Your Health and Sanity In The Age of Treason
© 1958, R. Swinburne Clymer
Chapter 1 - Section 3
Adulterated Food in Restaurants
Perhaps the spot most sensitive in the processing and preparation of food for consumption by the public, are the restaurants.
It is estimated that more than two-thirds of the working people in America eat in restaurants. Comparatively few of them give any thought to the food they consume so long as it appeals to the taste. Few are aware of how greatly the foods are adulterated with additives and preservatives, or how it is prepared.
It is said that it requires a brave or a foolish person to expose the adulteration of foods by the processors. It is certain that it requires even more self-assurance to deal frankly with the preparation of foods as served in restaurants. The National Police Gazette, April 1958, "entered where angels fear to tread," and our quotations are from that magazine's article:
"HOW RESTAURANTS POISON YOUR FOODS"
By George McGrath
That Tasty Hamburger, French Fries, Even Milk May Contain Hidden Killers
"When you go to your favorite restaurant and sit down to a juicy steak, French fries, and a refreshing glass of milk, you may be doing your stomach more harm than good.
"There are probably hidden killers in that food.
Many profit-hungry restaurants in America today are getting away with murder(1) and you could by the victim.
Because of lax food and drug laws(2) these restaurants are recklessly serving dangerous chemical preservatives in their foods - and some of those chemicals can kill you.
An embalming liquid, a photographic developing fluid, a deadly soldering chemical and an anti-freeze solution are just a few of the poisons you may be served when you order your meat and vegetables, of an innocent looking glass of milk, in a public eating place.
The wholesale adulteration of food in America to say is destroying the nation's health. Deaths may be attributed to cancer, bleeding ulcers or cirrhosis of the liver - but the real cause is the accumulation of poisons in the food we eat.
Restaurants where food is treated with chemicals to prevent spoiling are responsible for many cases of sickness and even deaths.(3)
Unscrupulous restauranteurs are able to get away with this flagrant misuse of Toxic additives because in some states there are no laws to regulate the handling of food.
Federal Food and Drug Administration laws only cover interstate shipments of food, but restaurants are regulated by local and state authorities.
This leaves the public at the mercy of restaurant owners who take advantage of ineffective regulations, and corrupt local authorities. Often there are no controls at all."============================
(1) To be fair and just in our conclusions and judgments, this statement should be modified. It is entirely possible that many of those engaged in the restaurant business, or in the preparation of food for the public, actually are not aware of the additives and preservatives in the food they serve, and have no knowledge of health cookery; simply following a routine they have been taught, under the impression: "It was good enough for my fathers, it must be good enough for those not to be serves."
(2) Up to the present time, legislation for the control of the preparation of food, and the additives made use of, has been so worded that any attempt in the enforcement of such Laws has served no good purpose, for the reason that the government has had to prove that the additives and preservatives so universally used in the processing of foods and drinks are detrimental. Until that has been done, the processors may continue to sue them without being held responsible. The people who consume these foods become the victims, whether this leads to cancer, the various forms of muscular dystrophies or mental deterioration. "Let the buyer beware" should be printed on all labels of foods not guaranteed pure by the producers or processors.
(3) If the purchasers of package foods were to make it a practice to examine the labels of such foods they would be astonished at the number of preservatives used.
The majority of children are served one or the other of the many breakfast foods. Their immature system is extremely sensitive to everything in foods detrimental to the normal development of mind and body. Many of these preservatives interfere with digestion and the assimilation. This may bring about malnutrition and the improper functioning of the vital organs. Should anyone wonder why so many children become afflicted with polio and the various other muscular and mental diseases?
Embalming Fluid in Food
"Although the Food and Drug Administration has outlawed the use of Formaldehyde it is still widely used in restaurants where there are no local regulations to enforce the ban.
Formaldehyde(4) is an embalming fluid. Taken internally, this chemical is extremely irritating to mucous membranes that line the stomach and intestines, and can cause internal bleeding, suppressed urine, dizziness and coma.
But although formaldehyde may be deadly to your health it can save restauranteurs money by preserving milk and other foods from deteriorating.
Whether through ignorance of the harm it can cause, or from a ruthless profit motive, it is a fact that in many restaurants this embalming fluid is added to breakfast cereals in order to keep them "fresh" for several days.
There is another aspect of this shameful adulteration of food sold in restaurants, and in this case dairy producers are the culprits.
Formaldehyde is added to inferior milk to conceal its poor quality, and to preserve it when it is sold in bulk.
Because they know that the milk will be stored for several days, many dairymen add the chemical to milk sold to restaurants.
Milk treated with Formaldehyde is also sold to ice cream manufacturers, who in turn sell their adulterated produce to restaurants where it remains ‘fresh' for long periods.
So if you and your family eat in restaurants where there is no responsible supervision, you may be dosed with Formaldehyde in cereals, milk and ice cream.(5)
This is only one of the dangerous chemicals that you expose your family to when you take them out to dine.
The reckless use of Benzoate of Soda(6) is another facet of this deplorable food scandal.
Medical authorities warn that this chemical can "cause nausea and it has been reported fatal in a sensitive individual.
But although it contains dangerous Toxic properties, the Food and Drug Administration permits the use of benzoate of soda in the interstate food industry, limiting the amount to not more than one part in1,000.(7)
However, itis an alarming fact that many state and local health authorities(8) have given restaurant owners a free hand in the use of this chemical."============================
(4) This has been dealt with in former sections of this Chapter.
(5) All who have become "health conscious," especially parents, should heed the warning: "Let the buyer beware," and not permit their children to drink milk, or east cereals (these are now nearly all to be had in individual packages) without first examining the labels. In doing so many doctor bills might be saved, not to mention the long hours of worry when avoidable sickness strikes.
(6) This is an adulterant almost universally employed in practically all but the best restaurants. It is used in making mashed potatoes and in almost all fresh (?) vegetables, especially those it will "freshen" up. In almost all instances, the taste is readily recognized. The safest method to pursue is to order only baked potatoes instead of mashed or French fries, and to sidestep all boiled vegetables and order salads instead. Stale vegetables are quickly recognized when served as salads.
(7) The smallest amount is undesirable. Its harmfulness is not as quickly manifest in physical ailments as interference with digestion. Think of the logic! Interstate it may be harmful, possible even dangerous to health, but in your own state!!!!
(8) Such health authorities are, from an actual health standpoint, recreant to their duties and, responsibilities to their constituents.
The Dangerous Chemicals
"In some restaurants, this is what happens:
Sacks of potatoes are peeled and sliced and put into large barrels of water, in preparation for French fries the moment an order is placed. Sometimes enough potatoes are prepared to last two or three days.[/i]
To keep the potatoes from turning black and spoiling, large doses of benzoate of soda are added.(9)
The same process is followed in the preparation of other fresh vegetables. Many big restaurants work days ahead, and to keep peas, turnips, spinach and other vegetables deceptively ‘fresh' they are soaked in this Toxic preservative.(9)
So, if you unwittingly go into a restaurant which uses these chemical preservatives, you may consume large doses of benzoate of soda in various dishes at one sitting.(10)
Most state administrators admit that, as their laws now stand, supervision of restaurants and the food industry is haphazard or non-existent. Many states have no staffs or laboratory equipment to test the food or to prevent the poisoning of the public.
Some of the disgraceful aspects of the nation's food scandal were brought out when Congressman John J. Delaney(11) of New York, conducted his House robe into the use of chemical additives in food.
Health officials voiced dissatisfaction with the laws in their state and urged speedy action on new regulations to cover restaurants and the whole food industry.
The director of the Arizona Department of Health reported:
‘Actually we have no program of lack of funds or facilities and certainly we have no research.(12) Our pure food laws need revamping and must be brought up to date.(13) However, without additional facilities such laws are of no use.'
The director of health of West Virginia bluntly admitted:
‘While the state law prohibits the introduction of chemicals into foods, the amount of food control work done in the state is very limited and the addition of adulterants, preservatives, etc., in many cases go undetected.(14)
‘A health official in Mississippi made the shocking admission:
‘Mississippi has no modern food, drug and cosmetics act. Our old stature ... was fashioned after the federal act of 1906. No many was appropriated for the enforcement of this act in Mississippi for many, many years.'
From these statements it is obvious that the public is at the mercy of the food industry.(15)
Even the meat you eat is not always safe. A few restaurants, out for a quick dollar, but the cheapest meat, and then dress it up to look like the best."============================
(9) The wise diner will order baked potatoes. If these cannot be had, then a legume such as lima beans, or a vegetable salad.
(10) Even if we accepted the idea of a "permitted" amount, when consumed in a number of foods at the same meal, as it often is, it distributes digestion and assimilation, interferes with the proper functioning of the vial organs, and frequently results in the beginning of an illness which may become permanent.
(11) A repeat: As will be noted through the text, Congressman Delaney prepared a protective bill, but up to the present moment the profit interests have been too strong to permit the passage of the Bill and though the people are awakening to their danger,, they have been lax in their demands to their congressmen and senators to legislate such a measure into Law. This, we fervently hope, will shortly be corrected.
(12) There are no funds for the purpose of protecting the men, women and children of America from the dangers of becoming victims of the most vicious of diseases, but there are billions made available by our Senators and Congressmen to donate to the drones of decadent nations. Who is at fault? The people who vote men into office to represent their interests, but make little or no effort to make certain they fulfil their sacred duty.
(13) A frank admission by a Health Department of the vital need for protective legislation.
(14) An admission that West Virginia does have protective laws. Though perhaps weak, they are not enforced. Evidence that officials are recreant in their duties.
(15) A frank statement that the proponents for restrictive legislation would hesitate to make for fear of either libel suits, or accused of being maladjusted - mentally ill, and in danger of the mad house.
Disease Creative Additives
"For this purpose the meat is treated with Asafetida.(16) this chemical will give your meat a tangy taste - but medicinally it is used as a sedative in hysteria and to cure spasms.
Here are a few preservatives that are used in meats:
Hydroquinone - Used as an antioxidant, it is so poisonous it can cause nausea, vomiting, sense of suffocation, shortness of breath, coma and death. Industrially this substance is used as a photographic reducer and developer.
Borates - These derivatives of the sodium of borate family, used industrially for soldering metals and fireproofing fabrics and wood, are extremely dangerous and a 15 to 30 gram dose of the chemical can cause death.
These chemicals, consumed in small doses, have no immediate effect - but over a period of time they have a cumulative effect upon the human body.============================
(16) This is one of the less dangerous additives. It has long been used in medicine in the treatment of digestive disturbances - in the relief of ailments already existing - under the supervision of the physician.
Link to Cancer
"The build-up of chemicals in the system begins damage that is reflected in the increasing cases of heart attacks, ulcers and cancer taking toll of the American public.
The only precaution you can take is to be alert. You must be sure of the reputation and integrity of the restaurant in which you eat.(17) If you are traveling check the state regulations on food and sanitation. You can't afford to be too careful.
And you must keep on guard. It is imperative that the public demand action from state and local officials for the necessary safeguards."============================
(17) There is another and a safe way for the millions of workers who eat their lunch in restaurants and who cannot afford to patronize the more expensive restaurants with excellent reputations.
Those who have more or less investigated the problem, and decided to follow protective measures, invested in a small lunch carrier, a covered dish with smaller covered dish in the larger and a pint thermos bottle. In the morning, before leaving for work, they prepare a fresh vegetable salad, changing from day to day. This is placed in the larger covered dish. In the smaller, they place a salad dressing of cottage cheese (unadulterated) made into a thin paste with either sweet or sour cream. This dressing is not added until time of consuming, otherwise the salad would become soggy.
The thermos bottle is for the purpose of either a hot soup of choice, or milk. Usually this is changed from day to day for variety. Such a lunch guarantees all of the necessary elements: protein, vitamins and minerals, for health, vitality and strength, and at a cost less than lunch in even the cheapest restaurant.
When a change, or a greater amount of protein is desired, then there may be added: egg custard made with eggs and milk, natural sugar and desired flavoring; or, rice pudding made with brown rice, milk, natural sugar and flavoring; or, a gelatin made with Knox gelatin, and flavoring. All flavors must be natural, not synthetic.