Smart Meter SIM Card hack cost woman 6 months in jail and $200,000

Author Topic: Smart Meter SIM Card hack cost woman 6 months in jail and $200,000  (Read 5046 times)

Offline Brocke

• Eleutherophiliac & Drapetomaniac
  • Global Moderator
  • I am not a number, I am a free man!
    • Vimeo page
A Woman Stole A SIM Card And Racked Up $193,187 Worth Of Data Fees

By Casey Chan on May 3, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Kylie Monks, a 33-year-old Tasmanian woman, has been jailed for stealing a SIM card and using the hell out of it. How intense was it? Over a 3-month period, she racked up $193,187.43 worth of data fees. Monks, to her credit, said she only used the SIM card to check Facebook and download a dozen movies.

Thatís insane! The Register says she stole the 3G SIM card from an electric meter and plugged it into her laptop to enjoy free internet. The SIM card was obviously only meant to send bits of data about the meter to the power company so you could imagine their shock when the 3-month bill turned out to be $US200,000. Monks was arrested and sheís going to have to serve 6 months in jail for her theft.

I took a look at Telstraís data rates and if youíre a pay-as-you-go customeróbasically their worst rate availableóitís $US2 per megabyte. That would mean she downloaded 100,000 megabytes or around 97 gigabytes of data in a three-month span. Thatís a lot of Facebooking, let me tell ya.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/05/a-woman-stole-a-sim-card-and-racked-up-193187-worth-of-data-fees/

Basically she used 96.5 Gigabytes of data.

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

Offline ghost hacked

• Watching you watching me!
    • o.h.m.
Re: Smart Meter SIM Card hack cost woman 6 months in jail and $200,000
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 03:04:38 pm »
Don't they have the ability to cut access to that one SIM card? Save themselved the hassle?

Hmmm this card/meter is downloading a lot of info .. might have been stolen, *click* ok access by SIM is denied. Problem solved.

And how do you rip out a SIM card from a meter? What kind of meter? parking meter?

'We play the game with the bravery of being out of range.' - Roger Waters

Offline Brocke

• Eleutherophiliac & Drapetomaniac
  • Global Moderator
  • I am not a number, I am a free man!
    • Vimeo page
Re: Smart Meter SIM Card hack cost woman 6 months in jail and $200,000
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 03:08:47 pm »
Don't they have the ability to cut access to that one SIM card? Save themselved the hassle?

Hmmm this card/meter is downloading a lot of info .. might have been stolen, *click* ok access by SIM is denied. Problem solved.

And how do you rip out a SIM card from a meter? What kind of meter? parking meter?

I think it's one of the new power Smart Meters.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/cash-22-situation-is-the-result-of-bills-and-not-so-smart-meters/story-e6frfhqf-1226035601483

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley