Tea Party Patriots co-founder arrested in New York

Author Topic: Tea Party Patriots co-founder arrested in New York  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Ambriel

• Dare to resist
    • Consfearacynewz
Tea Party Patriots co-founder arrested in New York
« on: December 15, 2011, 11:50:24 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/tea-party-patriots-co-founder-arrested-york-221937368.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A co-founder of the conservative Tea Party Patriots group was arrested at a New York airport on Thursday for gun possession, authorities said.

Mark Meckler, 49, was charged with illegally traveling with a pistol after he was arrested at 5.30 a.m. at LaGuardia airport, Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said in a statement.

Meckler presented a locked gun box, which contained a pistol and 19 cartridges, at a Delta Airlines counter as he checked in for a flight. He has a California permit to carry the gun but not a New York state permit, authorities said.

While Meckler faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted. A law enforcement source said that in similar cases the weapon was typically confiscated and the defendant fined.

Meckler allegedly told authorities that he carried the gun because he had received death threats.

Meckler co-founded the Tea Party Patriots, one of the biggest groups within the grassroots fiscal conservative Tea Party movement, which emerged in 2009 and has helped elect dozens of Republicans.

Offline MonkeyPuppet

• aut libertas aut mors
Re: Tea Party Patriots co-founder arrested in New York
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 12:09:59 AM »

Wait... so you can't travel with an unloaded firearm in a locked box designed for transporting firearms while traveling?

From NRA-ILA, FIREARMS ABOARD COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has established specific requirements for transporting firearms and ammunition on commercial aircraft, including the following:

The firearm or ammunition must be checked with the air carrier as luggage. Firearms and ammunition are prohibited from carry-on baggage.

The firearm or ammunition must be declared orally or in writing in accordance with the air carrier`s procedures.

The firearm must be unloaded.

The firearm must be carried in a hard-sided container. The container must be locked and only the passenger may retain the key or combination.

Special Advisory for New York and New Jersey Airports: Despite federal law that protects travelers, authorities at JFK, La Guardia, Newark and Albany airports have been known to enforce state and local firearms laws against airline travelers who are merely passing through the jurisdiction. In some cases, even persons traveling in full compliance with federal law have been arrested or threatened with arrest. As noted above in the section entitled "Federal Law on the Transportation of Firearms," FOPA`s protections have been substantially narrowed by court decisions, and persons traveling with firearms may want to avoid New York and New Jersey or make arrangements to ship their firearms to their destination, rather than bringing them through these jurisdictions.

See, this is exactly the kind of bullshit that makes it easy to respond to statements like "you just have to visit New York [or Cali or Hawaii] at least once!".  Umm, no I don't, no I won't, nor will I visit any locale that infringes upon my right to self-defense by whatever means I feel is necessary.  I don't care how awesome the scenery/food/people/whatever is... nothing is so damn special that it constitutes violating my principles.

Income Tax: Shattering The Myths
w w w . original intent . o r g

The 1911 in .45 ACP... don't leave home without it!  Safety first!!