US soldiers 'killed Afghan civilians for sport and collected fingers as trophies

Author Topic: US soldiers 'killed Afghan civilians for sport and collected fingers as trophies  (Read 13801 times)

Anti_Illuminati

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/09/us-soldiers-afghan-civilians-fingers

Andrew Holmes, Michael Wagnon, Jeremy Morlock and Adam Winfield are four of the five Stryker soldiers who face murder charges. Photograph: Public Domain

US soldiers 'killed Afghan civilians for sport and collected fingers as trophies'
Soldiers face charges over secret 'kill team' which allegedly murdered at random and collected fingers as trophies of war

#  The Guardian, Thursday 9 September 2010

Twelve American soldiers face charges over a secret "kill team" that allegedly blew up and shot Afghan civilians at random and collected their fingers as trophies.

Five of the soldiers are charged with murdering three Afghan men who were allegedly killed for sport in separate attacks this year. Seven others are accused of covering up the killings and assaulting a recruit who exposed the murders when he reported other abuses, including members of the unit smoking hashish stolen from civilians.

In one of the most serious accusations of war crimes to emerge from the Afghan conflict, the killings are alleged to have been carried out by members of a Stryker infantry brigade based in Kandahar province in southern Afghanistan.

According to investigators and legal documents, discussion of killing Afghan civilians began after the arrival of Staff Sergeant Calvin Gibbs at forward operating base Ramrod last November. Other soldiers told the army's criminal investigation command that Gibbs boasted of the things he got away with while serving in Iraq and said how easy it would be to "toss a grenade at someone and kill them".

One soldier said he believed Gibbs was "feeling out the platoon".

Investigators said Gibbs, 25, hatched a plan with another soldier, Jeremy Morlock, 22, and other members of the unit to form a "kill team". While on patrol over the following months they allegedly killed at least three Afghan civilians. According to the charge sheet, the first target was Gul Mudin, who was killed "by means of throwing a fragmentary grenade at him and shooting him with a rifle", when the patrol entered the village of La Mohammed Kalay in January.

Morlock and another soldier, Andrew Holmes, were on guard at the edge of a poppy field when Mudin emerged and stopped on the other side of a wall from the soldiers. Gibbs allegedly handed Morlock a grenade who armed it and dropped it over the wall next to the Afghan and dived for cover. Holmes, 19, then allegedly fired over the wall.

Later in the day, Morlock is alleged to have told Holmes that the killing was for fun and threatened him if he told anyone.

The second victim, Marach Agha, was shot and killed the following month. Gibbs is alleged to have shot him and placed a Kalashnikov next to the body to justify the killing. In May Mullah Adadhdad was killed after being shot and attacked with a grenade.

The Army Times reported that a least one of the soldiers collected the fingers of the victims as souvenirs and that some of them posed for photographs with the bodies.

Five soldiers – Gibbs, Morlock, Holmes, Michael Wagnon and Adam Winfield – are accused of murder and aggravated assault among other charges. All of the soldiers have denied the charges. They face the death penalty or life in prison if convicted.

The killings came to light in May after the army began investigating a brutal assault on a soldier who told superiors that members of his unit were smoking hashish. The Army Times reported that members of the unit regularly smoked the drug on duty and sometimes stole it from civilians.

The soldier, who was straight out of basic training and has not been named, said he witnessed the smoking of hashish and drinking of smuggled alcohol but initially did not report it out of loyalty to his comrades. But when he returned from an assignment at an army headquarters and discovered soldiers using the shipping container in which he was billeted to smoke hashish he reported it.

Two days later members of his platoon, including Gibbs and Morlock, accused him of "snitching", gave him a beating and told him to keep his mouth shut. The soldier reported the beating and threats to his officers and then told investigators what he knew of the "kill team".

Following the arrest of the original five accused in June, seven other soldiers were charged last month with attempting to cover up the killings and violent assault on the soldier who reported the smoking of hashish. The charges will be considered by a military grand jury later this month which will decide if there is enough evidence for a court martial. Army investigators say Morlock has admitted his involvement in the killings and given details about the role of others including Gibbs. But his lawyer, Michael Waddington, is seeking to have that confession suppressed because he says his client was interviewed while under the influence of prescription drugs taken for battlefield injuries and that he was also suffering from traumatic brain injury.

"Our position is that his statements were incoherent, and taken while he was under a cocktail of drugs that shouldn't have been mixed," Waddington told the Seattle Times.

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
And the ones who aren't caught will be coming home to take up guns and tasers when dressed up in their police uniforms.
We have created our own enemies.

Wonder if they use their fingers to vote in Afghanistan.
Once proudly showing their fingers to indicate they had voted, now a new significance for fingers,
brought to them by the people 'spreading democracy'.
They hate us for our freedoms, right.

And  the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, 
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40

Offline birther truther tenther

• Against all forms of tyranny
accused him of "snitching", gave him a beating and told him to keep his mouth shut.

The soldier, who was straight out of basic training and has not been named, said he witnessed the smoking of hashish and drinking of smuggled alcohol but initially did not report it out of loyalty to his comrades. But when he returned from an assignment at an army headquarters and discovered soldiers using the shipping container in which he was billeted to smoke hashish he reported it.

The best way to avoid a "snitch", is to never ever get non-participants involved in your bending of the rules. 

If the guys wanted to smoke hashish, they shouldn't have used someone's else's property, especially with their name on it.  Now if a superior finds that shipping container with the hashish residue in it, guess who the first suspect is going to be?

Now the owner of the shipping container faces what is called the "prisoner's dilemma". This is basic Social Psychology.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/prisoner-dilemma/

Now since the owner of the shipping container had nothing to gain, and is technically a "victim" in this case, he has no choice but to "snitch".  This is the reason why the entire "kill squad" was unraveled.

Offline ryanwv

• The Ghost of Liberty
This is so bad and wrong. It is so out of hand over there these days. The troops are going crazy over there. They hate everything about that hot strange place. Some of them have been there for way too long. War twist a person`s mind into something very dark and different. They are also the people who apply for police work when they get home. We need higher standards for police. We cannot have police who are pretty much crazy from the heat.
The gentlemen from Tokyo MR. Ryan D. Smith

Offline Amos

This is so bad and wrong. It is so out of hand over there these days. The troops are going crazy over there. They hate everything about that hot strange place. Some of them have been there for way too long. War twist a person`s mind into something very dark and different. They are also the people who apply for police work when they get home. We need higher standards for police. We cannot have police who are pretty much crazy from the heat.
\

the chickens always come home to roost

Offline ryanwv

• The Ghost of Liberty
Taking our fine young man and women and twisting them into monsters it unacceptable. It is hard to question military life but the emotional effects of serving should be given a closer look for sure.

Offline Jackson Holly

• It's the TV, stupid!
    • JACKSON HOLLY'S OLD HOME PLACE

Bloody psychopaths.

St. Augustine: “The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it.
Let it loose; it will defend itself."

Offline donnay

• Live Free Or Die Trying!
Unfortunately this is what bloody battle does to some.  In Vietnam some guys would collect ears and teeth from their victims.

It is sad how war is not only a racket, but it desensitizes people of the fact that human beings are worth saving not murdering.
Please visit my website: https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/

Offline oyashango

• 43 Trillion and counting
Unfortunately this is what bloody battle does to some.  In Vietnam some guys would collect ears and teeth from their victims.

It is sad how war is not only a racket, but it desensitizes people of the fact that human beings are worth saving not murdering.

Percisley! It is clear this war is unwinable, and is heading in the same direction as Viet Nam. The murderous mayhem became out of control as American soliders realized that they could not and would not win that war.  The same here. These poor young men will never have peace in their souls when they return home. This is so very tragic.

Offline chris jones

A term used in Nam to label these guys was, they have gone- kill crazy.
Just my take, but there are guys that become KC, exposure to combat can accompish that, in short they loose it mentaly and emotionaly. I confess that I came close to crossing that line in Nam and I thank the God I pray to that I caught myself.
Ya, one point we must bear in mind, right here on our streets there are pyscos, killers, true nutbags who get off on killing, pyscos who enjoy it, this being said you will find those who were of this persuasion before they entered the boots.
I'm not making excuses for these guys one bit, they are guilty of murder and atrocities, thats it.
 Take it a step further, who is profiting from this war, from the blood of the innocents. The parasitic controllers sit in their leather arm chairs and orchestrate this insanity as they suck up the profits and increase their controll over the masses. (May they drown in in the lakes of blood they have created)
                    to add..Did you notice that this team was guarding the poppy feilds..

Offline donnay

A term used in Nam to label these guys was, they have gone- kill crazy.
Just my take, but there are guys that become KC, exposure to combat can accompish that, in short they loose it mentaly and emotionaly. I confess that I came close to crossing that line in Nam and I thank the God I pray to that I caught myself.
Ya, one point we must bear in mind, right here on our streets there are pyscos, killers, true nutbags who get off on killing, pyscos who enjoy it, this being said you will find those who were of this persuasion before they entered the boots.
I'm not making excuses for these guys one bit, they are guilty of murder and atrocities, thats it.
 Take it a step further, who is profiting from this war, from the blood of the innocents. The parasitic controllers sit in their leather arm chairs and orchestrate this insanity as they suck up the profits and increase their controll over the masses. (May they drown in in the lakes of blood they have created)
                    to add..Did you notice that this team was guarding the poppy feilds..

I agree.  Not to mention, I would lay odds that these poor men are placed on psychotropic drugs (causing more mental instability) because they were diagnosed with PTSD because of a 'Stop-loss' orders!

Every parent whose child is thinking about joining the military should be required to read, Smedley Darlington Bulter's book, 'War Is A Racket'.  *He was my husband's great Uncle, btw.

Offline chris jones

PS.
a quote :Morlock and another soldier,  Andrew Holmes, were on guard at the edge of a poppy field
                          Was this a slip on the part of the reporter, I don't thinks so!

charrington

The few bad apples argument is starting to wear out.

Offline chris jones

I agree.  Not to mention, I would lay odds that these poor men are placed on psychotropic drugs (causing more mental instability) because they were diagnosed with PTSD because of a 'Stop-loss' orders!

Every parent whose child is thinking about joining the military should be required to read, Smedley Darlington Bulter's book, 'War Is A Racket'.  *He was my husband's great Uncle, btw.
Donnay, wow, Smedly is to me the epitamy of concience awakened. he laid out the truth, bless his heart (RIP).
 It hits me like a ton of bricks the statement he made that once he left the military he could see the clearly, without the mask of military domination the cause and effect of his involvment. The man was a hero coming forward and freeing his soul.
  I have to say it, with every fiber of my being I am convinced that concience, that wipering voice, is the direct communication  to GOD.

Offline donnay

"The soldier, who was straight out of basic training and has not been named, said he witnessed the smoking of hashish and drinking of smuggled alcohol but initially did not report it out of loyalty to his comrades."

I also like how they link these guys and throw in the word, 'comrades'.  Most people would instantly think, the negative connotation, 'communism', even though the word means "friend", "colleague", or "ally".

It is also interesting to note one of the guy's name:  Morlock

I am sure just a coincidence, right?   :-\

H. G. Wells 1895 novel, The Time Machine.  The Morlocks and Eloi.  The Morlocks treat the Eloi as cattle, and the Eloi did not resist being captured, they were completely docile.

Offline Geolibertarian

• Global Moderator
  • 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB! www.911truth.org
Here's a possible causative factor that will likely get little if any mention in the corporate whore "news" media, since it would draw unwanted attention to those atop the military chain of command:

--------------------------------

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2007/08/medics-slam-dru

Tactical Pharmacology: Frankenstein Soldiers?

By David Hambling
Wired.com
August 30, 2007

We’ve looked recently at the research into drugs, (sorry, ‘calmatives’) for disabling opponents or rendering them helpless, and the novel methods of delivering them. A new report from the British Medical Council cautions about such weapons. But there is also the possibility that new drugs under development might also be used for other purposes. These can include ‘enhancing’ soldier performance in ways which might not be entirely desirable.

Steve Wright notes in the Herald Tribune:

Julian Perry Robinson of the Harvard Sussex Program, for example, has chronicled government experiments with hallucinatory drugs, human regulatory peptides, chemicals for interrogation, pain producers and physical irritants based on chemicals found in sources from poison ivy to the common toad…

We could also see troops going into action with chemically-heightened aggression, as well as resistance to fear, pain and fatigue. It is not science fiction to suggest that we might see military pharmacology that can remove feelings of guilt or post-traumatic stress. The economic temptation is strong: five times more soldiers suffer mental than physical wounds in war.

Bravery in pill form might be useful: being able to banish jitters and ensure that every soldier is free from nerves has obvious advantages. And nobody wants to see soldiers suffering from post-traumatic stress after the event. But it’s a slippery slope. Do you want soldiers to carry out their mission regardless of personal risk because they have no fear? Or push themselves beyond what is physically sustainable because they have no fatigue? Worse, do you want them to be killing machines who follow orders without compunction?

[Continued...]

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/march282010/zombie-attack-pl.php

Dangerous Drugs for Combat Soldiers
Zombies on the Attack

Dr. Phil Leveque
Salem-News.com
March 28 2010

Anti-depressant drugs are doubly dangerous. Most of them cause a severe drug hangover which is far worse than alcohol. Their adverse side effects are possibly/probably causing or worsening PTSD.

(MOLALLA, Ore.) - I could NOT believe what I was seeing on ABC TV News March 24, 2010; that the Army Shrinkologists (Psychiatrists) were prescribing zombifying drugs to frontline combat troops.

Behind the mirrors, all is not as it appears... The pressures of
service in places like Iraq take their toll on the futures of these
young Americans; being doped up on hard drugs is the federal
government's answer, and it is the wrong answer. Salem-
News.com photo near Balad, Iraq by Tim King

I was a Combat Infantryman, Battalion Scout, Pointman and Forward Observer in WWII. I am not only lucky but astonished that I lived through it. I can thoroughly empathize with the frontline troops in Iraq et cetera and what they are being prescribed as some of the most dangerous zombifying drugs – the anti-depressants such as Prozac, Zoloft and Paxil. These drugs really scramble the brain and have caused many suicides AND accidental deaths by overdose.

These drugs are supposed to be treating these Combat Soldiers for Combat Anxiety and Stress but in many/most cases they could be doing the opposite.

Near the end of WWII in Europe I was barely existing on K-rations, getting about 3 hours of sleep a night and didn’t get any of my clothes off for 6 straight weeks. It was go, go, go. We got so we just didn’t care about anything anymore. We were zombified by absolute fatigue. Even fear had little meaning anymore.

[Continued...]

--------------------------------
"Abolish all taxation save that upon land values." -- Henry George

"If our nation can issue a dollar bond, it can issue a dollar bill." -- Thomas Edison

http://schalkenbach.org
http://www.monetary.org
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=203330.0

Offline donnay

Great find, Geo!

They will more likely blame the smoking of hashish and drinking of smuggled alcohol as the culprit rather than bring attention to the fact that these soldiers were on some kind of psychotropic drugs--or the side effects of having all of the above.

Offline Jackson Holly

• It's the TV, stupid!
    • JACKSON HOLLY'S OLD HOME PLACE

It is "legalized" mayhem and murder for fun and profit.

St. Augustine: “The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it.
Let it loose; it will defend itself."

Offline chris jones

It is "legalized" mayhem and murder for fun and profit.

Hi Holly. You bet, its fun and profit for bloodsukers running and prifiting from the insanity.

Offline chris jones

My two cents after reading the posts. Does anyone beleive that during the course of wars  historically that these attrocities were not commited by  segments of combatants.
My ulcers are acting up as I write this. I saw a film recently, the bastards  /brad pitts. Its ironic, here are a bunch of guys, torturing and murdering german soldiers, but the general concesus it was just hunky dory, after all they were Nazis getting ripped to peices. I'm preped for a rant but I'm going to do my best not to, just one point.
There is an comparrison here somewhere, the German people were duped, suked into Adolfs game from childhood they were indocrinated, brainwashed. Obvious isn't it, sure it is.
How about us, tell me there has been no manipulation. Im old and wrinckled but I remember well the brainwashing of the 50's. let me give ya some examples of laterday mentality.
The only good commie is dead commie..Kill the kids before they grow up to be commies, if its red its dead,
their finger is on the nuke button, they will invade our shores, and on and on. FEAR dominated the mind of the people, the elites loved it.........I get sick thinking about the future being created  for Americas children.

Offline ryanwv

• The Ghost of Liberty
It is not the first time we have done bad things during the course of war. What makes it extra bad is now there is no excuse or reason to justify our current actions.

Offline Geolibertarian

• Global Moderator
  • 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB! www.911truth.org
It is not the first time we have done bad things during the course of war. What makes it extra bad is now there is no excuse or reason to justify our current actions.

According to the banker-owned U.S. government and its lapdogs in the corporate whore "news" media, there is an excuse:

"Abolish all taxation save that upon land values." -- Henry George

"If our nation can issue a dollar bond, it can issue a dollar bill." -- Thomas Edison

http://schalkenbach.org
http://www.monetary.org
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=203330.0

Offline Femacamper

• JOIN THE RESISTANCE
    • TRUNEWS
They also have been caught collecting trophy skulls and messing around with corpses.
If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. Live free or die. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Offline donnay

They also have been caught collecting trophy skulls and messing around with corpses.

Pretty satanic, IMHO.

Offline Femacamper

• JOIN THE RESISTANCE
    • TRUNEWS
Pretty satanic, IMHO.

Standard procedure these days.
If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. Live free or die. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!