Author Topic: Are precious metals being overhyped? What about those who can't afford them?  (Read 6192 times)

Offline freedom_commonsense

Realistically -

Relying on good luck, because there isn't much I or the other millions of working class folk can do. Problem is when everyone slashes their budgets simultaneously like is happening here, you get economic depression. Even the fact that I'm personally spending less at my usual places of business is hurting my trading partners - I used to contract for IT installations\repairs\etc and that was big money for the equipment suppliers.

Offline egypt

• Love: A Wish to bestow the fullness of Joyous Life
Geo-Libertarian,

I don't mean to "correct" anything that is posted, here.

We do need to get rid of the problem -- globalist takeover, or whatever is the proper term.

Not everyone can invest in precious metals.  Many people "could" purchase one silver dollar.  Max Keiser thinks if *everyone* purchased silver, it would take down JP Morgan...

In the meantime, from what I am understanding, the dollar will take a dive.  I saw it two days ago when in 24-hours, the price of gasoline went up 6 cents {in addition to the steady rise that seems to be taking place}.

How does one, in personal action, address what is happening?  If there is "overhype" on precious metals, what is the correct alternative?

I personally believe there should be zero taxes on property.  I am sure there are reasonable in-betweens, like possibly having property tax until the mortgage is paid off.  But, I think property taxes should be illegal.  Taxation can take place in other ways without risk of losing one's property.

Love, e

Offline lamourlady

• ICHTHYS: Bible Study for Spiritual Growth
Good question, E.  I'd like to know as well.

Offline freedom_commonsense

I personally believe there should be zero taxes on property.  I am sure there are reasonable in-betweens, like possibly having property tax until the mortgage is paid off.  But, I think property taxes should be illegal.  Taxation can take place in other ways without risk of losing one's property.

Love, e

That would depend where you bought the home - land is completely fixed unlike other things that are traded, and the real estate market is not voluntary (unless you happen to live in space or become a vagrant). However, for the vast bulk of people, land value tax would reduce their tax liability and wages would soar from the increased labour demand (via commercial development of previously unused sites), again benefitting the bulk of the populace.

Not everyone has the luxury of being a homeowner. People on the lower end of the income scale who rent would still be paying indirectly, but their landlords would not be able to capture publically created value by sitting there nothing. That, and the lack of wage\sales taxes would prevent them paying twice over for things such as infrastructure. Only by improving the site would a landlord be able to levy a higher charge.

We could suggest taxes on other monopolies, such as the radio spectrum as well (I believe Ralph Nader favours such a policy).

Offline Geolibertarian

• Global Moderator
  • 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB! www.ae911truth.org
I personally believe there should be zero taxes on property.

"Property" in what?

There are three factors of wealth production -- land, labor and capital.

That means if you don't tax the publicly-created value of land, then -- unless you're an anarcho-capitalist -- you must tax either the privately-created value of labor or the privately-created value of capital (or both) to finance whatever you regard as the proper functions of government.

How is taxing the value of either labor or capital any less a violation of "private property rights" than taxing the value of land?

I've been asking royal libertarians this question for over a decade, and have yet to receive a rational response.

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=160421.0 (Land Value Taxation: Rebuttals to Common Objections)
"Abolish all taxation save that upon land values." -- Henry George

"If our nation can issue a dollar bond, it can issue a dollar bill." -- Thomas Edison

http://webofdebt.com
http://schalkenbach.org
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=203330.0

Offline hardrain77

Well, some normal sheeple that I know of have been hocking their gold just to pay the rent, so people are aware of the price of precious metals. I, myself am of low living wage and cannot buy an ounce of gold at will, but I have stocked up on silver over the past few years and am thrilled(!) that it's nearly doubled in two years.

Not sure how this thread devolved, but there's my 2 troy ounces (2 cents) worth.
"Some of the biggest men in the United States, in the field of commerce and manufacturing, are afraid of something. They know there is a power somewhere, so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so pervasive, they had better not speak above their breath."

Woodrow Wilson