The Egypt Revolution has turned into a horror movie [Just as the NWO planned]

Author Topic: The Egypt Revolution has turned into a horror movie [Just as the NWO planned]  (Read 12365 times)

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
Notice that the mainstream media is 100% quiet about Egypt after they helped to take out their entire government through a series of deceptive tactics (documented within this forum with more info here: http://www.puppet99.com/?p=218 ) by Jacob Rothschild, David Rockefeller, Joseph Nye, Richard Haass, Henry Kissinger, Haim Saban, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Emir Al-Thani, Joseph Cohen, Mitt Romney, and other trilateral terrorists?

Do you want to know why the MSM will not touch this story? Because all of those puppet pundits who were claiming this was a victory for "Arab democracy" and a "spontaneous and organic" rise of free people over a tyrannical regime now know the truth. They were willful accomplices in a Bilderberg plot to commit genocide in North Africa using RAND Corp's SMART MOB technology, Rothschild's freezing of Mubarak's assets, propaganda from Brookings/CFR/Heritage, 24/7 media manipulation by Al-Jazeera/CNN/ABC/CBS/MSNBC/FOX, and all of the Joseph Nye mythology building bullshit.

Here is just one of thousands of reports from the front lines (which is every single home and business) in Egypt:

Egypt: Why Are the Churches Burning?
http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2011/may/17/egypt-why-are-churches-burning/
Yasmine El Rashidi

On a recent afternoon this month, in a busy downtown Cairo street, armed men exchanged gunfire, threw rocks and Molotov cocktails, and freely wielded knives in broad daylight. The two-hour fight, which began as an attempt by some shop-owners to extort the customers of others, left eighty-nine wounded and many stores destroyed. In the new Egypt, incidents like this are becoming commonplace. On many nights I go to bed to the sound of gunfire, and each morning I leaf through newspapers anticipating more stories of crime. Stopped at gun-point; car stolen; head severed; kidnapped from school, held at ransom; armed men storm police station opening fire and killing four; prison cells unlocked—91 criminals on the loose. Many people I know have already bought guns; on street corners metal bludgeons are being sold for $3; and every week I receive an email, or SMS, or Facebook message about a self-defense course, or purse-size electrocution tool, or new shipments of Mace. “These are dangerous times,” my mother told me recently as she handed me a Chinese-made YT-704 “super high voltage pulse generator.” “You have to take precautions, keep it in your bag.”

Even more worrying, it seems increasingly clear that a variety of groups have been encouraging the violence, in part by rekindling sectarian tensions that had disappeared during the Tahrir Square uprising, when Muslim and Coptic protesters protected one another against Mubarak’s thugs. Since then, there have been a series of attacks on Copts, and the perpetrators seem to include hardline Islamists (often referred to as Salafis), remnants of the former regime, and even, indirectly, some elements of the military now in charge, who have allowed these attacks to play out—all groups that in some way have an interest in disrupting a smooth transition to a freely elected civil government and democratic state.

On the weekend of May 7 and 8, in the Cairo district of Imbaba—an impoverished working-class neighborhood that has been a stronghold of militant Islamists in the past—a group of Salafis tried to force their way into Saint Mina Church, a local Coptic house of worship. They were demanding the release of a woman, Abeer, an alleged convert to Islam whom they claimed—without evidence—the church was holding against her will. (Christians here have long alleged that Islamists kidnap their girls, rape them, and force them to convert to Islam. In recent weeks, those allegations have grown. Now, some Salafis have been making similar charges about Copts.).

The day before, via Twitter, they had called on Muslims to come to the church to “free a Muslim sister,” and on Saturday night, a handful of Salafis and some thugs gathered outside the church, waving sticks and swords, chanting Allahu Akbar (Allah is the Greatest), provoking onlookers. A Christian man pulled out a gun and fired at them from a café nearby, and Christian residents from neighboring buildings followed suit, shooting from balconies. Before long, a battle had begun. The Muslim men and a growing crowd of hooligans brought out Molotov cocktails, rifles, handguns, bludgeons and knives. Eventually, the church was set on fire.

It was several hours before the police, fire department, and army showed up, and even then, witnesses told me, “they just stood by watching.” By the time they began firing tear-gas and dispersing the crowds, the Islamists and their now-large entourage of young men (many of whom were later revealed to be thugs with criminal records) had decided to move on. “They announced they were heading to another church to destroy it,” one eyewitness, a lawyer (and Muslim), told me, “and off they went.” The army just watched them march off, weapons in hand.

At the second Coptic church, also in Imbaba, two kilometers away, the mob wreaked havoc. A video shows a group of several hundred men marching towards it, breaking open its metal door, and smashing everything in sight. One man held a gun. Some were bearded; others young and clean shaven. The two attacks left fifteen people dead (including both Muslims and Copts) and 242 injured—some struck by stray bullets or broken glass, rocks, and wood; others burned in the fire. Many more were nearly comatose from inhaling large amounts of tear gas.

By the time I got to the second church early Sunday morning, it was a scene of devastation. The church priest, Father Metias, sat on a wooden bench in the middle of the burned building consoling sobbing Christians, who kissed his hand. “Even if it wasn’t this woman, Abeer, who they claim was held by the church, they would find another excuse. Before Abeer there was Camilia,” he told me, referring to a similar case in which Salafis claimed that a Coptic woman named Camilia had converted to Islam and was being held in another church. (Camilia eventually appeared on TV refuting the Salafi claims. Abeer, on the other hand, whose whereabouts during the attacks remain unclear, has since handed herself over to the military and is being investigated on several charges.) “These Salafis are radical, they want to eradicate the Copts from the country,” the priest said. “But I hold the army and leaders responsible. There is a security vacuum. Those who commit crimes are not being held accountable.”

By far the largest Christian minority in the Middle East, Egypt’s Copts account for some ten percent of the country’s population of 82 million. Since Mubarak’s resignation on February 11, hardline Salafis —who were kept under tight control by the former regime—have become vocal opponents of the church. Although they command only a small fraction of the followers of the mainstream Muslim Brotherhood, the Salafis’ brand of purist Islam is popular among some in conservative and working class districts, where there is growing resentment that the revolution hasn’t brought any tangible benefits. Leading up to the  March constitutional referendum, they promoted “yes” as a vote for “religion and stability,” and they are increasingly turning to the same outreach strategies long-used by the Brotherhood to win supporters. In some areas, Salafi Sheikhs have been using their Friday sermons to incite violence against Copts, whom they regard as infidels, and preach against democracy, which they say is not compatible with their goal of establishing an Islamic State.

The first major attack on the Coptic community occurred on March 4, when armed thugs bulldozed a church to its foundations on the outskirts of Cairo, allegedly over an illicit relationship between a Coptic man and a Muslim woman. The incident was followed by riots and clashes that left 13 people dead and 140 wounded. Yet rather than arresting and charging those responsible—sending them for quick military trials as it increasingly does with peaceful youth protesters—the military simply called on a Salafi Sheikh, Mohamed Hassan, to visit the area and try to reconcile Copts and Muslims.

Outraged by this response, several thousand Copts from across Cairo marched that night to the State TV and Radio Building, ten minutes from Tahrir, and set up camp nearby. They were demanding that the military bring the attackers to justice, rebuild the church, dismiss the district’s governor, and establish a law that insures equal religious protections for Muslims and Copts. Within a day the protest had grown to some 10,000 people, including Muslims who had come out in solidarity. Colored blankets and plywood covered the pavement, and Christian crosses were on display everywhere, as was the symbol of an Egypt for all: the cross within a crescent. “We don’t feel safe in our own country,” one protester told me. He and others I spoke to said they would not go home until their demands were met. “We want to be treated as equals,” Tamer Wagdy, a 25-year-old Copt who decided to act as my guardian, told me. “This is our revolution, the Coptic one.”

Soldiers from the armed forces, with their tanks, guns, and concrete and barbed-wired barricades, had entirely surrounded the hundred-square meters of street where the protesters had gathered. Unlike during the Tahrir uprising, they were doing little to search people entering the area or prevent thugs from infiltrating the crowd. One afternoon, I watched a man rush in, grab a gold chain with a cross on it from the neck of a young protester, pull it off, then push the protester over the corniche fence and into the river and try to run away. He was swiftly shoved to the ground by two teenage boys with crosses tattooed on their wrists and dragged toward a soldier. I then watched as the soldier held the thief’s arm, twisted it, playfully pulled his ear, and then laughed and let him go, back into the crowds. “It’s because we’re Copts,” Tamer had told me. “They are doing nothing to protect us.”

Despite several attempts by the army to disperse them, the Coptic protesters would not budge. Finally, on March 14—the tenth day of their sit-in—the military council promised to meet their key demands. (The army did later rebuild the church, though it has not brought charges against the March 4 attackers.) A priest subsequently urged them to leave and many went home. But ninety or so protestors remained, and the army began a brutal crackdown against them at 4:30 AM that night, sending in several hundred soldiers with wooden sticks, metal batons, and Taser guns. Tamer called me in a panic when the attack began. I couldn’t get to him until 7 AM, when the curfew was lifted. By then, many of his friends had been badly beaten; many had also been detained. Thirty-two people were hospitalized with injuries, and a twenty-two-year old man was missing.

While Christians have long played a significant part in Egypt’s economic and political life—Mubarak’s long-standing minister of finance was a Copt—they have also been subject to recurring waves of persecution. In the 1970s, President Anwar El Sadat attempted to quell the threat of leftist groups by releasing from jail the radical Islamists (or Al-Gamaa Al-Islamiya), who ultimately assassinated him in 1981, and brutal attacks on both foreigners and Copts became more frequent. In the spate of terrorist attacks they orchestrated in the 1990s, Al-Gamaa radicals killed scores of tourists, but also targeted Coptic churches, monasteries, villages, homes, and shops, particularly in Upper Egypt, leaving several hundred dead.

Mubarak, to his credit, clamped down: his security apparatus threw Al-Gamaa members in jail and the situation for Copts improved. Permits to build churches became somewhat easier to obtain, and broadcasts of church services and programs became more frequent. But it was also widely known that the regime was allowing a degree of room for Salafis and more radical Islamists to keep society somewhat fragmented and provide a counterweight to the far larger Muslim Brotherhood, whose social services and broad support made it a more direct threat to the government. Among the diplomatic cables disclosed by Wikileaks, for example, one from 2009 points to the “striking increase” in Salafism in recent years, and reports: “One of the most potent factors in facilitating the spread of Salafism has been the [Government of Egypt’s] largely passive approach to it… the GOE is happy to allow the unfettered spread of Salafi ideology, viewing it as drawing popular support away from the MB [Muslim Brotherhood].” The cable further noted: “Salafism is a bridge to extremism.”

Last year, amid growing grievances against the government and animosity towards the president’s son, Gamal Mubarak—who was being groomed to succeed his father in the 2011 presidential elections—the state security apparatus increasingly resorted to violence. Days before the parliamentary elections in November 2010, clashes broke out in a district near the Pyramids between anti-riot police and Copts, who were protesting a government moratorium on construction of a Christian community center. At least two people were killed, dozens injured, and 133 arrested. The government’s NDP spokesman Ali ElDin Hilal blamed the Copts for inciting the conflict; 156 people faced charges with possible maximum sentences of life in jail.

Then, during the November elections, the Coptic candidates were all but suppressed. The ruling National Democratic Party (NDP) fielded just 10 Copts among its 780 nominees vying for the 508 available seats. Of a total 5,725 candidates running for election, just 81—less than 2 percent—were Christian. It was widely believed that this was another one of the regime’s tactics to silence the opposition and maintain the status quo. (In the end, carefully orchestrated violence, vote rigging and corruption at the hands of the NDP gave it an unprecedented sweeping majority win—the opposition at large was eliminated.)

Weeks later, when a bomb ripped through a church in Alexandria, killing 23 and injuring 81, people were outraged by the regime’s feeble reaction and its changing story about the suspected perpetrators. The rumor fast spread that the Minster of Interior, Habib El Adly—a close Mubarak ally who is now in jail—had planned the attack in collusion with Islamists. “He wanted to keep people distracted so that Gamal could be pushed into power,” prominent politicians and retired army generals told me.

Much of this speculation was confirmed when protesters stormed the State Security headquarters on March 5, retrieving classified files and documents from the former regime—some of them directly implicating the interior minister in the Alexandria attack. Other cables and leaked documents unearthed since the uprising point to close collaboration between the State Security, or Amn Al Dawla, and particular Sheikhs, who were given public offices and positions. Among them was Mohamed Hassan, the prominent Sheikh who had been dispatched by the military to calm tensions after the March 4 attack and who, during the revolution, had called the Tahrir Square protesters “sinners.”

Now that the Mubarak regime has fallen and the military has shown clemency toward Islamists, radical Salafis have been further emboldened, sometimes to the point of taking the law into their own hands. In late March, a group of Salafis in the Upper Egyptian governorate of Qena cut off a teacher’s ear after accusing him of renting an apartment to prostitutes. They have also called for monuments and shrines to be destroyed, alcohol to be banned, and all women to cover their hair or risk being beaten and sprayed with acid. When one such threat circulated by SMS last month, many women chose to stay home the next day.

These incidents have led some in the Egyptian media to say that the Salafis have supplanted the Muslim Brotherhood as the fiend that threatens to turn Egypt into an Islamic state. This is hardly plausible—the military has promised that “Egypt will not become Iran,” and the Muslim Brotherhood, which hosted a joint conference with the Salafis last week, has denounced the violence and the radical interpretations of Islam that in part seem to be driving it. It also isn’t clear whether Salafis are principally responsible for the violence: despite perceptions to the contrary, only 23 of the more than 200 people detained for taking part in the Imbaba attack have been identified by the armed forces as Salafis (others who have been identified appear to be mainly thugs, plus some associates of the former regime).

I emailed my friend Stephane Lacroix, a scholar and expert on Wahabism and Egypt’s Salafi movements, asking for his insight on the recent Salafi resurgence. He confirmed the State Security’s support of certain Sheikhs, and said that some of the Egyptian Islamists appear to be backed by wealthy patrons in Saudi Arabia. About the threat to the Coptic community, he said: “Salafis do have a sectarian rhetoric, but at the same time they are capable of pragmatism… The biggest threat, I believe, is from mutasallifin (those influenced by certain hardline Salafi ideas) who are out of everyone’s control. It is those on the fringes of the movement who are causing the recent troubles.”

Although the news of the church attacks and clashes stunned much of the nation, the Coptic community had already anticipated such an attack. “We leave the house in the morning and are not sure we will return at night. Every day we pray for our lives,” one man told me last Friday at a Coptic rally at the Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Cairo, the seat of the Coptic Pope, during which Copts called for equal rights and better protection from the state.

On Sunday, May 8, a few hours after a midday mass had been held at an Imbaba church for those killed in the local clashes, about two thousand Copts marched from the Supreme Court in downtown Cairo to the State TV and Radio Building. The march had already been planned before the Imbaba attacks, but now, in their aftermath, it had taken on new meaning. One of the protesters’ loudest chants accused Field Marshall Tantawi—the top army commander—of failing to hold anyone accountable for the attacks: ‘Field Marshal Tantawi why are you silent? Is it because you are a Salafi too?’

In one of Mubarak’s final speeches, he warned that in his absence, there would be “chaos.” Since his resignation, the military council, led by former Mubarak insider Tantawi, has at times appeared to be pushing things precisely in that direction. The police remain largely passive, and soldiers often just stand by, watching crimes unfold. Meanwhile, the military has released long-held Islamist prisoners and lifted restrictions on approximately 3,000 wanted radical Islamists who had been in exile and blacklisted from entering the country. Among those recently released is Abboud El Zomor, a member of the Al-Gamaa Al-Islamiya who was involved in the assassination of Sadat and is calling for an Islamic State. He said—live on Egyptian State TV—that he had no regrets about his involvement in the killing of Sadat. “If he were alive I would do it again.”

El Zomor, who was kept in jail for almost 30 years despite completing the 15-year sentence he was handed down, is one of the radical Islamists mentioned in a diplomatic cable dated November 2008. The cable (08CAIRO2187) details the counter-radicalization efforts and pressures Egyptian State Security has been applying on the Al-Gamaa [GI], saying that if pressure is lifted, “it is likely that some members of GI would return to violent extremism.” It also cited a government source saying that members of the group who have been released from prison “are prone to re-radicalization, and that left to themselves, it is likely that they would do so.”

In the end, there does not seem to be any single explanation for the church attack and the other recent incidents of violence. What is clear is that a confluence of forces—an army seeking the opportunity to consolidate power, remnants of a regime stirring havoc, a cabinet with little authority of its own, radical Islamists aspiring to an Islamic State, and deep-rooted currents of social intolerance that Egypt has long failed to confront—have created a situation in which the Copts, among other groups, have become particularly vulnerable. As the economy plummets, financial woes may lead to more instability—prices have already risen, and on the streets people are complaining they have no work. Reports indicate that many are already resorting to theft to feed their families.

As I write this, there are several hundred Copts camped outside the State TV and Radio building once again. In their tenth day of protest their encampment—which attracts several thousand in the evening hours as the workday ends and the air cools—looks much like it did back in March. Although the interim Interior Minister has said he will work with an “iron fist,” and the Prime Minister announced measures to prevent religious sloganeering, to give permits to build churches and mosques on an equal basis, and to refer those implicated in previous attacks to military courts, the protesters remain fearful.

A Coptic family is right now mourning the death of their 27-year-old son, who was shot over the weekend of May 15 on his way to work. Two other people were killed last weekend in violence at the hands of armed thugs; 60 others were injured. The army has announced it will extend the emergency law until after a President is elected, and already there is speculation that it may postpone the parliamentary elections, citing security concerns. “Whatever way things go, we’ll be under military rule for at least a few years,” a prominent businessman told me yesterday. As another friend put it, “Egypt today: horror movie, Bollywood production.”

Yasmine El Rashidi’s eyewitness account of the 2011 Egyptian revolution,
The Battle for Egypt
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
Spontaneous and organic?

10 days before the Egypt riots take off, 185th Aviation Regiment of Groton, is mobilized to deploy to the Sinai Peninsula, Egypt to support the Multinational Force and Observers (MFO)
http://www.firetown.com/blog/2011/01/30/january-15-2011-185th-aviation-regiment-of-groton-is-mobilized-and-will-deploy-to-the-sinai-peninsula-egypt-to-support-the-multinational-force-and-observers-mfo/

The 2011 Egyptian protests are a series of street demonstrations, protests, and acts of civil disobedience that began in Egypt on 25 January 2011, a day selected by April 6 Youth Movement organisers[8][9] to coincide with the National Police Day holiday.[10] While localised protests had been common in previous years, the 2011 protests have been the largest demonstrations seen in Egypt since the 1977 Egyptian Bread Riots and “unprecedented” in scope,[11] drawing participants from a variety of socio-economic backgrounds and faiths.[9]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Egyptian_protests

Now look at what was done Jan. 15th:

HARTFORD, Conn., – Maj. Gen. Thaddeus J. Martin, Adjutant General and Commander of the Connecticut National Guard, announces that Detachment 2, Company I, 185th Aviation Regiment of Groton, is mobilized and will deploy to the Sinai Peninsula, Egypt to support the Multinational Force and Observers (MFO). The unit’s mission will be to provide an on demand aviation asset to the MFO commander in support of the mission to supervise the security provisions of the Egypt / Israel Peace Treaty. The unit will also provide the means for the observers to have an aerial view of the area of interest and to conduct personnel and cargo movements between area base camps as well as Cairo and Tel Aviv. This unit operates C-23C Sherpa aircraft and has deployed three separate times in the last seven years in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom. The unit departed Connecticut earlier today for Ft. Benning, GA, for further training and validation. This aviation unit is commanded by Chief Warrant Officer Four James Smith of Ivoryton, Conn.

http://www.gu.ng.mil/sites/CT/Press/Pages/2011-1-15_SherpaUnittoDeploytoSinaiPeninsula.aspx

The Multinational Force and Observers (MFO) is an international peacekeeping force overseeing the terms of the peace treaty between Egypt and Israel.
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
1/29 Docs. expose US behind pro-democracy activists in major soft power war front
http://www.burbankdigest.com/node/333
Posted January 30th, 2011

MAJOR NEW SOFT POWER FRONT IN GLOBAL WAR: STATE, NGOS, SOCIAL MEDIA ORCHESTRATE 'REGIME CHANGE' CHAOS TO SAVE CRITICAL CLIENT REGIMES
NOTICE PRO-DEMOCRACY PROTESTERS NEVER EVEN MENTION U.S. IMPERIALISM WITHOUT WHICH THE MUBARAKS, BEN ALIS, etc WOULDN'T RULE
USAID chief to Congress: Don't play games with national security
http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/01/21/usaid_chief_to_congress_don_t_play_games_with_national_security

1/28/11 Egypt protests: America's secret backing for leaders behind uprising
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/egypt/8289686/Egypt-protests-Americas-secret-backing-for-rebel-leaders-behind-uprising.html
The American government secretly backed leading figures behind the Egyptian uprising who have been planning “regime change” for the past three years
The American Embassy in Cairo helped a young dissident attend a US-sponsored summit for activists in New York, while working to keep his identity secret from Egyptian state police.
On his return to Cairo in December 2008, the activist told US diplomats that an alliance of opposition groups had drawn up a plan to overthrow President Hosni Mubarak and install a democratic government in 2011. He has already been arrested by Egyptian security in connection with the demonstrations -  his identity is being protected by The Daily Telegraph....
In a secret diplomatic dispatch, sent on December 30 2008, Margaret Scobey, the US Ambassador to Cairo, recorded that opposition groups had allegedly drawn up secret plans for “regime change” to take place before elections, scheduled for September this year. The memo, which Ambassador Scobey sent to the US Secretary of State in Washington DC, was marked “confidential” and headed: “April 6 activist on his US visit and regime change in Egypt.” It said the activist claimed “several opposition forces” had “agreed to support an unwritten plan for a transition to a parliamentary democracy, involving a weakened presidency and an empowered prime minister and parliament, before the scheduled 2011 presidential elections”. The embassy’s source said the plan was “so sensitive it cannot be written down”.

The secret document...
S E C R E T SECTION 01 OF 02 CAIRO 002572 SIPDIS FOR NEA/ELA, R, S/P AND H NSC FOR PASCUAL AND KUTCHA-HELBLING E.O. 12958: DECL:
12/30/2028 TAGS: PGOV, PHUM, KDEM, EG
SUBJECT: APRIL 6 ACTIVIST ON HIS U.S. VISIT AND REGIME CHANGE IN EGYPT
REF: A. CAIRO 2462 B. CAIRO 2454 C. CAIRO 2431 Classified By: ECPO A/Mincouns
Catherine Hill-Herndon for reason 1.4 (d ). 1. (C) Summary and comment: On December 23, April 6 activist xxxxxxxxxxxx expressed satisfaction with participation in the December 3-5 \"Alliance of Youth Movements Summit,\" and with  subsequent meetings with USG officials, on Capitol Hill, and with think tanks....
2. (C) xxxxxxxxxxxx expressed satisfaction with the December 3-5 \"Alliance of Youth Movements Summit\" in New York, noting that he was able to meet activists from other countries and outline his movement's goals for democratic change in Egypt..
C) xxxxxxxxxxxx claimed several opposition forces -- including the Wafd, Nasserite, Karama and Tagammu parties, and the Muslim Brotherhood, Kifaya, and Revolutionary Socialist movements -- have agreed to support an unwritten plan for a transition to a parliamentary democracy, involving a weakened presidency and an empowered prime minister and parliament, before the scheduled 2011 presidential elections (ref C). According to xxxxxxxxxxxx, the opposition is interested in receiving support from the army and the police for a transitional government prior to the 2011 elections. xxxxxxxxxxxx asserted that this plan is so sensitive it cannot be written down. (Comment: We have no information to corroborate that these parties and movements have agreed to the unrealistic plan xxxxxxxxxxxx outlined. Per ref C, xxxxxxxxxxxx previously told us that this plan was publicly available on the internet. End comment.)....
 8. (C) Comment: xxxxxxxxxxxx offered no roadmap of concrete steps toward April 6's highly unrealistic goal of replacing the current regime with a parliamentary democracy prior to the 2011 presidential elections. Most opposition parties and independent NGOs work toward achieving tangible, incremental reform within the current political context, even if they may be pessimistic about their chances of success. xxxxxxxxxxxx wholesale rejection of such an approach places him outside this mainstream of opposition politicians and activists.

11/11/2008   US State Department Chooses April 6th Movement To Take Part In Anti-Extremism Conference
http://www.ikhwanweb.com/article.php?id=18771
The US State Department said the April 6th Movement will take part in an international conference in New York on December 3-5. The conference is organized by the US State Department in cooperation with a number of its allies in the private sector under the title: The Alliance of Youth Movements. The US department described the Egyptian movement as the ‘largest’ youth movement in Egypt and said that its support to such movements resulted in disputes with some regimes. Sean McCormack of the US Department of State said: "The conference aims to help youth combat extremism, using modern technology to help various groups come together to achieve that goal through facebook and blogs." ... The conference is held in cooperation with Facebook, Google, MTV, AT&T and Howcast. It covers activities of 360 Media and is participated by movements from Africa, Britain, the Middle East, Iraq, Afghanistan and Cuba.
US Assistant Secretary of State James Glassman said the April 6th, among 17 international organizations on the Internet, would take part in the conference that would be held at Colombia University in New York. He described the movement as Egypt’s largest pro-democracy youth group...Glassman said "We have chosen these organizations specifically because they have a record of nonviolence." In reply to a question that Egypt would not appreciate the role played by the US State of Department to create such alliance between youth movements that may be seen as a threat, Glassman said: "We support movements that defend democracy in the world and this may put us in dispute with some governments."...

Egypt’s April 6 movement gets behind ElBaradei
3/20/10 http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=10163
Among those present were Ahmed Maher, Mohamed Adel and other activists and members of the 6 April Youth Movement part of a larger group supporting ElBaradei’s National Association for Change  currently collecting signatures on a statement that affirms their support for ElBaradei’s changes.

Mubarak Orders Crackdown, With Revolt Sweeping Egypt
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/29/world/middleeast/29unrest.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2

Egyptians protesting US backed regime look at the tear gas canister just fired at them by riot police see MADE IN USA

Obama Cautions Embattled Ally Against Violence
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/29/world/middleeast/29diplo.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2
...Senior Egyptian military commanders cut short a visit to the Pentagon Friday and headed to Cairo as the Egyptian Army was deployed to put down protests in the country’s streets, American military...The chief of staff of Egypt’s armed forces, Lt. Gen. Sami Hafez Enan, [had been] due to meet Monday with Adm. Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and remain with his delegation in Washington through next Wednesday.... Friday evening, Mr. Obama avoided the question of whether Mr. Mubarak needed to go. “Ultimately,” he said, “the future of Egypt will be decided by the Egyptian people.”

Mubarak Names Former Air Force Chief as New Egyptian PM
Omar Suleiman, 74, Mubarak's Intelligence Chief, with a long role in key policy areas, including the Palestinian-Israeli issue vital to Egypt's relationship with the U.S. its key ally and aid donor.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/29/egypt-vice-president-idUSLDE70S0FL20110129

Omar Suleiman: Egypt's new vice president, and next strongman
By Issandr Amrani,
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/08/17/egypts_next_strongman?page=full
Egypt Mubarak picks vice-president for first time:
Omar Suleiman, 74, Mubarak's Intelligence Chief, with a long role in key policy areas, including the Palestinian-Israeli issue vital to Egypt's relationship with the U.S. its key ally and aid donor.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/29/egypt-vice-president-idUSLDE70S0FL20110129

Omar Suleiman: Egypt's new vice president, and next strongman
By Issandr Amrani,
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/08/17/egypts_next_strongman?page=full
...Suleiman appears the only viable alternative to Gamal Mubarak. But who is this once-mysterious power player? And would he really mean a new era for Egypt? Like the elder Mubarak, Suleiman rose to national prominence through the armed forces. The arc of his career followed the arc of Egypt's political history. He attended the Soviet Union's Frunze Military Academy in the 1960s -- as Mubarak did a few years earlier -- and became an infantryman. He then took part in the 1967 and 1973 Arab-Israeli wars, likely as a staff officer. When Cairo switched its strategic alliance from Moscow to Washington, he received training at the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare School and Center at Fort Bragg, N.C., in the 1980s. Suleiman continues to have privileged contacts with U.S. intelligence and military officials, with whom he has now been dealing for at least a quarter-century.
As the head of the Mukhabarat, Suleiman's political and military portfolio is vast. The GIS combines the intelligence-gathering elements of the CIA, the counterterrorism role of the FBI, the protection duties of the Secret Service, and the high-level diplomacy of the State Department.... monitoring Egypt's security apparatus for signs of internal coups. It is an elite institution, with a long reach inside government as well as abroad. It also crosses over the civilian and military worlds: Suleiman is one of a rare group of Egyptian officials who hold both a military rank (lieutenant general) and a civilian office (he is a cabinet minister, though he rarely attends meetings)....Most importantly, Suleiman has mediated in the Israel-Palestine conflict.... won the approval of the U.S.
Publicly, Suleiman has started to gain endorsements for the job from Egyptians across the political spectrum as the increasingly public discussion plays out of who will follow Mubarak...Abdel Halim Qandil has urged the military to save the country from a Mubarak dynasty... liberal intellectual Osama Ghazali Harb who turned to the opposition and founded the National Democratic Front party has openly advocated a military takeover followed by a period of "democratic transition." Hisham Kassem, head of the Egyptian Organization for Human Rights, also stated a Suleiman presidency would be vastly preferable to another Mubarak one. On Facebook, Twitter, and blogs, partisans of a Suleiman presidency make the same argument...
Suleiman supporters recognize that to gain the presidency he would most likely have to carry out a coup -- perhaps a soft, constitutional one, but a coup nonetheless. (It is possible, one analyst told me, that "the day Mubarak dies there will be tanks on the street.")... many Egyptians would find such a coup acceptable. The amendments to the Constitution were broadly viewed as illegitimate, and the regime's standing may be at an all-time low.Such a coup would prove more problematic for Egypt's foreign allies... by the rise of a new strongman, particularly after nearly a decade of fanfare around democracy promotion in Egypt. But what would the US do about it if the plotters were pro-American and the strongman broadly supported?

THE AMORPHOUS 'YOUTHS', MAINLY 'MIDDLE CLASS' PROFESSIONALS, LED BY 'DEMOCRACY/HR' ACTIVISTS, EXPLOIT AND MISDIRECT GENUINE WORKING CLASS UPRISINGS  THREATENING TO U.S. DOMINATED REGIMES
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/27/world/middleeast/27opposition.html
...The roots of the uprising that filled Egypt’s streets this week arguably stretch back to before the Tunisian revolt, which many protesters cited as the catalyst. Almost three years ago, on April 6, 2008, the Egyptian government crushed a strike by a group of textile workers in the industrial city of Mahalla, and in response a group of young activists who connected through Facebook and other social networking Web sites formed the April 6th Youth Movement in solidarity with the strikers. Their early efforts to call a general strike were a bust. But over time their leaderless online network and others that sprang up around it — like the networks that helped propel the Tunisian revolution... vaulting the online youth movement to the forefront as the most effective independent political force in Egypt. ... Dr. ElBaradei, with his international prestige, is a difficult critic for Mr. Mubarak’s government to jail, harass or besmirch, as it has many of his predecessors. Dr. ElBaradei eases concerns about Islamists by putting a secular, liberal and familiar face on the opposition... increasingly outspoken in his criticism of the West.

ElBaradei's last stand
ElBaradei's return to Egypt could offer the opportunity for a good alternative to the current leadership.
Alaa Bayoum, http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/01/2011127100660857.html
ElBaradei, Nobel Prize for Peace winner and former IAEA chief, is seen as a decent alternative to the current Egyptian regime that is in place [EPA]

1/28/11  Egypt protests: secret US document discloses support for protesters
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/egypt/8289698/Egypt-protests-secret-US-document-discloses-support-for-protesters.html
Here is the secret document sent from the US Embassy in Cairo to Washington disclosing the extent of American support for the protesters behind the Egypt uprising.

USAID pumped tens of millions of dollars into pro-democracy NGOS
 (United States Agency for International Development)
"President Mubarak is deeply skeptical of the US role in democracy promotion," reads another cable from the US embassy in Cairo October 9, 2007, also posted Friday by the Norwegian daily.
http://www.thenational.ae/news/worldwide/middle-east/us-gave-material-support-to-pro-democracy-groups-in-egypt-wikileaks

u.s. internet freedom
Inside the State Department’s Arab Twitter diplomacy
By Josh Rogin,  January 28, 2011
http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/01/28/inside_the_state_department_s_arab_twitter_diplomacy
The State Department has been working furiously and mostly behind the scenes to cajole and pressure Arab governments to halt clampdowns on communications and social media....Ever since the State Department intervened during protests by the Iranian Green movement in June 2009 [Washington Taps Into a Potent New Force in Diplomacy convincing Twitter to postpone maintenance so opposition protestors could communicate, the U.S. has been ramping up its worldwide effort to set up a network of organizations that could circumvent crackdowns on Internet and cell phone technologies by foreign governments. That effort faced its first two major tests over the last few weeks and the State Department has been working with private companies, non-governmental organizations, and academic institutions to activate this network and put it to use in real time.... http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/world/middleeast/17media.html
Even before the unrest in Tunisia and Egypt, the State Department was working to drastically increase its activities with the internet freedom organizations, many of them using State Department funding provided through a grant program administered by DRL. This month, State announced it would spend another $30 million on this project.
Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor (DRL) Michael Posner said in an interview Friday with The Cable. "I think there will be an increase in contacts on several levels in the coming days and weeks. What we're really talking about here is the ability of people to speak freely, to demonstrate peacefully, to associate and assemble in the public square... human rights that are being restricted,"...

Revolution, Facebook-Style - "22 Jan 2009 ... Can Social Networking Turn Young ... In its official statement, the April 6 movement takes pains to emphasize that it isn't a political party...But the movement has provided a ... what would become weeks of protests, in which thousands of Egyptians of all different political leanings gathered in Egypt's main ..."
www.nytimes.com/2009/01/25/magazine/25bloggers-t.html?pagewanted=all

US soft power 'sourced news' lies
1/26/11 Facebook: Egypt hasn't blocked us
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-20029656-36.html?tag=mncol;mlt_related
"We are aware of reports of disruption to service but have not seen any major changes in traffic from Egypt," Facebook spokesman Andrew Noyes told CNET via e-mail today. "You may want to visit Herdict.org, a project of the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University [SOROS connected] that offers insight into what users around the world are experiencing in terms of Web accessibility." Herdict.org was also recommended by Twitter as a destination for users seeking answers during several hours on Tuesday in which the company itself declined comment...

Twitter  mum on Egypt block
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-20029507-36.html?tag=mncol;mlt_related
But when CNET contacted Twitter to find out whether they could say if Twitter was blocked in Egypt, no statement was provided--just a link to an evidently new Twitter account, @TwitterGlobalPR, which in turn directed those interested in finding out about an alleged block to consult a site called HerdictWeb...HerdictWeb, run by Harvard University's Berkman Center for Internet and Society under the auspices of digital academic Jonathan Zittrain keeps a crowd-sourced log of reports about which sites are inaccessible in which countries. According to HerdictWeb around 11 a.m. PT on today, seven reports of Twitter inaccessibility in Egypt had been logged....

'Democracy activists'  exploits working class struggles for pro-US purposes
April 6 Youth Movement in Egypt |New concept of  Freedom
Official website    http://6april.org/english/

Egypt on alert for national strike
Associated Press in Cairo
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/06/egypt-strike-april-6-movement
Egypt ordered its police on alert to foil a nationwide strike planned by pro-democracy activists today. Yesterday's order from the interior ministry came a day after police arrested 28 activists of the April 6 Movement, which called for the protest against government restrictions on political groups...
The April 6 Movement gets its name from the date of a strike by workers at a textile factory last year demanding higher wages. That protest prompted a brutal police crackdown...the activists attempted to channel popular discontent over lack of democracy, corruption and human rights abuses through protests organised by mobile phone messages and the social networking site Facebook...The group says it has online support of 75,000 members. However, their call last year for a nationwide strike on 4 May, President Hosni Mubarak's birthday, went largely unheeded.

Cairo Activists Use Facebook to Rattle Regime
Ahmed Maher using Facebook to try to topple the government of Egypt.
July 23, 2008 http://www.wired.com/techbiz/startups/magazine/16-11/ff_facebookegypt
July 23, 2008. Under the scorching sun on a beach in Alexandria, Egypt, a few dozen political activists snap digital pictures and chatter nervously. Many of them wear matchingwhite T-shirts emblazoned with the image of a fist raised in solidarity and the words "April 6 Youth" splashed across the back. A few of them get to work constructing a giant kite out of bamboo poles and a sheet of plastic painted to look like the Egyptian flag. Most are in their twenties, some younger; one teenage girl wears a teddy bear backpack...Before the group can get the kite aloft, and well before they have a chance to distribute their pro-democracy leaflets... cops shout threats to break up what is, by Western standards, a tiny demonstration....
Ahmed Maher is part of a new generation in the Middle East that, through blogs, YouTube, Flickr, Twitter, and now Facebook, is using virtual reality to combat corrupt and oppressive governments. Their nascent, tech-fired rebellion has triggered a government backlash and captured the world's attention. He speaks softly to fellow activists standing outside an office doorway, but his arrival has an electrifying effect: He's here. Back in March, Maher and a friend launched a Facebook group to promote a protest planned for April 6. It became an Internet phenomenon, quickly attracting more than 70,000 members. The April 6 youth movement...  hoping to draw attention to their cause among poor and working class Egyptians enjoying a summer afternoon lounging beneath rented umbrellas while children splash in the Mediterranean. The plan is to sing songs and fly a kite, with the simple goal of meeting and speaking freely with people... "we want peace and freedom not conflict..."
Egypt's president, Hosni Mubarak, has been in power for nearly three decades and has governed under emergency rule since 1981. The regime is occasionally rebuked by the US and Europe for its abysmal human-rights record. But because Mubarak is considered a valuable US ally on matters concerning Israel and terrorism, Egypt receives nearly $2 billion in US aid every year, second only to Israel....

u.s. can't afford to leave its ME lynchpin hanging
Without Egypt, Israel will be left with no friends in Mideast
http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/without-egypt-israel-will-be-left-with-no-friends-in-mideast-1.339926
Now, with Mubarak struggling over the survival of his government, Israel is left with two strategic allies in the region: Jordan and the Palestinian Authority.

Israel's El AL whisked some 200 of its nationals, including families of diplomats, out of Egypt on an emergency flight to escape the chaos engulfing the Arab country
Israel's ambassador to Egypt, Yitzhak Levanon and diplomats remain in Cairo. http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israel-airlifts-dozens-of-nationals-out-of-egypt-1.339967

REVEALING IMPERIALIST TACTICAL DIFFERENCES OVER HOW BEST IMPLEMENT U.S. GEOSTRATEGIC BIPARTISAN AGENDA
Obama's Risky Path in Egypt
by Leslie H. Gelb
http://www.cfr.org/publication/23904/obamas_risky_path_in_egypt.html
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-01-27/obamas-support-for-egypt-protesters-risks-a-key-ally/2/
In a move charged with great danger, the Obama team is tilting slightly away from Hosni Mubarak, Egyptian strongman and U.S. critical ally, and toward the demonstrators ...
The stakes are sky high. Egypt is the linchpin to peace in the Middle East. So long as Egypt refrains from warring against Israel, other Arab states cannot take military action by themselves. So long as Cairo remains pro-Western, it serves as an anchor for other such friendly governments. It occupies a central economic position in the region and a vital transportation hub through the Suez Canal. Most certainly, most Arab governments friendly to Washington need to make reforms. But to do so at a moment of weakness, to be seen as bending to mobs, however peaceful and moderate they look now, could open up the floodgates—in Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and elsewhere.The overriding point is that no knowledgeable diplomat, no secret agent or Harvard professor can speak with confidence about where turmoil will lead in poor and repressed countries like Egypt.

The Egyptian Unrest: A Special Report
http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/20110129-the-egyptian-unrest-a-special-report
One thing that has become clear in the past several hours isa trend that STRATFOR has been following for some time in Egypt, namely, the military’s growing clout in the political affairs of the state. Former air force chief and outgoing civil aviation minister Ahmed Shafiq, who worked under Mubarak’s command in the air force (the most privileged military branch in Egypt), has been appointed prime minister and tasked with forming the new government. Outgoing Intelligence Chief Omar Suleiman, who has long stood by Mubarak, is now vice president, a spot that has been vacant for the past 30 years. Meanwhile, Defense Minister Field Marshal Mohammed Hussein Tantawi (who oversees the Republican Guard) and Egypt’s chief of staff of the armed forces, Lt. Gen. Sami Annan — who returned to Cairo Jan. 29 after a week of intense discussions with senior U.S. officials — are likely managing the political process behind the scenes. More political shuffles are expected, and the military appears willing for now to give Mubarak the time to arrange his political exit. Until Mubarak finally does leave, the unrest in the streets is unlikely to subside, raising the question of just how much more delay from Mubarak the armed forces will tolerate.
The important thing to remember is that the Egyptian military, since the founding of the modern republic in 1952, has been the guarantor of regime stability. Over the past several decades, the military has allowed former military commanders to form civilian institutions to take the lead in matters of political governance but never has relinquished its rights to the state.
Now that the political structure of the state is crumbling, the army must directly shoulder the responsibility of security and contain the unrest on the streets. This will not be easy, especially given the historical animosity between the military and the police in Egypt. For now, the demonstrators view the military as an ally, and therefore (whether consciously or not) are facilitating a de facto military takeover of the state. But one misfire in the demonstrations, and a bloodbath in the streets could quickly foil the military’s plans and give way to a scenario that groups like the MB quickly could exploit. Here again, we question the military’s tolerance for Mubarak as long as he is the source fueling the demonstrations...
The United States, Israel and others will thus be doing what they can behind the scenes to shape the new order in Cairo, but face limitations in trying to preserve a regional stability that has existed since 1978. The fate of Egypt lies in the ability of the military to not only manage the streets and the politicians, but also itself

U.S.Aid to Egypt
http://carnegieendowment.org/publications/index.cfm?fa=view&id=23282
A question is always raised in conversations with USAID officials: Why don’t Egyptians notice the role of American aid to their country? ...
The aid does not meet or even take into consideration Egyptians’ most pressing needs, focusing instead on programs valued for strict ideological reasons. Egypt’s most critical needs include targeting aid to help create permanent jobs to enable citizens to earn a living with dignity, as well as providing direct assistance to the most impoverished citizens in the fight against poverty. This hardly enhances USAID’s popularity among the Egyptian people or educated elites. ... leads them to question the value of the limited U.S. aid tied to the peace treaty with Israel, used to improve America’s image in the media and cover up the U.S. bias toward Israel at the expense of Arab rights.
Finally, aid given to Egypt provides the United States with political, strategic, and sometimes economic benefits that far exceed the value of what Egypt has received. The conditions tied to U.S. aid ensure that much of the money returns to the United States, whether in the form of the imported American products, work contracts that go to American companies at less competitive prices than Egypt could have obtained had the bidding been open to international companies, or the salaries of USAID experts. Most important of all, this aid consolidated a gross imbalance in trade relations between Egypt and the U.S....The Egyptian trade deficit with the United States is closely related to this assistance, making Egypt one of the few countries with which the United States has a trade surplus, counter to its overall trend of an $820.6 billion foreign trade deficit in 2008. In addition to spreading poverty at an alarming rate, the so-called economic reforms recommended [e.g. imposed as condition for soft power chains called "aid"] by the US and IMF have caused an unprecedented surge in unemployment and increased income inequality over three decades.

Thoughts on Egypt, Unrest and the Birth of a New Political Age
 by Simon Rosenberg  1/29/11, NDN  http://ndn.org/
On MSNBC yesterday I publicly disagreed with former Defense Secretary William Cohen about the need to emphasize stability in the Middle East today. Given the changes underway throughout the world, I don't think "stability" as we understood it is really an option any more.  Change of this magnitude is inherently unstable, threatening to the old order.  The US's goal now should be to help manage the coming changes, the transition of societies across the world, into this new era of the 21st century...
President Obama is particularly well-suited to lead America in this new era of global politics.  And the way he and Secretary Clinton have artfully balanced our competing interests these past few days - of sticking with an old geopolitical ally, while standing up for the universal rights for the people of Egypt and the region is a sign of how America has begun to adapt its foreign policy to these new global dynamics. When I watch the images from Egypt I do not see unrest and instability.  I see the creative birth of a new political age.. I welcome them.  But also realize that with every moment like this, moments of great opportunity and possibility, come dramatic and very real challenges.  Managing these transitions, helping more people fashion better and more pluralistic civil societies, is in many ways the great foreign policy project of the next 10-20...
NDN, a leading think tank and advocacy org. in Washington, D.C. Led by veteran strategist and thought-leader Simon Rosenberg NDN Affiliates: New Policy Institute, New Politics Institute

What Should Obama Say About Egypt?
...protests against the government, likely organized by a group of middle class youth who call themselves the April 6 Movement, gather steam...
In Tunisia it was easy enough for the U.S. government to praise the democratic aspirations and call for the ouster of the government. In Egypt, it's harder. But it's even more important. America's history of supporting repressive dictatorships in the Arab world has caused an awful lot of ill will toward the U.S. among ordinary citizens of those countries. Looking toward a democratic Egypt, the U.S. government should welcome the prospect, and rather than supporting Mubarak to the end, the Obama Administration should reach out to Mohamed el-Baradei, the April 6 Movement, the Muslim Brotherhood, and other civil society leaders, and encourage their leadership in building a democratic Egypt. Democracy in Egypt is not only right, it's seeming inevitable, and the United States ought not be on the wrong side of it. Global Mobile Sam DuPont, http://ndn.org/blog/2011/01/what-should-obama-say-about-egypt

accessible to members only
April 6 Movement conference criticizes NDP, calls for opposition unity
"29 Dec 2010 ... Opposition leaders and rights activists encouraged youths to fight for change, citing the "failure" of the ruling National Democratic Party ..."
www.zawya.com/story.cfm/sidZAWYA20101229063627/April%206%20Movement%20conference%20criticizes%20NDP,%20calls%20for%20opposition%20unity/

The two major humanitarian organizations Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch criticized the Egyptian government for taking violent actions against peaceful protestors.... members of “April 6″ formed in 2008 to protest against the increasing of costs for the standard of living. Recently April 6 formed a friendly relationship with Mohamed ElBaradei’s new political party that’s set to go against the current President Hosni Mubarak in the 2011 Egyptian elections.
http://inewp.com/?tag=april-6-movement

Editorial: The U.S. needs to break with Mubarak now
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/28/AR2011012805399.html
...To question, as Mr. Biden did, whether the protesters' demands are "legitimate" is particularly obtuse. In fact, the leaders of the uprising, including former U.N. nuclear official Mohamed ElBaradei, have set forward a moderate and democratic platform...Their platform could transform Egypt, and the Middle East, for the better. But the precondition for change is Mr. Mubarak's departure...Rather than calling on an intransigent ruler to implement "reforms," the administration should be attempting to prepare for the peaceful implementation of the opposition platform. It should be reaching out to Mr. ElBaradei and other mainstream opposition leaders. And it should be telling the Egyptian army, with no qualification, violent suppression of the uprising will rupture its relationship with the United States....
Leslie H. Gelb, former NYT columnist and senior government official, author of Power Rules: How Common Sense Can Rescue American Foreign Policy is president emeritus of the Council on Foreign Relations.

Egypt protests show George W. Bush was right about freedom in the Arab world
by Elliott Abrams, CFR, Sr. Fellow for Middle East Studies
http://blogs.cfr.org/abrams/2011/01/28/u-s-policy-and-the-crisis-in-egypt/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/28/AR2011012803144_pf.html
The Bush Doctrine, in effect, is a combination of these two things: military preemption on the one side and democracy promotion on the other....

BUSH EXPANDS SOFT POWER "U.S. FREEDOM AGENDA"
Remarks by President George W. Bush at the 20th Anniversary of the National Endowment for Democracy
Our commitment to democracy is also tested in the Middle East, which is my focus today, and must be a focus of American policy for decades to come. In many nations of the Middle East -- countries of great strategic importance -- democracy has not yet taken root. And the questions arise: Are the peoples of the Middle East somehow beyond the reach of liberty?...
Securing democracy in Iraq is the work of many hands. American and coalition forces are sacrificing for the peace of Iraq and for the security of free nations. Aid workers from many countries are facing danger to help the Iraqi people. The National Endowment for Democracy is promoting women's rights, and training Iraqi journalists, and teaching the skills of political participation. Iraqis, themselves -- police and borders guards and local officials -- are joining in the work and they are sharing in the sacrifice. This is a massive and difficult undertaking -- it is worth our effort, it is worth our sacrifice, because we know the stakes. The failure of Iraqi democracy would embolden terrorists around the world, increase dangers to the American people, and extinguish the hopes of millions in the region. Iraqi democracy will succeed -- and that success will send forth the news, from Damascus to Teheran -- that freedom can be the future of every nation.The establishment of a free Iraq at the heart of the Middle East will be a watershed event in the global democratic revolution. Therefore, the United States has adopted a new policy, a forward strategy of freedom in the Middle East....As in Europe, as in Asia, as in every region of the world, the advance of freedom leads to peace...

Over1,500,000 Iraqis Slaughtered by U.S. liberation of Iraq
www.justforeignpolicy.org/iraq/iraqdeaths.html

...June of 2005 Condoleezza Rice goes to Egypt and gives this quite astonishing address..."For 60 years, the United States has supported order at the expense of liberty, and we have gotten neither. Our politics in the Middle East have failed. Now we realize that that was a mistake. We're not going to do that again. We are going to support the forces of democracy in Egypt and elsewhere in the Middle East."... Egypt, a country where the American administration is despised; nevertheless there is a tremendous response to this. People are very, very hopeful the Americans are going to push and Mubarak is going to have to do what Bush wants .... Jim Traub, CFR

Egypt’s Military Seen as Pivotal in Next Step
“Will the people tolerate another 60 years of direct military rule?”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/29/world/middleeast/29forces.html?_r=1&hp
The Egyptian military, the world’s 10th largest, is powerful, popular and largely opaque.The military carried out the 1952 coup...  all four presidents since have been military generals.
Mr. Mubarak, who led the Air Force before... President Anwar el-Sadat appointed him vice president in 1975, worked hard to keep the army out of overt politics and under his control...
The current defense minister, Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi...The tipping point could come, analysts believe, if the military is ordered to fire on demonstrators in any large numbers.   No one thinks a Mubarak loyalist like General Tantawi would challenge Mr. Mubarak....but at some point his top subordinates might consider it. Senior members of the general staff were in Washington when the violence erupted and hurried home...

Israeli Debkafile
27 Jan. Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak sent his defense minister Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi in secret to Washington to ask US backing for his embattled regime against the street protest movement which gained in violence on its second day, Jan. 26.  DEBKAfile's Washington sources report that in secret meetings, Tantawi warned top US officials that without a crackdown on the protesters, the regime was doomed. The Egyptian army is on emergency standby.Tantawi also warned that the radical Muslim Brotherhood, which has stood aside from the opposition protests, was biding its time for the right moment to step in and take over. He asked the Obama administration for an urgent airlift of advanced riot control equipment.
Slogans of "US out" and "Death to the US" have begun to appear on anti-Mubarak placards.

Example of U.S. soft power seduction: descriptive demagogy whitewashes U.S. political-economic-military dominance run by fascist proxies as capitalist 'marginalization' and 'distribution', using faux 'marxist' opposition' cover to back U.S. maneuvers to forestall revolutionary working class anti-imperialist-zionist movements
The 'bin Laden' of marginalisation
The real terror eating away at the Arab world is socio-economic marginalisation.
Larbi Sadiki
http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/opinion/2011/01/201111413424337867.html
...Whose terror? The gurus of so-called 'radicalisation' who have turned Islam into a security issue have fixed the debate, making bin Laden a timeless, single and permanent pathology of all things Muslim.It is no exaggeration to claim that since 9/11 so-called radicalisation has replaced new Orientalism as the prism through which Western security apparatuses view Middle Eastern youth and societies. Guantanamo Bay, profiling, extraordinary renditions, among others, are only the tip of the iceberg.The policing, equipment, funding, expertise and anti-terror philosophy being fed to the likes of Algeria, Libya and Morocco are geared towards fighting the 'bearded, radical salafis' whose prophet is Osama bin Laden. But, the tangible bin Ladens bracing suicide in its entirety have emerged from the ranks of the educated middle classes whose prophet is Adam Smith. Al-Qaeda, literally "the base", may today be the swelling armies of marginals in the Middle East, not the 'salafis'.
It is not the Quran or Sayyid Qutb - who is in absentia charged with perpetrating 9/11 despite being dead since 1966 - Western security experts should worry about. They should perhaps purchase Das Kapital and bond with Karl Marx to get a reality check, a rethink, a dose of sobriety in a post-9/11 world...From Tunisia and Algeria in the Maghreb to Jordan and Egypt in the Arab east, the real terror that eats at self-worth, sabotages community and communal rites of passage, including marriage, is the terror of socio-economic marginalisation....
For Tunisia, Algeria, Jordan and Egypt, the impoverished Arab states, in need of the liquidity of Euro-American and International Misery Fund aid, infitah (open-door policy) was the only blueprint of forward economic management. Within its bosom are bred greed, land grab, corruption, monopoly and the new entrepreneurial classes who exchange loyalty and patronage with the political masters as well as the banknotes and concessions with which both fund flash lifestyles. Thus the map of distribution was gerrymandered at the expense of the have-nots who are placated with insufficient micro credits or ill-managed national development funds. The crumbs - whatever subsidies are allowed by the new economic order built on the pillars of privatisation, the absence of social safety nets and economic protectionism - delay disaffection but never eliminate it. Below the surface the pent-up anger of the marginals simmers...
The absence of a critical mass that produces a tipping-point dynamic means that regimes know how to buy time, co-opt and fund themselves out of trouble when pushed. Genuine democratic bargains do not ensue. The states have not invested in social and political capital. Oppositions and dissidents have not yet learned how to infiltrate governments and build strong political identities and power bases. This is one reason why the protests that produced 'Velvet revolutions' elsewhere seem to be absent in the Arab world....
Larbi Sadiki is a senior lecturer in Middle East Politics at the University of Exeter, and author of Arab Democratisation: Elections without Democracy (Oxford University Press, 2009) and The Search for Arab Democracy: Discourses and Counter-Discourses

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
Unfortunately Webster Tarpley is right.

The protesters have no organisation, plan and leadership. :-\
->>>|:-) THE CITY INDIANS (-:|<<<-

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
Unfortunately Webster Tarpley is right.

The protesters have no organisation, plan and leadership. :-\

They were never supposed to:
Egypt protests: secret US document discloses support for protesters
Here is the secret document sent from the US Embassy in Cairo to Washington disclosing the extent of American support for the protesters behind the Egypt uprising.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/egypt/8289698/Egypt-protests-secret-US-document-discloses-support-for-protesters.html
10:30PM GMT 28 Jan 2011

S E C R E T SECTION 01 OF 02 CAIRO 002572 SIPDIS FOR NEA/ELA, R, S/P AND H NSC FOR PASCUAL AND KUTCHA-HELBLING E.O. 12958: DECL: 12/30/2028 TAGS: PGOV, PHUM, KDEM, EG SUBJECT: APRIL 6 ACTIVIST ON HIS U.S. VISIT AND REGIME CHANGE IN EGYPT REF: A. CAIRO 2462 B. CAIRO 2454 C. CAIRO 2431 Classified By: ECPO A/Mincouns Catherine Hill-Herndon for reason 1.4 (d ).

1. (C) Summary and comment: On December 23, April 6 activist xxxxxxxxxxxx expressed satisfaction with his participation in the December 3-5 \"Alliance of Youth Movements Summit,\" and with his subsequent meetings with USG officials, on Capitol Hill, and with think tanks. He described how State Security (SSIS) detained him at the Cairo airport upon his return and confiscated his notes for his summit presentation calling for democratic change in Egypt, and his schedule for his Congressional meetings. xxxxxxxxxxxx contended that the GOE will never undertake significant reform, and therefore, Egyptians need to replace the current regime with a parliamentary democracy. He alleged that several opposition parties and movements have accepted an unwritten plan for democratic transition by 2011; we are doubtful of this claim.

xxxxxxxxxxxx said that although SSIS recently released two April 6 activists, it also arrested three additional group members. We have pressed the MFA for the release of these April 6 activists. April 6's stated goal of replacing the current regime with a parliamentary democracy prior to the 2011 presidential elections is highly unrealistic, and is not supported by the mainstream opposition. End summary and comment.

---------------------------- Satisfaction with the Summit ----------------------------

2. (C) xxxxxxxxxxxx expressed satisfaction with the December 3-5 \"Alliance of Youth Movements Summit\" in New York, noting that he was able to meet activists from other countries and outline his movement's goals for democratic change in Egypt. He told us that the other activists at the summit were very supportive, and that some even offered to hold public demonstrations in support of Egyptian democracy in their countries, with xxxxxxxxxxxx as an invited guest. xxxxxxxxxxxx said he discussed with the other activists how April 6 members could more effectively evade harassment and surveillance from SSIS with technical upgrades, such as consistently alternating computer \"simcards.\" However, xxxxxxxxxxxx lamented to us that because most April 6 members do not own computers, this tactic would be impossible to implement. xxxxxxxxxxxx was appreciative of the successful efforts by the Department and the summit organizers to protect his identity at the summit, and told us that his name was never mentioned publicly.

------------------- A Cold Welcome Home -------------------

3. (S) xxxxxxxxxxxx told us that SSIS detained and searched him at the Cairo Airport on December 18 upon his return from the U.S. According to xxxxxxxxxxxx, SSIS found and confiscated two documents in his luggage: notes for his presentation at the summit that described April 6's demands for democratic transition in Egypt, and a schedule of his Capitol Hill meetings. xxxxxxxxxxxx described how the SSIS officer told him that State Security is compiling a file on him, and that the officer's superiors instructed him to file a report on xxxxxxxxxxxx most recent activities.

--------------------------------------------- ----------

Washington Meetings and April 6 Ideas for Regime Change

--------------------------------------------- ----------

4. (C) xxxxxxxxxxxx described his Washington appointments as positive, saying that on the Hill he met with xxxxxxxxxxxx, a variety of House staff members, including from the offices of xxxxxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxxxxx), and with two Senate staffers. xxxxxxxxxxxx also noted that he met with several think tank members. xxxxxxxxxxxx said that xxxxxxxxxxxx's office invited him to speak at a late January Congressional hearing on House Resolution 1303 regarding religious and political freedom in Egypt. xxxxxxxxxxxx told us he is interested in attending, but conceded he is unsure whether he will have the funds to make the trip. He indicated to us that he has not been focusing on his work as a \"fixer\" for journalists, due to his preoccupation with his U.S. trip. 5. (C) xxxxxxxxxxxx described how he tried to convince his Washington interlocutors that the USG should pressure the GOE to implement significant reforms by threatening to reveal CAIRO 00002572 002 OF 002 information about GOE officials' alleged \"illegal\" off-shore bank accounts. He hoped that the U.S. and the international community would freeze these bank accounts, like the accounts of Zimbabwean President Mugabe's confidantes. xxxxxxxxxxxx said he wants to convince the USG that Mubarak is worse than Mugabe and that the GOE will never accept democratic reform. xxxxxxxxxxxx asserted that Mubarak derives his legitimacy from U.S. support, and therefore charged the U.S. with \"being responsible\" for Mubarak's \"crimes.\"

He accused NGOs working on political and economic reform of living in a \"fantasy world,\" and not recognizing that Mubarak -- \"the head of the snake\" -- must step aside to enable democracy to take root.

6. (C) xxxxxxxxxxxx claimed that several opposition forces -- including the Wafd, Nasserite, Karama and Tagammu parties, and the Muslim Brotherhood, Kifaya, and Revolutionary Socialist movements -- have agreed to support an unwritten plan for a transition to a parliamentary democracy, involving a weakened presidency and an empowered prime minister and parliament, before the scheduled 2011 presidential elections (ref C). According to xxxxxxxxxxxx, the opposition is interested in receiving support from the army and the police for a transitional government prior to the 2011 elections.

xxxxxxxxxxxx asserted that this plan is so sensitive it cannot be written down. (Comment: We have no information to corroborate that these parties and movements have agreed to the unrealistic plan xxxxxxxxxxxx has outlined. Per ref C, xxxxxxxxxxxx previously told us that this plan was publicly available on the internet. End comment.)

7. (C) xxxxxxxxxxxx said that the GOE has recently been cracking down on the April 6 movement by arresting its members. xxxxxxxxxxxx noted that although SSIS had released xxxxxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxxxxx \"in the past few days,\" it had arrested three other members. (Note: On December 14, we pressed the MFA for the release of xxxxxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxxxxx, and on December 28 we asked the MFA for the GOE to release the additional three activists. End note.) xxxxxxxxxxxx conceded that April 6 has no feasible plans for future activities.

The group would like to call for another strike on April 6, 2009, but realizes this would be \"impossible\" due to SSIS interference, xxxxxxxxxxxx said. He lamented that the GOE has driven the group's leadership underground, and that one of its leaders, xxxxxxxxxxxx, has been in hiding for the past week.

8. (C) Comment: xxxxxxxxxxxx offered no roadmap of concrete steps toward April 6's highly unrealistic goal of replacing the current regime with a parliamentary democracy prior to the 2011 presidential elections. Most opposition parties and independent NGOs work toward achieving tangible, incremental reform within the current political context, even if they may be pessimistic about their chances of success. xxxxxxxxxxxx wholesale rejection of such an approach places him outside this mainstream of opposition politicians and activists.

SCOBEY02008-12-307386PGOV,PHUM,KDEM,EGAPRIL 6 ACTIVIST ON HIS U.S. VISIT AND REGIME CHANGE IN EGYPT

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
2/4/11 Egypt: US Mission Accomplished? part 2
http://www.burbankdigest.com/node/334
Posted February 4th, 2011 by lizburbank

U.S. 'STRATEGIC NONVIOLENCE' FORCES TRIGGERED UPHEAVALS TO ENABLE PREEMPTIVE 'ORDERLY TRANSITIONS' TO SAVE ITS DESPISED REGIMES. BUT THE GAMBLE DEPENDS ON BEING ABLE TO CRUSH THE UNLEASHED GENUINE REVOLUTIONARY ASPIRATIONS AND ACTIONS OF MILLIONS UNDER THE GUISE OF 'REFORM'. OUR FIGHT HAS JUST BEGUN.

WE SUPPORT AND OUR SPIRITS REJOICE WITH FRIENDS & ALLIES IN EVERY BATTLE WAGED, EVERY VICTORY WON, ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, AGAINST OUR COMMON ENEMY. FIGHTING FOR AND SUPPORTING OUR COMMON STRUGGLE, FOR LIBERATION & LIFE - TO THE DEATH FOR MILLIONS - FROM U.S. IMPERIALIST-ZIONISM, DEMANDS LOOKING BENEATH THE SURFACE FOR THE TRUTH TO ACT ON FOR GENUINE REVOLUTIONARY CHANGE: TO DISTINGUISH FRIENDS FROM ENEMIES IN DISGUISE, ORGANIZE OURSELVES AND CONNECT INTERNATIONALLY.
NOT ACTING ON THE TRUTH RESULTS IN BETRAYING REVOLUTIONARY GOALS, WITH INTENTIONAL OR NOT COMPLICITY IN THE ENEMY'S SOPHISTICATED COUNTER-REVOLUTIONARY SOFT POWER "STRATEGIC NON-VIOLENCE" WARFARE. THE 'GWOT' STATE TERRORIST WAR HAS 2 FACES, 2 INTERCONNECTED FRONTS: HARD/MILITARY IMPERIALIST POWER, COMBINED WITH SOFT/DIPLOMATIC/DEMOCRACY/DEVELOPMENT. PLANNED & PREPARED LONG BEFORE EGYPT ERUPTED JAN. 15, BOTH HARD & SOFT POWER FRONTS OPERATED IN TANDEM, PART OF THE BIPARTISAN GEOSTRATEGIC 'NATIONAL SECURITY AGENDA' FOR GLOBAL HEGEMONY. See Part 1 for more on this at
http://www.burbankdigest.com/node/333 ]

HOW IMPERIALIST SOVEREIGNTY WORKS
President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt said he would not seek another term, after President Obama told him he should not run.... message was delivered by Frank G. Wisner, an experienced envoy with deep ties to Egypt ... http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/world/middleeast/02transition.html

"Democracy is inimical to imperial mobilization."
Z. Brzezinski.The Grand Chessboard, 1997

US CONTROLS 'TRANSITION'
As Egyptians Call for Mubarak’s Fall, He Appoints America’s Favorite Torturer as Vice President
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/04/world/middleeast/04diplomacy.html?ref=world

The Torture Career of Egypt’s New Vice President: Omar Suleiman and the Rendition to Torture Program
Stephen Soldz, Op-Ed News, January 29, 201

U.S. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED IF POLICE STATE STAYS SOLID UNDER FAMILIAR FASCISTS
Obama Administration Discussing [SIC] Plan for Mubarak Exit
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/04/world/middleeast/04diplomacy.html?ref=...
President Mubarak has balked at leaving, but talks are continuing with Egyptian officials about a plan in which Vice President Omar Suleiman would begin a process of reform, officials said.
The Obama administration is discussing with Egyptian officials a proposal for President Hosni Mubarak to resign immediately, turning over power to a transitional government
headed by Vice President Omar Suleiman with the support of the Egyptian military. Even though Mr. Mubarak has balked, so far, at leaving now, officials from both governments are continuing talks about a plan in which, Mr. Suleiman, backed by Sami Enan, chief of the Egyptian armed forces, and Field Marshal Mohamed Tantawi, the Defense Minister, would immediately begin a process of constitutional reform. The proposal also calls for the transitional government to invite members from a broad range of opposition groups, including the banned Muslim Brotherhood, to begin work to open up the country's electoral system in an effort to bring about free and fair elections in September, the officials said.
Breaking News Alert The New York Times February 03, 2011 -- 8:01 PM ET http://www.nytimes.com?emc=na

“In brief, the U.S policy goal must be unapologetically twofold: to perpetuate America’s own dominant position for at least a generation and preferably longer still; and to create a geopolitical framework that can absorb the inevitable shocks and strains of social-political change...”
-Zbigniew Brzezinski, The Grand Chessboard: American Primacy and Its Geostrategic Imperatives, 1997

BACKGROUND & FOREGOUND
1/24/11 US National Guard detachment heading to Egypt
Connecticut National Guard Detachment 2, Company I, 185th Aviation Regiment of Groton has mobilized and will deploy to the Sinai Peninsula, Egypt, to support the Multinational Force and Observers.The unit left Connecticut Jan. 15 for Fort Benning, Ga., for further training and validation. The unit operates C-23C Sherpa aircraft and has deployed three times in the last seven years in support of the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.The unit will provide an on-demand aviation asset to the Multinational Force and Observers commander to support its mission of supervising the security provisions of the Egypt/ Israel Peace Treaty. Chief Warrant Officer Four James Smith of Ivoryton commands the aviation unit.http://bit.ly/flVVUi
http://www.theday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article

1/30/11 Secretary of State Clinton Sunday called for a "peaceful, orderly transition to greater democracy" in Egypt that includes the military, the ruling party and pro-democracy protesters....
[Official] U.S. military aid to Egypt was$1.3 billion in 2010...The officer corps has been educated at U.S. military colleges for 30 years. Ties are so close that Lt. Gen. Sami Anan, the army chief of staff, and 25 other officers were in Washington, D.C., last week when the protests began for a meeting of the Military Cooperation Committee, an Egyptian-U.S. body that is chaired by Anan and Assistant U.S. Secretary of Defense Sandy Vershbow. Anan and the other officers left Friday afternoon.
The Egyptian armed forces have about 1,000 American M1A1 Abrams tanks, which the United States allows to be built on Egyptian soil. Egypt permits the U.S. military to stage major operations from its bases, and always has guaranteed Americans passage through the Suez Canal...A major crackdown with U.S. arms almost certainly would alienate the Egyptian public and much of the Arab world. The army is believed to have the power to topple Mubarak but has not done so, which may mean its gestures of solidarity with protesters are meant only to placate the movement as the president engineers a succession plan...The Mubarak regime in the past has called on the army to pacify angry Egyptians, most recently to quell riots over a shortage of bread in 2008... Mubarak named Omar Suleiman his vice president, making the intelligence chief the most likely heir to authority...

Egypt on the brink of a bloodbath
by Thierry Meyssan, http://www.voltairenet.org/article168319.html
...Hosni Mubarak has named Omar Suleiman vice-president, a measure aimed at rendering more difficult his eventual physical ousting by the United States. Mubarak became president because he had been designated vice-president before the United States had president Anwar El Sadat taken out by Ayman al-Zawahiri’s group. Consequently, he has until now always refused to appoint a vice-president for fear of being assassinated in turn. In Omar Suleiman he chose one of his accomplices, who also has Sadat’s blood on his hands. Henceforth, to seize power, it will not be enough to kill the president, the vice-president will have to be eliminated as well. Omar Suleiman being the chief architect of Egypt’s collaboration with Israel, Washington and London will protect him like the apple of their eye. What is more, Suleiman can lean on Tsahal [IDF]...He has already arranged the arrival of Israeli material and snipers, ready to kill the ringleaders among the crowd....Ultimately, the Anglo-American Empire is still anchored to principles laid down in 1945: support democracies that make the "right choice" - of servility - and oppose the nations that make the "wrong choice" - of independence. Consequently, if they deem it necessary, Washington will endorse a bloodbath in Egypt without any qualms, provided that the military who wins the upper hand pledges to maintain the international status quo.

1/31/11 Mubarak's fate likely hinges on military's loyalties
The Egyptian military moved on multiple fronts Sunday to display its strength and consolidate support as factions within the government and on the street vied for control of this strategically vital nation at the heart of the Arab world.
Anti-government protester in Cairo's Tahrir Square hands Egyptian soldier a flower Sunday. Marchers continued to demand the resignation of President Hosni Mubarek.
By Seattle Times news services Compiled from The Washington Post, The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times and McClatchy Newspapers
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2014086717_egypt31.htm Originally published January 30, 2011 10:06 PM | Page modified January 31, 2011 9:45 AM
CAIRO, Egypt — The Egyptian military moved on multiple fronts Sunday to display its strength and consolidate support as factions within the government and on the street vied for control of this strategically vital nation at the heart of the Arab world. With pro-democracy demonstrators demanding the resignation of President Hosni Mubarak for a sixth day, the military sent conflicting signals about where its loyalties lie. Soldiers on the streets curried favor with demonstrators. F-16 fighter jets streaked through the sky, and in images on state-run television, the nation's military brass appeared alongside the embattled president.

a larger, carefully cultivated & propagated mis-'perception' is that U.S. isn't in charge of operation to save the essential proxy Egyptian state which, like U.S. and every state, depends on all levels of military, intelligence, propaganda and police power for survival
1/30/2011 Egyptian Police Redeploying
STRATFOR Global Intelligence http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/20110130-egyptian-police-redeploying

The demonstrators are still largely carrying with them the perception that the military is their gateway to a post-Mubarak Egypt and the CSF is representative of the regime they are trying to topple. It remains to be seen how much longer that perception of the military holds. A curfew in Cairo, Alexandria and Suez has been extended from 3 p.m. to 8 a.m. local time. In the hours ahead, it will become clearer whether the redeployment of the internal security forces will contribute to improving security and the government’s control or whether their presence will simply further stoke the flames.

"The principal beneficiary of America's foreign assistance programs has always been the United States."
US Agency for International Development (USAID)

"The IMF is ready to help in defining the kind of economic policy"The IMF is ready to help in defining the kind of economic policy that could be put in place," IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn said. put in place," IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn said.

The Torture Career of Egypt’s New Vice President: Omar Suleiman and the Rendition to Torture Program
By Stephen Soldz
Suleiman wasn’t just the go-to bureaucrat for when the Americans wanted to arrange a little torture. This “urbane and sophisticated man” apparently enjoyed a little rough stuff himself. http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article27384.htm

Torturers, Jailers, Spies Lead Egypt’s ‘New’ Government
Spencer Ackerman
January 31, 2011- Dissidents demanding the end of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak’s regime had better hope they don’t end up under arrest. The first members of Mubarak’s new cabinet — a face-lift so he can stay in power — are heavily involved in the apparatus of state repression, including a spymaster who worked with the U.S. to torture terrorist suspects. New prime minister Ahmed Shafik is a long-time deputy of Mubarak with a reputation for toughness. (Title of a 2005 profile: "With an Iron Fist.") The new interior minister was the top jailer. And the new vice president is the Middle East’s most powerful intelligence chief. That looks less like the kind of government demanded by the protesters and more like a government designed to crack down on them... http://www.uruknet.de/?p=74491

u.s. confirms pro-democracy support meetings include ElBaradei
Washington, D.C., United States (AHN) – The United States decided to come out in the open with support for the ongoing pro-democracy demonstrations in Egypt....An earlier tweet hinted at support: "The U.S. Embassy in Cairo has been especially busy with an active outreach to political and civil society reps"...
The Department of State spokesman's tweet message disclosed that the American diplomats in Cairo are in touch with Mohammed ElBaradei, de facto leader of the demonstrators. "As part of our public outreach for orderly transition in Egypt, Ambassador [Margaret] Scobey spoke today with Mohammed ElBaradei," said a tweet from P.J. Crowley.
Crowley had earlier confirmed that Washington had asked a top retired American diplomats to travel to Cairo to get an assessment of the ongoing Egyptian situation on the ground. Wisner’s diplomatic career spans four decades and eight American presidents as ambassador to Zambia, Egypt, the Philippines, and India during his extensive career in the State Department.Wisner also served as Under Secretary of Defense for Policy and Under Secretary of State for International Security Affairs.
http://www.uruknet.de/?s1=1&p=74506&s2=02 http://gantdaily.com/2011/02/01/update-u-s-confirms-cairo-meetings-inclu...

Israel offers Egypt services to control popular uprising
31/01/2011 http://www.palestine-info.co.uk/en/default.aspx
CAIRO, (PIC)-- Informed Israeli sources said Israel offered Egyptian intelligence director Omar Suleiman its readiness to help Egypt and carry out operations to quell the people's revolution and demanded him to prevent the alleged arms smuggling into the Gaza Strip. Quds Press quoted the sources as affirming that Israeli premier Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday during a phone call with Suleiman, who was sworn in as vice president a couple of days ago, expressed his fears over the situation in Egypt and offered him intelligence and security services to end the protests. Netanyahu also discussed with Suleiman ways to secure the borders with Israel and urged him not to hesitate to ask for Israel's help if the Egyptian regime felt any danger threatening its existence.Meanwhile,The Sixth of April Movement in Egypt said it plans to have more than a million people on Cairo's streets...Tuesday to force out president Hosni Mubarak from power.

2/2/11 Mubarak Supporters Clash With Anti-Government Protesters in Cairo
http://www.voanews.com/english/news/Pro-Mubarak-Demonstrators-Clash-with-Anti-Government-Protesters-in-Cairo-115114554.html
The clashes began after the army called on anti-government demonstrators to end their protests...Egypt's newly appointed vice president, Omar Suleimanurged all demonstrators to respect the curfew and go home, saying his dialogue with political forces depends on an end to street protests... Soldiers on tanks stood by and watched... a day after Mubarak announced he
would not run for re-election. the army had told anti-government demonstrators they had made their point and called on them to end their protests...

Violence escalates in Cairo square
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/02/2011233432680984.html
Witnesses said the military allowed thousands of pro-Mubarak supporters, armed with sticks and knives, to enter the square on Wednesday. At least five people were killed and many wounded as Mubarak loyalists attack pro-democracy protesters in Tahrir Square on Thursday. Bursts of heavy gunfire aimed at anti-government demonstrators in Cairo's Tahrir Square, left at least five people dead and several more wounded, according to reports from the Egyptian capital on Thursday.Sustained bursts of automatic weapons fire and powerful single shots began at around around 4am local time (2.00GMT) and was ongoing more than an hour. Pro-democracy protest organiser, Mustafa el-Naggar said the gunfire came from at least three locations in the distance... the Egyptian military entered the square with tank squads to try to keep some order, but did not intervene...Mohammed el-Belgaty, a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, told Al Jazeera the "peaceful demonstrations in Tahrir Square have been turned into chaos". "The speech delivered by President Mubarak was very provocative as he used very sentimental words."... asking the people to choose between him or chaos." Ahead of Wednesday's clashes, supporters of the president staged a number of rallies around Cairo, saying Mubarak represented stability amid growing insecurity

...The West’s hypocrisy in the "War on Terror" also included Tunisia and the brutal regime of President Zine El-Abidine Ben Ali ...Of all the [US] allies in torture, Egypt was the most prominent, the final bloody destination for those seized in America’s first forays into "extraordinary rendition" under President Clinton, and the place where, in the "War on Terror," an untold number of men were disappeared. Just a few of these stories are known, but they expose the true horrors of America’s relationship with Egypt.
One prominent victim is Mamdouh Habib, an Australian citizen, seized on a bus in Pakistan, who was rendered to Egypt before being sent to Guantánamo (released January 2005). Providing insight into why Hosni Mubarak’s decision [ed: U.S. decision] to appoint intelligence chief Omar Suleiman as vice president on Saturday is the worst possible move for Egyptians seeking total regime change, author and journalist Richard Neville reported:
Habib was interrogated by the country’s Intelligence Director, General Omar Suleiman … Suleiman took interest in anyone suspected of links with Al-Qaeda. As Habib had visited Afghanistan shortly before 9/11, he was under suspicion... repeatedly zapped with high-voltage electricity, immersed in water up to his nostrils, beaten, his fingers broken and hung from metal hooks …To loosen Habib’s tongue, Suleiman ordered a guard to murder a gruesomely shackled Turkistan prisoner in front of Habib — and he did, with a vicious karate kick....
by Andy Worthington, http://www.uruknet.de/?s1=1&p=74535&s2=03

threatening an Islamist takeover plays well for US/western 'reform'
Mubarak: 'If I Resign Today There Will Be Chaos

"...Political Islam is not targeted by the United States -- what is targeted is resistance under any label. In South America and South East Asia the resistance takes a leftist form (FARC, the Filipino and Nepalese Communist parties), so the U.S. attacks them. In the Arab region, the resistance takes an Islamist form, so the U.S. attacks them... The common factor is resistance to Washington's hegemony and agenda for control, not Islam..."
As'ad al-Azzouni, Jordanian Marxist activist and writer

U.S. ALLIANCE WITH MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD
"The CIA funnel support to the Muslim Brotherhood..."
from Stephen Lendman, http://www.uruknet.de/?s1=1&p=74573&s2=04
...Western intelligence agencies, including CIA, have longstanding ties with MB (ed: the 'moderate' Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood), Britain since the 1940s. In his book "Sleeping with the Devil: How Washington Sold Our Soul for Saudi Crude," former CIA case officer/Middle East specialist Robert Baer, describing Washington's "dirty little secret," said since the 1950s:
"The CIA funnel support to the Muslim Brotherhood because of (its) commendable capacity to overthrow Nasser....The White House looked on the Brothers as a silent ally, a secret weapon against - what else? - communism. The covert action started in the 1950s with the Dulles brothers - Allen at the CIA and John Foster at the State Department. .. America was willing to support radical Islamists as long as "Allah agreed to fight on our side....If Allah (wanted) political assassination(s), that was fine too, as long as no one talked about it in polite company."..."In 1974, the Muslim Brotherhood formally issued a declaration commanding its members to support Sadat's pro-IMF infitah (economic opening). Such an action was true to form for political Islam. Throughout their history, Islamists have always been militantly pro-capitalist, opposing class-struggle politics on principle. Rarely did they rally support for the poor, the disenfranchised, or the downtrodden. In Egypt, especially, the Islamists did not make common cause with aggrieved workers or farmers who failed to benefit from Sadat's economic policies. Instead they opposed unions and leftists besides engaging in strikebreaking. They were supported by wealthy financial and business interests, often secretly, including the Saudis. They also created their own businesses and banks, including the Faisal Islamic Bank of Egypt in 1976, a cornerstone of Islamic banks run by Saudi Prince Mohammed al-Faisal, son of King Faisal.Uthman Ahmed Uthman, a wealthy industrialist called "the Egyptian Rockefeller" actively bankrolled the MB in the 1970s. The "marriage between (its) ideology and the power of Islamic banking catapulted right-wing Islamism to worldwide power." For nearly 90 years, Washington, Britain and other Western governments supported Islamists strategically against nationalist or democratic movements. The 1920s relationship continues today.
Though Egypt's Constitution prohibits religious political parties, MB members won small numbers of legislative seats as independents, representing the largest opposition block. On February 1, Haaretz News Agencies headlined, "Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood eyes unity gov't without Mubarak," saying: It's "in talks with other anti-government figures to form a national unity party government," including Mohammed ElBaradei. On June 4, 2009, Haaretz writers Zvi Bar'el and Avi Issaccharoff headlined, "Obama met Muslim Brotherhood members in US," saying: Egypt's daily newspaper Almasry Alyoum said he [Obama] met US and European-based members. "According to the report," they requested no publicity, "express(ing) support for democracy and the war on terror." They also backed "all agreements Egypt has signed with foreign countries."
Referring to Obama's upcoming Cairo speech at the time, Haaretz said "a highly unusual audience" would be present, including "Israel's ambassador to Egypt, Shalom Cohen....seated not far from Iran's representative and the 11 members of the Egyptian Parliament who belong to the Muslim Brotherhood." In fact, "(T)he White House constructed the guest list together with the director-general of Mubarak's office, and (he) personally authorized the result."

U.S. reexamining relationship with Muslim Brotherhood opposition group
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/02/AR2011020206283_2.html
Monday, in what analysts said was a clear reference to the Brotherhood, the White House said a new government in Egypt should "include a whole host of important non-secular actors."...a change from previous days, when Secretary of State Clinton and other officials expressed concern the uprising in Egypt could shift power to an Islamist government like the one in Iran...
Officially, the U.S. government has shunned the Muslim Brotherhood because of doubts about its stated commitment to non-violence and democratic principles. For years, however, U.S. officials have engaged in back-channel talks with Egyptian members of the movement in recognition of its substantial popular support.The unofficial contacts have taken place sporadically since the 1990s but became more frequent after members of the Brotherhood were elected to the Egyptian Parliament in 2005. Afterward, U.S. diplomats and lawmakers held several meetings with Brotherhood leaders, including at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo. U.S. officials justified the meetings by saying they were merely speaking with duly-elected members of the Egyptian legislature."I think having contacts with the Muslim Brotherhood was not a bad idea," said Robert Malley, an official in the Bill Clinton administration who directs the Middle East and North Africa program for the International Crisis Group. "They are an important constituency in Egypt. They're very likely to play a role in any future arrangements there." "If we are truly going to engage with the 99 percent of Muslims who do not support terrorism or violence, then we've got to engage indigenous groups, including Islamic political parties," said Emile Nakhleh, a former CIA official who directed the agency's political Islam analysis program.Although the Brotherhood is Egypt's best organized opposition group, with an active charitable arm that dispenses social services nationwide, Nakhleh said it would not necessarily win a majority of votes in an open election. "They would be a hefty minority," he said, predicting that it would receive support from about 25 to 30 percent of the Egyptian population....
J. Scott Carpenter, a State Department official in the George W. Bush administration, said the White House overture could backfire by alienating leaders in the Egyptian military, who could remain in control of the country even if Mubarak is forced out. "It was completely unnecessary and counterproductive," he said of the White House statement. "It sends the wrong message to the military."

Obama and Egypt: Some History
by Paul Street
http://dissidentvoice.org/2011/02/obama-and-egypt-some-history/#more-28803
...Insofar as Obama now appears to side with the people in the streets in Cairo and Alexandria, the primary administration motive is clearly imperial-strategic. It arises from the fear that the American - Obama brand will be irrevocably poisoned in Egypt and the Middle East if the U.S. appears to have stayed to the end with a doomed dictator. American foreign policy has never supported democracy overseas for other than contingent and highly qualified reasons. Beneath its claim to represent and advance universal democratic values, Washington has sponsored, protected, and equipped authoritarian and dictatorial regimes favorable to the U.S...When those regimes collapse under the weight of popular rebellion the U.S. never wanted to see, Washington does the best it can to identify itself with and control the opposition

Egypt's Blood is on Obama's Hands
By Mike Whitney, http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article27408.htm
... Imad Ad-Din Ad-Dib, chief spokesman for the Mubarak regime, said today on Al-Arabiyah TV that the Egyptian Army was preparing a statement that would ban all future demonstrations. That means Obama has given Mubarak the green light to crush the revolt while he works on his public relations strategy. We should expect that every act of brutality against unarmed Egyptian civilians will now be accompanied by a stern rebuke from Obama invoking his unwavering commitment to "universal values and human rights." ...

US HijackS Egypt's Revolution
By Malik Sekou Osei
http://blackstarnews.com/news/135/ARTICLE/7099/2011-02-03.html
The poor people of Egypt and the insurgent masses must not permit themselves the slightest illusion: the plans and tactics of the Obama administration that flow from two strategic aims: defending the Egyptian capitalist neo-colonialist state and maintaining Egypt as the key player of American imperialist foreign policy in the Mediterranean, North Africa and throughout the Middle East....The US is heavily invested—politically, economically and military—in the Mubarak regime...the United States fears too hasty scraping of Mubarak will demoralize and emasculate the confidence of other dictators in the dependability and trustworthiness of Washington support. However, in the final analysis, Mubarak’s fate is of a secondary matter. Of exceptionally greater concern to Washington is the survival of the Egyptian military and security services upon which capitalist rule depends...any replacement endorsed and certified by Washington will be a puppet providing a pseudo-democratic illusion for a military regime....
Jon B. Alterman of the Center for Strategic and international Studies [US think tank] in Washington: "As in Tunisia, the protests appear to represent a largely leaderless movement with no clear agenda and no way to seize power." It's this political vacuum the US and its clients want to exploit. The development of revolutionary forces requires a clear political strategy, based on an understanding of the historical background, the international context and the class dynamics of the revolution....http://www.uruknet.de/?s1=1&p=74579&s2=04

SOME OF THE BEST INFO ON SOFT POWER/STRATEGIC NON-VIOLENCE
Why They Hate Our Kind Hearts, Too
By Joan Roelofs, http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/27a/204.html

Washington's New World Order "Democratization" Template: Strategic Non-Violence Strategy
By Jonathan Mowat, Online Journal Contributing Writer, Mar 19, 2005, http://www.onlinejournal.com/artman/publish/printer_308.shtml

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
"MENA: North Africa-Middlle East" War links update
Posted March 27th, 2011 by lizburbank

1/28 Documents Expose US behind 'pro-democracy uprisings' in New War Front http://www.burbankdigest.com/node/333

2/4/11 Egypt: US Mission Accomplished? http://www.burbankdigest.com/node/334

2/11 U.S. Declares Freedom: Egypt's 'New' Military Dictatorship http://www.burbankdigest.com/node/335

2/13 Egypt: Transparent Trappings:Creative Destruction for a ’Greater Middle East'& Beyond http://www.burbankdigest.com/node/336

2/20 Removing Room for Doubt http://www.burbankdigest.com/node/337

2/21 Behind the Offensive Across North Africa and Middle East http://www.burbankdigest.com/node/339

2/28 Libya: US Soft War Preps for Military Moves: African & Arab Surrogates Assist http://www.burbankdigest.com/node/338

3/8 Bomb Libya? Pros & Cons http://www.burbankdigest.com/node/341

3/17 All-Out War Officially Legitimized http://www.burbankdigest.com/node/343

3/19 Why US AFRICOM Commands "odyssey Dawn" War http://www.burbankdigest.com/node/344