Is Rick Perry dropping out? MSM seems to be saying YES

Author Topic: Is Rick Perry dropping out? MSM seems to be saying YES  (Read 7659 times)

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
Is Rick Perry dropping out? MSM seems to be saying YES
« on: September 24, 2011, 03:30:52 PM »
Too 'Tired' to be President?
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/64323.html
By MAGGIE HABERMAN | 9/24/11 9:29 AM EDT Updated: 9/24/11 12:52 PM EDT

I'll have a bit more on this in a bit, but Rick Perry is now heading out of Florida after an 8-minute speech to a room of about 1,100 Presidency Five straw poll-goers - a last-minute pitch to get their support in which he didn't specifically ask for their votes later today, although he played up the value of the event and hit others for skipping it.

Several voters said they hadn't yet made up their minds about whether to vote for Perry at the straw poll. Many cited his weak debate performance, and several said it was giving them pause about casting a ballot for him.

Some said they had heard from friends involved in his campaign that he was tired, and one voter said Perry told him that directly, after the governor spent close to an hour working the room and taking pictures.

Activist Neil Curley, who's on the Collier County Executive Committee, said, "We came here because the other day during the debate we were a little concerned with Gov. Perry being led into nitpicking with another candidate."

He added, "So we came here and I did get a chance to speak to him about that. And he said. 'Yeah, I just got tired...I was tired, exhausted, and everyone's throwing the junk at (me).' And that's a normal reaction. I said just don't do it. ..He fell into the trap."
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline tritonman

LOL he has a stand in speaking now for him at the straw poll . ;D 

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated

'Yeah, I just got tired...
I was tired,
exhausted,
and everyone's throwing the junk at (me).'
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline tritonman

I don't think he got tired from them throwing their junk.  I think it is what he did when they threw it at him.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
The media is trying to spin things about the polls and making excuses in case he drops out.

He may actually be thinking of dropping out.

Just look at these news reports, no one was allowed to write this shit before today...

[Did Larry Flynt find the winning ticket?]

Rick Perry Sharp Drop Due To Unforced Errors
http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/10430226-rick-perry-sharp-drop-due-to-unforced-errors
Tampa : FL : USA | Sep 24, 2011 at 6:37 AM PDT
By kensai 

Only a few weeks ago, the governor of Texas has taken a Republican presidential candidate preferred by the storm, but his star fell quickly during its first three debates. On Thursday night, has collapsed.

Conservatives gathered in a three-day conclave here - kicked off by Google, Fox News debate Thursday night - "ready to marry," Perry, but left "frightened" her performance, said a Republican of Florida, links between the authorities and the country cooperatives and grassroots activists.

That discontent has been building, though it's not final in any sense. Perry's fortunes have fallen in large part because of a series of gaffes that demonstrated his lack of discipline and experience on a national stage. In several key moments during the past few weeks, the governor showed a tendency to undermine some of his best moments and to make tough or difficult moments even worse. His potential supporters have grown leery of Perry as the list of his unforced errors has grown longer.

The good moments gone bad

Perry's answer to the HPV vaccine question on Thursday night could have been a standout moment. At first blush, some thought it was one of his best. He explained his decision to mandate vaccination for young Texas girls with a personal and moving story of meeting a woman suffering from cervical cancer, which can be caused by the human papillomavirus.

"I got lobbied by a 31-year-old young lady who had stage-four cervical cancer. I spent a lot of time with her," Perry said.

Perry actually spend time with Heather Burcham, who died in July 2007. But when the governor gave the impression that his decision to issue compulsory HPV vaccination executive order, bypassing the state legislature, has been affected by this experience, Burcham has not complied with, before giving the order.

Wednesday evening, another highlight Perry exasperated. He has started talking seriously about an audience of several thousand activists here about his need for their prayers.

"As a governor who's made a great deal of decisions with consequences over the years, I couldn't have done so without being driven to my knees on many occasions. As I campaign for president, I not only ask you for your vote and your support, I ask you for your prayers," Perry said.

The connection in the room was palpable, and Perry added to it for a moment by asking the crowd to pray for President Obama, taking on an air of dignity and good will.

"I ask you to pray for our country. I ask you to pray for our president," he said.

But Perry couldn't help himself. He added a request that the activists pray for Obama that God "open his eyes." Maybe some in the room didn't mind, but the implicit claim by Perry that his policy positions have divine fiat destroyed any of the moral high ground that Perry had momentarily begun to claim.

Bad times get worse

Perry must have known it was going to be beaten on immigration, especially its support to offer discounts to state tuition at public colleges and universities in Texas to children of illegal immigrants. He took flak for that in the debate last week, and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney argued at length on Thursday to explain why the policy is "nonsense."

Perry, bristles, and his enthusiasm to hit again, he despised the bus a large conservative base.

"If you say that we should not educate children who have come into our state for no other reason than they've been brought there by no fault of their own, I don't think you have a heart," Perry said.

Calling people who disagreed with him heartless will resonate. One conservative activist who said he agreed with Perry on the issue was still offended by the suggestion that those who disagreed with Perry lacked empathy.

Romney jumped on the line in his opening comments Friday morning during a speech to the Conservative Action Political Conference in Florida.

"I think if you're opposed to illegal immigration it doesn't mean that you don't have a heart. It means that you have a heart and a brain," Romney said to cheers.

Perry was able to commit a double error in its response Thursday evening on the issue of vaccines against HPV. A few moments later, he told the story of Heather Burcham misleading, it is a topic that has already suffered: if the mandate of the vaccine must have had an opt-out for parents or an opt-in.

"I readily admitted we should have had an opt-in, in this program," Perry said.

But that's not true. In the first two debates, Perry vigorously defended the opt-out, saying in California on Sept. 7: "I don't know what's more strong for parental rights than having that opt-out."

Perry has said at least twice outside the first two debates -- once before them, once after -- that he should have had an opt-in. The difference, of course, is that an opt-out acts much more like a mandate, requiring parental action for children not to be vaccinated. With an opt-in, only children whose parents really want the vaccination receive it.

Perry expressed some frustration with the topic, but in the process insulted parents.

"I don’t know what part of opt-out most parents don’t get," Perry said.

Even if such happiness is becoming increasingly common, Romney adviser, Stuart Stevens barely contain his joy he told reporters after the debate to comment on Perry.

Perry Stevens said position amounted to this: ". If you are a parent and you do not like what he did, you're stupid "

Other indiscretion Perry, who has done a bad time even worse was the second debate Sept. 12 in Tampa, after Rep. Michele Bachmann said that Perry's former chief of staff, Mike Toomey, was a lobbyist for Merck, pharmaceutical company set up to make the HPV vaccine, and benefit from the mandate.

Perry answers should be among all-time debate the most imprudent lines.

"The company was Merck, and it was a $5,000 contribution that I had received from them," Perry said. "I raise about $30 million. And if you're saying that I can be bought for $5,000, I'm offended."

If it does not mean it could be bought for more money, Perry succeeded. Given the many ways he led a system of pay to play in Texas, has questionable use of taxpayers' money and hid behind a veil of secrecy in its dealings as governor, he was a small time of political vision.

Together, the two major gaffes on foreign policy during the last debate, and the misguided attempt on Thursday night to emphasize the past Romney flip-flop, the portrait of Perry is a whole number changed dramatically - from a rock ribbed conservative warrior too opportunistic confident, unprepared and not-ready-for-prime-time.

The comments were brutal on Friday, and the party, including tea groups like FreedomWorks reported that their opposition to the latest Romney could soften if Perry continues to fumble.

"The truth of the matter is, you've got to stop getting into trouble," said Al Cardenas, the former Florida GOP chairman and current chairman of the American Conservative Union, which hosted the CPAC conference. "He's got to get himself out of these issues."

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
UK Telegraph...

Rick Perry falters under fire in US Republican debate
Governor Rick Perry of Texas faltered in a presidential candidates debate that cast doubt over his frontrunner status
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/republicans/8785314/Rick-Perry-falters-under-fire-in-US-Republican-debate.html
By Toby Harnden, Orlando
9:44PM BST 23 Sep 2011

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
Actual headline...

Rick Perry Is Officially Blowing It
The key here is that the Republicans who influence mass opinion in the party seem to be noticing this, and speaking out.

http://www.alternet.org/news/152515/rick_perry_is_officially_blowing_it/
September 24, 2011  |  

Rick Perry sure knows how to mess up a good thing. When he entered the presidential race last month, the Texas governor had an extraordinary opportunity. The GOP base had strong, deep reservations about Mitt Romney, the only other heavy-hitter in the race, so if Perry could satisfy their thirst for purity while demonstrating competence as a candidate and campaigner, he'd be well-positioned to unify the party and run away with the nomination.

But he is failing at both tasks. His performance in last night's debate and thescathing response it has stirred from conservative opinion-shapers offers a vivid illustration of what's going wrong for Perry.

First, there's the matter of ideology. Part of the promise of Perry's candidacy was that he would be a natural match for the Obama era Republican Party base, which is no longer satisfied just hearing the right rhetoric from its leaders -- it wants to believe that they mean it. This is why Romney was -- and still is -- so vulnerable. The words are there, but so are memories of his Massachusetts healthcare law and the array of moderate positions he took during the first decade of his political career.

It turns out, though, that Perry has his share of potentially disqualifying ideological baggage too. In a previous debate, his decision as governor to mandate an HPV vaccine for teenage girls led several of the no-shot conservative candidates (led by Michele Bachmann) to pile on, decrying this supposed violation of parental rights and endorsement of teenage sexual activity. The fringe candidates may not have helped themselves much, but they did succeed in seeding doubts about Perry among the religious conservatives who account for a big chunk of the GOP base.

In last night's debate, a different Perry vulnerability attracted more attention: his support for allowing the children of illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition rates at Texas colleges and universities.  When the question came up, Perry was defiant: "[I ]f you say that we should not educate children who come into our state for no other reason than they've been brought there by no fault of their own, I don't think you have a heart." This led to another pile-on, with Rick Santorum calling Perry "soft" on immigration and Romney claiming that the tuition break was a magnet for illegal immigrants. Perry's posture may be smart politics back in Texas, where Hispanic voters make up a considerable share of the electorate, but when it comes to the national GOP's Tea Party base, it's a serious sin.

By itself, the fact that Perry has vulnerabilities on his right is not necessarily a campaign-killer, especially given the history of Romney, his main opponent. But a much bigger problem is also coming into focus: Perry is a terrible debater who is slow on his feet and has some basic policy blind spots -- and it's starting to rattle Republican opinion leaders.

Perry has participated in three presidential debates now, and his performances have been shaky in all of them. But last night took the cake. On a question about Pakistan, he offered incoherent gibberish that made it clear he was entirely unprepared to discuss the subject. When he was handed a ridiculously easy opening to remind the audience of Romney's past crimes against conservatism, he utterly flubbed it, seeming to lose his concentration andspitting out this response:

I think Americans just don’t know sometimes which Mitt Romney they’re dealing with. Is it the Mitt Romney that was on the side of ... against ... the Second Amendment before he was for the Second Amendment … was it was ... before he was before these social programs, uh, from the standpoint he was standing, uh, for Roe vs. Wade before he was against Roe, uh, Roe vs. Wade … uh … he was … uh for Race To The Top … uh … [pause] … he’s for Obamacare and now he’s against it … I mean, we’ll wait until tomorrow and, and, and wait to see which Mitt Romney we’re really talking to …

And, as has been his custom, he seemed far less focused and energetic as the night wore on. But Romney was sharp and on-point the whole time. He offered his own share of incoherent nonsense -- see, for instance, his response when Perry mentioned that a new edition of Romney's book had scrubbed a reference to making the Massachusetts healthcare plan a national model -- he knew how to sell it. Unlike Perry, Romney was confident and polished, feigning confusion over why anyone would challenge his conservative credentials and insisting he'd been a model of consistency.

The key here is that the Republicans who influence mass opinion in the party seem to be noticing this, and speaking out. After last night's debate, Bill Kristol's Weekly Standard opined that "no front-runner in a presidential field has ever, we imagine, had as weak a showing as Rick Perry" and called it "close to a disqualifying two hours for him." Michelle Malkin ridiculed him for his inability to formulate intelligible responses. David Limbaugh pronounced himself "concerned" that Perry is in "deep trouble." Erick Erickson called his performance "a train wreck." And on and on.

This has got to be a scary combination for Perry. There are already polls showing that he'd fare markedly worse against Barack Obama than Romney. It's arguable whether those numbers really mean much at this early date, but the more debate performances that Perry turns in like last night's, the more he'll give his party's opinion-shaping elites reason to believe he really does have an electability problem. And if that's their conclusion, then they can use immigration, HPV and Perry's other ideological impurities to turn the base against him.

It doesn't have to play out this way, of course, but it's getting easier by the day to see how Perry ends up blowing his golden opportunity.

Offline larsonstdoc

Actual headline...

Rick Perry Is Officially Blowing It
The key here is that the Republicans who influence mass opinion in the party seem to be noticing this, and speaking out.

http://www.alternet.org/news/152515/rick_perry_is_officially_blowing_it/
September 24, 2011  |   

Rick Perry sure knows how to mess up a good thing. When he entered the presidential race last month, the Texas governor had an extraordinary opportunity. The GOP base had strong, deep reservations about Mitt Romney, the only other heavy-hitter in the race, so if Perry could satisfy their thirst for purity while demonstrating competence as a candidate and campaigner, he'd be well-positioned to unify the party and run away with the nomination.

But he is failing at both tasks. His performance in last night's debate and thescathing response it has stirred from conservative opinion-shapers offers a vivid illustration of what's going wrong for Perry.

First, there's the matter of ideology. Part of the promise of Perry's candidacy was that he would be a natural match for the Obama era Republican Party base, which is no longer satisfied just hearing the right rhetoric from its leaders -- it wants to believe that they mean it. This is why Romney was -- and still is -- so vulnerable. The words are there, but so are memories of his Massachusetts healthcare law and the array of moderate positions he took during the first decade of his political career.

It turns out, though, that Perry has his share of potentially disqualifying ideological baggage too. In a previous debate, his decision as governor to mandate an HPV vaccine for teenage girls led several of the no-shot conservative candidates (led by Michele Bachmann) to pile on, decrying this supposed violation of parental rights and endorsement of teenage sexual activity. The fringe candidates may not have helped themselves much, but they did succeed in seeding doubts about Perry among the religious conservatives who account for a big chunk of the GOP base.

IIn last night's debate, a different Perry vulnerability attracted more attention: his support for allowing the children of illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition rates at Texas colleges and universities.  When the question came up, Perry was defiant: "f you say that we should not educate children who come into our state for no other reason than they've been brought there by no fault of their own, I don't think you have a heart." This led to another pile-on, with Rick Santorum calling Perry "soft" on immigration and Romney claiming that the tuition break was a magnet for illegal immigrants. Perry's posture may be smart politics back in Texas, where Hispanic voters make up a considerable share of the electorate, but when it comes to the national GOP's Tea Party base, it's a serious sin.

By itself, the fact that Perry has vulnerabilities on his right is not necessarily a campaign-killer, especially given the history of Romney, his main opponent. But a much bigger problem is also coming into focus: Perry is a terrible debater who is slow on his feet and has some basic policy blind spots -- and it's starting to rattle Republican opinion leaders.

Perry has participated in three presidential debates now, and his performances have been shaky in all of them. But last night took the cake. On a question about Pakistan, he offered incoherent gibberish that made it clear he was entirely unprepared to discuss the subject. When he was handed a ridiculously easy opening to remind the audience of Romney's past crimes against conservatism, he utterly flubbed it, seeming to lose his concentration andspitting out this response:

I think Americans just don’t know sometimes which Mitt Romney they’re dealing with. Is it the Mitt Romney that was on the side of ... against ... the Second Amendment before he was for the Second Amendment … was it was ... before he was before these social programs, uh, from the standpoint he was standing, uh, for Roe vs. Wade before he was against Roe, uh, Roe vs. Wade … uh … he was … uh for Race To The Top … uh … [pause] … he’s for Obamacare and now he’s against it … I mean, we’ll wait until tomorrow and, and, and wait to see which Mitt Romney we’re really talking to …

And, as has been his custom, he seemed far less focused and energetic as the night wore on. But Romney was sharp and on-point the whole time. He offered his own share of incoherent nonsense -- see, for instance, his response when Perry mentioned that a new edition of Romney's book had scrubbed a reference to making the Massachusetts healthcare plan a national model -- he knew how to sell it. Unlike Perry, Romney was confident and polished, feigning confusion over why anyone would challenge his conservative credentials and insisting he'd been a model of consistency.

The key here is that the Republicans who influence mass opinion in the party seem to be noticing this, and speaking out. After last night's debate, Bill Kristol's Weekly Standard opined that "no front-runner in a presidential field has ever, we imagine, had as weak a showing as Rick Perry" and called it "close to a disqualifying two hours for him." Michelle Malkin ridiculed him for his inability to formulate intelligible responses. David Limbaugh pronounced himself "concerned" that Perry is in "deep trouble." Erick Erickson called his performance "a train wreck." And on and on.

This has got to be a scary combination for Perry. There are already polls showing that he'd fare markedly worse against Barack Obama than Romney. It's arguable whether those numbers really mean much at this early date, but the more debate performances that Perry turns in like last night's, the more he'll give his party's opinion-shaping elites reason to believe he really does have an electability problem. And if that's their conclusion, then they can use immigration, HPV and Perry's other ideological impurities to turn the base against him.

It doesn't have to play out this way, of course, but it's getting easier by the day to see how Perry ends up blowing his golden opportunity.

I think this was his campaign-killer.  Support for illegal alien's children.  More than likely they would be going to college for almost nothing.  Middle class people here are already ticked when the kids across the street (poor kids) get grants and their children get nothing because they make too much money.
I'M A DEPLORABLE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT SUPPORTS PRESIDENT TRUMP.  MAY GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIM SAFE.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
Holy Crap...FOXNEWS!!!!!!!!!

Mike Huckabee:
Rick Perry ‘Is Not Prepared For The Pressure Of The Presidential Stage’

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/mike-huckabee-rick-perry-is-not-prepared-for-the-pressure-of-the-presidential-stage/
by Frances Martel | 1:17 pm, September 24th, 2011

Texas governor Rick Perry‘s performance at Thursday night’s Fox News/Google debate have many conservatives second-guessing their initial enthusiasm for the candidate– particularly his stances on immigration. It was not his ideas, but his delivery that concerned Mike Huckabee this morning on his regular Fox & Friends appearance, arguing that his apparent exhaustion proved Perry “is not prepared for the pressure of the presidential stage.”

To Huckabee, Perry “looked dumbfounded” at the immigration question, which was particularly faulty given that it was a question Perry should have seen coming. The delivery and preparation, as well as the general exhaustion, led Huckabee to argue that Perry “is not prepared for the pressure of the presidential stage,” something “not atypical in a presidential election.” But beyond the exhaustion and the fact that he defied the Republican base, to Huckabee it was the argument he used to get to them that hurt him the most.

“He could’ve answered that in a way that would’ve diffused it,” he noted. Huckabee didn’t go on the attack on the issue itself, however, but explained that it was the answer that dismayed him. Instead of going for the “you don’t have a heart line,” Huckabee recommended, he could have pointed out that many illegal immigrants “pay taxes every time they buy something,” and that “we’re not talking about people who just showed up to go to college,” but children already educated in the Texas school system. With all that said, Huckabee concluded by arguing that whether or not Perry succeeded in rehabilitating himself from this attack, the idea that the Republican nomination is a “two-man race” is one that he “highly resented,” not the least due to the fact that he himself had beaten Mitt Romney at the 2008 Iowa caucus and experienced the resistance to a third contender first-hand.

The segment via Fox News below:

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
THE ECONOMIST...

The Economist Asks Is Rick Perry's presidential candidacy in decline?

POLL: http://www.economist.com/economist-asks/rick-perrys-presidential-candidacy-decline

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
Re: Is Rick Perry dropping out? Says he is too 'tired' to compete during FL event
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 04:42:28 PM »
The Atlantic...

Debates Pull Rick Perry From Orbit 'Crashing Back to Earth'
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2011/09/debates-pull-rick-perry-orbit/42897/
Eric Randall Sep 23, 2011

The cliché:  "The GOP front-runner is falling back to Earth," writes Mark Thiessen at The Washington Post, referring, of course, to Texas governor Rick Perry. Echoing him, Rich Lowry at National Review writes, "Perry has been coming back to Earth lately, partly on his uneven debate performances." Lowry's echo of Thiessen probably sounds extra familiar, and not just because a satellite is actually plummeting to Earth today. It got quite a lot of use after Perry's first GOP debate performance. "Another tentative performance in the next debate, on Monday night, could bring his campaign crashing back to Earth as fast as it launched into orbit,"

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
Re: Is Rick Perry dropping out? Says he is too 'tired' to compete during FL event
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 04:46:01 PM »
Boston Herald...

Perry feels fallout from stand on immigration
http://news.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view/20110924perry_feels_fallout_from_stand_on_immigration/
By Todd J. Gillman / The Dallas Morning News
Saturday, September 24, 2011 - Added 6 hours ago

ORLANDO, Fla. – Mitt Romney and others kept Texas Gov. Rick Perry on defense Friday over a state law that offers discounted college tuition to illegal immigrants, as Perry worked to bounce back from an unsteady debate performance that left some conservatives wondering about his bona fides.

Playing off Perry’s contention that anyone opposed to the tuition policy doesn’t understand life on the border and doesn’t "have a heart," Romney pressed the case that Texas’ policy only encourages illegal immigration.

"If you’re opposed to illegal immigration, it doesn’t mean that you don’t have a heart," Romney told thousands of Florida Republicans at a daylong convention for conservatives. "It means that you have a heart, and a brain."

Perry tried to move on, hitting Romney on health care when his turn came but making no mention of the immigration dust-up. That left Romney to exploit a rare opportunity to position himself to the right of his rival.

It sowed doubts with voters like Jo-Ann Walker, a homemaker from Leesburg, Fla., who attended the conference. She said she’s perplexed that Perry would defend the policy he signed into law in 2001, given that it means Texas universities charge less for an illegal immigrant who live in Texas than she would pay to enroll her American-born ninth-grader, who lives in Florida.

"Because I’m a Christian, I kind of see where he’s coming from" trying to help young people in circumstances they didn’t create, Walker said. But "that takes money away from my daughter when she goes to college in four years."

Other GOP opponents reinforced the attack Friday as they wooed activists at the sprawling convention center that hosted Thursday night’s debate.

"As president of the United States I will build a fence along our southern border," Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota promised, to enthusiastic applause. "And we will not have taxpayer subsidized benefits for illegal immigrants or for their children."

Former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, who in the debate accused Perry of being "soft" on illegal immigration, was basking in the afterglow.

"Obviously I think it hurt him a lot," he said in an interview. "People want someone they can trust to take care of a big issue in this country and Rick Perry is ... committed to continuing the status quo when it comes to illegal immigration policy."

Anti-immigrant hard-liners were likewise unforgiving.

Americans for Legal Immigration PAC, which opposes illegal immigration, cited polls showing that four out of five Americans oppose in-state tuition for illegal immigrants. "Perry has assured his own defeat," said ALIPAC president William Gheenv. "GOP voters cannot vote for Rick Perry now without legitimizing and supporting in-state tuition for illegal immigrants."

Immigrant advocates call it ironic –and inaccurate – for Perry’s rivals to paint him as a moderate on immigration. Perry declined to condemn Arizona’s tough immigration enforcement law last year, though he said such a law wouldn’t be right for Texas.

He opposes a proposed federal law known as the DREAM Act that mirrors the Texas law in some ways, but would also create a path to citizenship for younger immigrants brought to the country illegally as children - something only federal legislation can do, of course.

"Ronald Reagan was a moderate on this issue. George W. Bush was a moderate on this issue," said Frank Sharry, head of America’s Voice, a pro-immigrant group. "John McCain used to be a moderate on this issue. Rick Perry is no moderate on this issue."

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 04:52:21 PM »
Conservatives Are Dumping Rick Perry
http://www.independentagenda.com/uncategorized/conservatives-are-dumping-rick-perry/
on September 23, 2011

Texas Gov. Rick Perry had his third consecutive bad debate Thursday night in Orlando, Fla. Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney continued to hammer him on Social Security and Romney and other opponents scored some big points on Perry over immigration.

He also stammered over his “attack” on Romney as a flip flopper—a valid charge but Perry looked amateurish delivering it.

Now, Republican strategists are worried he entered the race too soon or too late or whatever.

Bottom line:  The governor simply may not be smart enough to be president, and he certainly doesn’t appear ready for prime time.

What struck me, though, was the opinion of a conservative focus group convened by Fox News, which co-sponsored the debate with Google, and moderated by GOP strategist Frank Luntz. The participants were critical of Perry and thought Romney had clearly won.

What bothered some of them the most was Perry’s stubborn defense of his policy to let the children of illegal immigrants pay in-state tuition to Texas state universities. That would save these kids  almost $90,000 over out-of-state students.

“If you say that we should not educate children who have come into our state for no other reason than they’ve been brought there by no fault of their own, I don’t think you have a heart,’ he said.

This got the Fox focus group mad. One man said he was tired of “being called heartless because I’m a conservative.”  Other participants were upset about the governor’s whole relatively liberal stance on immigration. Several said they had shifted their votes to Romney in the past week.

Perry’s stand on immigration could play well with Hispanics in a general election campaign. But he’s slipping among the Republican base. If that continues, he may be remembered as the bad boy they dated, but Romney could be the solid man they marry.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 04:57:36 PM »
LOL he has a stand in speaking now for him at the straw poll . ;D 

Rick Perry left the fricking Presidential 5 [has a perfect record of picking GOP nominees] and gave the delegates a "STAND IN"?!?!?!?!?!
W T F ?
What a disgrace! Thos people have been waiting 6 months for this event and they changed the schedule to add him in because he announced he was a candidate late.
He has become the Fred Thompson of the 2012 GOP primaries.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 05:09:51 PM »
Rick Perry left the fricking Presidential 5 [has a perfect record of picking GOP nominees] and gave the delegates a "STAND IN"?!?!?!?!?!
W T F ?
What a disgrace! Thos people have been waiting 6 months for this event and they changed the schedule to add him in because he announced he was a candidate late.
He has become the Fred Thompson of the 2012 GOP primaries.

LOOK AT THE HEADLINE BY AP AT 6:00AM THIS MORNING:

Perry: Mistake by rivals to skip Fla. test vote
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/9863429
AP foreign, Saturday September 24 2011 PHILIP ELLIOTT

Associated Press= ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Working to shake the perception of a stumbling campaign, Texas Gov. Rick Perry told GOP activists Saturday that his 2012 presidential rivals made a mistake by skipping an early test vote that he hopes will calm jitters about his bid. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota both left Florida before the voting began and their campaigns discounted the straw poll's role in the campaign.

THE VOTING BEGAN AT 4:00PM!

RICK PERRY SAID HE WAS TIRED AND GOT ON A PLANE OUT OF THE STATE BEFORE 3:00PM!

HE DID THE EXACT SAME THING!

Online chris jones

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 05:25:31 PM »
 Yes, he just could be on the way out. His backers $$ will have to decide on this one, Perry doesn't have the mentality to make that decision.
 The inner circle, king makers, will be the deciding factor, in the event they have judged him to be debit he will be kicked loose.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 06:11:25 PM »
He got 2nd in the Pres 5 (which looks like it was manipulated all to heck), but his quick departure was weird and the MSM cover stories are awkward.

Offline attietewd

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 08:11:05 PM »
Could this be the reason?

Larry Flynt Takes Aim At Rick Perry, Offers $1 Million For Information On Sexual Encounters

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/22/larry-flynt-rick-perry_n_976781.html
“Thus, condemnation will never come to those who are in Christ Jesus…”

Offline Freeski

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 12:47:40 PM »
Fox News panel:
Perry campaign near ‘total collapse’

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/09/fox-news-panel-perry-campaign-near-total-collapse/
Posted on 09.25.11
By David Edwards

A panel of conservative pundits on Fox News savaged Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry Sunday after the candidate had a rough week.

The Texas governor followed a poor debate performance with a loss to Herman Cain in the Florida straw poll Saturday, a defeat made even worse by the fact that he had actively campaigned there.

“Perry really did throw up on himself in the debate at a time when he needed to raise his game,” Fox News’ Brit Hume told Chris Wallace. “Perry is about one half a step away from almost total collapse as a candidate.”

“This is a much more closed straw poll than the one in Ames, and these are discerning voters, very loyal Republican, they’ve been paying attention to this process all along,” The Hill’s A.B. Stoddard noted. “It was a real slap towards Perry and Mitt Romney. And you really got a sense when I spoke to Republicans on Friday — as many as I could after the debate — the sense was not only that Perry had given a dismal performance and, of course, Romney had won, but that they don’t like their choices at all.”

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 11:51:45 PM »
HOLY CRAPOLA...THE HILL!!!

When Rick Perry drops out: Ron Paul will be second place
http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/presidential-campaign/183807-when-rick-perry-drops-out-ron-paul-could-be-second-place-republicans-enter-the-wild-west
By Brent Budowsky - 09/26/11 09:55 AM ET

I wrote in August that Rick Perry will self- destruct within 30 days. His prospects for the presidency were as phony as the fantasy of a two-person race was false. Perry is a phony conservative who is not conservative. He is a pay-for-play politician who gobbled up Obama stimulus like a hound dog eating a bone, and created oceans of new government jobs in Texas while his big donors mysteriously received big government contracts. The Texas deficit ballooned and the Texas jobless rate doubled on Rick Perry's watch.

I will not speculate about the reasons for Rick Perry' s strange, weird and incoherent debate performance. Major new negative stories about Perry will soon emerge in the media. Trust me. Perry will drop out long before the year ends. If he dropped out today Ron Paul could well be in second place. Will pundits say it is a two-man race between Romney and Paul?

This is the most unpredictable campaign in many years. One insider recently asserted that if the election were held today Obama would certainly lose. Nonsense. Obama would cream Perry. I laughed when media pundits lauded the buffoon Donald Trump for a month as the great Republican hope.

This notion that the GOP contest was a two-man race was a mirage and pure pundit malpractice from the beginning.

Another mirage is Chris Christie, a not-very- popular freshman governor with zero national experience who could easily be defeated for reelection by dynamic Democratic Mayor Cory Booker.

Sarah Palin could jump in, but if she did, her motive would be to prevent any other Republican from winning. Obama would clean Palin's clock. So what next?

Mitt Romney is the Tom Dewey of 2012. He is qualified, presidential — and distrusted by virtually everyone. Like Dewey he looks like the plastic man on the wedding cake. He could be elected. Remember, Dewey almost won in 1948, but if Obama plays Truman I suspect he beats Mitt, but I could be wrong.

When Perry drops out, Ron Paul could be in second place. It could be a magical moment for Ron Paul, and perhaps Herman Cain, for a clean shot at second place. Let’s see what they do with it. Both Paul and Cain deserve far more respect from the major media. This is not a Soviet campaign where Pravda-like pundits treat certain candidates as though they do not exist.

If Jon Huntsman moves above the 10 percent he recently polled in New Hampshire, he becomes very serious. If not, he drops out by December and endorses Mitt.

The Republican battle is the exact opposite of a two-person race and always has been. It is wide open like the Wild West. The big question is who emerges as the leading conservative opponent to Romney, and whether Romney can make the leap to be trusted as a credible president.

Forget Chris Christie. The man to watch is Mitch Daniels, governor of Indiana. Daniels is trusted by all factions of the party, is highly qualified, and in my view has the best chance of defeating Obama. I have said it before. Remember where you heard it.

Rick Perry is toast. The two-man race is dead. The Republicans have entered the Wild West without Perry as a big-time player.

Offline Kilika

• Thank you Jesus!
Re: Is Rick Perry dropping out? MSM seems to be saying YES
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 05:01:03 AM »
Bottom line:  The governor simply may not be smart enough to be president, and he certainly doesn’t appear ready for prime time.

WOW! Think about that statement for a bit. We had Dubya, and they are questioning if Perry is smart enough? If they put Bush in, and they are questioning Perry, just how bad is Perry? Perry worse than Bush? THAT is a scary thought!

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
1 Timothy 6:10 (KJB)