Japan's nuke reactors being hit by Stuxnet as well as HAARP earthquake?

Author Topic: Japan's nuke reactors being hit by Stuxnet as well as HAARP earthquake?  (Read 298525 times)

Offline Valerius

Re: Japanese Nuclear Meltdown Confirmed
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2011, 05:39:49 PM »
From a map somebody posted in another thread, the west coast in the US could be having problems if it progresses much further.

btw, is anybody noticing just how little actual information the tv news is putting out compared to the internet or even mainstream radio? You can sit by the boob tube for hours to get the content you can get from the internet and radio in minutes. Constant testimonials, and repeats of the talking heads. Not news to us, but frustrating.
"No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck."  -Frederick Douglass

Offline Kilika

• Thank you Jesus!
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2011, 05:40:54 PM »
The official word from the Japanese government is that there is no breach of the steel containment and no radiation leaked out. Yet they have tested people randomly at a hospital and found three had radiation poisoning.
"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
1 Timothy 6:10 (KJB)

Offline feeditup

« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2011, 05:41:05 PM »
is 750 RADS really bad or what ?
Facebook is the Barn of the sheep, time to break in, Tare some f**king wool up

Offline menace

« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2011, 05:51:30 PM »
is 750 RADS really bad or what ?
Nausia within a few hours, death with out treatment.

Offline wouldntyouliketoknow

« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2011, 05:54:32 PM »
The official word from the Japanese government is that there is no breach of the steel containment and no radiation leaked out. Yet they have tested people randomly at a hospital and found three had radiation poisoning.

I continue to be appropriately skeptical of the governments' and TEPCO's claims. They're giving conflicting info in almost every statement.

Flooding the reactor with seawater, and now with boric acid too, means that plant is a writeoff. This is the last resort; they're destroying the plant to try to save the area around it. That wouldn't happen if things were improving, as they say they are.

Remember this?
On September 18, 2001, as fires still smoldered at the the trade center, Whitman said the air in Lower Manhattan was "safe to breathe." She continued to reassure New Yorkers in the days and weeks that followed

Offline Valerius

« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
I wish I had a nice cozy bunker.
"No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck."  -Frederick Douglass

Offline Guns Equal Freedom

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2011, 06:17:09 PM »
This is where mainstream and non-mainstream news can be dangerous. Nobody believes anything anymore.
A Peaceful Anarchy would be like Utopia, but a Minarchy is reality.

Offline donnay

• Live Free Or Die Trying!
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2011, 06:28:56 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong but, I had always thought that salt water is a very bad idea to use as a coolant, because salt water heats up rather quickly?  I haven't taken chemistry in a long time, so if anyone can correct me, I'd appreciate it.
"Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace." ~ Rod Serling
"Cops today are nothing but an armed tax collector" ~ Frank Serpico
"To be normal, to drink Coca-Cola and eat Kentucky Fried Chicken is to be in a conspiracy against yourself."
"People that don't want to make waves sit in stagnant waters."

Offline Tomslik

« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2011, 06:36:34 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong but, I had always thought that salt water is a very bad idea to use as a coolant, because salt water heats up rather quickly?  I haven't taken chemistry in a long time, so if anyone can correct me, I'd appreciate it.

Salt actually increases the boiling temperature compared to pure water, so it would not heat up quicker than pure water.

Offline egypt

• Love: A Wish to bestow the fullness of Joyous Life
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2011, 06:40:28 PM »
Salt actually increases the boiling temperature compared to pure water, so it would not heat up quicker than pure water.

Right.  It takes longer to reach boiling, so it gets a bit hotter.  But, boiling temps vary according to elevation.  This is home-cooking -- does the same apply to sea water?

worcesteradam

« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2011, 06:41:06 PM »
Im skeptical that the water caused this.
Maybe the Trilaterals ordered this

Offline wouldntyouliketoknow

« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2011, 06:42:19 PM »
US experts fear 'Chernobyl-like' crisis for Japan

By Ken Maguire
Agence France-Presse

WASHINGTON – US nuclear experts warned Saturday that pumping sea water to cool a quake-hit Japanese nuclear reactor was an "act of desperation" that may foreshadow a Chernobyl-like disaster.

Several experts, in a conference call with reporters, also predicted that regardless of the outcome at the Fukushima No. 1 atomic plant crisis, the accident will seriously damage the nuclear power renaissance.

"The situation has become desperate enough that they apparently don't have the capability to deliver fresh water or plain water to cool the reactor and stabilize it, and now, in an act of desperation, are having to resort to diverting and using sea water," said Robert Alvarez, who works on nuclear disarmament at the Institute for Policy Studies.

"I would describe this measure as a 'Hail Mary' pass," added Alvarez, using American football slang for a final effort to win the game as time expires.

An 8.9 magnitude earthquake that struck Japan on Friday set off the emergency at the plant, which was then hit by an explosion Saturday that prompted an evacuation of the surrounding area.

Workers doused the stricken reactor with sea water to try to avert catastrophe, after the quake knocked out power to the cooling system.

What occurred at the plant was a "station blackout," which is the loss of offsite air-conditioning power combined with the failure of onsite power, in this case diesel generators.

"It is considered to be extremely unlikely but the station blackout has been one of the great concerns for decades," said Ken Bergeron, a physicist who has worked on nuclear reactor accident simulation.
"We're in uncharted territory," he said.

more here:
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/world/view/20110313-325126/US-experts-fear-Chernobyl-like-crisis-for-Japan

Offline Monkeypox

• He Loved Big Brother
    • Monkeypox
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2011, 06:54:49 PM »
One thing is for certain:  there will never, EVER, be another fission nuclear power-plant built in the USA after this.  They'd better start working on getting fusion technology to work.
War Is Peace - Freedom Is Slavery - Ignorance Is Strength

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."

—Thomas Jefferson

Offline ghost hacked

• Watching you watching me!
    • o.h.m.
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2011, 07:02:57 PM »
How plausible would it for 750 rads reach the west coast of north america?  Is it realistic at all? How many did Chernobyl kill/make sick?
'We play the game with the bravery of being out of range.' - Roger Waters

Offline Mr Grinch

« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2011, 07:18:01 PM »
How plausible would it for 750 rads reach the west coast of north america?  Is it realistic at all? How many did Chernobyl kill/make sick?

Not too I would think....

Read up on this it gets into quite a few details relating to thyroid protection ala nuclear release/bombs...... the best part is.... Over 40? NO SOUP FOR YOU!  :D :D >:( >:(

Probably good to have some around though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_iodide#Thyroid_protection_due_nuclear_accidents_and_emergencies

Age    KI in mg
Over 40 years old    not recommended
Over 12 years old    130
3 – 12 years old    65
1 – 36 months old    32
< 1 month old    16

See fission products and the external links for more details.
[edit] Historical use and analysis

Following the Chernobyl nuclear reactor disaster in April, 1986, a saturated solution of potassium iodide (SSKI) was administered to 10.5 million children and 7 million adults in Poland[22] as a prophylactic measure against accumulation of radioactive iodine-131 in the thyroid gland. People in the areas immediately surrounding Chernobyl itself, however, were not given the supplement.[23]

Potassium iodide’s (KI) value as a radiation protective (thyroid blocking) agent was demonstrated at the time of the Chernobyl nuclear accident when Soviet authorities distributed it in a 30 km zone around the plant. The purpose was to protect residents from radioactive iodine, a highly carcinogenic material found in nuclear reactors which had been released by the damaged reactor. Only a limited amount of KI was available, but those who received it were protected. Later, the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) reported, “thousands of measurements of I-131 (radioactive iodine) activity...suggest that the observed levels were lower than would have been expected had this prophylactic measure not been taken. The use of KI...was credited with permissible iodine content in 97% of the evacuees tested.”[24]

Poland, 300 miles from Chernobyl, also distributed KI to protect its population. Approximately 18 million doses were distributed, with follow-up studies showing no known thyroid cancer among KI recipients.[25] With the passage of time, people living in irradiated areas where KI was not available have developed thyroid cancer at epidemic levels, which is why the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reported “The data clearly demonstrate the risks of thyroid radiation...KI can be used [to] provide safe and effective protection against thyroid cancer caused by irradiation.[26]

Chernobyl also demonstrated that the need to protect the thyroid from radiation was greater than expected. Within ten years of the accident, it became clear that thyroid damage caused by released radioactive iodine was virtually the only adverse health effect that could be measured. As reported by the NRC, studies after the accident showed that “As of 1996, except for thyroid cancer, there has been no confirmed increase in the rates of other cancers, including leukemia, among the...public, that have been attributed to releases from the accident.”[27]

But equally important to the question of KI is the fact that radiation releases are not “local” events. Researchers at the World Health Organization accurately located and counted the cancer victims from Chernobyl and were startled to find that “the increase in incidence [of thyroid cancer] has been documented up to 500 km from the accident site...significant doses from radioactive iodine can occur hundreds of kilometers from the site, beyond emergency planning zones."[28] Consequently, far more people than anticipated were affected by the radiation, which caused the United Nations to report in 2002 that “The number of people with thyroid cancer...has exceeded expectations. Over 11,000 cases have already been reported.”[29]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_iodide#Thyroid_protection_due_nuclear_accidents_and_emergencies
The History Of Political Correctness or: Why have things gotten so crazy?

Common sense is not so common.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Voltaire

Offline jofortruth

• The Great Deception
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2011, 07:33:43 PM »
How plausible would it for 750 rads reach the west coast of north america?  Is it realistic at all? How many did Chernobyl kill/make sick?

Check this out!

Chernobyl disaster (Ukraine 1986) part 1 of 10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luSpdSyT1ys&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Don't believe me. Look it up yourself!

Offline chris jones

« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2011, 07:42:59 PM »

Just heard,cable news,, 160 people have been exposed to radiation. 

Offline One Revelator

« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2011, 07:48:27 PM »
So do you think this is a legit map and what in the hell are we going to do about protecting are selves

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/438/fallout.jpg

Web consensus indicates the map is a hoax. Confirmed photoshopped w/different logos. Possibly tied to 4chan.
The number one cause of all human poverty, misery, and death is not global warming. It’s GLOBAL LYING.

worcesteradam

« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2011, 07:56:43 PM »
i doubt the radiation will be dangerous to Americans

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2011, 08:36:24 PM »
I bet it is not 1/100th the radiation from DU munitions in Iraq.

I wonder why Reuters, AFP, AP, and CNN are not comparing the two.

Hundreds of tons of DU munitions have been deployed all over Iraq:

http://www.truth-out.org/article/depleted-uranium-horror-america

Also...if US/UK did use underground nukes for this overtly obvious false flag...what a great cover story for why there is gamma radiation all over the place.

According to all of the pre-2 days ago studies...the nuke plants have a much less chance of being compromised from an earthquake than from Stuxnet, SDI, sabotage, etc.

Exactly what happened to the BP rig in the gulf anyway? Was it sabotage? Was it Stuxnet?

Is anyone investigating the likelihood that this was done by similar psychos who wish to demolish the nuclear energy industry?
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline Tomslik

« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2011, 08:38:36 PM »
Right.  It takes longer to reach boiling, so it gets a bit hotter.  But, boiling temps vary according to elevation.  This is home-cooking -- does the same apply to sea water?

The basic rule of thumb is any impurity in water contributes to an overall higher specific heat when compared with the specific heat of pure water, so yes it does apply to sea water.

Offline Valerius

« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2011, 08:49:05 PM »
Sixth reacter in danger... link on the drudge front page in red.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2011, 09:07:22 PM »
 Which nations plan to build the most nuclear plants next decade?
http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-370385.html
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2011, 09:09:16 PM »
http://www.siemens.com/about/en/worldwide/japan_1154631.htm

Japan
Siemens has been active in Japan for more than 120 years. The company provides innovative products, solutions and services through a nationwide network of sales and service locations. The Healthcare Sector in Japan is extremely well-positioned in imaging and in-vitro diagnostics solutions as well as with hearing aids.

Key Figures
In fiscal 2010 (October 1, 2009 – September 30, 2010), sales to customers in Japan amounted to EUR 1.4 billion. New orders totaled almost EUR 1.5 billion. Siemens currently has around 2,500 employees in Japan.

History
Siemens’ contact with Japan dates back to 1861. That year an official delegation from Prussia visited Japan and presented the Edo Government with a pointer telegraph invented by company founder Werner von Siemens. Siemens’ first office in Japan was opened in Tokyo in 1887.
Key Project

In fiscal 2010, we launched our top-line computed tomography (CT) scanner, Somatom Definition Flash, which was installed at a number of leading medical institutions. In the latest Siemens International CT image contest for Definition users, one of Siemens’ key customers in Japan, Sakakibara Memorial Hospital, won first prize in the Cardiac category.

Offline Monkeypox

• He Loved Big Brother
    • Monkeypox
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2011, 09:10:38 PM »
France gets something like 70-80% of its electrical power from nuclear plants.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."

—Thomas Jefferson

worcesteradam

« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2011, 09:13:53 PM »

Exactly what happened to the BP rig in the gulf anyway? Was it sabotage? Was it Stuxnet?
it was sabotage by Robert Kaluza (BP)

Is anyone investigating the likelihood that this was done by similar psychos who wish to demolish the nuclear energy industry?

Kaku seemed to imply the engineers caused the explosion when trying to depressurise, supposedly accidentally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySPe0rQaPx4

Offline IridiumKEPfactor

« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2011, 09:15:06 PM »

Offline donnay

« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »

Thank you!
"To be normal, to drink Coca-Cola and eat Kentucky Fried Chicken is to be in a conspiracy against yourself."

Offline Monkeypox

• He Loved Big Brother
    • Monkeypox
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2011, 09:48:49 PM »

Poor little kid looks scared out of his mind.

—Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2011, 09:56:41 PM »
it was sabotage by Robert Kaluza (BP)

Kaku seemed to imply the engineers caused the explosion when trying to depressurise, supposedly accidentally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySPe0rQaPx4

for sanity's sake...chernobyl was sabotaged, this is an accepted fact in history. they were warned over and over again, the engineers were not allowed to do their jobs, very similar to the BP rig in the gulf. with stuxnet, anyone can do anything without the engineers even knowing.

it would be interesting to track the events after stuxnet became known till today concerning these reactors. did they take precautions? what were they?

Offline decemberfellow

« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2011, 10:24:30 PM »
http://www.calcuttanews.net/story/754743/ht/Major-Japanese-industries-close-to-assess-damage

Many industries vital to the economy of Japan were left limping through Saturday following a devastating earthquake and tsunami as factories closed to assess damage throughout Japan’s northern region.

Japan relies on its massive export industries to drive the economy, but many of the companies that drive this industry have halted production to assess the damage from the quake and tsunami.

Sony, Toyota, Nissan and Honda are among the major corporations to have closed factories, while transport of manufactured goods remains difficult due to damage to roads and rail lines.

In addition, many ports on the northeast coast have been severely damaged by the tsunami that struck on Friday, making exports impossible.

Economists who spoke to the BBC warned that the affect on Japan’s national economy could be “profound”, but would likely be less severe than the 1995 Kobe earthquake, which had its epicentre much closer to major economic centres.

If a full meltdown does occur at the Fukushima nuclear plant, which has experienced major malfunctions since the earthquake, then the economic affects may be much larger as a potentially huge part of the country will become uninhabitable.

It is going to  bring Japanese economy to its knees.  Perhaps ours with it.
Rev21:4
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Who am I
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Fk6dt_uHo

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
Re: Japan's nuke reactors being hit by Stuxnet as well as tsunami?
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2011, 10:29:30 PM »
From August 2010:

http://www.japaninc.com/node/4459

August 4, 2010

Saving Japan's Nuclear Reactor Industry

By Robert K. Temple

Japan Inc blogs Japan is a world leader in nuclear reactor technology. That lead, however, is threatened by China, France, Korea and Russia. Moreover, failure in the American State of Texas might be the end for Japanese vendors of commercial nuclear reactors; companies which have been spearheading expansion of Japan’s globe-leading industries. This failure is threatened not by mistakes by the companies themselves, but rather by the lack of political will and foresight of the U.S. Government, a government that has lacked the leadership to pass a carbon tax and not had the vision to appropriate adequate financing for nuclear power. Fortunately, there still is time for the Japanese nuclear industry to act to save itself, and, ironically, to save America as well from its short-sighted ways.

The solution isn’t complicated—but it is not inexpensive either. It will require Japanese vendors to take the lead and secure financing for plant construction and commitments for the power produced. Only by making sure these plants are constructed as planned will Japan secure its future in this developing industry. What’s more, if the world market for carbon-free energy continues to develop as anticipated, an added benefit of a commitment to take the output of these plants may be a nice additional profit in the merchant energy market.

This article will summarize the Who, What and How the Texas projects have failed or are likely to fail and steps that can still be taken to alter the current trajectory. Japanese companies had started down the right path, and they thought they had closed sales on three nuclear projects proposed to be built in Texas. Celebration of these deals may have been premature as one project is dead, another project was ordered by a company that now lacks the balance sheet to complete it, and the last project developer appears unlikely to be able to secure financing. Having recently lost out on nuclear projects in the middle east, Japan’s success in the U.S. market is critical to demonstrating it can deliver nuclear projects in a world market and compete effectively against the Chinese, French, Koreans and Russians.

Who are the players?

In two of the three Texas nuclear projects the Japanese reactor vendor is already on both sides of the transaction, as reactor vendor and project developer.

What happened?

First, the limited capacity of US Department of Energy (DOE) loan guarantees has been a factor in all three of the Texas nuclear projects. The Energy Policy Act of 2005 allocated $18.5 billion in loan guarantees for advanced nuclear projects in the U.S. DOE short-listed four projects of the 17 project applicants for further consideration for loan guarantees. A conditional commitment was extended to the developers of the Vogtle Project for a total of $8.3 billion, tying up about 45% of the available loan guarantee capacity on a single project.

As neither the Victoria County Project nor the Comanche Peak Project made DOE’s loan guarantee short list, those projects have stalled. Given the absence of a liquid market to finance merchant nuclear development, federal loan guarantees or other forms of financing are essential to make these projects move forward. Exelon has changed the Victoria Project from an application for a reactor license to a site permit – a measure that could bank the site for later development. Energy Future Holdings, the main sponsor for the Comanche Peak Project, is thought to be too busy reorganizing its massive debt portfolio to move beyond seeking a license for its project.

Even Nuclear Innovation North America’s (NINA’s) interest in the South Texas Project, which made the loan guarantee short list, is at risk of not getting loan guarantees in part due to the lack of loan guarantee program capacity. The other two qualifying projects on DOE’s short list (VC Summer and Calvert Cliffs) may receive DOE loan guarantee commitments ahead of NINA, which could easily exhaust the remaining loan guarantee program capacity. A variety of bills have been offered proposing to expand the existing loan guarantee program capacity to between $27.5 billion (an additional $9 billion) up to $54 billion (an additional 35.5 billion). Loan guarantee program capacity alone, however, is not NINA’s only problem.

NINA lacks both the balance sheet and source of income to repay a federally guaranteed loan. NINA’s share of the South Texas Project expansion is in the competitive Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) market. NINA is a merchant nuclear development company without material assets beyond its interest in the South Texas Project expansion with which to secure financing for a multi-billion dollar nuclear development project. NRG’s CEO David Crane has made clear that this project is not going forward with parent-company guarantees from NRG. In its earnings call on August 2, 2010, Mr. Crane announced that his company is rolling back spending on the South Texas Project to $1.5 million per month while uncertainties about NINA’s ability to obtain loan guarantees remain.

How did this happen?

First, the current U.S. Presidential administration had priorities other than carbon or nuclear that it focused on. The administration used up its political good will, at least for the first two Congressional terms, on health care and Wall Street. It lacked the ability to get an energy bill through Congress with either a carbon penalty or that expands the loan guarantee program. Second, the economic crisis led to some reduction in electricity demand. This combined with a soft market for natural gas flattened an otherwise solidly increasing price curve for electricity within ERCOT.

Third, in light of the soft electric and natural gas markets and high capital cost for large nuclear projects the easy choice for power purchasers was to wait. Why commit to a long-term contract for electricity from a nuclear plant if electricity prices on the ERCOT market, driven by natural gas, remain soft? Fourth, it is easier in a market with soft electricity prices to justify waiting to build a natural gas plant than to invest in or buy output from a new nuclear plant. A new natural gas-fueled plant can be brought on line from permitting into operation in a little more than three years. In contrast, a capital-intensive nuclear power plant is estimated to take about ten years to bring through permitting and construction. Fifth, the DOE is looking for developers to be able to demonstrate that they can pay the debt service on loans receiving federal guarantees. In a merchant market that means the developer must have solid power purchase agreements with credit-worthy buyers. With a soft electricity and natural gas market in ERCOT and questionable stability of the merchant developers, potential customers are not rushing to make long-term power purchase commitments.

What can be done to change the ending of this story?

Changing what is a likely failure of Texas nuclear development into a nuclear renaissance will require adding to or supplementing the loan guarantee program capacity and having financially capable developers with commitments from bona fide customers. Putting a price on carbon emissions from fossil-fueled plants will certainly make nuclear more attractive in a competitive electricity market.

Expansion of or supplementing the DOE loan guarantee program is critical to any hoped-for resurgence for US nuclear development. An additional $9 billion with substantial assistance from Japan (for the South Texas Project) and France (for the Calvert Cliffs project) might allow the remaining three projects on DOE’s short list to get built. In the absence of additional allocations for loan guarantees, there will not be enough nuclear projects in the US to really prime the pump for new nuclear development. A shortage of US projects will dampen the world nuclear market.

Putting a price on carbon, either through imposition of a carbon tax or carbon cap-and-trade program, will put to rest the uncertainty of the price point for fossil-fueled generation as compared to alternatives. With relatively low natural gas prices even a small price on carbon makes the cost of nuclear and the risks of developing nuclear reasonable when compared to the alternatives. With environmental pressure on other fossil fuels, greater demand will raise the price of natural gas. The historic volatility of and likely increase in demand on natural gas continues to make nuclear a natural hedge against otherwise volatile electricity prices.

Beyond loan guarantees, financially stable projects can be achieved through two means. One alternative is to offer electricity under terms attractive to purchasers and another is to obtain increased equity involvement from financially sound partners or increased support from other resources.

With the first alternative the developer could sell electricity to companies with a balance sheet, including municipal utilities and electric cooperatives, in a fashion that protects each power off-taker’s interests from default by the developer. Municipals and cooperatives have little interest in betting their electric generation futures on the fate of a limited liability developer. Historically some merchants have demonstrated the ability, through bankruptcy and otherwise, to walk away from obligations under power purchase agreements. What municipal or cooperative wants to enter into a long-term power purchase agreement and assume the risk that they could be forced into the spot market for electricity if their developer counter-party walks away from its deal? Public-private partnerships which convey ownership rights in the event of default may have some interest for municipal and cooperative utilities. However, it will require a credible broker and a favorable agreement to interest these parties.

The second alternative is for weak developers to cede project interest at a reasonable cost to companies with enough of a balance sheet to complete the project. To some extent NINA has been trying to do this, with a promised sale of at least 10% of NINA to Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), but the sale to TEPCO will close only if NINA is able to first close on DOE loan guarantees.

Given the development risks and the limited capabilities of NINA, expansion of the South Texas Project probably needs more partners to make that project a reality. What may be required to get these projects launched is additional support from the Japanese to bridge the gap in the US loan guarantee program or shore up the weak developers. While Japanese vendors have taken minority (12%) stakes in two of these projects, it may take a larger commitment.

Another approach to address the financial weakness of the Texas developers is for the Japanese to guarantee a larger portion of the project risk. This could come in the form of guarantees for repayment of DOE-backed loans or additional direct project support from the Japan Bank for International Cooperation. While that would expose the guarantor to additional development and ERCOT market risk, it would assure completion of the projects and demonstrate Japanese confidence in the competitiveness of their products. There may also be a broader role TEPCO could play to help manage these risks.

Conclusion

The projects the Japanese sold in Texas currently appear to have stalled and may be destined for failure. A change in course with developers, loan guarantees and possibly carbon may be necessary to alter this outcome. If there is a penalty on fossil-fueled alternatives, then carbon-free nuclear is a viable alternative source of electricity in the competitive ERCOT market.

There are actions within the control of the vendors that can change the outcome for these projects. Vendors must convince developers to bring in additional credit-worthy partners (or sell projects to companies with the balance sheet to complete them). Developers must obtain commitments for energy from these projects to have any likelihood of success. Credible brokers offering project-level guarantees will be needed to get credit-worthy purchasers to commit to long-term power purchase agreements with developers.

For the sake of their position in the world market, Japanese should be willing to take on a greater share of the risk and potential reward from the Texas nuclear projects. Whether that comes in the form of additional equity interest or guarantees for repayment of project debt, to avoid losing additional share of the world nuclear market the Japanese must demonstrate they can be successful suppliers of nuclear technology outside of Japan.

Offline HAZMAT

« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2011, 10:35:56 PM »
I bet it is not 1/100th the radiation from DU munitions in Iraq.

I wonder why Reuters, AFP, AP, and CNN are not comparing the two.

Hundreds of tons of DU munitions have been deployed all over Iraq:

http://www.truth-out.org/article/depleted-uranium-horror-america

Also...if US/UK did use underground nukes for this overtly obvious false flag...what a great cover story for why there is gamma radiation all over the place.

According to all of the pre-2 days ago studies...the nuke plants have a much less chance of being compromised from an earthquake than from Stuxnet, SDI, sabotage, etc.

What evidence this is a false flag?

Offline Optimus

• Globalist Destroyer
  • Global Moderator
    • GlobalGulag.com
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2011, 10:43:02 PM »
Japanese Nuclear Meltdown Confirmed
http://www.infowars.com/japanese-nuclear-meltdown-confirmed/

Infowars.com
March 12, 2011
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people,
it's an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” – Patrick Henry

>>> Global Gulag Media & Forum <<<

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2011, 10:59:25 PM »
WORKING
PAPER
BEYOND CYBER-DOOM:
Cyberattack Scenarios and the Evidence of History
By Sean Lawson
No. 11-01
January 2011
The ideas presented in this research are the author’s and do not represent official positions of the Mercatus Center at George Mason University.

Beyond Cyber-Doom: Cyberattack Scenarios and the Evidence of History
Sean Lawson, Ph.D.
Department of Communication
University of Utah

“[T]hese war games are about the real effects of a cyberwar . . . about causing chaos in our streets at home due to sudden crashes in our critical infrastructure through manipulation of our banking, transportation, utilities, communications, and other critical infrastructure industries. These are all real scenarios.” (Patterson, 2010b)

“In seeking a prudent policy, the difficulty for decision-makers is to navigate the rocky shoals between hysterical doomsday scenarios and uninformed complacency.” (Cavelty, 2007: 144)

http://mercatus.org/sites/default/files/publication/beyond-cyber-doom-cyber-attack-scenarios-evidence-history_1.pdf

Offline Okinawa

• Sai On 蔡温
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2011, 11:00:13 PM »
Ground Shifts, Water Comes out of Cracks in Japan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZV9a24p6IM
When we give up learning we have no more troubles. Lao Tzu

Sai On http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sai_On

Sai On: Okinawa's Sage Reformer www.amazon.com/Saion-Okinawas-sage-reformer-introduction/dp/B0006CKRU0

Unspeakable Things www.personal.psu.edu/gjs4

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2011, 11:00:24 PM »
What evidence this is a false flag?

What evidence is there that this is not a false flag?

Offline donnay

« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2011, 11:04:23 PM »
I am curious, Hillary Clinton said they were going to rush coolant to Japan.  I am hearing conflicting reports that said we never sent any coolant to them!  Has anyone else heard that?

Offline RonPaulRocks

• Neocons Beware!
    • Calgary 9/11 Truth
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2011, 11:38:10 PM »
It is kind of an sad irony that this reactor is called Fukushima because someone really said a big FUK YOU to them!

I think Hillary better get in her jet and fly some Prestone antifreeze coolant over pronto!

Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.  -- George Orwell

Offline jofortruth

• The Great Deception
* Japan - Battle to stabilise earthquake reactors - 12 March 2011
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2011, 12:00:15 AM »
Don't believe me. Look it up yourself!