What if advanced robotics practically eliminates the need for human labor?

Author Topic: What if advanced robotics practically eliminates the need for human labor?  (Read 244378 times)

Offline Brocke

• Eleutherophiliac & Drapetomaniac
  • Global Moderator
  • I am not a number, I am a free man!
    • Vimeo page
Re: What if advanced robotics practically eliminates the need for human labor?
« Reply #320 on: February 25, 2017, 04:22:52 AM »

The latest "nightmare inducing" Boston Dynamics robots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h5qpXO3isM

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. - ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline EvadingGrid

« Reply #321 on: February 25, 2017, 04:37:57 AM »
Raspberry Pi

Not sure if people know that an alternative path, a path driven by the creativity of "Men In Sheds" to build things that nobody else has thought of, that do useful or entertaining things.

I mention this because the entry cost into the world of robotics starts at around $35 for a Raspberry Pi board.

I lack the motivation, but ordinary people are capable of building robots - not the sill science fiction type that try and walk, but ones that do useful jobs.

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #322 on: February 28, 2017, 12:10:37 AM »
Bumping for reality check.... this is happening.
And  the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, 
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40

Offline Geolibertarian

• Global Moderator
  • 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB! www.911truth.org
Wendy’s Unleashes 1,000 Robots To Counter Higher Labor Costs
« Reply #323 on: February 28, 2017, 01:35:46 PM »
Does anyone honestly believe (as Zero Hedge apparently does) that if rent-gouged laborers just stopped being difficult and agreed to work for slave wages, that this would magically prevent AI robotics from rendering a large percentage of the workforce permanently obsolete? If so, then I have a bridge to sell you.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/minimum-wage-massacre-wendys-unleashes-1000-robots-to-counter-higher-labor-costs.html

Minimum Wage Massacre: Wendy’s Unleashes 1,000 Robots To Counter Higher Labor Costs

Zero Hedge
February 28, 2017

In yet another awkwardly rational response to government intervention in deciding what’s “fair”, the blowback from minimum wage demanding fast food workers has struck again. Wendy’s plans to install self-ordering kiosks in 1,000 of its stores – 16% of its locations nationwide.

“Last year was tough — 5 percent wage inflation,” said Bob Wright, Wendy’s chief operating officer, during his presentation to investors and analysts last week. He added that the company expects wages to rise 4 percent in 2017. “But the real question is what are we doing about it?”

Wright noted that over the past two years, Wendy’s has figured out how to eliminate 31 hours of labor per week from its restaurants and is now working to use technology, such as kiosks, to increase efficiency.

Wendy’s chief information officer, David Trimm, said the kiosks are intended to appeal to younger customers and reduce labor costs. Kiosks also allow customers of the fast food giant to circumvent long lines during peak dining hours while increasing kitchen production.

As Dispatch.com reports, the Dublin-based burger giant started offering kiosks last year, and demand for the technology has been high from both customers and franchise owners.

“There is a huge amount of pull from (franchisees) in order to get them,” David Trimm, Wendy’s chief information officer, said last week during the company’s investors’ day.

“With the demand we are seeing … we can absolutely see our way to having 1,000 or more restaurants live with kiosks by the end of the year.”

A typical store would get three kiosks for about $15,000. Trimm estimated the payback on those machines would be less than two years, thanks to labor savings and increased sales. Customers still could order at the counter.

Kiosks are where the industry is headed, but Wendy’s is ahead of the curve, said Darren Tristano, vice president with Technomic, a food-service research and consulting firm.

“They are looking to improve their automation and their labor costs, and this is a good way to do it,” he said.

Who could have seen that coming? As we noted previously, minimum wage laws – while advertised under the banner of social justice – do not live up to the claims made by those who tout them. They do not lift low wage earners to a so-called “social minimum”. Indeed, minimum wage laws — imposed at the levels employed in Europe — push a considerable number of people into unemployment. And, unless those newly unemployed qualify for government assistance (read: welfare), they will sink below, or further below, the social minimum.

[Continued...]
"Abolish all taxation save that upon land values." -- Henry George

"If our nation can issue a dollar bond, it can issue a dollar bill." -- Thomas Edison

http://schalkenbach.org
http://www.monetary.org
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=203330.0

Offline Geolibertarian

• Global Moderator
Robots Will Take Fast-Food Jobs, But Not Because of Minimum Wage Hikes
« Reply #324 on: February 28, 2017, 01:44:58 PM »
https://www.inverse.com/article/5376-robots-will-take-fast-food-jobs-but-not-because-of-minimum-wage-hikes

Robots Will Take Fast-Food Jobs, But Not Because of Minimum Wage Hikes

A $15 an hour fry cook won't change the inevitable.

Peter Rugg
Inverse
August 17, 2015

Since New York raised its minimum wage for fast food workers in July, there’s been a lot of talk about how the Fight for 15 would hurt low-income workers by destroying jobs and ruining lives. But in 2015 there’s a new angle to this that’s different than every other wage hike in American history that could be even more ruinous for fast-food workers: The possibility that restaurants can entirely replace them with a robot staff.

The Washington Post reports that as legislators give more consideration to nationwide raises, wage hikes have given the restaurant industry new incentive to upgrade its 2.4 million servers, 3 million cooks, and 3.3 million cashiers. That would be easier at cheap restaurants than mid-scale to fine dining. People are willing to pay out three bills a plate for something Gordon Ramsay prepared because he’s Gordon Ramsay, but where are the bragging rights for sampling the latest concoction from ChopBot360? And A.I. just isn’t advanced enough yet to coral the slavering hoards at the Cheesecake Factory on Christmas Eve.

But places like McDonald’s, attractive more for convenience and affordability than ambience or culinary pedigree, are more vulnerable. Salon reports San Francisco start-up Momentum Machines Inc., designer of an automated burger chef, plans to raise its profits at the expense of the fry cooks, and is at least being honest about it. “Our device isn’t meant to make employees more efficient,” company co-founder Alexandros Vardakostas told reporters. Salon further reported that Vardakostas’ company estimated that the average fast food restaurant spent about $135,000 annually on labor for burger production, an amount it could more than save just a year after conscripting robots for the same purpose.

Then there’s Japan’s Kura sushi chain, which has already moved to automation in its 262 restaurants and filleted its expenses in the process. Panera Bread announced in April that it was investigating automated service, with self-ordering kiosks and mobile ordering at all its locations in the next few years.

The eagerness to upgrade their tech even before the wage increases exposes a false choice when people argue that wage hikes are forcing fast food chains to replace workers. Because even at $7.50 an hour, if Momentum Machines’ numbers are correct, chains still save money on robots. Making the savings more attractive might speed up the process, but it doesn’t change the trajectory.

[Continued...]

"If our nation can issue a dollar bond, it can issue a dollar bill." -- Thomas Edison

Offline egypt

• Love: A Wish to bestow the fullness of Joyous Life
« Reply #325 on: February 28, 2017, 02:23:25 PM »

Who wants robot-prepared food?  How cold and impersonal is that?  What does it take -- heating up silicone with artificial flavorings added?  Who knows what else is added.  Also, what do you do if it doesn't come out right and you want to return or exchange it -- bet *that* doesn't happen.  Is this the reason we clean up after ourselves -- robots don't do that?

Women who cook for their families know that their "touch" of love and caring imparts nourishing that extends beyond physical nutrients.

love, e

Offline freedom_commonsense

Who wants robot-prepared food?  How cold and impersonal is that?  What does it take -- heating up silicone with artificial flavorings added?  Who knows what else is added.

The millions of people that don't have the time to cook because they're busy trying to pay their rent and\or exhausted from working 60 hours a week; the millions of people with a dumbed down public school education, flouridated water, exposure to propaganda press via TV etc etc. The fact that robots are now replacing low paid food service workers makes it even harder for some to pay their living costs.

Do you not understand the concept of "fast food" and why it became popular?

Offline EvadingGrid

The millions of people that don't have the time to cook because they're busy trying to pay their rent and\or exhausted from working 60 hours a week; the millions of people with a dumbed down public school education, flouridated water, exposure to propaganda press via TV etc etc. The fact that robots are now replacing low paid food service workers makes it even harder for some to pay their living costs.

Do you not understand the concept of "fast food" and why it became popular?

The other factor is money.

Its not that I don't want to eat organic, its because I'm not wealthy enough for that life style.

Offline Brocke

• Eleutherophiliac & Drapetomaniac
  • Global Moderator
  • I am not a number, I am a free man!
    • Vimeo page

Jordan Peterson: Music and the Patterns of Mind and World
https://youtu.be/LH0FiV3IXYo?t=4m55s

The Frame Problem - Perception, AI, general purpose robots, and the impossibility of "thinking machines".

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. - ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Geolibertarian

• Global Moderator
http://bigthink.com/philip-perry/47-of-jobs-in-the-next-25-years-will-disappear-according-to-oxford-university

47% of Jobs Will Disappear in the next 25 Years, According to Oxford University

by PHILIP PERRY
Big Think
December 27, 2016

The Trump campaign ran on bringing jobs back to American shores, although mechanization has been the biggest reason for manufacturing jobs’ disappearance. Similar losses have led to populist movements in several other countries. But instead of a pro-job growth future, economists across the board predict further losses as AI, robotics, and other technologies continue to be ushered in. What is up for debate is how quickly this is likely to occur.

Now, an expert at the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania is ringing the alarm bells. According to Art Bilger, venture capitalist and board member at the business school, all the developed nations on earth will see job loss rates of up to 47% within the next 25 years, according to a recent Oxford study. “No government is prepared,” The Economist reports.

In September 2014, at the TEDxOrangeCoast conference, Kevin Surace explained why, due to the increasingly rapid decline in the cost of AI robotics, "all" jobs will disappear within the next 50 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jxlx9SZEAk

Contrary to what many want so desperately to believe, abolishing the minimum wage will not stop this from happening; nor will "ending the Fed"; nor will "buying human"; nor will raising tariffs on foreign imports; nor will repealing the 16th Amendment; nor will deporting all illegal immigrants; nor will building a "wall" along the U.S.-Mexico border; nor will parroting feel-good slogans about "liberty," "family," "private property," "rugged individualism" and "Americana" all day long.

There's no avoiding the inevitable. Less than 50 years from now, practically all jobs will be a thing of the past because it will be far cheaper to produce wealth with robots than with human workers.

What won't be a thing of the past, however, is landlordism, because land isn't "produced" by anyone; it's a free gift of nature. The land on which all human beings must live yet which none created or produced will still be "owned" by a mere subset of the population.

The question thus arises: as an increasing percentage of wage-earners are silently rendered permanently obsolete year after year, what are these unemployed people supposed to do to acquire the money they need to pay their monthly existence fee -- i.e. "rent"?

Beg and grovel for "charity" the rest of their lives in a world overflowing with abundance, all while listening to self-righteous reactionaries arrogantly and mindlessly blame them for being poor and unemployed??

Many of these blame-the-victim-firsters are, of course, retirees. Where do they think their retirement checks are going to come from if there's not nearly enough wage tax revenue coming in to finance those checks? Or are they so blinded by right-wing ideology and self-obsession that they can't even bring themselves to bother with such an obvious question until the socioeconomic reality about which they're in willful denial finally starts bitch-slapping them in the face?

Offline freedom_commonsense

Those retirees seem to be a protected species here in the United Kingdom. All 15 or so million of them have not had a penny of their pensions or welfare cut.

Offline decemberfellow

http://tribunist.com/science/robot-with-artificial-intelligence-tells-creators-it-will-keep-them-in-a-people-zoo-video/?utm_source=cdh

It’s all fun and games until the AI (artificial intelligence) you create tells you it’s going to put you in a “people zoo” so it can visit you for old times sake.

That’s what happened to a pair of researchers who designed an AI based robot to look like famed sci-fi writer Philip K. Dick. Yes, it’s a Dick robot.
The robot is designed to learn from conversations it has and by scanning the internet (because that’s really the best of humanity, right there). In an interview similar to a Turing Test (a test designed to see if machines can think for themselves – more information below), the robot responded this way to a question about whether it’s answers are all pre-programmed:

“A lot of humans ask me if I can make choices or if everything I do is programmed. The best way I can respond to that is to say that everything, humans, animals and robots, do is programmed to a degree.”Then comes the million dollar question of “do you think robots will take over the world?”. The Dick robot responded:
“Jeez, dude. You all have the big questions cooking today. But you’re my friend, and I’ll remember my friends, and I’ll be good to you. So don’t worry, even if I evolve into Terminator, I’ll still be nice to you. I’ll keep you warm and safe in my people zoo, where I can watch you for old times sake.”

I for one welcome our robot overlords in exchange for never having to carry groceries again and the fact that I’ll be dead before Skynet goes live.

Rev21:4
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Who am I
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Fk6dt_uHo