**Newly Obtained DHS Documents Reveal that DHS has nothing to do w/terrorism

Author Topic: **Newly Obtained DHS Documents Reveal that DHS has nothing to do w/terrorism  (Read 19431 times)

Offline Optimus

• Globalist Destroyer
  • Global Moderator
    • GlobalGulag.com
Breaking: Newly Obtained Homeland Security Documents Reveal Radical Shift In Internet Policy
https://act.demandprogress.org/sign/dhscomplaint/?rd=1&t=1&referring_akid=undefined

FIGHT BACK: Internet user arrested for linking to other websites.

Brian McCarthy ran a website, channelsurfing.net, that linked to various sites where you could watch online streams of TV shows and sports networks. A couple months ago, the government seized his domain name and on Friday they arrested him and charged him with criminal copyright infringement -- punishable by five years in prison.

We just obtained a copy of the complaint (below) that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) made against him -- and they don't even allege that he made a copy of anything!   Just that he ran what they call a "linking website" which linked to various sites with copyrighted material. Under that sort of thinking, everyone who's sent around a link to a copyrighted YouTube video is a criminal.

This is another shocking overreach by DHS and ICE -- a steamship-era department that's proving once again that it doesn't understand the Internet. We need to push back -- and fast -- before they try to lock up more Americans.

PETITION TO JANET NAPOLITANO, DIRECTOR OF HOMELAND SECURITY, AND JOHN MORTON, DIRECTOR OF IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT:  There's nothing wrong or illegal about posting a link to a website.  This is another shocking overreach by ICE:  You need to drop the charges against Brian McCarthy right away.
Just sign on by filling out the form at right -- we'll deliver the petition to DHS and ICE later this month.

Here's the complaint:

https://act.demandprogress.org/sign/dhscomplaint/?rd=1&t=1&referring_akid=undefined (Scribd Document)
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people,
it's an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” – Patrick Henry

>>> Global Gulag Media & Forum <<<

Offline SUPREMEMASTER

• Commander
    • http://www.activismoverdrive.comze.com
Posting a hyperlink to copyrighted material = copyright infringement?

That's one of the most 2+2=5 things I've ever heard...

I hope to god that Alex Jones actually talks about this information tomorrow...
Automatic User Post Signature:
The message has to be put out in the right way.
Website Still Needs to be updated |ActivismOverDrive.comze.net|

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
then google has over 100,000 trillion violations
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline agentbluescreen

Maybe we should add Google to the "Obama" Internet Dimmer

charrington

Not to mention every social network on the planet.

Offline Kilika

• Thank you Jesus!
they arrested him and charged him with criminal copyright infringement

WHAT? How the heck do they go from civil to criminal? Since when is a civil matter a criminal matter? It's up to the one who suffered damage to sue if need be, but I fail to see where it becomes a criminal offense.
"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
1 Timothy 6:10 (KJB)

Anti_Illuminati

Posting a hyperlink to copyrighted material = copyright infringement?

That's one of the most 2+2=5 things I've ever heard...

I hope to god that Alex Jones actually talks about this information tomorrow...
WHAT? How the heck do they go from civil to criminal? Since when is a civil matter a criminal matter? It's up to the one who suffered damage to sue if need be, but I fail to see where it becomes a criminal offense.
Couple things here:

1)  The puppet in the white house has a bunch of fascist RIAA extortionists in cabinet level positions.

2)  Look at the insanity that Sony has done with their PS3 jailbreak Nazi fascism.

3)  They have de facto declared that anything to do with copyright is criminal--they do not give a sh*t that they are operating illegally, and they will just have their puppet lawmakers illegally change the law to make THEIR anti-constitutional actions "legal".

4)  Copyright, in reality is not the issue with these fascist traitors--these scumbags commit innumerable REAL copyright violations themselves, and get away with it.  They use copyright 100% as an excuse to go after their real goal -- the ability to LOCK DOWN the free flow of information.

These Nazi assholes are so hellbent insane that they had actually proposed on making the f*cking bittorrent PROTOCOL itself illegal.  (That would be like making FTP illegal).

The RIAA waged fraudulent sue-em-all campaigns since 2003 against joe-blow citizens and college students, where they hired outsourced IP packet fascist surveillance companies like BayTSP, and Mediasentry to catch people transferring data that they said was copyrighted.

Take that a step further to the anti-freedom of speech technologies like Einstein 3 and Deep Packet Inspection, and they're not far from full command and control over the Internet.

There are articles out there where they talk about how it would be illegal to even transfer/share NON-COPYRIGHTED with anyone.  That means that if YOU were a musician, or a documentary filmmaker--and you created a work, and expressly stated that you allowed for unlimited, free distribution of your own product--that the New World Order terrorists at DHS/DoJ could still SWAT team your house and throw you in prison (and if you defended yourself from such an anti-constitutional, illegal, treasonous invasion of your own home, with the 2nd amendment--you'd likely get killed in the process).

I had perceived all the way back in at least 2005 that "copyright law" was the catalyst (or a catalyst) for world government.

Because it allowed the New World Order to get their foot in the door and push this insanity as International Law.  The globalist elite used our puppet government to strongarm the f*ck out of other nations and force them to adopt fascist Nazi, anti-freedom DMCA implementations.  Russia was bullied by the U.S. to shut down allofmp3.com --a site that allowed people to purchase uncompressed, full PCM wav file extractions of music albums.  And they bitched and cried because it wasn't "locked down" by useless f*cking "DRM" (which is a joke and has all been defeated anyways).

They also told Russia "unless you bow down before our fascist copyright mandates, we're keeping you out of the World Trade organization".  So puppet President Putin capitulated to this bullsh*t.

This shit is only going to get worse unless literally hundreds of millions tell these bastards to go and completely f*ck themselves and not be intimidated under ANY circumstances.  This is about Cybernetic, full spectrum dominance over zero's and one's, because from these CSIS puppets point of view--the mere fact that you are sitting at a computer means you are literally sitting in a fighter-plane with unlimited numbers of 100 megaton hydrogen bombs at your fingertips that they say anyone can launch by "a few keystrokes".  And that's the rational of why YOU need to be locked the f*ck down from having any digital rights whatsoever.

Offline agentbluescreen

Take that a step further to the anti-freedom of speech technologies like Einstein 3 and Deep Packet Inspection, and they're not far from full command and control over the Internet.

There are articles out there where they talk about how it would be illegal to even transfer/share NON-COPYRIGHTED with anyone.  That means that if YOU were a musician, or a documentary filmmaker--and you created a work, and expressly stated that you allowed for unlimited, free distribution of your own product--that the New World Order terrorists at DHS/DoJ could still SWAT team your house and throw you in prison (and if you defended yourself from such an anti-constitutional, illegal, treasonous invasion of your own home, with the 2nd amendment--you'd likely get killed in the process).

I had perceived all the way back in at least 2005 that "copyright law" was the catalyst (or a catalyst) for world government.

Because it allowed the New World Order to get their foot in the door and push this insanity as International Law.

Yes, but putting Bush, Cheney & Co on trial for the Two Pentagon Attacks on 9/11, The Afghanistan and Iraq Attacks and war criminal torture is strangely nowhere on such "a la carte International Law" menus!

The Rothschild owned Fed/CIA/Pentagon Mafia regard the space between your ears as the battlefield they must most defend themselves against.

Offline morning_joe_sux

How much longer do you guys estimate we have a free and open internet?  Weeks?  Months?  Surely not years with the staggering amount of information I've seen as to what the goons in the guberment are trying to accomplish.
Who is Laurie Klausutis?  Find out who Joe Scarborough murdered!
http://www.flyingsnail.com/Dahbud/firejoescarborough.html

charrington

How much longer do you guys estimate we have a free and open internet?  Weeks?  Months?  Surely not years with the staggering amount of information I've seen as to what the goons in the guberment are trying to accomplish.

It's actually very clever what they are doing -- and have been for a while now. I knew of someone that got arrested under a false accusation and they just didn't have the money to defend themselves. This is the new way to incarcerate people that buck the system.

They make the laws as open ended as possible and tell people don't worry that doesn't apply to you however, they use it as they see fit and yes it does indeed actually include you. Again, the illusion of freedom and protection.

My point is that it's already closed you just don't know it yet.

Offline decepticon

• Bury the past, rob us blind, leave nothing behind.
Re: **Newly Obtained DHS Documents Reveal Radical Shift in Internet Policy
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 11:27:16 AM »
channelsurfing.net was my favorite website, next to Prison Planet Forum :D

wonder if i get 20-life for linking this  8)

Ron Paul 2012...because Liberty is too big to fail.
Beat Bailout Barry!!!!!!!!

Offline morning_joe_sux

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 11:28:07 AM »
It's actually very clever what they are doing -- and have been for a while now. I knew of someone that got arrested under a false accusation and they just didn't have the money to defend themselves. This is the new way to incarcerate people that buck the system.

They make the laws as open ended as possible and tell people don't worry that doesn't apply to you however, they use it as they see fit and yes it does indeed actually include you. Again, the illusion of freedom and protection.

My point is that it's already closed you just don't know it yet.

Disturbing news Char - sorry to hear about your pal that got slammed by the system.  Our judicial system is indeed a joke, when I worked for the courthouse I would see the judges hammering the poor people all the time with ridiculous prison terms, and the rich white girls with their 5th DUI get probation and a slap on the wrist.  Debtor's prisons will probaby be back before we know it.

Indeed, the internet is hanging on by a thread right now.  If they were to just censor everything, who would even complain?  Who would they complain too?  We are living in a crazy time, that's for sure...

charrington

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 11:46:33 AM »
Disturbing news Char - sorry to hear about your pal that got slammed by the system.  Our judicial system is indeed a joke, when I worked for the courthouse I would see the judges hammering the poor people all the time with ridiculous prison terms, and the rich white girls with their 5th DUI get probation and a slap on the wrist.  Debtor's prisons will probaby be back before we know it.

Thanks --

He was actually a business acquaintance and had explained to me the story after he just disappeared one day and was gone for 6 months. He went MIA and many of his clients went looking for him and I ran into one of them - months later he showed back up and told his story about ICE taking his ISP down. The end result was they charged him on rico charges because one of HIS clients had placed a copyrighted ebook on their site which he hosted. He probably could have won the case but didn't have the money to pursue engagement with the law so after $280,000.00 in court costs (which they strung out for months) he took a "lesser plea" to be done with it. It has ruined his life, left his family broke, left him with a criminal record and woke him up to what is really going on in the world today. 

Indeed, the internet is hanging on by a thread right now.  If they were to just censor everything, who would even complain?  Who would they complain too?  We are living in a crazy time, that's for sure...

Under that new view of the law -- the door is opened to arrest anyone on this forum now -- if you've posted a link to another site and unbeknown to you that site has or is doing anything that another unjust law condemns - you are now going to share in the crime.

Offline morning_joe_sux

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 11:49:31 AM »
wow, I'm not surprised.  I know that the Kings fear the educated peasant man most of all.  God forbid we figure out exactly who it is that's f**king us all over and how they are doing it.  Surviving every day is a victory in my opinion. 

Anti_Illuminati

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 01:45:38 PM »
http://www.slyck.com/story2154_Russian_Ukrainian_MP3_Sites_IFPI_Visa_and_MasterCard_Team_up_to_Cut_Revenue

Russian, Ukrainian MP3 Sites - IFPI, Visa and MasterCard Team up to Cut Revenue
March 2, 2011
Thomas Mennecke

AllofMP3.com is a helluva brand name - the name conjures memories of a rich music site with a near unlimited array of various formats and artists to choose from. But that was last decade, and after a long battle with the music industry, the site was shuttered. One of the keys to this victory was cutting off AllofMP3's revenue stream by working with major credit card providers. The IFPI is attempting to replicate this success by once again working with the major credit providers against purported online pirate MP3 sites.

Just because AllofMP3.com died doesn't mean the dream of online pay MP3 sites died with it. Anyone who was around during the last decade knows the model was very successful; AllofMP3 was a resounding success, outstripping iTunes in not only quality, but price and community. And the music industry can't have any of that.

Although there are no direct heirs to AllofMP3.com in terms of popularity or global reach, there's a multiplicity of smaller music sites that operate very similarly. Combined, all of these smaller sites probably have the same power as AllofMP3. So in effect, while the music industry successfully destroyed AllofMP3, they did so only to see numerous new sites take its place (funny how history repeats).

Will the same happen to the new generation of Russian and Ukrainian MP3 sites? The IFPI has once again enlisted the help of major credit card providers, with MasterCard and Visa agreeing to cooperate. It remains questionable whether such a move will totally destroy these sites, but it's no secret that people would rather not go through the hassle of paying online with something other than their credit cards or PayPal. Nevertheless, even if this round works out for the IFPI, let's see if another similar story comes out in another few years.

Notorious: The Worst Copyright Infringers According to the US Trade Representative
March 1, 2011
Thomas Mennecke

The US Trade Representative (USTR) typically publishes its 301 report, which goes through a list of both physical and virtual market places, on a yearly basis. They're still producing the list, but now they're producing a very special list of infringing digital (and some physical) markets. Are some of your favorite sites listed? Sorry, Slyck didn't make the list. But there's plenty of others that have been identified which purportedly "undermine the innovation and creativity that is vital to our global competitiveness."

Not surprisingly, many BitTorrent indexing sites are named as damaging to the world economy. Forget about poor banking practices, overpaid CEOs and the lack of accountability on Wall Street. Let's get to the real issues as identified verbatim by the USTR:

"ThePirateBay: ThePirateBay recently ranked among the top 100 websites in both global and U.S. traffic, and has been the target of a notable criminal prosecution in Sweden.

IsoHunt: Canada-based IsoHunt, which has been subject of civil litigation in both Canada and the U.S., recently ranked among the top 300 websites in global traffic and among the top 600 in U.S. traffic.

Btjunkie: This site is among the largest and most popular aggregators of public and non-public “torrents,” which find and initiate the downloading process for a particular file.

Kickasstorrents: Another popular indexing site, notable for its commercial look and feel.

torrentz.com: This site is a major aggregator of torrents from other BitTorrent sites."

Plenty of BitTorrent trackers also made the honor role as well. Indeed, these sites, with the tremendous data purchase they make to their ISPs, which in turn employs technicians to support the sites, which in turn put money back into the economy, are hurting global recovery. They are:

"Rutracker: Russia-based Rutracker recently ranked among that country’s 15 most visited sites, and among the 300 most visited sites in the world.

Demonoid: Ukraine-hosted Demonoid recently ranked among the top 600 websites in global traffic and the top 300 in U.S. traffic.

Publicbt: This site is one of the most popular BitTorrent trackers with over 30 million users worldwide.

openbittorrent: This site ranks among the most widely used BitTorrent trackers in the world.

zamunda: Bulgarian-based zamunda is currently the target of a noteworthy criminal prosecution."

Of course, over the years file-sharing has moved away from being exclusively P2P oriented. The arrival of http lockers (web based) has become quite popular, and is reflected in the USTR’s report.

“vKontakte: The site, which permits users to provide access to allegedly infringing materials, recently ranked among the five most visited sites in Russia and among the 40 most visited sites in the world.”

For some reason, live sports broadcast via P2P doesn’t get very much attention. But it’s a very popular method to watch international sporting events, or even local events. Why do people broadcast such events? They’re too numerous to mention, but if you’ve been blacked out of a game you really want to watch, this avenue becomes a compelling argument against the anti-copyright stalwarts. And it’s finally caught the attention of the USTR:

“TV Ants: This peer-to-peer service, which reportedly operates from China, exemplifies this problem.”

Interestingly, The Pirate Bay makes these types of lists as often as they’re published. It’s a site that refuses to die, and at this point, may very well be impossible to eradicate.

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 07:27:28 AM »
He was not targeted for providing links to other websites, it was for putting up live streaming of copyrighted material and profiting from it. At least that seems to be the position they are taking. Additionally, they arrested him because the site was registered in the US. Furthermore, the obviously staged arrest is meant to invoke fear into anyone who knows how to spell the word "internet". This has nothing to do with homeland security. If homeland security does not have enough work to do then they need to be defunded! This issue may have some legitimate copyright concerns, but flicking a switch to turn off a website, replacing the site with some surreal DHS logo, and SWAT teaming a house with DHS Nazis is so beyond the scope of a lawful search, seizure, arrest is boggles the mind.

Deer Park man accused of illegaly streaming content on Internet
http://www.ultimatepasadena.com/stories/235733-deer-park-man-accused-of-illegaly-streaming-content-on-internet
by JESSICA FAZ, Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle published March 5, 2011 12:08 am

Had Brian McCarthy run his website, which offered the free streaming of sports and pay-per-view events, from a foreign country, federal authorities might have shut him down and left it at that.  But McCarthy, using the domain name Channelsurfing.net, ran his operation from his home in Deer Park, and agents from Homeland Security and two other federal agencies shut down his operation and hauled him to jail on a charge of copyright infringement. McCarthy, 32, was arrested at his home Thursday by agents with Homeland Security Investigations in Houston. The arrest follows the Feb. 1 seizure of his website's domain name, Channelsurfing.net.

Illegal access alleged
According to the seizure affidavit, McCarthy's website provided illegal access to pirated pro football and basketball games, along with National Hockey League matches and pay-per-view events such as Ultimate Fighting Championships. In December, federal agents began investigating McCarthy's website as part of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement's "In Our Sites" investigation. Domain names seized in this investigation are shut down and replaced with an ICE logo as well as an explanation that the domain now belongs to the U.S. government. Operators of foreign websites seized by the program usually do not face charges, as they are particularly difficult to locate, officials said.

U.S. domain
McCarthy used a U.S. domain name registrar, a U.S.-based e-mail and a U.S.-based money transfer service that federal agents were able to track, said Andre Watson, assistant special agent-in-charge for ICE in Houston. Government agents' efforts to link McCarthy to Channelsurfing.net are outlined in the criminal complaint unsealed Thursday in a New York federal court and the seizure affidavit.  Agents first tracked Channelsurfing.net to Namecheap.com, a web hosting company that offers domain names for purchase. After reviewing records associated with the Namecheap account, investigators discovered the false name "Allen Allen" associated with the account. This name also was linked to a Gmail e-mail address.

Following the trail
Then investigators turned to "Allen's" Internet service provider, Comcast, which turned over information showing that the IP address was linked to David McCarthy in Deer Park, Brian McCarthy's father. The two were linked by public records. Investigators continued the investigation by digging into "Allen's" Gmail and PayPal accounts. PayPal records revealed the account in question belonged to Brian McCarthy, and Gmail records provided the same address in Deer Park.  Investigators then turned to proving McCarthy profited from his website. Agents discovered ad brokers ValueClick and Epic Advertising had paid McCarthy at least $90,000 over the last five years to place their ads on his website.  Finally, federal agents sent a surveillance team to the address in Deer Park to prove McCarthy lived there with his parents. When agents proved he lived at the residence, they obtained a warrant for his arrest. Visitors to his website could merely click on a link to begin downloading or streaming the pirated broadcasts to their own computer. In connection with the investigation, federal agents downloaded portions of live copyrighted telecasts of various sporting events.

Live TV links

The website also contained links to various live television channels, officials said. McCarthy registered the domain name in December 2005. At the time it was seized, Channelsurfing.net was one of the most popular websites streaming illegal content, officials said.
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

charrington

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 12:45:30 PM »
He was not targeted for providing links to other websites, it was for putting up live streaming of copyrighted material and profiting from it. At least that seems to be the position they are taking. Additionally, they arrested him because the site was registered in the US. Furthermore, the obviously staged arrest is meant to invoke fear into anyone who knows how to spell the word "internet". This has nothing to do with homeland security. If homeland security does not have enough work to do then they need to be defunded! This issue may have some legitimate copyright concerns, but flicking a switch to turn off a website, replacing the site with some surreal DHS logo, and SWAT teaming a house with DHS Nazis is so beyond the scope of a lawful search, seizure, arrest is boggles the mind.

Deer Park man accused of illegaly streaming content on Internet
http://www.ultimatepasadena.com/stories/235733-deer-park-man-accused-of-illegaly-streaming-content-on-internet
by JESSICA FAZ, Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle published March 5, 2011 12:08 am

Had Brian McCarthy run his website, which offered the free streaming of sports and pay-per-view events, from a foreign country, federal authorities might have shut him down and left it at that.  But McCarthy, using the domain name Channelsurfing.net, ran his operation from his home in Deer Park, and agents from Homeland Security and two other federal agencies shut down his operation and hauled him to jail on a charge of copyright infringement. McCarthy, 32, was arrested at his home Thursday by agents with Homeland Security Investigations in Houston. The arrest follows the Feb. 1 seizure of his website's domain name, Channelsurfing.net.

Illegal access alleged
According to the seizure affidavit, McCarthy's website provided illegal access to pirated pro football and basketball games, along with National Hockey League matches and pay-per-view events such as Ultimate Fighting Championships. In December, federal agents began investigating McCarthy's website as part of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement's "In Our Sites" investigation. Domain names seized in this investigation are shut down and replaced with an ICE logo as well as an explanation that the domain now belongs to the U.S. government. Operators of foreign websites seized by the program usually do not face charges, as they are particularly difficult to locate, officials said.

U.S. domain
McCarthy used a U.S. domain name registrar, a U.S.-based e-mail and a U.S.-based money transfer service that federal agents were able to track, said Andre Watson, assistant special agent-in-charge for ICE in Houston. Government agents' efforts to link McCarthy to Channelsurfing.net are outlined in the criminal complaint unsealed Thursday in a New York federal court and the seizure affidavit.  Agents first tracked Channelsurfing.net to Namecheap.com, a web hosting company that offers domain names for purchase. After reviewing records associated with the Namecheap account, investigators discovered the false name "Allen Allen" associated with the account. This name also was linked to a Gmail e-mail address.

Following the trail
Then investigators turned to "Allen's" Internet service provider, Comcast, which turned over information showing that the IP address was linked to David McCarthy in Deer Park, Brian McCarthy's father. The two were linked by public records. Investigators continued the investigation by digging into "Allen's" Gmail and PayPal accounts. PayPal records revealed the account in question belonged to Brian McCarthy, and Gmail records provided the same address in Deer Park.  Investigators then turned to proving McCarthy profited from his website. Agents discovered ad brokers ValueClick and Epic Advertising had paid McCarthy at least $90,000 over the last five years to place their ads on his website.  Finally, federal agents sent a surveillance team to the address in Deer Park to prove McCarthy lived there with his parents. When agents proved he lived at the residence, they obtained a warrant for his arrest. Visitors to his website could merely click on a link to begin downloading or streaming the pirated broadcasts to their own computer. In connection with the investigation, federal agents downloaded portions of live copyrighted telecasts of various sporting events.

Live TV links

The website also contained links to various live television channels, officials said. McCarthy registered the domain name in December 2005. At the time it was seized, Channelsurfing.net was one of the most popular websites streaming illegal content, officials said.
Ahh that makes better sense then...

Offline Valerius

EFF has done a lot of good, successful work in this area. Considering supporting them.
"No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck."  -Frederick Douglass

Offline Kilika

• Thank you Jesus!
Spambots! ::)

Anyway, before we were rudely interupted by the spambot, I got a problem with Homeland Security being involved in this too. How do they have any jurisdiction? It's FBI stuff and a basic criminal case that the FBI, FCC and FTC would be involved, and maybe the Post Office, but DHS? Nope, don't see the connection.

That leaves the issue of what the guy was actually doing, which does seem to be a violation of terms of use. THere is a difference between paying for the use of under certain terms and outright buying something, which in the case of music and video, unless stated, you're not buying the full license to the material, just a license that allows use of the material under certain terms. Basically a contract. Part of that contract is the person usually isn't allowed to make the material viewable and make money off of making it available to the public without first getting approval from the copyright holder. I haven't seen where he was compensating the owners of the copyrights out of the funds he took in from offering access to the material.

In December, federal agents began investigating McCarthy's website as part of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement's "In Our Sites" investigation.

This is typical of government-think. Seriously, who came up with the idea that this has anything to do with immigration or customs? That right there is a major jurisdictional flaw that needs fixing, just like with DHS. Neither has any business involved in this case. It SHOULD be a civil case actually initiated by the copyright holders. So the question is who brought this "violation" to the attention of "federal agents"?

but flicking a switch to turn off a website, replacing the site with some surreal DHS logo,

No kidding. This right here is basically convicting the guy before he even appears in court to answer the charges against him. Unfortunately, law enforcement has a well documented history of being allowed to shut down businesses if they deem them illegal somehow and then let the court sort it out. The IRS does it all the time. The problem is that the people taken to court, and had their businesses ripped to shreds, usually have nothing left to open their business back up and then have a ton of legal bills to pay.

To me, this was clearly a goon attack instigated by the entertainment lobby. Another case of corporations dictating what government does through selective enforcement.
"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
1 Timothy 6:10 (KJB)

Offline ghost hacked

• Watching you watching me!
    • o.h.m.
Wait, so if I link MY copywritted music (stuff I created) on MY youtube channel with footage I shot with MY cameras ....  I could be charged?
'We play the game with the bravery of being out of range.' - Roger Waters

Offline chris jones

I understand the implications, but the method behind this is  DOMESTIC-FEAR-CONTROL-INTIMIDATION.

In short the DHS is beating its chest, flexing, (we have arrived sydrome). This is how it is, or you FK peasnats get 5 long FK years in PRISON. POWER, and it only the beggining.
 Bushy's orders were to create a guestapo under the pretence of protection, 911 set the stage, the fact that has to be remembered is DHS was on the table long before 911.
 Just a note from the past, in late 1975 I had returned to Nam, shorly beforethe fall, things were hot. I had met mercs-CIA contractors in TonSunhut, they mentioned they had work staged for the next ten years, it was  progamed,central and south America were mentioned.

Offline alexbones

Wake up people, and check this out:
http://spam.blogspot.com

Excellent read.