Microsoft to Force Out BIOS with Adoption of UEFI in 2011 PCs

Author Topic: Microsoft to Force Out BIOS with Adoption of UEFI in 2011 PCs  (Read 8053 times)

Offline Optimus

• Globalist Destroyer
  • Global Moderator
  • The banksters are steaming piles of dog shit!
    • GlobalGulag.com
Microsoft to Force Out BIOS with Adoption of UEFI in 2011 PCs
« on: October 05, 2010, 02:30:34 pm »
I wonder what surveillance hell Microsoft has put into this? ???

Say Bye to BIOS and Hello to PCs that Boot in Seconds With UEFI
Jason Mick (Blog) - October 4, 2010 9:24 AM

Microsoft will unleash the PC's latest trick on the world next year, according to reports

BIOS will be reportedly going the way of the dinosaur next year.  (Source: Basic Computer Skills)

The Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) isn't a familiar topic to most casual computers users, but those familiar with its history recognize it as one of the PCs worst examples of burdensome legacy code.  

Back in 1979 the BIOS were cooked up to provide compatibility for IBM clones.  Due to legal issues they had to be designed through a bizarre process -- reverse engineering of IBM's code, and then re-design based on a specification produced by the reverse engineering team (as opposed to simply directly using the reverse-engineered code).

The results worked, but were hardly outstanding examples of firmware engineering.  Today the primary role of BIOS in PCs is to load the Windows operating system's boot loader, in effect starting the OS load process, but modern BIOS retain much of the same ancient legacy code of that original BIOS -- and its many rough edges.  And what was an ungainly code to start, only became worse with time -- BIOS' difficulty in handling new types of hardware like USB peripherals is a key factor in why PCs often take a half minute or more to boot.

But the days of BIOS are about to come to an end, as is their weak performance.  Microsoft reportedly plans to force adoption of a new PC firmware interface called Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) in 2011.

More...
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people,
it's an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” – Patrick Henry

>>> Global Gulag Media & Forum <<<

Offline Optimus

• Globalist Destroyer
  • Global Moderator
  • The banksters are steaming piles of dog shit!
    • GlobalGulag.com
Re: Microsoft to Force Out BIOS with Adoption of UEFI in 2011 PCs
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 02:35:40 pm »
Can any of you techies explain what this means? To me when it says Microsoft plans on forcing something on us, it can't be good.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people,
it's an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” – Patrick Henry

>>> Global Gulag Media & Forum <<<

Offline Femacamper

• LIVE FREE OR DIE!
    • PLANET INFOWARS
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 02:39:09 pm »
All the better to spy on you, of course.

Offline stangrof

• http://www.ipernity.com/home/stangrof
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 02:43:22 pm »
Can any of you techies explain what this means? To me when it says Microsoft plans on forcing something on us, it can't be good.
If i understand correctly, it is a new firmware to reckonize the new hardware, in my own opinion, it will be a way to make impossibe to use another O.S , i wonder about linux.
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.
Oscar Wild
twitter :https://twitter.com/stangrof

Offline MonkeyPuppet

• aut libertas aut mors
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 02:47:15 pm »

Income Tax: Shattering The Myths
w w w . original intent . o r g

The 1911 in .45 ACP... don't leave home without it!  Safety first!!

Lucian Solaris

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 02:50:44 pm »
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

The Linux kernel will never be locked out of these devices (assuming it's to lock Linux out).  The BIOS is the on-board software that handles the motherboard and its resources, tests it, sets configuration settings, then hands control off to a boot loader, which then hands off to a selected kernel.  "ntoskrnl" in Windows NT (NT to Vista today) and "Linux" in the GNU system (which is commonly referred to as GNU/Linux or Linux) are the kernels.

Industry can't get away with locking out Windows alternatives so I doubt that's the case.  Macintosh hasn't had a BIOS since it moved to the x86 architecture, yet Linux installs just fine without bootcamp.  If this is a back-door way of introducing Trusted Computing and the normalization of Intel's vPro technology then it's entirely possible the lock-in and spying projections are correct.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG (Private)

iJ4EAREKAAYFAkyrc9sACgkQyV7MQbWSG4P2dAH/SkpnvcwPjBkyXPnuZrJoTvQ6
H7Y6Kt6GUGdeaab0pAnYGHbiPKTNqtcSUyNkRFHcJea6151ur8c/fA819qSZ4AIA
lOAjhGHy6ooprIUjfFbbr6eive5lBgMMSlU+fSu+eXcpU8r4OKpmSE2MBPlnN0pB
7fIsmH0RX/YdxuOjhQ5xHQ==
=yQs9
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 07:59:33 pm »
If i understand correctly, it is a new firmware to reckonize the new hardware, in my own opinion, it will be a way to make impossibe to use another O.S , i wonder about linux.

This needs to be exposed on all the Linux sites - the Ubuntu forums, DistroWatch Weekly, Linux Today, etc. Somebody email Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols at ComputerWorld about this.

Offline freedom_commonsense

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 08:35:52 pm »
I'll wait half a minute to avoid centralised control and spying, thanks.

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 05:46:11 am »
They've already put UEFI in some computers, and I've heard conflicting reports on UEFI compatibility with Linux.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/casper/+bug/635439

I burned the Ubuntu 10.10 bčta to a CD-RW (and a DVD+-RW to rule out problems with media) and found out that the Ubuntu LiveCD won't boot. It gets to the grub prompt and then... Nothing. The thing I expected to see is (of course) the kernel loading and eventually the LiveCD environment.

The grub boot command for the installer is:
linux /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity quiet splash --
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

if I remove 'only-ubiquity quiet splash' and replace that with 'debug=' I get no text on the screen whatsoever. It stays blank and after a while the DVD-ROM station spins downs and nothing's happening, so there isn't any useful debug output to show.

I'm sorry I can't provide you with more information, I hope there is some way to debug this problem.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1148564

I don't know about Ubuntu specifically, and I don't know many specifics, but I do know that Linux in general works with EFI/UEFI. In addition to ELILO, there's GRUB 2 support for EFI. I don't know if Ubuntu's version of GRUB 2 includes this support.

Also, UEFI is not required to overcome the 2TiB limit of MBR. I've got several computers that boot just fine using GUID Partition Table (GPT) disks on BIOS-based computers. I'm typing on one of them. The most important caveat on this score is to be sure to create a small (100KiB to 1MiB) BIOS Boot Partition to hold part of GRUB 2. Another caveat is that some BIOSes seem to have problems with specific GPT configurations, but these problems seem to be rare and are easily overcome. See my Web page on the topic for more information.

Apple computers already have UEFI, and Linux runs and installs just fine on Macs. Both of my Macs (Mac Mini and MacBook) run Ubuntu just fine as a live CD. The tech industry - including the free software establishment - are using UEFI to sell Linux users on their own enslavement.

Offline EvadingGrid

• Toxophillite
  • Global Moderator
  • Rat Catcher
    • Mystery Babylon - MP3 Archive
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 06:18:44 am »
What you will find is that EFI supports Networking protocols...
( minor alarm bell )

This 'feature' is popular with Tech Support becuase it will provide the means for an engineer to remotely enter your PC from across the Network.

This is the technology that allows a PC which the user has 'switched off' to be remotely booted by an engineer and adjustments made.

( FEEL VERY THREATENED )

The first to see the benefits of swapping old-fashioned Bios for UEFI have been system administrators who have to oversee hundreds or thousands of PCs in data centres or in offices around the world.

Before now, said Mr Doran, getting those machines working has been "pretty painful" because of the limited capabilities of Bios.

By contrast, he said, UEFI has much better support for basic net protocols - which should mean that remote management is easier from the "bare metal" upwards.

British State Propaganda 'News'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11430069

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Global Gulag

Offline agentbluescreen

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 09:31:00 am »
They've already put UEFI in some computers, and I've heard conflicting reports on UEFI compatibility with Linux.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/casper/+bug/635439

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1148564

Apple computers already have UEFI, and Linux runs and installs just fine on Macs. Both of my Macs (Mac Mini and MacBook) run Ubuntu just fine as a live CD. The tech industry - including the free software establishment - are using UEFI to sell Linux users on their own enslavement.

Well it's a mixed bag really. 64 bit UEFI performs far, far better than the ancient, crotchety almost 30 year-old 16 bit BIOS straitjacket. Remember also that it is not just a boot loader, it is a gatekeeper/toll-bridge that must still be leaned on and passed through (by any OS) for vital runtime services.

BIOS was never designed for today’s incredibly wide diversity nor quantity of system hardwares. It’s still stuck with 16-bit interfaces and a severely crippling limited number of directly supported hardware/software IRQ (processor-"hailing")interrupts, a limited number/size of mountable devices (no good for servers at all), limited ACPI-kludged IRQ interrupt routing and a maxed-out variety of precision timers, limited ROM execution space (1 MB) and image size, proprietary extensions, and is completely missing any form of modularity. It has a few other major, weak, poor-security (multi-user environment) issues as well.

The horrid add-on NCR SCSI BIOS solution for extending runtime storage support was another major flaw. Now-old 32 bit systems with multi-user OS kludges (running "over" BIOS storage interfaces) literally had almost zero actual hardware interface-level storage security. (the OS software just prevents a user from seeing all of what's there like everything else is, on the hardware)

It's actually the main limitation/reason why a Windows "virtual machine" actually runs faster "inside of OSX" on a Mac, for instance.

Furthermore UEFI allows for full hardware independence and interface because of it's OS-indepentent driver support through its own standardized driver model, so that manufacturers can supply a standard driver that runs their particular device and it's features on any machine in any environment. It's also supposed to provide a backwards compatible 16 bit "BIOS equivalent" downgraded mode but depending on the installer who knows?

As EvadingGrid points out, here are some distasteful network/processor (Intel features) remote-control 'advantages' to it that are not quite as security minded as one might wish but such is the cost of progress, I guess. There's nothing preventing you from running off the grid, using a better router-firewall (the Stuxnet fix) or using your power bar's off switch.  ???

Offline Technitum

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 08:04:07 am »
Years ago microsoft tried to impliment something with the bios, it got turned down.

What they were tryign to impliment was a form  of copy protection,  so extreme it got beaten down by consumers and shoved back into the dark recesses in which it came from.   The design was, the motherboard/mainboard was the copy protection.  every piece of hardware in you're machine, and every piece of software you install onto it - the pc verify's itself is legit by connecting online - registering the unique code on the pieces of hardware you have and the software and registering it to you're name.  They'd be able to "brick" comptuers remotely if they deemed you had installed illigeal/dodgy hardware or software.

Mircosoft has been pushing to get this technology into the works for years.  It was successfull on the mostpart with windows 7. Some versions of windows 7 (OEM)  will tie the windows CD key directly to a unique code you're pc generates based on what hardware is in the computer.  If the motherboard dies, and needs to be replaced - unless you replace it with THE EXACT SAME make/model - windows will not activate,  and you'll be told tough luck - go buy another copy of windows - its in the T&C.

In the end this disadvantages the legit user - the rate in which technology is progressing genearly after 2 months of a piece of hardware being released, its outdated and no longer in production - unless you buy you're pc through the big brands - you're screwd. again, forcing you to pay the extra $ to go through the big brand name, leaving the consumer ripe to be ripped off - through sneaky loopholes and bastard like terms and conditions.

It would be no surprise whatsoever,  if hidden in this new bios that the framework for this natzi style of copy protection is there.

Offline MonkeyPuppet

• aut libertas aut mors
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 09:52:04 am »
Mircosoft has been pushing to get this technology into the works for years.  It was successfull on the mostpart with windows 7. Some versions of windows 7 (OEM)  will tie the windows CD key directly to a unique code you're pc generates based on what hardware is in the computer.  If the motherboard dies, and needs to be replaced - unless you replace it with THE EXACT SAME make/model - windows will not activate,  and you'll be told tough luck - go buy another copy of windows - its in the T&C.

Once activated, Windows 7 remains activated.  If you have to reinstall Windows, however, and have replaced the motherboard, it doesn't matter if it is the exact same make/model, you will still need to call into M$ and do the activation "manually".  The only qualifying question I've noticed is "How many times has this key been activated?"... and it's all automated.  I've had to do this twice since we migrated at the office.  Not saying I agree with it, but it is relatively painless.

Income Tax: Shattering The Myths
w w w . original intent . o r g

The 1911 in .45 ACP... don't leave home without it!  Safety first!!

Offline tinfoiltruth

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 10:52:20 am »
Apple has been using EFI for about 10 years.

bios has a 16 bit limit remember the days of 640kb ram. (bill gates said you would never need more than that)

well base memory is still 640kb, then the extension of your gigs of ram add to that there has been some adoption to enable the extended memory but it is still limited by the bios on true performance.

like agent bluescreen said efi is much more efficient.

as always with new tech comes new ways to spy.

PS. Linux will never be locked out of a computer. as it is open source, it is programed by the "Borg" and will always adapt to the enviroment no matter what they do.

Offline Femacamper

• LIVE FREE OR DIE!
    • PLANET INFOWARS
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 11:04:56 am »
I'm wondering if Ptech had involvement with this technology.

Offline iks83

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 02:16:41 am »
I understand the need for fast booting and the need for admins to handle a large amount of computers but this will probably be abused by the system for more control. I wonder... can the user still go into this new BIOS and set up things? Like disabling the booting through a network signal, and all the other crap you wont need? I fear it wont be possible. Everything they do is taking more control away from the individual. Like with the cloud system. While its pretty awesome for some applications like webhosting, for an individual to outsource his data is just a very stupid thing to do.

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 08:43:36 am »
Check with the motherboard manufacturers on the exact implementation.

I understand the need for fast booting and the need for admins to handle a large amount of computers but this will probably be abused by the system for more control. I wonder... can the user still go into this new BIOS and set up things? Like disabling the booting through a network signal, and all the other crap you wont need? I fear it wont be possible. Everything they do is taking more control away from the individual. Like with the cloud system. While its pretty awesome for some applications like webhosting, for an individual to outsource his data is just a very stupid thing to do.

The boards I've seen with UEFI allow the same kind of options as the previous BIOS standard.

Offline tinfoiltruth

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 02:47:37 pm »
yah same here I have a UEFI board and I can turn on and off things in the software. still doesnt mean it wount be over ridden with secret hacks and such by those who know

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 03:04:47 pm »
yah same here I have a UEFI board and I can turn on and off things in the software. still doesnt mean it wount be over ridden with secret hacks and such by those who know

Then why are you connected to the internet or using a UEFI motherboard then if you're that concerned?

Again....check with the motherboard manufacturer, they build the things. I wish people would use some discernment for a change on this forum, and stop calling everything they don't understand a nasty conspiracy.

Offline ghost hacked

• Watching you watching me!
    • o.h.m.
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 03:50:51 pm »
As a techie, the way I see and understand it, is that the current BIOS is limited in many ways, and is well, slow in modern terms. The BIOS is still 16bit architecture, while OS and most software are now into the 64bit era. So the BIOS needs to be updated to bring it in line with the modern era essentially. Currently you are using a 16bit loader to boot up a 64bit operating system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

Better compatibility, and from what I understand you will have more control over the new BIOS through the windows or whatever OS you are running.

Leaving aside the big brother back door angle, it will greatly improve the performance and boot up times for a computer. Recently I upgraded to a solid state drive, and it takes longer to POST through the current version of the BIOS than it does to load windows up.
'We play the game with the bravery of being out of range.' - Roger Waters

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 07:13:26 pm »
All of the cloud computing shill companies are pushing hard for "instant-on" technology which would take you from off to being connected to the cloud (in other words, you'd be tracked by Big Brother the moment you would turn your computer on). They've tried "instant-on" OSes with gOS Cloud and Xandros Presto. Both products and their respective companies were dismal failures and are no longer in the desktop/laptop OS business.

Offline tinfoiltruth

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 10:04:35 am »
Then why are you connected to the internet or using a UEFI motherboard then if you're that concerned?

Again....check with the motherboard manufacturer, they build the things. I wish people would use some discernment for a change on this forum, and stop calling everything they don't understand a nasty conspiracy.

mostly because I use those secret commands everyday to gain access to computers so that I can repair them. or reinstall os.

it was not put in there for malicious intent it was put in there for a good purpose that has saved my bacon many times. but like anything Good can be turned to evil in a heart beat. just takes the right person. or wrong for that matter,

Offline Overcast

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 10:23:09 am »
It's probably because there is a Windows7 hack out there that exploits Microsoft's 'gimmie' to big computer companies.

See - you and I; if we build a PC, we'll have to put in a code, activate online, etc, etc.

But Microsoft built Windows 7, so that if it detects a particular BIOS (Dell, HP, etc) that it activates itself as an 'OEM' install. This was exploited with a boot-loader that masquerades as an OEM BIOS to get around this.

So you can put the boot loader on any PC and it think it's a Dell - it never again asks for activation, etc - and I doubt there's little Microsoft can do about it, since MS can't force out a BIOS update to various machines.

Doesn't matter, there will still be ways around this too. Plus, someone bought the rights to Commodore's old name and they are making custom PC's - that are shipped with Ubuntu, but likely can run Windows. I suspect some companies won't be so easily pushed around by EugenicsSoft.... err Microshaft...

Here, want a REAL low profile PC? Check this out: http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_VICSlim.aspx
And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

Offline Femacamper

• LIVE FREE OR DIE!
    • PLANET INFOWARS
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 08:30:48 am »
Those new Commodores are pretty trendy, but kinda pointless unless you're nouveau riche. :P

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 09:39:57 am »
Those new Commodores are pretty trendy, but kinda pointless unless you're nouveau riche. :P

Other than Leonard Tramiel, I hope the Tramiel family stays away from this version of Commodore and doesn't run it into the ground like they did the original Commodore and Atari.

Offline Overcast

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 12:13:43 pm »
Other than Leonard Tramiel, I hope the Tramiel family stays away from this version of Commodore and doesn't run it into the ground like they did the original Commodore and Atari.

Indeed. It has potential back then, maybe not enough to stop the coming tide of 'IBM compatibles' - but still..

I'd like to see them get some market share. The IT market needs more competition in terms of hardware and Operating Systems.
And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 03:55:05 pm »
On second thought, maybe ALL Tramiels should stay away...Leonard included.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/10505-anybody-actually-like-jack-tramiel/

And putting his sons in charge to run things was not wise. Don't know much about Sam, but Leonard was not a thrill to meet. Meet him once and his arrogance filled the room! I could feel the worry in the employees heads on whether they were going to get into trouble and lose their jobs having some Atari fans take a tour of their HQs art department. Plus some of the internal correspondance that I've seen between employees about approaching Leonard on certain issues. For example, the Art Department wanted a copy of the Jaguar developers manual to better understand the information written in there about the color schemes on the Jaguar. He jumped on there case in the fact they didn't need to know how to program and refused to allow them to have a copy. What's with that?

I didnt start this thread just to bash Jack Tramiel, I think he did enough of that on his own. As a business man, he was mediocre. As a person, he was a jerk. I have dealt with him myself in the past, and I know several people who dealt with him on a *BUSINESS* level, and I can tell you from experience, Jack was anything but professional. Ask any Atari employee close to Jack or Sam's office who were there during the Tramiel age and they will vouch for many -a- screaming match, even between Tramiels. I am not anti-capitolist and I have a very good understanding of business practices, and one of the most basic things you learn about business is the bottom line... some of you support Jack by saying "Jack saved Atari!" ...or "well you have to remember what shape Atari was in when Jack took over to see just how much he turned the company around." ... well the bottom line is that he DIDNT save Atari. He liquidated it. He purchased what was left of Atari from Warner Communications, brought out a few of his pet projects which were named after members of his own family (ST seems awefully close to Sam Tramiels initials) and re-released the 7800 and 2600 jr primarilly to sell off the warehouses upon warehouses of games he had to unload, while supporting these systems just enough to keep them on life support in the retail market. Like I said, it comes down to the bottom line... Jack did not save Atari. Had he saved Atari, we would all be playing 128-Bit Atari games and sending emails on our brand new Atari computers. Instead we get all excited every time we see a commercial for Test Drive. Good job Jack.

Offline Overcast

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 03:59:33 pm »
Figures.

Offline decepticon

• Bury the past, rob us blind, leave nothing behind.
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 04:19:29 pm »
It's probably because there is a Windows7 hack out there that exploits Microsoft's 'gimmie' to big computer companies.

See - you and I; if we build a PC, we'll have to put in a code, activate online, etc, etc.

But Microsoft built Windows 7, so that if it detects a particular BIOS (Dell, HP, etc) that it activates itself as an 'OEM' install. This was exploited with a boot-loader that masquerades as an OEM BIOS to get around this.

So you can put the boot loader on any PC and it think it's a Dell - it never again asks for activation, etc - and I doubt there's little Microsoft can do about it, since MS can't force out a BIOS update to various machines.

Doesn't matter, there will still be ways around this too. Plus, someone bought the rights to Commodore's old name and they are making custom PC's - that are shipped with Ubuntu, but likely can run Windows. I suspect some companies won't be so easily pushed around by EugenicsSoft.... err Microshaft...

Here, want a REAL low profile PC? Check this out: http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_VICSlim.aspx

the latest windows 7 cracks don't even need to emulate a boot environment, don't ask me how i know :)

from what i gather UEFI is basically a standard attempting to be developed so that manufacturers don't have to reverse-engineer then re-reverse-engineer intel's specifications for motherboard interaction/control. not altogether bad, most bios' now have network capabilities (netboot) built into the firmware. as far as i can tell no features are truly being added, just an attempt to standardize rather than rip off (depend on) intel. not altogether horrible imo.

to correct an earlier point not all bios are 16 bit, dell's latest releases are 32.

what i believe we should focus on from the technology end is the war on the pc. you may have caught a whiff of the "cloud computing" hype. they want to centralize a users computer experience on their networks i.e. youtube, google, facebook. where devices don't really do anything themselves but plug in to the cloud, and you add data that they allow you to add.

t.h.e.y. are not happy with what you slaves are doing with your machines. t.h.e.y. do not like you ripping movies, t.h.e.y. do not like you ripping songs, t.h.e.y. do not like you plugging in all the tools you like into your PERSONAL computer, t.h.e.y. want you to plug your devices into their pre-approved software models, thus controlling what you are able to do with the technology in your hands.

be aware of this.
Ron Paul 2012...because Liberty is too big to fail.
Beat Bailout Barry!!!!!!!!

Offline EvadingGrid

• Toxophillite
  • Global Moderator
  • Rat Catcher
    • Mystery Babylon - MP3 Archive
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 03:08:06 am »
the latest windows 7 cracks don't even need to emulate a boot environment, don't ask me how i know :)

from what i gather UEFI is basically a standard attempting to be developed so that manufacturers don't have to reverse-engineer then re-reverse-engineer intel's specifications for motherboard interaction/control. not altogether bad, most bios' now have network capabilities (netboot) built into the firmware. as far as i can tell no features are truly being added, just an attempt to standardize rather than rip off (depend on) intel. not altogether horrible imo.

to correct an earlier point not all bios are 16 bit, dell's latest releases are 32.

what i believe we should focus on from the technology end is the war on the pc. you may have caught a whiff of the "cloud computing" hype. they want to centralize a users computer experience on their networks i.e. youtube, google, facebook. where devices don't really do anything themselves but plug in to the cloud, and you add data that they allow you to add.

t.h.e.y. are not happy with what you slaves are doing with your machines. t.h.e.y. do not like you ripping movies, t.h.e.y. do not like you ripping songs, t.h.e.y. do not like you plugging in all the tools you like into your PERSONAL computer, t.h.e.y. want you to plug your devices into their pre-approved software models, thus controlling what you are able to do with the technology in your hands.

Just do not have your head in the clouds !

Seriously, I have yet to see any real benefits of cloud computing. All I see is a bunch of lemmings following some crazed marketing hype rushing to embrace slavery.

be aware of this.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Global Gulag

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 10:15:45 am »
It seems to be that the Linux advocates are among the most vocal shills for the cloud computing agenda. You have Canonical with the Ubuntu One service and the Ubuntu Server OS which touts cloud computing like mad. And you also have the hybrid cloud/traditional OSes such as Peppermint OS and JoliOS.

Offline Overcast

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 11:27:54 am »
Just do not have your head in the clouds !

Seriously, I have yet to see any real benefits of cloud computing. All I see is a bunch of lemmings following some crazed marketing hype rushing to embrace slavery.

be aware of this.

Yes, I'm quite aware of cloud computing. Actually, part of my job is managing Citrix Servers - so indeed, I'm well aware.

But 'cloud computing' took a good hit in it's popularity not long ago when the FBI took down some legit services, this isn't the only story of this happening, either.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110621/22414214796/collateral-damage-hunt-lulzsec-fbi-takes-down-bunch-websites.shtml

Cloud computing has it's place I suppose, and from a legitimate business standpoint, it's a great idea. It's not so much that concept, as this lingering concept of 'NWO control' that subverts everything out there.

The better and more powerful inventions that man comes out with - the more the NWO; like a parasite, uses them for their own nefarious goals of control.