TRAITORS Aim To Create New Unconstitutional Legislative Body: 'Super Congress'

Author Topic: TRAITORS Aim To Create New Unconstitutional Legislative Body: 'Super Congress'  (Read 54200 times)

Offline RonPaulRocks

• Neocons Beware!
    • Calgary 9/11 Truth
Council Of 13 Takes Dictatorial Power Of The United States! RED ALERT!
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 03:39:30 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWlEbbZb29A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXIUHW3cEAw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO9JJ7X25Eg

Alex can't even sleep.  He is up making YouTube videos right now.  America is truly a dictatorship.  The people are asleep still!  We need the people to wake up their neighbors!!

Alex is pissed!

I can't believe no one is talking about this.  The Council Of 13 now rules America! 
Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.  -- George Orwell

Offline RonPaulRocks

• Neocons Beware!
    • Calgary 9/11 Truth
Re: Council Of 13 Takes Dictatorial Power Of The United States! RED ALERT!
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 03:45:09 AM »
Who has read the bill?  Anyone here?
Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.  -- George Orwell

Offline shipgeek

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 03:52:23 AM »
E MARE LIBERTAS

Offline RonPaulRocks

• Neocons Beware!
    • Calgary 9/11 Truth
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 04:03:22 AM »
No time but here is the text

Text of the Debt Ceiling Agreement

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/08/01/us/politics/debt-ceiling-bill-text.html?ref=politics

::)

I hate the wording of these things.  No one could possibly read this in a week.  Those lawyers must be well paid to create treasonous legislation such as this.

Offline RonPaulRocks

• Neocons Beware!
    • Calgary 9/11 Truth
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 04:12:04 AM »
Bump!

Offline Monkeypox

• He Loved Big Brother
    • Monkeypox
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 04:14:52 AM »
It's all a pathetic joke.

I really believe the bottom is going to drop out soon.
War Is Peace - Freedom Is Slavery - Ignorance Is Strength

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."

—Thomas Jefferson

Offline RonPaulRocks

• Neocons Beware!
    • Calgary 9/11 Truth
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 04:22:17 AM »
It's all a pathetic joke.

I really believe the bottom is going to drop out soon.

What do you mean?

Offline shipgeek

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 04:23:40 AM »
So they brought in Giffords - this was not unexpected it was planned - to soften the whole package and play sentimentalism, knowing that she would vote in favour of the debt ceiling hyke so all would follow suit and vote like her.

A hidden form of manipulation. Those who did not get it are blind.
E MARE LIBERTAS

Offline shipgeek

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 04:28:33 AM »
Welcome back to the USSR.
E MARE LIBERTAS

Offline Paranoid Puppet Master

Offline NastyNorthNyc

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 04:49:24 AM »
My friends, they have something coming up for the anniversary of 9/11

They always wait 10 years for their next step

This isn't nothing yet

They are planning to cause complete chaos here

Offline RonPaulRocks

• Neocons Beware!
    • Calgary 9/11 Truth
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 05:21:29 AM »
This thing is out of control.  And they are so dominant with the mainstream media that no one calls them on it at all!!

I did see Judge Andrew Napalitano say its bad and "may be unconstitutional" but that is really minor.  He should be screaming!

Offline NastyNorthNyc

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2011, 05:31:01 AM »
This thing is out of control.  And they are so dominant with the mainstream media that no one calls them on it at all!!

I did see Judge Andrew Napalitano say its bad and "may be unconstitutional" but that is really minor.  He should be screaming!

Theres so much somebody that is on tv and obviously getting paid lots of money to be on tv can say

They will only take the truth to what their allowed to take it to

It's like snitching on your own boss, you snitch on your boss that's it you're fired or even worse in some cases

Offline NastyNorthNyc

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2011, 05:33:46 AM »
People have to understand the Illuminati/ELites gives "The Other Side" chances to get their word out

This is why we have The Internet and we're still allowed to say whatever we want. They have their system and we have ours

You have to look at Black and White, Their The Black The Dark Side and we're the light

And it's allowed because thats how they set things up

Offline NastyNorthNyc

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2011, 05:35:01 AM »
Good vs Evil, if you believe it or not. They created that system

And this is why The Legend Alex Jones is still here with us

And thats why I laugh at all the disinfo shit people make up about him

Offline RonPaulRocks

• Neocons Beware!
    • Calgary 9/11 Truth
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2011, 05:45:52 AM »
Theres so much somebody that is on tv and obviously getting paid lots of money to be on tv can say

They will only take the truth to what their allowed to take it to

It's like snitching on your own boss, you snitch on your boss that's it you're fired or even worse in some cases

Yes I guess so.  He usually says the right things but he can't rattle the cage too much or he'll be fired I'm guessing.

I just wish someone had the balls to raise a real stink. 

Offline endof

yep.

problem, reaction, solution.

Glad most here at least didnt fall for it. The imf will spread unopposed like a plauge.

Offline Dok

• end times and current events
New Super Congress Getting Even More Super Powers In Debt Deal: This Ordo Ab Chao Always Was About Totalitarianism

In order to shore up GOP support for a deal to raise the debt ceiling, Senate Democrats are exploring ways of giving the proposed "super Congress" even greater super powers, according to multiple news reports and congressional aides with knowledge of the plan. Under the new proposal, if the new legislative body, made up of six Democrats and six Republicans from both chambers, doesn't come up with a bill that cuts at least $1.5 trillion by Thanksgiving, entitlement programs will automatically be slashed. Under the reported framework, legislation the new congressional committee writes would be fast-tracked through Congress and could not be filibustered or amended. Last weekend, HuffPost reported on the extraordinary powers being delegated to the emerging super Congress, but most beltway media has largely dismissing the group as just another Washington commission... If seniors didn't have enough to worry about, they could now be on the opposite side of Washington's most entrenched lobby. A beefed-up super Congress will be difficult for House Democrats to swallow, but they are used to being force fed legislation they hate. In the past, they have passed unpalatable legislation under pressure -- usually by the White House -- to prevent the latest professed calamity from happening.

rest: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/31/super-congress-debt-ceiling-deficit-deal_n_914272.html
HOW TO BE SAVED
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/how_to_be_saved.html

Ye Must Be Born Again!
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Basics/ye_must_be_born_again.htm

True Salvation & the TRUE Gospel/Good News!
http://www.contendingfortruth.com/?p=1060

how to avoid censorship ;)

Offline Dok

• end times and current events
Super Congress: The Final Nail In The Coffin Of Representative Democracy And Freedom As We Know It

Cloaked in the fear surrounding the debt ceiling and a possible default is the most dangerous legislation that America has ever faced. If this passes, the Super Congress will make the PATRIOT Act look like a just and fair law. When six Republicans, six Democrats and the President have complete control over the legislature, we need to be concerned. The most frightening aspect of this proposed “committee”, inaccurate though the term may be, is the fact that lawmakers in Washington have already openly admitted the unprecedented power they will be afforded. Referring to the Super Congress as a committee is a bit deceitful. Calling it a Supreme Council of Overlords would be a bit more accurate. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid made this quite clear by announcing on the Senate floor that, “The joint committee – there are no constraints. They can look at any program we have in government, any program … It has the ability to look at everything.”

rest: link
HOW TO BE SAVED
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/how_to_be_saved.html

Ye Must Be Born Again!
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Basics/ye_must_be_born_again.htm

True Salvation & the TRUE Gospel/Good News!
http://www.contendingfortruth.com/?p=1060

how to avoid censorship ;)

Offline RonPaulRocks

• Neocons Beware!
    • Calgary 9/11 Truth
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2011, 10:52:52 AM »
Yes I guess so.  He usually says the right things but he can't rattle the cage too much or he'll be fired I'm guessing.

I just wish someone had the balls to raise a real stink. 
Argh this is frustrating!

Offline Optimus

• Globalist Destroyer
  • Global Moderator
    • GlobalGulag.com
Senate is discussing this now and will vote on it an hour from now at 12pm EST.

http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN2/
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people,
it's an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” – Patrick Henry

>>> Global Gulag Media & Forum <<<

Alex just said the bill passed two minutes ago.

Offline DireWolf

• Freedom, Liberty & death to the NWO
Choke, choke, gasp,gasp. We now breathe our last as a Constitutionally governed nation. There will be no law but that which is given through this Body of 13. All our rights will be gone and we will now fear the busting down of our doors in the middle of the night and the disappearance of our loved ones.

This may seem far-fetched to many but history proves it is all too often more a reality a reality than not.
Freedom and Liberty, or slavery and death, your choice, choose wisely.

Offline Freeski

Don't panic, as if an American president would sign this!
"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Sasha

• Sasha
Druid Holy Days and the death of the US constitutional-republic:

sacrificed to the 'Earth Mother', the body left to rot on a bier for three months, to be burried on the feast of the dead

Lughnasad: 1st of August; known as the Feast of Lugh, the Irish God, who was considered the son of the Sun. This was a time to celebrate the new harvest and to give thanks to Earth Mother for her bounty.

Samhain: The 1st of November, is known as the Celtic New Year and the Day of the Dead. The feast for this time known to the ancient Celts is    "Trinoux Samonis", or "Tritinoux Samonis". Rituals performed on this day are rituals of Divination or Protection, because it is thought that the veil between our world and the other world was the thinnest allowing spirits to pass over freely. This was also a time for remembering and paying respect to those who have died during the year. Feasts, games, and bonfires were held to pay tribute to the dead. It is also said that people would dress as ghouls and ghosts to scare away the spirits, as well as build bonfires to sit around in hopes it would keep the spirits from their children. There are many derivations of these Fables. The current day celebration of Samhain is Halloween, or All Hallows Eve. This is an Old World holiday that has been changed over time, but has not been lost over the predominantly Christian decades.
Morality is contraband in war.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Sasha

• Sasha
votes for and against the Super-Congress

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll690.xml
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Sasha

• Sasha
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Nailer

Don't panic, as if an American president would sign this!

thats the problem we don't have a American president.. we do have a kenyan illegal immigrant squatting in the whitehouse.
I am a realist that is slightly conservative yet I have some republican demeanor that can turn democrat when I feel the urge to flip independant.

The truth shall set you free, if not a 45ACP round will do the trick.. HEHE

Offline RonPaulRocks

• Neocons Beware!
    • Calgary 9/11 Truth
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2011, 08:23:06 PM »
Argh this is frustrating!

No this means the end of America as you know it officially.  Welcome Soviet Russia.  When will the strong American public stand up?

Offline Freeski

thats the problem we don't have a American president.. we do have a kenyan illegal immigrant squatting in the whitehouse.

Yeah, that too!
"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Sasha

• Sasha
The Super Congress We Did Not Elect
Posted: 8/2/11 04:01 PM ET
R.W. Sanders
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rw-sanders/the-super-congress-we-did_b_914635.html

Perhaps I was asleep, or have amnesia, or maybe I was abducted by aliens, but I don't remember ever having elected a Super Congress. However, apparently there will be a committee of twelve that will effectively run our country. That is, if Congress votes for the debt crisis solution posed by Obama and his fellow republicans.

On Sunday the president informed us that he, Mitch McConnel and John Boehner have reached a "compromise" to solve the debt ceiling crisis. This deal will consist of spending cuts only and no new revenues in the form of new taxes or even closing loopholes. In fact, the only thing the president won on this deal is that he won't have to raise the debt ceiling until 2013, after the next presidential election. According to the new deal, after immediate cuts of a trillion dollars over the next decade are instituted, the rest of the cutting will be done by a "Super Congress" made up of six Republicans and six Democrats. However, I have yet to hear who will pick the members. And if this new unelected committee is comprised like the "gang of six" or the original Simpson/Bowles debt reduction commission appointed by the president, then there will be six attack dog republicans and six democrats in name only. This is not representation of the electorate in any form or fashion.

A Great Victory For The Tea Party

Yes, once again our president who was elected as a Democrat has caved to the Republican Tea Party. This is beyond understanding. The Tea Party, which is made up of but a small segment of the Republican party, seems to now be in charge of our government. Not only can Boehner and McConnell not control this faction, but the president cannot either. This faction has taught us that, in this government, if you lay out ultimatums and you refuse to bend at all, that is the recipe for success. And what is most incredible is that this band of radicals, who don't believe in government and made up of mostly brand new congressmen, has pulled off a coup d' etat of sorts. They dictated terms and got everything they wanted and gave up nothing to the democrats or even to the more moderate members of the Republican party. And if they are prominent on the new "Super Congress", then they will certainly own that as well.

Government Without Representation

This "Super Congress" of twelve will recommend cuts that will basically go unchallenged. They must make their recommendations by Thanksgiving, then the congress must have up or down votes with no changes. A simple yes or no vote to enact new law with vast implications on the lives of every American. That this group will be appointed and not elected is bad enough, but if their cuts hopefully done with a scalpel are not voted in, there will be a trigger that takes effect and makes even more draconian cuts, most likely with a butcher knife or ax.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Sasha

• Sasha
I might be off but, it looks like we'll see a Council of 13 built like:

3 GOP Reps
3 Dem Reps
3 GOP Senators
3 Dem Senators
1 Imperator

All the trappings of a Republic, with the consolodated rule of a Caesar
Pax Amerikana,
friends, Americans, countrymen, lend me your ears,...
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline tritonman

Judge Napolitano on the Council of 13:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91QEIenOeY0&feature=player_embedded

???  Man this really sucks is all I can say.  I hate faux but kinda like the judge, thanks for putting the link up.

I might be off but, it looks like we'll see a Council of 13 built like:

3 GOP Reps
3 Dem Reps
3 GOP Senators
3 Dem Senators
1 Imperator

All the trappings of a Republic, with the consolodated rule of a Caesar
Pax Amerikana,
friends, Americans, countrymen, lend me your ears,...

Plus it looks like they can always blame the left-right paradigm, even if one party has a majority in both houses and the white house.

Offline larsonstdoc

Except for 9/11, TODAY IS THE WORST DAY DINCE THE DAY JFK WAS ASSASSINATED.
I'M A DEPLORABLE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT SUPPORTS PRESIDENT TRUMP.  MAY GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIM SAFE.

Offline jwages

• PMCV
Take a look at Boehners version, in particular pg 35, starting with section 401. It is nearly identical in language to the Senate version. This Joint Select Comitee, is not constrained soely to deficit reduction, is appointed not elected, can originate legislation, suspends all congressional and senate rules regarding its legislation, can over ride vetos by itsself. Appointment for three comitee members is made by the House and Senate majority and minority leaders for a grand total of 12 members. These appointments are for the life of the comitee, or their tenure, and vacancies are filed within 14 days. In summation this is the motivation for this manufactured crisis, passage of this legislation. It matters not which version is ultimately made into law, as this section is nearly identical in both versions. Welcome to fascism.
SEC. 401. ESTABLISHMENT OF JOINT SELECT COMMITTEE
?
Go to page 35 for the part on the Super Congress. God help us if this is enacted.   http://www.rules.house.gov/Media/file/PDF_112_1/legislativetext/S627%20amnt.pdf

But it got worse.... Here is the version that passed.

http://rules.house.gov/Media/file/PDF_112_1/Floor_Text/DEBT_016_xml.pdf

Start reading at page 53... the rest is fluff.
Shall not be infringed!!!

Offline Sasha

• Sasha
???  Man this really sucks is all I can say.  I hate faux but kinda like the judge, thanks for putting the link up.

happy to share, sad for the content
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Sasha

• Sasha
Plus it looks like they can always blame the left-right paradigm, even if one party has a majority in both houses and the white house.

that's exactly what I suspected too
its a triple false left-right paridigm with no accountability
they can play both houses, both parties, and the transpolitical execuative off of each other
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Sasha

• Sasha
PICKET: Some lawmakers remain leery of 'Super Congress'
Kerry Picket  Published on August 2, 2011
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2011/aug/2/picket-lawmakers-remain-leery-super-congress/

(AP Photo/Harry Hamburg)

The U.S. House of Representatives passed the debt ceiling bill otherwise known as Budget Control Act of 2011 early Monday evening. The final vote tally was 269 to 161. The legislation had bipartisan support, bringing in 174 Republican and 95 Democratic “yes” votes. Though, there remains bi-patisan opposition in the Senate, the bill is expected to pass as of Tuesday morning.

A bi-partisan twelve member joint committee or a "super congress" as some are calling it, included in the debt ceiling bill, will be set up following the legislation's passage. Member of the joint committee will be appointed by the four leaders in both parties from the upper and lower chambers. The committee has until Thanksgiving to produce a proposal to cut $1.5 trillion in future deficits. Congress has a deadline of December 23 to vote on the joint committee's recommendations.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid touted the joint committee on Monday afternoon and told reporters, "Everyone knows that a joint committee was my proposal. I'm glad that Senator McConnell has put his arms around this. I hope that we can get something done. I was just told as I was walking out of this, 'I hope this doesn't affect the vote over there today.' I was told that Representative Cantor said that he...someone just told me that Cantor said that revenue could very well be part of what we do with the joint committee."

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor's office sent out a statement refuting Mr. Reid's claim saying, "Nothing could be further from the truth. As Leader Cantor has said since the beginning of this debate, House Republicans will not agree to tax increases. Period. Senator Reid's claim is absolutely FALSE."

Unlike most pieces of legislation, though, the reform package kicked out by the joint committee would only require a simple majority in the Senate not 60 votes to crack a potential filibuster on that chamber's floor. The fact the committee's proposals can bypass the Senate filibuster and can put forth any kind of reform to the federal budget hardly sits well with some members of Congress.

Senator Jeff Sessions, Alabama Republican, expressed in his remarks on the floor last week he does not favor the joint committee:

I am also concerned about the dubious special committee. It is a plan that allows Congressional leaders to dictate critical national issues without being subject to full committee process and without amendment. Such actions are a serious evasion of historical Senate procedure. I strongly believe with encouragement from the Leaders that our regular process could produce a better result. If the White House or the Democrat leadership in the Senate had taken the legally required budget process seriously at any point in the last year—if they had presented a single credible plan to cut spending—we wouldn’t be here right now in the 11th hour.

Mr. Sessions has already expressed he will not vote for the House passed budget control act on Tuesday afternoon.

Leaders are giving few clues regarding who they plan on appointing and most lawmakers are either not interested in the job or keep their interests in the committee low key. Who would want to serve on the joint committee, though?

There are two Senators who have expressed interest in being appointed on the Super Congress.

I asked Senator Scott Brown, Massachusetts Republican, if he would be interested in serving on the joint committee, if Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Kentucky Republican, appointed him and Mr. Brown answered quickly, "Yeah sure...of course."

Senator Mark Warner, Virginia Democrat, told Fox News on Tuesday morning he is also interested in serving on the joint committee. "This is a step forward towards deficit reduction." Mr. Warner will vote yes on the debt deal on Tuesday afternoon.

"Senator McConnell and I have talked very briefly about this. I'll be interested to see what ideas he has for his own people. The decision is totally his, but I'm going to make that decision in subsequent time. Two weeks after this bill is passed and it's extremely important that I pick people who are willing to make hard choices but aren't locked in," said Senator Reid when I asked him  on Monday who he would be looking at for the joint committee.

"One of my friends asked in here here asked me and he said he wanted to be on the joint committee, and I think it doesn't bode well for me to choose someone that the world  knows how they feel about before they go into it. I think we better look at other avenues. I best pick three people, including the co-chair, that will work toward a solution for the  long term debt of our country."

Senator Reid noted that those who vote against the debt ceiling bill could still have a chance to be on the committee, "because people can vote against this bill and still think the joint committee is a good idea." However, he also cautioned that those who were critical of the super congress are not likely to be appointed.

A spokesman for Senator McConnell reportedly said the Kentucky Republican would also not look at whether or not a Republican Senator voted for the bill as a criteria for an appointment on the joint committee.

"I was referring to people who said the committee was a waste of time--nothing will happen there. I just think we have to go into this with people who have eyes wide open willing to make difficult choices but yet understand the political reality of the world we are in," he said.

Senator Ben Nelson, Nebraska Democrat, could probably count himself out. Mr. Nelson has been a vocal critic of the joint committee and told me on Monday that while he would like to see those who can make "balanced decisions" on the joint committee, "I have reservations about a committee, in any event. I’m not anxious to cede any of my responsibility to a group of others." Mr. Nelson later added, ". I wasn’t a fan of the base realignment closing commission. I always voted against their proposals."

Senator Lamar Alexander, Tennessee Republican, likes the idea of a joint committee that will deal with the debt ceiling, but Mr. Alexander did not say one way or another if he was interested in actually being a member of the committee.

"Well I think it’s a good idea. It’s like the base closing commission that we have or the Harry Byrd committee on spending that was appointed around the time of World War Two. It’s appropriate for Congress to select a committee of it’s own members—no outside experts nobody from the administration to deal with an especially difficult issue. I think it’s a good idea and it’s likely to work," the Tennessee Senator said.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Sasha

• Sasha
Super Congress Debt Reduction Has Little Transparency
Paul Blumenthal
8/2/11 12:37 PM ET
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/02/super-congress-debt-reduc_n_916151.html

WASHINGTON -- The proposed so-called "super Congress," created by congressional leaders in the debt deal and required to find $1.5 trillion in debt reduction over the next ten years, could wind up making those decisions behind closed doors, away from the public eye.

The text of the budget deal reached by President Barack Obama and congressional leaders contains few specific public disclosure provisions for the committee. The standing committees of Congress are allowed to send suggestions for ways to reduce the debt to the super committee members, but there is, as yet, no provision for the disclosure of those reports. The final report is required to be publicly disclosed upon completion, however there is no requirement that the report be placed online. There are also no official requirements for web-casting of committee meetings.

"Anything that they are getting should be made public," Steve Ellis, vice president of Taxpayers for Common Sense, said to HuffPost. "If someone is going to send something to the committee and say, 'this is what our opinions are,' the public has a right to know that."

Transparency advocates want to make sure the super committee operates in the open and in a manner that is responsive to the public, especially as it is tasked with crafting such an important policy.

"Since they have a direct route to the floor and the bill can't be amended, this committee should be accountable to the public," John Wonderlich, policy director of the Sunlight Foundation, told HuffPost. "It's not just that we see the bill when it's finished, but we see what was proposed beforehand."

"I think it's disappointing that they didn't put more transparency into the legislation," Project On Government Oversight's Angela Canterbury, director of public policy, said to HuffPost. "The only thing that I saw in the legislation was that they should make public their proposal and legislative language. That's not going to cut it. That's not even the minimum we should expect."

Aside from the specific language in the bill, the super committee could fall flat on transparency by simply following the rules for committee openness.

While the House Rules were updated by Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio) to include a provision requiring committees to webcast their hearings "to the maximum extent possible," some very important committee business was conducted without video or audio broadcast. The House Appropriations subcommittees routinely held bill markups in rooms that were not wired for video or audio, cutting the public out of the process.

Even worse, the Senate Armed Services subcommittees held all but one of their markups for this year's defense authorization bill in closed session. The only open session was held by Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), chairwoman of the Subcommittee on Readiness And Management Support.

The co-chairs of the committee will be able to set their own rules for the committee, providing an opportunity to set openness rules. The rules for joint committees requires that the first meeting be held in open session and be used to determine committee rules.

"The co-chairs can make this a transparent process so that the public can participate and all of the members of Congress can remain informed," Canterbury said.

Another concern is that the super committee could turn into shark bait for lobbyists.

"Our lobbying disclosure laws are easily evaded, and only require reporting quarterly for those who don't skirt the law," Wonderlich wrote in a blog post on Tuesday. "Committee members should go beyond statutory requirements, and post every meeting they take with lobbyists or other powerful interests online, along with any materials submitted to them."

The Obama administration routinely set lobbying disclosure rules beyond those required under law for regulatory and spending decisions that were connected to large, well-known pieces of legislation. Both the stimulus bill spending and the regulations set under the Dodd-Frank financial reform law have been subject to extensive lobbying disclosure requirements.

The committee structure, however, does not appear to be designed for transparency and public access. By tying the hands of the committee through time constraints and reporting deadlines, congressional leaders made it harder for the group to operate in an open manner.

Ellis explained that the time constraints placed on the "super Congress" will require a "balancing act" between public access and efficiency: "It's as much about form as it is about function."

"This is the same as the whole debt debate," Wonderlich said. "The power struggle trumps process entirely. The committee is designed for power, not for transparency and accountability."
- Mahatma Gandhi