S. Korea to hold large live-fire drills Thursday: Hey, that's my town. :(

Author Topic: S. Korea to hold large live-fire drills Thursday: Hey, that's my town. :(  (Read 9529 times)

Offline citizenx

S. Korea to hold large live-fire drills Thursday

From Jiyeon Lee, CNN

December 22, 2010 12:56 a.m. EST
South Korea's war shift

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
The drills come as tensions between the two Koreas remain high
South Korea held live-fire military exercises earlier this week
South Korea will also hold navy drills starting Tuesday

Seoul, South Korea (CNN) -- South Korea will hold its largest winter live-fire drills Thursday in an area adjacent to North Korea, the South Korean army said Wednesday.

The drills are scheduled as tensions between the two countries remain high. But these drills were scheduled before the November shelling of a South Korean island by North Korea, army officials said.

More than 800 military personnel will take place in the exercise in Pocheon, roughly 15 miles away from North Korea, and it will begin at 2 p.m., a media officer from the South Korean army said.

continued:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/12/22/south.korea.drills/index.html?hpt=T1

Offline citizenx

Re: S. Korea to hold large live-fire drills Thursday: Hey, that's my town. :(
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 02:00:54 AM »
S Korea to hold largest-ever live-fire drill

Updated 2 hours 53 minutes ago

The drill will involve artillery, fighter jets and the largest number of personnel in a peace-time exercise. (AFP: Kim Jae-Hwan)

Related Story: Christmas tree becomes new Korean flashpoint Related Story: N Korea won't retaliate over live-fire drill Related Story: S Korea conducts live-fire drill on border island South Korea says it will hold its largest-ever live-fire drill near the military border with North Korea on Thursday, just as tension on the peninsula eases after Pyongyang's attack on a southern island.

The drill, involving artillery, fighter jets and the largest number of personnel in a peace-time exercise, comes after the South's live-fire artillery exercise on Monday on the island of Yeonpyeong and is bound to infuriate the North.

North Korea this week offered to re-admit UN inspectors concerned about its nuclear weapon program, leading to speculation of a resumption of six-party disarmament talks and a general sigh of relief around the world that the crisis had passed.

continued:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/22/3099456.htm?section=justin

Offline citizenx

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 02:07:08 AM »
Photo of an arch and bell from the War Memorial Park here in Pocheon:

"Pocheon of Fortune":  Where I have lived for the last three and a half years, and where my daughter was born two-and-a-half years ago.  (Busy three-and-a-half years).

Offline citizenx

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 07:20:24 AM »
South Korea Begins New Round of Military Drills
By MARK McDONALD
Published: December 22, 2010

SEOUL, South Korea — Despite previous warnings of retaliation from North Korea, the South Korean military continued to defy the North on Wednesday by launching a three-day naval drill in the Sea of Japan and scheduling an exercise by the army and air force about 30 miles from the North-South demilitarized zone.

The naval exercise, scheduled to last three days, was expected to take place about 60 miles south of the maritime border in waters off the east coast of the Korean Peninsula. An official at the Defense Ministry said there would be no shelling during the drill.

A one-day artillery exercise also was planned for Thursday, the defense official said, at a firing range near Pocheon, about 25 miles northeast of Seoul. He denied news reports in Seoul that called it the largest live-fire drill ever to be held near the demilitarized zone, or DMZ. Instead, the official characterized the drill as “ordinary.”

continued:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/23/world/asia/23korea.html?_r=1&hp

T0RN

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 10:23:41 PM »
Wow, you're right there. You have evacuation plans or anywhere to go for the day just in case?

I pray you and your family/friends are safe.

Offline tritonman

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 11:12:01 PM »
Take care over there X. 

Offline citizenx

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 11:41:41 PM »
I don't think the North Koreans, even if they retaliate would necessarily attack Pocheon (with rockets?  artillery?).

It's not even really that big an exercise, just the press was playing it up for a while.  (I wonder why. ::))

Anyway, I'm not evacuating anywhere.  If bombs start to drop, I might evacuate my bowels.

I grew up in America during the cold war -- what's new, really?

In any event, I told my wife if I call her to take the baby over to the basement of the supermarket/department store down the street.  I don't know what else to do.  If we have more warning we will get away from the border and at least head in to Seoul, and if we have more time, we will get out (if necessary) and go to the U.S. or the Philipines.

In any event, I appreciate your concern and prayers, guys.

I wish you and yours a safe and hapy holiday as well.

Note: This is really a bad time for a war, IMO.  We've got plans all weekend.  Sometime in the New Year would be better for us, if it's really necessary.

Of course, it's not.

Offline citizenx

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 01:55:25 AM »
North Korea Response Muted to South's Large Drill

By REUTERS
Published: December 23, 2010
  Filed at 1:24 a.m. ET

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea criticized major land and sea military exercises staged by the South on Thursday, but stopped short of threatening a retaliatory strike as tension remained high on the divided peninsula.

In a show of military might, South Korea held a major land drill in the Pocheon region, between Seoul and the heavily armed demilitarized zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas. It also continued naval live-fire exercises 100 km (60 miles) south of the maritime border with North Korea.

In a rare visit to the front line, South Korean President Lee Myung-bak visited a separate military unit near the border to inspect defensive readiness against Pyongyang.

continued:

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/12/23/world/international-us-korea-north.html?_r=1&hp
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank God.

Offline grapecrusher1

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 02:18:28 AM »
North Korea Response Muted to South's Large Drill

By REUTERS
Published: December 23, 2010
  Filed at 1:24 a.m. ET

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea criticized major land and sea military exercises staged by the South on Thursday, but stopped short of threatening a retaliatory strike as tension remained high on the divided peninsula.

In a show of military might, South Korea held a major land drill in the Pocheon region, between Seoul and the heavily armed demilitarized zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas. It also continued naval live-fire exercises 100 km (60 miles) south of the maritime border with North Korea.

In a rare visit to the front line, South Korean President Lee Myung-bak visited a separate military unit near the border to inspect defensive readiness against Pyongyang.

continued:

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/12/23/world/international-us-korea-north.html?_r=1&hp
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank God.

The sabre rattling is getting a little much and they are taunting a beast, seemingly intentionally, that already has self esteem issues.  Not good.

Note: This is really a bad time for a war, IMO.  We've got plans all weekend.  Sometime in the New Year would be better for us, if it's really necessary.

Of course, it's not.

I am not in the mood for this war right now, either.  In fact, in my lifetime I cant recall a time when I had been in the mood for any war.

cheers
"The meek shall inherit NOTHING" -- Zappa

Offline citizenx

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 02:22:07 AM »
Yeah, the saber-rattling on both sides is getting on my last nerve.

I just got off the phone with my mom back in ther desert.  She watched the ten o'clock news and was all freaked out (understandably).  Had to explain why things were not so bad (yet).

We talked about plans to get my family out if things really start to head south.

I'm with you. It's been years since I was a brain-washed militarist puppet.  Thankfully, I woke up out of that (prior to Gulf War II).  I had pretty much woken up after the first Gulf War during which time I served, though I did not have to go over there.  I bought all the lies about Afghanistan, too -- as many had, but woke up when I started to see the games that were being played about Iraq.

It's been a process.  But, I'm with you.  No more war for me ever, and certainly not for my wife and daughter.

cheers,

CX

Offline Freeski

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 02:48:04 AM »
I know what you mean about the Cold War. Me too. They could destroy the world then and they can destroy the world now.
"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline feeditup

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 04:27:41 AM »
You think this is just a coincidence ?  I dont
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAf5r_h7a1U&feature=player_embedded
Facebook is the Barn of the sheep, time to break in, Tare some f**king wool up

T0RN

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 09:43:29 AM »
NKorea threatens 'sacred' nuclear war if attacked

By FOSTER KLUG and HYUNG-JIN KIM, Associated Press Foster Klug And Hyung-jin Kim, Associated Press – 1 hr 2 mins ago

POCHEON, South Korea – North and South Korea beat the drums of war Thursday, with each threatening the other with immediate retaliation if attacked.

Seoul has staged days of military drills in a show of force meant to deter North Korea, including live-fire exercises earlier this week on a front-line island shelled by the North last month. Angered by the exercises, North Korea threatened Thursday it would launch a "sacred" nuclear war if Seoul hit it and warned that even the smallest intrusion on its territory would bring a devastating response.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101223/ap_on_re_as/as_koreas_clash

Offline tinfoiltruth

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 09:49:44 AM »
Bets of luck X, My thoughts and prayers will not only be with you but many others form North & South Korea that want nothing to do with this crap.

Offline citizenx

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 01:07:32 PM »
I couldn't sleep, I just got done drowning a rat I caught in my trap.  (I don't really have the heart to draw blood even form a rat on Christmas Eve.  Drowning I can live with.)

It's the shaking your fists in impotent rage I really can't stand.  No, I don't want war AND I have had enough of the stupid saber-rattling on both sides, a dangerous and idiotic game.

Honestly.

That is what this $hit is.  Pathetic.

Both sides, unless they really wish for a mutually destructive war need to STFU IMO.

STFU and GTFU.

Merry Christmas to all,

and a Peaceful New Year,

CX

Offline shipgeek

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 01:11:48 PM »
Merry Mas to you too Citizen X!

I hope there will be no war.    :o
E MARE LIBERTAS

T0RN

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 03:59:35 PM »
War rhetoric rises between North and South Korea

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- One month after a deadly exchange of artillery fire, the two Koreas ramped up their rhetoric Thursday, with South Korea's president pledging unsparing retaliation if attacked again and a top North Korean official threatening a "sacred" nuclear war if provoked.

South Korean troops, tanks and fighter jets put on a thundering display of force as President Lee Myung-bak visited with soldiers at a base near the border, while North Korea's elite marked a key military anniversary by lashing out at the South for encouraging war.

For both countries, the rallying cries and military maneuvers mainly seemed designed to build support at home. But they raised fears anew of all-out war on a peninsula that New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson called a "tinderbox" after returning from a visit to the North Korean capital this week.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_KOREAS_CLASH?SITE=CAANG&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Offline feeditup

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 04:15:59 PM »
If there are any Koreans reading America loves you

And all the people that love making youtube videos lets help the Koreans out buy exposing them on youtube speak out with love.

the governments of the world always want war but not the people so lets stop this befor it starts , I watched a very good film on Iran and after watching it i couldn't imagine them coming to kill me

Offline citizenx

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 04:21:12 PM »
I don't believe the South Korean people, the majority, want war.

Thst would be insane.

The governement on the other hand...

I just don't know any more.

I had given them more credit.

Offline feeditup

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 04:25:08 PM »
what the US needs to do is just not run the drill . I don't see the point in provoking war . So the word needs to get out that Korea south and north along with the US government are trying to provoke murder on both sides

And the people don't want any part of it. so stop throwing us fear tactics. were not buying it . this isn't 2001  The wool can no longer be pulled over are eyes .  Now wheres the Aliens at ?? lol Thats the only real chance i see them having

Offline citizenx

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 04:52:42 PM »
The most dangerous man in Korea
By Peter Lee

Who is the most dangerous man on the Korean Peninsula? Maybe it's not Kim Jung-il, but South Korea's President Lee Myung-bak.

The big story in North Asia in 2010 was the destabilizing effort by South Korea to use its growing profile as a regional power to seize control of the reunification agenda and promote a policy for reunification under its aegis. Its initiative attracted the determined opposition of North Korea and China, the qualified support of the United States, and the glum acquiescence of Japan.

continued:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Korea/LL23Dg01.html