Slash Your Salt Intake, Feds Urge Many of Us

Author Topic: Slash Your Salt Intake, Feds Urge Many of Us  (Read 24636 times)

Offline donnay

• Live Free Or Die Trying!
« on: January 31, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »
Recommending Half the U.S. Population Consume Barely More than Half-a-Teaspoon a Day and Cuts for Others, as Well

(AP)  WASHINGTON -- The government is telling half of the U.S. population to drastically cut their daily salt intake.

That's the advice to consumers — and the food industry — as the government issues new dietary guidelines, which are the recommendations behind the popular food pyramid.

For the first time, the Agriculture and Health and Human Services departments, which issue the guidelines every five years, are telling people who are 51 and older, all African-Americans and anyone suffering from hypertension, diabetes or chronic kidney disease to reduce daily sodium intake to little more than half a teaspoon.

That group includes about half of the population and those who are most at risk of having higher blood pressure due to sodium intake. For everyone else, the government continues to recommend about a teaspoon a day — 2,300 milligrams, or about one-third less than the average person usually consumes.

The assault on salt is aimed strongly at the food industry, which is responsible for the majority of sodium most people consume. Most salt intake doesn't come from the shaker on the table; it's hidden in foods such as breads, chicken and pasta.

It has long been known that too much sodium increases the risk of high blood pressure, stroke and other problems. But cutting the salt won't be easy.

The prestigious Institute of Medicine has said it could take years for consumers to get used to the taste of a lower-salt diet. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said the government is trying to be realistic while targeting the highest-risk groups.

"I think it's important for us to do this in a way that doesn't create an immediate backlash," he said. "If we fail to get our arms around the obesity epidemic, especially in our children, we're going to see a significant increase in health care costs over time."

Several large food companies have already introduced initiatives to cut sodium and introduced low-sodium alternatives, but it's unclear if the industry will be able to cut enough to satisfy the new guidelines. The Food and Drug Administration has said it will pressure companies to take voluntary action before it moves to regulate salt intake.

Continued...

I have a real problem when the government consistently runs diversions and disproportionately asserts blame, and this article above does just that, because it isn't salt per se that is hurting people-- it is the enhancers that the Food Industry is using that are hurting all of us!!

From wiki:

Monosodium glutamate, also known as sodium glutamate and MSG, is a sodium salt of glutamic acid, a naturally occurring non-essential amino acid. It is used as a food additive and is commonly marketed as a flavour enhancer. It has the HS code 29224220 and the E number E621.[1] Trade names of monosodium glutamate include Ajinomoto, Vetsin, Accent and Tasting Powder. It was once made predominantly from wheat gluten, but is now made mostly from bacterial fermentation; it is acceptable for coeliacs following a gluten-free diet.[2][3][4][5]

Although traditional East Asian cuisine had often used seaweed extract, which contains high concentrations of glutamic acid, it was not until 1907 that MSG was isolated by Kikunae Ikeda. MSG was subsequently patented by Ajinomoto Corporation of Japan in 1909. In its pure form, it appears as a white crystalline powder that, as a salt, dissociates into sodium cations and glutamate anions while dissolving (glutamate is the anionic form of glutamic acid).

(...)

Monosodium glutamate is one of several forms of glutamic acid found in foods, in large part because glutamic acid, being an amino acid, is pervasive in nature. Glutamic acid and its salts can also be present in a wide variety of other additives, including hydrolyzed vegetable proteins, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, yeast extract, soy extracts, and protein isolate, which must be labeled with these common and usual names. Since 1998, these cannot be included in the term "spices and flavorings". The food additives disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate, which are ribonucleotides, are usually used in synergy with monosodium glutamate-containing ingredients.

Food firms propose replacing MSG, salt with yeast extract that contains free glutamate

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/021518.html#ixzz1Cd2PFSBQ

Mono Sodium Glutamate

(...)

MSG is a sodium salt of Glutamic Acid, an amino acid and is a drug. It acts as an excitatory neurotransmitter. It basically causes the nerve cells to discharge an electrical impulse and that's the basis of its use as a flavor enhancer. Food companies learned that MSG could increase the flavor and aroma and enhance acceptability of commercial food products.

Equally important they learned that it could also uppress undesirable or "off" flavors, bitterness, and sourness and eliminated the "tinny" taste of canned foods. This is the reason food companies in general have no intention of giving up MSG as an additive in their products.

USA national consumption of MSG went from roughly one million pounds in 1950 to 300 times that amount today.

Here's the bottom line: As the dose increases, every single human will react to MSG at some point. At certain doses it becomes toxic enough to cause illness.

Continued...

"Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace." ~ Rod Serling
"Cops today are nothing but an armed tax collector" ~ Frank Serpico
"To be normal, to drink Coca-Cola and eat Kentucky Fried Chicken is to be in a conspiracy against yourself."
"People that don't want to make waves sit in stagnant waters."

Offline lamourlady

• ICHTHYS: Bible Study for Spiritual Growth
Re: Slash Your Salt Intake, Feds Urge Many of Us
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 04:16:07 PM »
This coming from the government seems sort of redundant if they also wish to systematically kill off a large portion of the population.  We could infer that they know most people don't even pay attention, so they then 'look' like they care or there is another reason behind it.  We usually see them trying to dissuade on things we, and they, know very well is healthy for us and even cures for what is ailing the masses, so I always question the motive behind anything they seem to advocate or not.

What do you think, Donnay?  Is this a no brainer in that we know very well the ills of salt intake and is there some good within some government advice after all?  Or is there something about salt which is actually good for us and they wish to deter any further good it can have for us?

I get confused sometimes as to what to heed and what not to, but because I trust you, I value your opinion on the subject. Thanks!  :-\

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 06:16:26 PM »
Exactly. They're false-flagging us with MSG and saying salt is responsible. I see no difference between this and the government staging 9/11 along with al-CIA-duh and then turn around and claim that "Islamofascists in Afghanistan and Iraq did 9/11".

Offline donnay

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 06:27:10 PM »
This coming from the government seems sort of redundant if they also wish to systematically kill off a large portion of the population.  We could infer that they know most people don't even pay attention, so they then 'look' like they care or there is another reason behind it.  We usually see them trying to dissuade on things we, and they, know very well is healthy for us and even cures for what is ailing the masses, so I always question the motive behind anything they seem to advocate or not.

What do you think, Donnay?  Is this a no brainer in that we know very well the ills of salt intake and is there some good within some government advice after all?  Or is there something about salt which is actually good for us and they wish to deter any further good it can have for us?

I get confused sometimes as to what to heed and what not to, but because I trust you, I value your opinion on the subject. Thanks!  :-\

Thank you so much for trusting my research and my opinions, that means a lot to me!

As far as government warnings-- I take anything they warn about with a grain of salt. (pun intended)   ;D

Salt is a necessary nutrient for all muscle and cells to work properly and productively--electrolytes (all different kinds of salts (sodium, magnesium, potassium...) are extremely important for muscles and bodily functions.

Here is a marvelous explanation that I hope will help:

Everything you Ever Wanted to Know about Salt
http://altmedangel.com/salt.htm

Is salt good or bad?

Biologically speaking, salt (sodium) plays a major role in human health. It not only feeds nutritional mineral elements to our cells, it also dissolves, sanitizes and cleanses toxic wastes from our system. It is this latter function that makes salt such a healing substance.  All classic biology textbooks refer to salt as the cleanser of bodily fluids.

Most physiological and biological processes function correctly only when sufficient quantities of sodium are present. For example, the body makes hydrochloric acid from salt. (Hydrochloric acid is one of our essential digestive fluids.) In a healthy person, the quantity of salt retained in the tissues remains constant. Any excess sodium ingested is automatically eliminated through the kidneys. However, if disease is present, this elimination of excess salt is impaired, and excess salt deposits are created; or sudden loss if internal salt can occur.

When stress or infection demand an extra supply of salt, our body reserves are used. Addison's disease, pylorus blockage, ulcers and gastric cancers can create a critical loss of chloride ions and lower the sodium chloride in the digestive system causing a shortage of hydrochloric acid in gastric juices. These losses of chlorine and sodium inhibit the cell's self-cleansing function resulting in the blood becoming loaded with toxins. This, in turn, can act on the nervous system and create a chain reaction of new losses of sodium chloride, which in extreme cases can be fatal.

Salt is also responsible for the balance of acids and bases within the body. When salt enters the body it dissolves into ions (also called electrolytes because they carry electrical current). With this in mind, the water balance role of salt may be easier to understand. Water is a necessary part of all body cells but cells have no way to hold onto water molecules directly. They can only move ions around and water will follow ions. So the cells direct where the ions go, the water follows and this determines where the fluids go.

Why do people think salt is bad?

The problem with salt is not the salt itself, but the condition of the salt. In the 1940s the major salt producers in the USA began to dry salt at very high temperatures.  This changed the chemical structure of the salt.  These changes affect the human body adversely.  In order to make salt whiter, dryer and easier to pour they removed the minerals and other nutrients so that what was left was pure white sodium. Sodium is only one chemical found in salt but it is what we buy in our supermarkets and what we erroneously call salt.

Modern scientists have studied the effect of sodium and salt on the human body.  It is now widely known that certain substances increase our appetite.  Salt is one of the most powerful.  The reason for this lies in the part of our brain called the appestat.  The appestat constantly monitors the nutrient content of our blood and only when 51 specific nutrients are present at their proper levels will we feel full.  Food scientists have found that by adding or subtracting some of these nutrients, they can manipulate our sense of hunger and satiety.  While some of this research is still incomplete, it is believed that adding excess fat, sugar and salt to a food tends to make people overeat.  To simplify, if we eat a partial food or in the case of salt, a chemical, our brains tell us to keep eating until the correct number of nutrients are present in the blood.  Have you ever wondered why you can't eat just one potato chip?

Salt that will not dissolve has a tendency to collect in body organs.  Use this test to determine if salt has been processed. Mix a spoonful of salt in a glass of water and let stand overnight. If the salt collects on the bottom of the glass, it has been processed. Natural salt will dissolve.

The Function of Salt

To truly understand the function of salt, we need to look to the sea, witness the high level of health of its creatures and compare its composition to that of human body fluids.

Dehydrated sea water contains over 80 elements, most required for the maintenance of the human body. While all salt originates from the sea, refined table salt and almost all sea salts sold in health food stores have none of these elements left. Even in the "natural" salts, refining, washing, boiling or kiln drying has stripped away almost all traces of these minerals. That's why it is white and dry.

Any untreated, natural, whole salt will stubbornly hold on to part of its original water unless kiln or vacuum-pan dried. Even by drying naturally in the sun, salt crystals will not give up all of their moisture. In fact, the more trace and macro-nutrients the salt contains, the less moisture it will release.

True "natural" sun dried salt ranges from light gray or beige to pale pink in color. Unwashed salt obtained by the industrial method yields dark gray (dirty) salt which definitely requires washing. Industrial salt making is designed to obtain a 99% pure chemical--sodium chloride. Only about 8% of industrial salt produced is used for food. The rest goes for industrial and chemical uses and is all totally refined.

Dr. Jacques Loeb, M.D., a biologist renowned for his discoveries on parthenogenesis, did several experiments with protoplasm (living tissue) and salt. When he placed the protoplasm in distilled water, it lived. When he added pure (refined) sodium chloride, it acted as a deadly poison.

In nature, sodium chloride never occurs in pure form. A multitude of essential major and trace elements are in its crystals. Here is a partial list of these minerals and their function in human metabolism.

Sodium: Essential to digestion and metabolism, regulates body fluids, nerve and muscular functions.

Chlorine: Essential component of human body fluids.

Calcium: Needed for bone mineralization.

Magnesium: Dissipates sodium excess, forms and hardens bones, ensures mental development and sharpens intelligence, promotes assimilation of carbohydrates, assures metabolism of vitamin C and calcium, retards the aging process and dissolves kidney stones.

Sulfur: Controls energy transfer in tissue, bone and cartilage cells, essential for protein compounds.

Silicon: Needed in carbon metabolism and for skin and hair balance.

Iodine: Vital for energy production and mental development, ensures production of thyroid hormones, needed for strong auto-defense mechanism (lymphatic system).

Bromine: In magnesium bromide form, a nervous system regulator and restorer, vital for pituitary hormonal function.

Phosphorus: Essential for biochemical synthesis and nerve cell functions related to the brain, constituent of phosphoproteins, nucleoproteins and phospholipids.

Vanadium: Of greater value for tooth bone calcification than fluorine, tones cardiac and nervous systems, reduces cholesterol, regulates phospholipids in blood, a catalyst for the oxidation of many biological substances.
"To be normal, to drink Coca-Cola and eat Kentucky Fried Chicken is to be in a conspiracy against yourself."

Offline donnay

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »
"The 13 Amazing Health Benefits of Himalayan Crystal Salt,
the Purest Salt on Earth"

(and Why You Want to Avoid Conventional Salt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--bp9Dd6HcQ&feature=player_embedded

Salt is essential for life -- you cannot live without it. However, most people simply don't realize that there are enormous differences between the standard, refined table and cooking salt most of you are accustomed to using and natural health-promoting salt.

These differences can have a major impact on your staying healthy.

If you want your body to function properly, you need holistic salt complete with all-natural elements. Today's common table salt has nothing in common with natural salt.

Your table salt is actually 97.5% sodium chloride and 2.5% chemicals such as moisture absorbents, and iodine. Dried at over 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit, the excessive heat alters the natural chemical structure of the salt.

Continued...

Offline lamourlady

• ICHTHYS: Bible Study for Spiritual Growth
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 02:11:52 AM »
Thank you, Donnay.  I guess it is all about balance in anything, but also that salt is a requirement and that we should choose which salt, wisely.  My Grandmother, who has just turned 86, is a salt fiend, the amount she pours on her food is ridiculous.  I worry and try telling her that it is too much.

So,

Salt increases appetite on its own.
Salt has lost its normal structure of needed minerals because of processing.
This new salt structure lacks the necessary minerals that our bodies require to know if it is full (along with the foods we eat...because there is so much of this processed salt in it)
So, the more of this processed salt we eat, the hungrier we are and the more we eat because the signal to be full is being 'false flagged'.
This is done intentionally so that we get fat, lazy and addicted to the foods we eat, i.e.) fast food, junk food (sugar, been reading that thread too), and most processed food at the grocer, while they get rich.

If I got that wrong, please correct me.

Offline donnay

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 09:58:05 AM »
Thank you, Donnay.  I guess it is all about balance in anything, but also that salt is a requirement and that we should choose which salt, wisely.  My Grandmother, who has just turned 86, is a salt fiend, the amount she pours on her food is ridiculous.  I worry and try telling her that it is too much.

So,

Salt increases appetite on its own.
Salt has lost its normal structure of needed minerals because of processing.
This new salt structure lacks the necessary minerals that our bodies require to know if it is full (along with the foods we eat...because there is so much of this processed salt in it)
So, the more of this processed salt we eat, the hungrier we are and the more we eat because the signal to be full is being 'false flagged'.
This is done intentionally so that we get fat, lazy and addicted to the foods we eat, i.e.) fast food, junk food (sugar, been reading that thread too), and most processed food at the grocer, while they get rich.

If I got that wrong, please correct me.

It's not so much that common table salt will make you eat more, it is leaving your body devoid of any of the basic minerals it needs, therefore your body will crave these minerals which will cause you to eat more to provide your body for what it really needs.  That's why it is good to know why your body is craving these things.  

For example: if you crave something salty, you may have low levels of Chloride in your body-- 'Raw goat milk, fish, unrefined sea salt' [or himalayan salt] will help build the chloride levels back up in your body.  [my emphasis]

You could be experiencing leg cramps or general muscle cramps-- which means you have low potassium levels too.  Here is a list of foods with potassium:

• raisins
• prunes
• apricots
• dates
• strawberries
• watermelon
• cantaloupe
• citrus fruits
• beets
• spinach
• tomatoes
• mushrooms
• soy products
• veggie burgers
• peas
• beans
• turkey
• fish
• beef
• salmon
• cod

Because the processing of foods extracts the goodness in them, it is so important to stay away things that have been processed.  Things like cereals [Total, Special K, Wheaties] are extremely bad for you, because they take out all the minerals and nutrients, then replace them with synthetics and manipulate them in a way that your body becomes deficient in minerals and nutrients it needs--essentially causing you to eat more, in order for your body to receive the minerals and nutrients it requires daily.

"Common Table Salt is an industrial by-product, stripped by chemical processing of all elements except sodium and chloride - detrimental to health in isolated form. Anti-caking and flow agents are added, yet the FDA Code 21CFR101.100(a)(3), does not require their disclosure to consumers. Table salt comes from the same lots as vacuum-refined industrial salt and is treated with caustic soda or lime to remove all traces of magnesium salts, which are important for health.

Important minerals are removed because they provide large corporations with staggering profits for use in agricultural and industrial chemicals, pharmaceuticals, ammunitions, and other unsustainable industries."

Sources:

HimalaSalt
Food Cravings and what it means.
Potassium rich foods
Food Cravings Explained - From Chocolate to Carbs

Offline buckwheat

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 11:04:08 AM »
the excessive heat alters the natural chemical structure of the salt.

That is a flat out lie.

Unless you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to salt, then the only risk you face from salt is getting thirsty.

Anyone trying to sell you their special magical salt for health reasons is a con artist. The crystal shape can impact how you perceive the saltiness, if it's used at the table, but that's the ONLY benefit. You lose even that "benefit" the moment the salt is dissolved in water.

If you want to get a special salt to dress your steak or your salad because the bigger crystals give you a saltier "punch", go ahead, just don't buy the marketing lies claiming that the trace minerals in their special magic salt makes it any better for you than regular old table salt.

I swear, some of these "alternative" product manufacturers are as bad as big pharma or Monsanto when it comes to lying to consumers.

Offline 37

• "The President of what?"
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 11:07:47 AM »
Most Americans get their iodine from table salt. 

At a time when radioactive iodine is circling the globe, the US gov. wants it's citizens to reduce their intake of non-radioactive iodine.

That's not terribly surprising...
"Whatever it is, I am against it."  -Groucho Marx

Channel 37
http://www.youtube.com/user/jmortimer37

Offline buckwheat

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 11:13:40 AM »
At a time when radioactive iodine is circling the globe

Except for the fact that it's not. Radioactive Iodine has a half life of only a few days. You might be exposed to one, possibly two radioactive iodine atoms from the Japanese accident. The notion that you need to increase your iodine intake is a big pharma lie cooked up to spread fear and drive product sales, nothing more. The alt-med folks selling "natural" iodine sources are just as crooked in this case as the con artists in big pharma trying to scare you into compliance.

I'd expect folks on this forum to be a BIT better at questioning people telling them they need to buy something from big pharma.

The only folks who need to be scared of radioactive iodine right now live in Japan.

Offline 37

• "The President of what?"
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 11:15:52 AM »

Good point... most Americans will get a goiter instead of radiation.
"Whatever it is, I am against it."  -Groucho Marx

Channel 37
http://www.youtube.com/user/jmortimer37

Offline agentbluescreen

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »
Except for the fact that it's not. Radioactive Iodine has a half life of only a few days. You might be exposed to one, possibly two radioactive iodine atoms from the Japanese accident.

A Half-life is the period of time during which only-likely half of the numbers of a radiating isotope's atoms are most likely to decay into whatever they  are destined to become which is usually the stable and non-decaying atomic form of the element in question. The other half of them remain radioactive (alpha-beta) for yet another 'half life' period, not to mention what becomes of the decaying element's thus-released most dangerous gamma neutrons that are so released by the final stage of those decays and what that does to more distant surrounding tissues. In actuality there is no guarantee any atom will decay within any specific period, and the larger the numbers involved the multiples of 100% local radiation-dose exposures/times can be many months or years for any given dose of 131Iodine or any other inhaled particulate or gas isotope that remains in the body regardless of any statistical "half life" rating.

Half life is to decay as doubling time is to population - it is in no way indicative of how long any individual will "radiate"(live). This average-of-probabilities "estimation of odds" is like Russian Roulette, consider this decay chart that illustrates how the law of large numbers effects a given set of circumstances:

The animation illustrates how 1 out of 4 times even after 4 "half lives" half still remains!

In fact any given isotope atom can survive any length of time it feels like, emitting as much
radiation as it will inside of you. Exposures just depend on which one(s) you happen to eat.

The law of large numbers makes the above statement still true regardless of quantities, though
the multiple of more serious prolonged radiation exposures only increases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-life

Offline agentbluescreen

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 12:08:08 PM »
The law of large numbers is a rather obverse probability relationship, on larger scales it's largely truer but on smaller scales it is not. (the longer a single isotopic atom has survived the longer it's likely to) >:(

In other words it's not like evaporation where all things are equal.

Offline buckwheat

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 12:11:27 PM »
In fact any given isotope atom can survive any length of time it feels like, emitting as much
radiation as it will inside of you.

I see. You think radioactive isotopes are magical factories that can spit out an unlimited number of nasty bits of ill-defined "radiation" before they mysteriously "decay."

Radioactive decay is what causes the radiation to be emitted. Unless it decays into an element that is itself unstable, a single atom decays once and emits radiation once. You can copypasta all the technical detail you want about radioactive decay, but it's clear the actual threats posed by radiation are a vague, scary unknown to you. You don't understand it.

The simple fact is that radioactive iodine decays too quickly for any potentially damaging levels to reach the US or UK from Japan. Anyone trying to tell you differently is a con artist, or just a scared idiot more interested in making a buck off fear than learning the truth.

There are health risks to radiation and the Japanese nuclear disasters, but trying to sell an uninformed public iodine sources that won't actually protect them is irresponsible and exploitative. All that extra iodine is damaging to your health.

Offline agentbluescreen

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 12:27:39 PM »
Longer or shorter lived isotopes (of the same element) do not emit equal total-amounts of radiation. It depends how excited (how much/many subatomic energies) they have absorbed and the unwinding vagaries of how they are released. Unstable isotopes can be unstable in a myriad (6 X 6 or more) of other differently interactive ways, aside from the added neutron(s). There are whole different little circuses of quarks and leptons playing around in/with them. Their individual instabilities are all highly varied and circumstantial.

Offline phasma

• Have a H.A.A.R.P.Y DAY !
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 12:35:49 PM »
Just a point - but eating sea salt at the moment might be a good idea - sea salt contains iondine and we all know we need that about now.
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise - Surangama Sutra

Offline buckwheat

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
Longer or shorter lived isotopes (of the same element) do not emit equal total-amounts of radiation. It depends how excited (how much/many subatomic energies) they have absorbed and the unwinding vagaries of how they are released. Unstable isotopes can be unstable in a myriad (6 X 6 or more) of other differently interactive ways, aside from the added neutron(s). There are whole different little circuses of quarks and leptons playing around in/with them. Their individual instabilities are all highly varied and circumstantial.

What's you point anyway? That there MAY be some SMALL chance that a handful of radioactive Japanese iodine isotopes will find their way into your thyroid and manage to emit enough radiation to cause damage and that minuscule threat is great enough to justify a drastic iodine dosing level despite the very REAL medical risks of doing so?

If we can agree that the iodine dosing people are advocating is futile and dangerous then we agree on the important point in this discussion.

Offline buckwheat

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 12:40:11 PM »
Just a point - but eating sea salt at the moment might be a good idea - sea salt contains iondine and we all know we need that about now.

That's the point, we DON'T need extra iodine right now. The claim that we do is medical fear mongering from people trying to sell you iodine supplements.

Offline phasma

• Have a H.A.A.R.P.Y DAY !
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 12:41:21 PM »
Hmmm, most people are a little iodine deficient though, i know that. And i`m not proposing taking supplements when kelp etc is better.
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise - Surangama Sutra

Offline jamalkenk

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 03:11:55 PM »
Appreciate all that I read. However, I believe that all of us eat way to much salt. Even if you added nothing you would still get plenty. Foods such as can soup or processed meats are loaded with sodium. I know we need the iodine but salt is such a bad one. Heart disease, kidney disease salt can only make matters worse. My brother in law is anxiously awaiting a liver transplant and one of the big no-no's is salt. So maybe the government is right on this one.

Offline donnay

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 08:27:26 AM »
Appreciate all that I read. However, I believe that all of us eat way to much salt. Even if you added nothing you would still get plenty. Foods such as can soup or processed meats are loaded with sodium. I know we need the iodine but salt is such a bad one. Heart disease, kidney disease salt can only make matters worse. My brother in law is anxiously awaiting a liver transplant and one of the big no-no's is salt. So maybe the government is right on this one.

Salt, the salt that has not been chemically processed is not the culprit.  It is the chemically processed table salt that is extremely unhealthy.  Very minimal processed sea salt is very good, along with Himalayan salt which is excellent for you since it has many trace minerals in it.

As far as processed foods are concerned, you should stay away from it, period.  Again, it is the processed type of anything that you consume which is bad for your health.  You need salt to live, you need salt to function correctly, so do not buy into the hype that salt is bad for you!

Top Essentials of Life

1. Oxygen    2. Water    3. Salt    4. Potassium    5. Exercise

FACT
- No one can live without these. Mainstream medicine too often ignores 2 & 3 in favor of selling drugs and procedures to treat the symptoms of dehydration.

FACT - Nothing kills life quicker than lack of water.

FACT - The people with the worst health drink the least water and use the most deadly diuretic drought causing drugs - caffeine and/or alcohol.

FACT - The salinity of the water outside the cells in our bodies is the same as the ocean.

FACT - In the middle ages people were put to a horrible death by salt deprivation.

FACT - Health care makes big bucks by selling a quart of water with salt in it (Saline 4) for up to $350.00 installed, but won't tell the patients they do indeed need more water and salt in their diets.

FACT - How can you expect drug companies to do research on the importance of water in our daily lives when they can't make money on it? Who does research to put themselves out of business?

FACT - No two substances in the Bible are mentioned more than water and salt.

FACT - The environment of an unborn baby is water and salt.

Read more:  http://www.watercure2.org/interesting_facts.htm#salt_vital

Nevertheless, don't take my word on it research it yourself, as I have done.

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 08:40:44 AM »
The great salt-restriction hoax is getting 'outed' finally... one little study at a time:

===========================================

Salt Restriction: Updated Analysis Finds No Definite Proof of Benefit
http://www.nature.com/ajh/journal/vaop/ncurrent/index.html

Reductions in dietary salt are not followed by reductions in all-cause mortality or cardiovascular events, according to an updated Cochrane meta-analysis in the American Journal of Hypertension.

Researchers examined seven randomized, controlled trials encompassing some 6300 participants who either restricted salt intake or acted as controls. Studies included normotensives, hypertensives, mixed populations, and patients with heart failure.
Salt reduction was associated with a mean decrease in systolic blood pressure between 1 and 4 mm Hg. Rates of mortality and cardiovascular events were not significantly lowered among normotensives or hypertensives.

Patients with heart failure showed an increased risk for all-cause mortality after salt restriction.

Although the authors say their findings are not inconsistent with "the belief that salt reduction is beneficial in normotensive and hypertensive people," they admit that their conclusions are hampered by the small amount of evidence. They call for rigorous research "capable of definitively demonstrating the [cardiovascular] benefit of dietary salt reduction."

[Editor's note: The American Journal of Hypertension has not yet posted this article online, although the embargo has passed. We've linked to the journal's advance online publication page, where the article should appear shortly.]
And  the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, 
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40

Offline donnay

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 08:54:08 AM »
Great find, Satyagraha!

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 09:03:05 AM »
Great find, Satyagraha!

My dad, a person dealing with heart disease, was put on a salt-restricted diet. Pissed me right off.
Brainwashing of doctors in their pharma-funded medical schools contributes significantly to the health problems in this country.
Breaking the powerful spell of "the doctor is always right" is difficult: we're conditioned to believe everything they tell us.
Well, it's pretty clear that they're just pharma whores with few exceptions, and if we're going to be healthy we better do our own research.
They'd rather write a prescription than look into natural remedies, vitamins, or basic understanding of how the body works.
And  the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, 
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40

Offline donnay

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 09:23:12 AM »
My dad, a person dealing with heart disease, was put on a salt-restricted diet. Pissed me right off.
Brainwashing of doctors in their pharma-funded medical schools contributes significantly to the health problems in this country.
Breaking the powerful spell of "the doctor is always right" is difficult: we're conditioned to believe everything they tell us.
Well, it's pretty clear that they're just pharma whores with few exceptions, and if we're going to be healthy we better do our own research.
They'd rather write a prescription than look into natural remedies, vitamins, or basic understanding of how the body works.

Amen sister, I hear you!

My father is having many of the same problems, much of it is because for six years his doctor told him his cholesterol is too high and placed him on Crestor.  Now we are dealing with medically induced dementia and he had a mini-stroke after we convinced him to get off the poison.

Then to add insult to injury, they had him in the hospital for 11 months (for a mini-stroke), because he protested the whole time about being in a hospital (Dad never like them) they sedated him all the time on Ativan. On top of it all, he wound up getting a pressure wound on his tail bone, the size of a grapefruit and as deep as my pinky because they totally neglected him!!

We are now involved in a class-action lawsuit against Crestor, and my next step is going after the hospital for the sheer neglect.

As a side note:  I bought some of that first aid spray, Dermatol (Alex's sponsors) and Manuka honey since my father is back home getting personal care. I am pleased to announce his pressure wound (within 3 months) is the size of a quarter and as deep as my pinky nail.

Offline donnay

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 09:53:33 AM »
How prescient this story is-- Time Magazine's July issue.

The last line of the article, "Salt: How Bad Is It, Really?" says this:

"In the end then, there may be no simple answers. Researchers and public health officials who support population-wide efforts to curb sodium intake have a vast body of evidence to support their point of view. For decades now, they can say, we have seen studies that suggest — but, yes, they only suggest — that salt is deadly. And those who don't support efforts to curb salt consumption can claim, often correctly, that the evidence against salt is merely suggestive."

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/07/12/salt-how-bad-is-it-really/#ixzz1Rtmx00oe

Offline Information Warfare

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 01:47:32 AM »
Care full they've been putting fluoride in salt heres a quote from my thread in the flouride section of the forums. Its been heavily going on in Europe though im not sure about salt fluoridation status in the United States

http://www.eusalt.com/pages/salt-and-body/salt-fluoridation.html

This is the website for the European Salt Producers association it list many of the companies that produce fluoridated salts. I am completely appalled they are fluoridating salt in Europe because they can't fluoridate the water in many European countries. Europe is NOT fluoride free they are heavily fluoridating the population via salt. They even admit that they fluoridate salt because most of the European public is against water fluoridation here is a direct quote from the website.

Offline CmdrSoCal

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 10:59:36 PM »
celtic has the most minerals. may not be as pure as Himalayan though. i use half a pound per month. salt is good for preserving meat also. important for survivalist.
http://shop.goldminenaturalfoods.com/CELTIC-LIGHT-GREY-COARSE-SEA-SALT-22-LB/productinfo/0604-3922/
http://www.middle-ages.org.uk/middle-ages-food-preservation.htm

Offline LibertyPrevails

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 12:16:55 PM »
The whole spectrum of this issue is based on table salt, which is NOT real salt. Real sea salt is essential for optimum health, whereas table salt is just destructive to the body.
“Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?” ―Psalm 94:16

Offline donnay

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 11:14:08 PM »
The whole spectrum of this issue is based on table salt, which is NOT real salt. Real sea salt is essential for optimum health, whereas table salt is just destructive to the body.

Absolutely!

Offline Libertarian Perspective

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2011, 04:12:34 AM »
All good knowledge here, not much to add. Natural sea or rock salt is very good for you but the stuff that is normally called Salt which is processed you shouldn't touch with a bargepole. The basic rule to food is simple:

Processed = BAD
Unprocesed, unrefined = GOOD
“Good luck to him. I don’t blame him at all, but I just
wish he had not hit me so hard. I know he had to protect
his property, and I probably would have done the
same thing in his position. This has certainly stopped
me committing any more crime.” - British burglar elaborating robbery

Offline jofortruth

• The Great Deception
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2013, 05:41:19 PM »
Another good Salt - REDMOND REAL SALT. It's natural:
http://www.redmondtrading.com/real-salt/

I just started using it! The salt bans are indeed yet another fraud, or complete ignorance on the part of some doctors. Your body needs salt, like Donnay states above.

You should avoid the REFINED SALTS!

Don't believe me. Look it up yourself!

Offline CaptBebops

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2013, 05:52:05 PM »
Doctors are really piss poor when it comes to nutrition.  They get about one semester in college on it.  They'll rave about you if you have low blood pressure (hypotension).  But that's pretty ignorant because you might have been visiting your doctor to find out why you have chronic fatigue syndrome.  In that case salt can help.

Offline jofortruth

• The Great Deception
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2013, 06:03:27 PM »

Doctors are really piss poor when it comes to nutrition.  They get about one semester in college on it.

The Medical schools leave it out intentionally. They prefer to push DRUGS ON EVERYONE rather than tell people how to be healthy!

The industry MAKES MONEY ON SICK PEOPLE, so why tell them how to be well? That's the thinking of BIG PHARMA and BIG MEDICAL SCHOOLS controlled by people like the Rockefellers and buddies!

Therefore, they graduate doctors with zero knowledge of NUTRITION (WHAT I CALL REAL HEALTH). Pretty amazing isn't it? I once heard a doctor say that most of what he learned was useless, and we are talking 80% of his education. How would you like to have just gotten out of med school and have wasted 80% of your time and money?

Shameful!

Offline joeblowrc51

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 02:25:50 AM »
        It's more disinformation. Do you really believe that they do not know what causes high blood pressure? They say 95% is "essential" or unknown. The problem is not salt, it's salt sensitivity. People develop a sensitivity to salt when they are insulin resistant. Most Americans are insulin resistant (possibly 75%), meaning that their bodies do not react to insulin properly. Since we eat so much high carb foods, we constantly have excessive insulin in our blood stream. Eventually your body becomes resistant to it, and much more insulin is required to do the same job. Since insulin is a hormone it has many other functions than just to remove blood sugar. One of the side effects of excess insulin in your blood stream is sodium retention in your kidneys. This causes fluid retention and high blood pressure because your body must also retain water to keep the salinity balanced in your blood. High blood pressure causes many other issues in your body.

The government does not want you to know that if we stopped consuming carbs, most of the health issues would be gone in America. If you consume less than 30-50 carbs a day (average American consumes 300), you will maintain stable insulin levels, lower your blood pressure, and you will no longer be sensitive to salt. I feel sorry for anyone tricked into a lifetime of blood pressure medication when the answer is simple.

http://ajprenal.physiology.org/content/293/4/F974.full

Offline jofortruth

• The Great Deception
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 10:17:43 AM »
“The High Blood Pressure Hoax” by Dr. Sherry A. Rogers (Pg 159-160 + additional Chapters mentioned)
http://www.prestigepublishing.com

“It turns out that salt’s sodium is controlled by a membrane enzyme system (Na+K+ATPase) that is controlled in part by your oil change (3 things in book she recommends to  fix your cell membrane) that you learned in Chapter III. And the other part of salt control is via magnesium (Chapter I) and vitamin C (Chapter II) (Skou, Farvid).” Correct them all, and you usually (barring any other concomitant deficiencies or a kidney toxic with cadmium or lead, Chapter IV) no longer have salt-induced hypertension.”

http://physrev.physiology.org/content/45/3/596.long

Here's an additional research paper that supports what joeblowrc51 posted above!

Offline jofortruth

• The Great Deception
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 12:07:27 PM »