok Hold up! In your first paragraph you wrote (in brief) “Terrorists plot to blow up American Airliner to coincide with London Games”. This sounds like fact yet now you’re saying it is not thought to be aimed at the games?)

A Metropolitan Police spokesman (Does this spokesperson have a name? I might have questions for her as I have friends in London) said: "We have planned against the four main areas of threat: terrorism, serious and organised crime, public disorder and natural hazards.

"We are working closely with Games organisers to deliver an end to end operation to ensure everyone is safe and secure", he added.

"There is terrorist plotting going on irrespective of the Olympics. The only thing that connects this to the Olympics is the fact that they are about to happen," a Whitehall official told the paper.

(So how do you know Terrorists are plotting something if you haven’t caught anyone yet? Is there another source we are not made aware of? If so, why do we not know about him? Why is this Abu Abdurrahman a key source if he has no criminal records? What other evidence confirms this alleged attack? And what the hell? Now you’re going back on your initial statement about a confirmed attack at the Games and saying that the only thing that links it to the games is that the games are happening? Sounds like you really have no idea what is going on and when)

"If you are blowing up aeroplanes you are likely to be killing Brits or having a big impact on the European or British economy. [So it] would in effect be an attack against Britain," a Whitehall official told the Sunday Times.

The same group were revealed to have been behind at least four other attempted attacks in the last four years.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/al-qaeda-plot-to-blow-up-passenger-jet-during-olympics/story-e6frfq80-1226415558998#ixzz1zXQ4lTtO
“Societies only offer freedom within strict constraints.”
“War is the supreme failure of bridging the differences between nations.”