Classic Books Banned in Schools and Libraries...Fahrenheit 451 Becoming Reality

Author Topic: Classic Books Banned in Schools and Libraries...Fahrenheit 451 Becoming Reality  (Read 36613 times)

Offline attietewd

According to an article in AARP this month (Sept), a variety of books are being banned in schools and libraries across the US for being too political, having too much sex or being irreligious, and socially offensive.  Many of the books have been considered classics.  To name a few;  Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Animal Farm, The Diary of Anne Frank, Uncle Tom's Cabin, The Scarlet Letter, The Grapes of Wrath, Catcher In The Rye, The Biography of Benjamin Franklin, A Farewell To Arms.  The list goes on and on and on.  To see the full list go to the following AARP link. 

http://pubs.aarp.org/aarpbulletin/201009_NJ/?pg=39&pm=2&u1=friend

“Thus, condemnation will never come to those who are in Christ Jesus…”

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
The LIST.
Books you must NEVER read.

Too Political:

* Uncle Tom’s Cabin
     * All Quiet on the Western Front
     * A Farewell to Arms
     * The Grapes of Wrath
     * For Whom the Bell Tolls
     * Animal Farm**
     * 1984**

* Doctor Zhivago
     * Slaughterhouse-Five
     * In the Spirit of Crazy Horse

Too Much Sex:
Madame Bovary

* Tess of the d’Urbervilles
     * Ulysses
     * The Sun Also Rises
     * Lady Chatterley’s Lover
     * Tropic of Cancer
     * Lolita
     * Peyton Place
     * Rabbit, Run
     * I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
     * Jaws
     * Forever
     * The Prince of Tides
     * Beloved
     * How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents

Irreligious:

* On the Origin of Species
     * The Lord of the Rings trilogy
     * The Last Temptation of Christ
     * Bless Me, Ultima
     * Harry Potter Series

Socially Offensive:

* The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
     * The Scarlet Letter
     * The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn
     * As I Lay Dying
     * Brave New World**
     * Gone With the Wind
     * Of Mice and Men
     * Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
     * The Catcher in the Rye
     * Fahrenheit 451***
     * To Kill a Mockingbird
     * James and the Giant Peach
     * Catch-22
     * A Clockwork Orange
     * One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
     * In Cold Blood
     * Cujo
     * The Color Purple
     * Ordinary People
     * A Thousand Acres

** Extra points for irony.
*** Massive bonus points for extreme irony.
And  the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, 
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40

EvadingGrid

This story needs your comments !

Banning books like 1984 is Crossing The Rubicon

Offline Brocke

• Eleutherophiliac & Drapetomaniac
  • Global Moderator
  • I am not a number, I am a free man!
    • Vimeo page
I weep for the future.  :'(

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. - ~Friedrich Nietzsche

EvadingGrid

I weep for the future.  :'(

We have no future if they get away with this little stunt...

The only step towards tyranny left is the public burning of these books

Offline Dok

• end times and current events
Banned Books Week: Celebrating the Freedom to Read
September 25−October 2, 2010

Banned Books Week (BBW) is an annual event celebrating the freedom to read and the importance of the First Amendment.  Held during the last week of September, Banned Books Week highlights the benefits of free and open access to information while drawing attention to the harms of censorship by spotlighting actual or attempted bannings of books across the United States.

Intellectual freedom—the freedom to access information and express ideas, even if the information and ideas might be considered unorthodox or unpopular—provides the foundation for Banned Books Week.  BBW stresses the importance of ensuring the availability of unorthodox or unpopular viewpoints for all who wish to read and access them.

The books featured during Banned Books Week have been targets of attempted bannings.  Fortunately, while some books were banned or restricted, in a majority of cases the books were not banned, all thanks to the efforts of librarians, teachers, booksellers, and members of the community to retain the books in the library collections.  Imagine how many more books might be challenged—and possibly banned or restricted—if librarians, teachers, and booksellers across the country did not use Banned Books Week each year to teach the importance of our First Amendment rights and the power of literature, and to draw attention to the danger that exists when restraints are imposed on the availability of information in a free society.

http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/banned/bannedbooksweek/index.cfm
HOW TO BE SAVED
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/how_to_be_saved.html

Ye Must Be Born Again!
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Basics/ye_must_be_born_again.htm

True Salvation & the TRUE Gospel/Good News!
http://www.contendingfortruth.com/?p=1060

how to avoid censorship ;)

EvadingGrid

RED ALERT

Offline Dok

The AARP article is deceptive in its article. Banned book week has been going on for quite a while now, it show cases books that have been banned in the past or people have tried to get banned. No one is banning any of these books. sheesh.

but im quite sure you guys would be allright with banning Al Gores books, right?
HOW TO BE SAVED

Ye Must Be Born Again!

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
The AARP article is deceptive in its article. Banned book week has been going on for quite a while now, it show cases books that have been banned in the past or people have tried to get banned. No one is banning any of these books. sheesh.

but im quite sure you guys would be allright with banning Al Gores books, right?

No, actually. I want to see all those books, including Ecoscience, continue to be offered by libraries, in book stores, and on the internet. I don't advocate ANY censorship. They expose themselves in those books. Great companion pieces to books like 1984.
Cynical much, Dok?
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  ye have done it unto me.

Offline Brocke

• Eleutherophiliac & Drapetomaniac
  • Global Moderator
  • I am not a number, I am a free man!
    • Vimeo page

And destroy the evidence?! Heck no.

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. - ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Dok

HOW TO BE SAVED

Ye Must Be Born Again!

Offline tritonman

Lol, Dok, you say that like you think it would be a bad thing. ;D

Damascus

lol at banning Fahrenheit 451, Oh! the irony.  ::) All the knowledge that is fit to be thought, brought to you by your loving government.

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
Maybe it is time to up the ante of truth in those libraries since they got the shelf space.

Outfit these libraries with the following:

The Secret Team
The Last Circle
Operation Garden Plot
An Act of State
Committee of 300
Eugenics Records Office Pamphlet 10
None Dare Call it Conspiracy
Tragedy and Hope
Ecoscience
Wall Street and the Rise of Hitler
The Transfer Agreement
War on the Weak
Your Health and Sanity In The Age of Treason
Report from Iron Mountain
Behold a Pale Horse
Pentagon Aliens
Whiteout
Illuminati: Facts and Fiction
The Island of Dr. Moreau
9-11 Road to Tyranny
The Bilderberg Group
The Late Great USA
The New World Order
The Resistance Manifesto
End the Fed
The Underground History of American Education
9/11 Synthetic Terror
Unauthorized Biography of George HW Bush
Wealth of Nations
Killing Hope
Global Tyranny Step By Step
Trance Formation of America
Open Conspiracy
Holy Blood, Holy Grail Conspiracy of Knights Templar
Conspiracy
Dope, Inc - Britain's Opium War Against the U.S.
The Shape of Things to Come
History of Jacobism VOL 1
Free Masonry- Its Pretensions
Foundations of the World Republic
Towards One World
One World
Secret Agenda - The United States Government
The Proud Internationalist
The Iron Triangle
The Pivot of Civilization
NATO's Secret Armies
Order out of Chaos
Morals And Dogma
Secrets of the Federal Reserve the London Connection
The protocols of the elders of Zion (Zionism, not Judaism)
Proofs of the Real Existence, and Dangerous Tendency, of Illuminism
Codex Magica
The Anglo American Establishment
Hostage to the Devi
Behind the Lodge Door
The Rosicrucian Enlightenment
Rule by Secrecy
Blood on the Altar
Bloodlines of the Illuminati
America’s Secret Establishment
Mass Control
Saucers of the Illuminati
Lucifer’s Lodge
Should a Christian be a Mason?
Marx & Satan
Queen Margot
The French Revolution
The Gnostic Empire Strikes Back
The Ascendancy of the Scientific Dictatorship
Ravaged by the New Age
Secret Societies and Psychological Warfare
The Freemasons
The Rockefellers
Trilogy on American Political Witchcraft
The Secret Teaching of All Ages
Three Books of Occult Philosophy

How about...

THE US CONSTITUTION?

Is that banned yet?
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline donnay

• Live Free Or Die Trying!

How about...

THE US CONSTITUTION?

Is that banned yet?

It's on it's way out as we speak!   :'(

We need to get as many copies of the books being banned as possible.  I already have many in my own library--a few duplicates too!
"Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace." ~ Rod Serling
"Cops today are nothing but an armed tax collector" ~ Frank Serpico
"To be normal, to drink Coca-Cola and eat Kentucky Fried Chicken is to be in a conspiracy against yourself."
"People that don't want to make waves sit in stagnant waters."

Offline ProteanIsBack

• A newby indeed!
    • ListenLittleMan

FYI--The FDA burned Wilhelm Reich's books in the late 50s---there was no public outcry from the cud chewers.
http://www.orgonelab.org/fda.htm
First there was Protean, now the sequel - Protean's Revenge.

Offline birther truther tenther

• Against all forms of tyranny
How about...

THE US CONSTITUTION?

Is that banned yet?

It's on it's way out as we speak!

Well, at least not in Arizona. The State requires ALL classrooms in public schools and colleges/universities to display a legible copy of the Bill of Rights and US Constitution, and requiring that those displays to be manufactured in the United States.

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/47leg/2r/bills/hb2583c.pdf

Viper

The LIST.
Books you must NEVER read.

Too Political:

* A Farewell to Arms Hemingway
     * The Grapes of Wrath Steinbeck
     * For Whom the Bell Tolls Hemingway

I love these two writers, Cannery Row by John Steinbeck is one of my FAV books of all time.

Offline America2

• Romans 10:9-10 King James Version

According to an article in AARP this month (Sept), a variety of books are being banned in schools and libraries across the US for being too political, having too much sex or being irreligious, and socially offensive.  Many of the books have been considered classics.  To name a few;  Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Animal Farm, The Diary of Anne Frank, Uncle Tom's Cabin, The Scarlet Letter, The Grapes of Wrath, Catcher In The Rye, The Biography of Benjamin Franklin, A Farewell To Arms.  The list goes on and on and on.  To see the full list go to the following AARP link. 

http://pubs.aarp.org/aarpbulletin/201009_NJ/?pg=39&pm=2&u1=friend

To boot, alot of them are VERY NWO-ordery. I went to a Catholic high school, and read most of them in my English classes.

Strange how for many years, they were used in the education system to indoctrinate and brainwash children, and now they're pulling them off the shelves. Maybe it's come to a point now where these writings are very, very close to become reality in the very near future?

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated

Well, at least not in Arizona. The State requires ALL classrooms in public schools and colleges/universities to display a legible copy of the Bill of Rights and US Constitution, and requiring that those displays to be manufactured in the United States.

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/47leg/2r/bills/hb2583c.pdf

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline Scootle

The origin of species?! Do they not want people to read the subtitle or something lol.
The truth will set you free
From global tyranny
Wake up American slobs
9/11 was an inside job
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OntBg2qwk_M&fmt=35

Century of Manipulation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mujq-C1UAw0

... Here's Tom with the weather!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CCIcjIngLA

Offline attietewd

If these books are removed, the youth of today will not even miss them.  Most kids today, can't even read well enough to comprehend what they say.  This is grievous.

posted by Dok:but im quite sure you guys would be allright with banning Al Gores books, right?

Dok for that comment, it shows me you don't understand freedom. Your comment sounds like something that would come from the enemy.  They have a double-standard and believe most people do too.  In their sight therefore they are justified of their actions.

Offline citizenx

According to an article in AARP this month (Sept), a variety of books are being banned in schools and libraries across the US for being too political, having too much sex or being irreligious, and socially offensive.  Many of the books have been considered classics.  To name a few;  Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Animal Farm, The Diary of Anne Frank, Uncle Tom's Cabin, The Scarlet Letter, The Grapes of Wrath, Catcher In The Rye, The Biography of Benjamin Franklin, A Farewell To Arms.  The list goes on and on and on.  To see the full list go to the following AARP link.  
As an English teacher, this saddens me to no end.  The American jihadis are really going to far.  It makes me furious, too.  This culture war calls out for a culture jam.  It makes me want to buy books and place them on the shelves in the library myself.

It also makes me mad as hell at the fundies on this very forum that have called for the banning of books.  I say truth fears no book.

Many of these books were books I had read by high school.  All I had read by or in college.  That a school or public library would not deign to carry these titles is ridiculous.

With the possible exception of Uncle Tom's Cabin, each of these books should be required reading in schools IMO and were, I believe, at one time in California where I taught and went to University:  Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Animal Farm, The Diary of Anne Frank, The Scarlet Lettter, and Catcher in the Rye by high school and The Grapes of Wrath, The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, and A Farewell to Arms should still be required of all college English majors IMO as well at the very least.

You can't be a very well-read person without having read all of these books.  This is beyond shocking and scandalous.

It is time for secularists and constitutionalists to take back our republic.  What part of "no established religion" don't these people understand?

Enough is enough.

As far as I am concerned the gloves are off.

Offline America2

• Romans 10:9-10 King James Version
As an English teacher, this saddens me to no end.  The American jihadis are really going to far.  It makes me furious, too.  This culture war calls out for a culture jam.  It makes me want to buy books and place them on the shelves in the library myself.

It also makes me mad as hell at the fundies on this very forum that have called for the banning of books.  I say truth fears no book.

Many of these books were books I had read by high school.  All I had read by or in college.  That a school or public library would not deign to carry these titles is ridiculous.

With the possible exception of Uncle Tom's Cabin, each of these books should be required reading in schools IMO and were, I believe, at one time in California where I taught and went to University:  Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Animal Farm, The Diary of Anne Frank, The Scarlet Lettter, and Catcher in the Rye by high school and The Grapes of Wrath, The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, and A Farewell to Arms should still be required of all college English majors IMO as well at the very least.

You can't be a very well-read person without having read all of these books.  This is beyond shocking and scandalous.

It is time for secularists and constitutionalists to take back our republic.  What part of "no established religion" don't these people understand?

Enough is enough.

As far as I am concerned the gloves are off.

But alot of these books are being used to condition the young ones - remember Reagan's assassin had "Catcher in the Rye" in his backpocket at the time of the shooting(yeah, he was the patsy in the whole attempt, but still...). Ditto 1984 - it's as if they're little by little encouraging kids that living in a communist state is GOOD.

Overall - the education system has been THE starting point for all of these draconian agendas brainwashing kids. It's not just the books, it's other stuff too. For example, in my Catholic school "Religion" class in 1989, we watched a Scott Baio movie that had a pro-homosexual agenda(ie-Baio played a high school football player who finds out his best buddy and teammate is gay). And this was in *1989* when we watched the movie(when the "homosexual agenda" didn't even exist then).

As you can see, all of these movements like feminism, gay rights, environmental rights, etc, etc weren't "ground-breaking grassroots" like the MSM keeps hyping them up to be. They've been indoctrinating kids with this in schools LONG before that.

Offline citizenx

Yeah, ban 1984 because it is used to make mind-controlled slaves.

Double facepalm.

I don't even know what to say to that kind of interpretation of Orwell's work.

Wow.

As for Scott Baio, I don't think he can make you gay. I think you would have to be gay to begin with.

As for this guy:

I don't know.

Online chris jones

Ya, give em GAGA..
I didn't know this was going on. Looks as though they started the fire with the consitution and bill of rights.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
But alot of these books are being used to condition the young ones - remember Reagan's assassin had "Catcher in the Rye" in his backpocket at the time of the shooting(yeah, he was the patsy in the whole attempt, but still...). Ditto 1984 - it's as if they're little by little encouraging kids that living in a communist state is GOOD.

Overall - the education system has been THE starting point for all of these draconian agendas brainwashing kids. It's not just the books, it's other stuff too. For example, in my Catholic school "Religion" class in 1989, we watched a Scott Baio movie that had a pro-homosexual agenda(ie-Baio played a high school football player who finds out his best buddy and teammate is gay). And this was in *1989* when we watched the movie(when the "homosexual agenda" didn't even exist then).

As you can see, all of these movements like feminism, gay rights, environmental rights, etc, etc weren't "ground-breaking grassroots" like the MSM keeps hyping them up to be. They've been indoctrinating kids with this in schools LONG before that.

dude/dudette....way off track IMO

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator

When I was in high school, everyone in my class was reading 1984, and Brave New World. Nobody thought those were societies that should be emulated. They found both books horrifying and there was lots of discussion about 'what if...' and what could be done about 'big brother'. So here we are; and people are starting to notice the cameras on every street corner, in shopping malls, stores, schools, office buildings, doctors offices, etc. They have a level of consciousness about what might be happening because many have read these books.

It wasn't "indoctrination" - it was education. I shudder to think of how 'acceptable' this tightening grip of tryannical controls would be if people didn't have that common 'understanding' learned by reading those books.

Banning books is never a good idea. You have to give some credit to the natural desires that people have to live free lives; the books show them possibilities both good and bad.

(** And by the way, the patsy with "Catcher in the Rye" was an MKUltra victim; and that book was his "prop". You were supposed to think he was a random nutcase who went off the rails. See how well that worked? You can find out more about this, and about the use of Catcher in the Rye specifically by starting here... )

Offline attietewd

When I was in high school, everyone in my class was reading 1984, and Brave New World. Nobody thought those were societies that should be emulated. They found both books horrifying and there was lots of discussion about 'what if...' and what could be done about 'big brother'. So here we are; and people are starting to notice the cameras on every street corner, in shopping malls, stores, schools, office buildings, doctors offices, etc. They have a level of consciousness about what might be happening because many have read these books.

It wasn't "indoctrination" - it was education. I shudder to think of how 'acceptable' this tightening grip of tryannical controls would be if people didn't have that common 'understanding' learned by reading those books.

Banning books is never a good idea. You have to give some credit to the natural desires that people have to live free lives; the books show them possibilities both good and bad.

(** And by the way, the patsy with "Catcher in the Rye" was an MKUltra victim; and that book was his "prop". You were supposed to think he was a random nutcase who went off the rails. See how well that worked? You can find out more about this, and about the use of Catcher in the Rye specifically by starting here... )

Yes the book was a trigger.  It was also revealed that they were doing this (mkultra) through the movie Conspiracy Theory starring Mel Gibson who coincidentally carried the same book around and would receive phone calls concerning the book to also trigger him in to post-hypnotic suggestions, "Manchurian Candidate" style.

Offline citizenx

Ummm...in real life, or the movie?

Offline attietewd

Ummm...in real life, or the movie?

in the movie

Offline citizenx

Oh, thank God.

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
in the movie

Yes, in the movie only. In fact, in the article I reference above, the author writes....

I am not in any way suggesting that “The Catcher in the Rye” was written for the CIA as a triggering device intended to set off a post-hypnotic suggestion.

What I am speculating is that his [Salinger's] former associates in the intelligence community either in an effort to mock him (more likely) or to discredit him (less likely) by demonstrating to the world at large that such works, The Catcher in the Rye  is dangerous to the minds of our country’s youth, ostensibly driving them to madness but more likely dangerous for their ability to make us question are role in conforming to a consumer society.

So The Catcher in the Rye was not a 'real life' trigger; but was used (in the author's opinion) as a way to mock Salinger; who had the audacity to write a book that would "make us question the role of conforming to a consumer society".

Offline citizenx

That sounds more likely.

Offline rustygunn

Download all these books and documents:

http://www.americandeception.com/

Does anybody know of a good portable non eye straining PDF viewer?  I want to go through all of these without having to sit in front of the computer and strain my eyes all day. 

Contained in these documents is The Don Bell Reports:
http://www.kingsbenchletter.com/donbell/

Offline LivingintheMatrix

• Facebook Account
I'm reading a book in my class by Howard Zinn: A peoples History of the U.S. that apparently is banned in my state.

This is such b.s., i'd rather have someone read a book about sex and violence than play a video game or watch a film with it.

And thats another thing, they bann books with too much sex and violence in it, but partically every movie and tv show out right now has some form of fulgar language, violence, and sex in it.

Download all these books and documents:

http://www.americandeception.com/

Does anybody know of a good portable non eye straining PDF viewer?  I want to go through all of these without having to sit in front of the computer and strain my eyes all day. 

Contained in these documents is The Don Bell Reports:
http://www.kingsbenchletter.com/donbell/

YEah that's one of the reasons why i don't like ebooks, even if its just a hundred pages,  i can't see myself reading all those the same way i read books.

By the way i posted this in someone elses topic but does anyone know what parts in the revised version of Carroll's "Tradegy and Hope" were changed?
A government which does not act in accordance with the law forfeits the right to be called a government and cannot expect its people to obey the law.-Sir Robert Ker Thompson, Defeating Communist Insurgency: Experiences from Malaya and Vietnam(1966)

Offline citizenx

What state are you in that Zinn's book is banned?

Banned how?  Schools can't carry it?  Libraries?  Book stores?

If you don't wish to say what state you are in, I totally understand.

What was the rationale for banning it -- do you know?

Offline Dok

If these books are removed, the youth of today will not even miss them.  Most kids today, can't even read well enough to comprehend what they say.  This is grievous.

Dok for that comment, it shows me you don't understand freedom. Your comment sounds like something that would come from the enemy.  They have a double-standard and believe most people do too.  In their sight therefore they are justified of their actions.

dont quite think you understand what i was saying.  :'(
HOW TO BE SAVED

Ye Must Be Born Again!

Offline attietewd

dont quite think you understand what i was saying.  :'(

Sorry if I misunderstood you. 

Offline dre4dwolf

• Real Eyes Realize Real Lies
I grew up reading F451, must of read the book 2 or 3  times in school......
I have a copy actually that I stole from the school by accident ;p... forgot to bring it back to the library... maybe I should wait till they ban the book and go back after 9 years and request to have it put back in ;p....

What is this Nazi germany? whats next? the burning of books and "cleaning of the dictionary"?

I better go get a few copies of these books just to preserve them.... sheesh watch they start raiding peoples homes for these books and other "contraband"....

They are really getting pushy.
 :'(

Should start preserving the books as PDFS online, most of them are like over 60 years old I think the copyrights are no longer attached? unless I am mistaken? These books are pretty much... or rather where public books that many people have read ... I'm guessing they are public domain now?
We should start a project to preserve these books for newer generations... god knows with whats coming they will probably burn every last copy.
1984 http://www.filefront.com/17851888/1984.pdf
Animal Farm http://www.filefront.com/17851889/Animal Farm - George Orwell.pdf

O and WTF the Grapes of Wrath??? why???? thats just a really good book...
Seriously want to end the FED? Find out how the banks are stealing peoples homes illegally !!!! Expose the banking fraud that is destroying our nation Before it is too late!!!! READ AND EDUCATE YOURSELF HERE ARE THE TOOLS:
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=199105.msg1183547#msg1183547