Games Industry Colluding With Department Of Defense

Author Topic: Games Industry Colluding With Department Of Defense  (Read 2555 times)

Offline PaiN

Games Industry Colluding With Department Of Defense
« on: December 30, 2007, 08:49:33 PM »
As an avid PC gamer in my spare time, I always thought of JT as a bit overzealous in his attacks on the game industry but it looks like he might have finally got his teeth into something of real consequence.
In a press release sent out yesterday, controversial attorney Jack Thompson claims he has found a correlation between the gaming industry and the US Department of Defense, who, he adds, are using videogames to teach "an entire generation of kids that war is glamorous, cool, desirable, and consequence-free."

The release cites the gaming habits of recent youth-shooting perpetrators (Columbine, Virginia Tech, etc.), as well as "a formal working relationship between the Department of Defense and the game industry at the Institute for Creative Technologies on the campus of the University of Southern California" as evidence for his claims.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/12/jack-thompson-g.html

Offline LIbertAS

• System Failure
Re: Games Industry Colluding With Department Of Defense
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 09:26:14 PM »
By reading and paying attention to statements made in game on the ones I have played, it certainly does make some guys feel as if they can react and kill in a real combat situation. Almost as if the have lost touch with reality. Some do not realize the difference I think. Just because you can react quickly with your eyes and hands means nothing when in real combat. But getting them there is half the battle and some of these military games do a damn fine job, Along with all the Al-Qaeda propaganda on TV. Multiple friends of mine have joined up, no matter what I have told them.

Offline larsonstdoc

Re: Games Industry Colluding With Department Of Defense
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 09:44:55 PM »
Alex has been talking about this for years.  The main reason- to desensitize the youth so killing someone is no big deal.  In WWII, 90% of the soldiers had a hard time pulling the trigger.
I'M A DEPLORABLE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT SUPPORTS PRESIDENT TRUMP.  MAY GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIM SAFE.