Does smoking cause cancer?

Author Topic: Does smoking cause cancer?  (Read 81033 times)

worcesteradam

Re: Does smoking cause cancer?
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2010, 10:06:08 PM »
Breast cancer deaths have fallen in the UK since the 1980s, but mortality rates from the disease continue to be among the highest in Europe, a study shows.

The review of 30 countries, led by France's International Prevention Research Institute, showed the UK rate fell by around a third, thanks to quality care and speedier diagnosis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10944826

Offline freedom_commonsense

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2010, 11:24:04 AM »
Does quality care include masectomies I wonder?

worcesteradam

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2010, 09:31:37 PM »
Western lifestyle 'to blame for soaring... cancer rates'

Britian's high number of breast cancer cases is being fuelled by the Western lifestyle that encourages women to over-eat, drink too much and exercise too little, say new figures...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1301445/Western-lifestyle-blame-soaring-breast-cancer-rates.html

This Daily Mail article turns out to have been written by Cancer Research UK.

see:
Praise for Daily Mail cancer article

The Daily Mail often gets it in the neck for its alarmist stories and features on cancer. (There's even a Facebook group listing its many tales).

But the latest Mail article on the subject, What REALLY raises the risk of breast cancer? We asked an expert to weigh up the evidence on the various theories has been praised by the World Cancer Research Fund.

WCRF's head of communications, Richard Evans, pays tribute to the Mail for running an "informative piece that will hopefully make a real difference in giving women the information they need to reduce their breast cancer risk."

It followed a WCRF press release revealing that UK breast cancer rates are four times higher than those in eastern Africa.

Evans says the Mail "worked with our colleagues at Cancer Research UK to look at different lifestyle factors that have been reported as increasing breast cancer risk."

The resulting article "gets across the message that women can reduce their breast cancer risk by maintaining a healthy weight, being physically active, reducing the amount of alcohol they drink and breastfeeding their children."

Last week, as I reported, Evans highlighted what he regarded as a "disappointing" example of cancer prevention coverage in My Weekly magazine.

Sources: WCRF blog/Daily Mail

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2010/aug/12/dailymail-cancer

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2010, 06:02:56 AM »
Just as well I never donate to charities anonymously, I always provide assistance on the ground (and when I'm satisfied that they're actually doing some good).

Thermionic

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2010, 12:59:31 AM »
The answer is Polonium. Polonium is (very) radioactive. Tobacco fields are fertilized with rock phosphate, which naturally contains trace amounts of the element. When the plants grow, they take it in along with the phosphorus and other nutrients.

The widespread use of rock phosphate began during the second half of the 20th century....

Hmm.  ???

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2010, 10:07:29 AM »
The answer is Polonium. Polonium is (very) radioactive. Tobacco fields are fertilized with rock phosphate, which naturally contains trace amounts of the element. When the plants grow, they take it in along with the phosphorus and other nutrients.

The widespread use of rock phosphate began during the second half of the 20th century....

Hmm.  ???

Rocks\soil may be a factor yes, but we'd see that in general and not tied to tobacco consumption in those areas. Radon being an obvious example.

Offline Libertarian Perspective

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2010, 02:36:26 PM »
What do people think about the theory that if you eat Macrobiotically and you smoke, lung cancer is impossible since the smoke and the tar attaches to droplets of fat in and around the lungs, but if you don't eat processed sugar or fats then it is impossible to have this sort of material attached to your organs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrobiotic_diet#Tobacco
“Good luck to him. I don’t blame him at all, but I just
wish he had not hit me so hard. I know he had to protect
his property, and I probably would have done the
same thing in his position. This has certainly stopped
me committing any more crime.” - British burglar elaborating robbery

Offline WhiteWitch

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2010, 03:14:08 PM »
OK, so heres the thing..
Levels of cancers in and around the equator are lower (as are heart disease and many other things, but were talkin cancer here). For many years research has been done into why this may be. Initially it was the anti oxidant vitamins present in the mediterranean diet. Big Pharma conducted a trial using synthetic vitamin isolates, and individually tested each one. A problem here is that a) the enzymes present in the fruits were ignored b) synthetic vitamin isolates are NOT vitamins and c) they were tested individually, most vitamins work in tandem with each other..
Something they did find from this trial, was that if you give a smoker or aspestos worker high doses of synthetic beta carotene it can cause them to die, which quickly became the focus of the trial.. Ignoring that smokers should not have been included in the trial, and all the non smokers were dropped from the study..

In the past few years there has been a huge amount of research into vitamin D. Vitamin D is not technically a vitamin, in reality it is a type of hormone. Manufactured in the skin when exposed to UVB rays. Anywhere north of the 52nd latitude is not getting as much UVB as the angle the sun shines at causes the UVB rays to be deflected away from the earths surface, so, general rule of thumb, when your shadow is longer than you on the ground then you arent making vitamin D. Plus, as it takes 48hours to absorb, most people wash their vitamin D down the plug hole.. But do you notice something? The mediterranean lies below the 52nd latitude.. In fact levels of cancer are at their highest in the "western world" which in addition to lying above this line, is also encouraged to slather themselves in carcinogenic sunsreen and stay out of the sun when the UVB rays are getting through..(ps, the midday sun is stronger and the UVA rays are in higher levels, so you should not need long in the midday sun)

So, it turns out vitamin D is far more crucial than just getting calcium into your bones. It upregulates every body system by 10%, plays a role in insulin production, inflammatory responses and cellular communication. These things make Vitamin D so important in the prevention of cancer.

Cancer is a healing response that has not switched of. A faulty cell, perfoming mitosis, and therefore dividing repeatedly despite its faults. The fault may have been caused by smoking, but if you were consuming enough anti oxidants they would mop up the free radicals generated by the smoke. Processed foods are a big cause, as these are nutritionally comparable to cardboard most of the time, and they send out just as many free radicals into the body as smoking. And its worth mentioning that tumours tend to develop at sites of injury(usually followed by inflammation)- zinc and vitamin C (anti oxidants) playing a role in healing. Vitamin D will help to bring a halt to this faulty cells reproduction, but if you dont have enough, then its not going to be able to.

Another cause I mentioned is fermentation. When there is an abundance of sugar around, but there is not much oxygen-coming from water, aerobic exercise, and good foods (like veggies!) then instead of respiring aerobically (the prefered source of respiration in the cell) the cell is forced to respire anaerobically, combine this with sugar and the gut flora candida albicans starts to flourish. Candida-a yeast(the cause of "thrush"), starts fermenting all the sugar around the body and tumours are born. Candida is always present in the body, but if you eat well then their numbers are kept in check by the beneficial bacteria in the gut.

So, fresh air, water, vegetables and fruit, and sunshine.. This is why some smokers never get cancer and people who never smoke do. My mother has smoked 47 years and has never had any sign of it. My friend at schools mother was a non smoker who died at the age of 50 of breast cancer, the difference? My mother was out baking herself in the sun at any given opportunity and my friends mother never went out in the sun.
Vitamin D deficiency has been determined a cause of 17 different types of cancer, and research shows that if you have optimal levels of vitamin D you cant get breast cancer.

Smoking is not particularly good for you, but it's not the only thing to cause cancer by a long shot, and there needs to be other factors in place to initiate the cancer, so no, smoking is not "the cause"..

For more info on vitamin D go to http://www.vitamindcouncil.org and check out the book/seminar "Cancer; Why Were Still Dying to Know the Truth" by Phillip Day.

As far as donations go, Im always wary.. There is a lot of research being done into cancer that is ignored in order to maintain the astronomical profits of the cancer industry. Some of the pink campaigns arent even raising money for breast cancer research, they're raising money for breast cancer awareness, and I dunno about you, but I'm more than aware of its existence..

Offline donnay

• Live Free Or Die Trying!
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2010, 08:30:29 PM »
*applauds WhiteWitch*

Excellent information and eloquently put--you have definitely connected the dots!  ;)
"Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace." ~ Rod Serling
"Cops today are nothing but an armed tax collector" ~ Frank Serpico
"To be normal, to drink Coca-Cola and eat Kentucky Fried Chicken is to be in a conspiracy against yourself."
"People that don't want to make waves sit in stagnant waters."

EvadingGrid

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2010, 08:37:52 PM »

see above

Sounds convincing to me, what do you think of the Nukes being an additional factor ?

Offline WhiteWitch

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2010, 09:43:57 AM »
I wouldn't put it all down to nukes. Were bombarded with all sorts of radiation daily. 
Women are encouraged to go for mammograms-which cause cancer.
X-rays can cause cancer too-you need to be careful how many you have in a lifetime. Wireless Internet masts, mobile phone masts, electromagnetic smog from mobile phones, wireless routers.. The lists actually pretty long, to avoid it you'd wanna have your house lead lined, ad then you'd have to deal with the problems associated with lead! Sadly we live in a toxic world from which there is no escape.

In short were surrounded by radiation daily, but provided the levels are kept below a certain point your body is capable of fighting it off. Provided it is adequately nourished. The human body is an amazing thing provided it's got the right fuel. Problem is, in the majority of cases people are pouring unleaded into their diesel engines..
And as for their doctors-the be all and end all of knowledge about humans, 75% of doctors when diagnosed with cancer refuse chemo-because they know what it does to people. 
On the good news front, there have been many positive advances in fighting cancer, like Tulio Simoncini, an oncologist (who was struck of because...) he can kill a tumour in a week and a half by injecting it with.…

BAKING SODA..

If you wanna know about eating cancer there's an English dude called Phillip Day who has been researching the subject for almost 30 years(since his aunt died the chemo way), and he provides way more hope for those affected than big pharma have. In fact, he frequently has doctors callin him askin how to deal with their cancer.

In fact, he runs www.credence.org or the campaign for truth in medicine. I strongly suggest you check him out.

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2010, 10:46:21 AM »
On the good news front, there have been many positive advances in fighting cancer, like Tulio Simoncini, an oncologist (who was struck of because...) he can kill a tumour in a week and a half by injecting it with.…

BAKING SODA..

Yes it's very effective at killing pathogens and cleaning in general, I use it as a body scrub and toothpaste as well as for household duties.

Offline WhiteWitch

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »
Another thing worth mentioning; the cadmium, benzene, and formaldehyde found in cigarette filters are far more dangerous than the tobacco. This is why levels of cancer in commercial cigarrette smokers versus people who smoke rollies is higher.

And I meant fighting cancer in the last post-not eating!! Stupid thing corrected my spelling incorrectly!!

Offline thinkingman

• Truth Advocate. Thought Provocateur.
    • jimcgreevy.com
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2011, 02:45:18 PM »
A friend of mine smoke American Spirit Organic Tobacco.  I am sure the problems with main stream cigarettes would be all the chemicals.

The boxes also state not a safer cigerette too for American Spirit due to the organic tobacco. Keep in mind the ciggies all have the fire safe paper tubes too. But all tobacco are cured with sugar as far as I understood. For the record the answer is Yes smoking does cause cancer eventually.

~thinkingman
"When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty."
~Thomas Jefferson
"For in reason, all government without the consent of
the governed is the very definition of slavery."
~Jonathan Swift

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2011, 03:08:14 PM »
Not that I'm proud of my weak vices , but I am bookmarking this with nicotine satined fingers ;D
"I do not believe that there were, at the Council of Nicea,
three persons present who believed in the truth of what was set down.
If there were, it was on account of their ignorance."
J. M. Roberts, "Antiquity Unveiled", 1892

Offline decemberfellow

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2011, 08:17:08 PM »
Donay's article is a MUST READ

Yes it is ,and I have printed it out and presented it at work with all the "oh the second hand smoke"crap people. Pisses them off and then absolutely "forget the facts opps I mean article.  Wow just like our "leaders"    amazing.
Rev21:4
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Who am I
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Fk6dt_uHo

Offline donnay

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2011, 07:51:23 AM »
New York City Council votes to ban smoking in parks, on beaches

By Jessica Naziri, CNN
February 2, 2011 10:53 p.m. EST

New York (CNN) -- The city that never sleeps is moving closer to becoming the city that never smokes, or at least the city that highly restricts it.

Nine years after the Big Apple banned smoking in its restaurants, the New York City Council on Wednesday voted to ban smoking in city parks and on city beaches, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a written statement.

The council voted 36 to 12 in favor of the ban, much to the chagrin of those who think the government is overstepping its role into its residents' lives.

"The city is taking it too far. I think it's ridiculous," said 25-year-old New Yorker George Wells as he pressed a lit cigarette to his lips outside the Shops at Columbus Circle.

The ban prohibits smoking in all 1,700 city parks and on its 14 miles of beaches, the statement said, and is intended to prevent the harmful effects of secondhand smoke for children.

"This summer, New Yorkers who go to our parks and beaches for some fresh air and fun will be able to breathe even cleaner air and sit on a beach not littered with cigarette butts," Bloomberg said.

The measure is expected to take affect 90 days after Bloomberg signs the bill. He has 30 days to sign the ban following the council's approval.

"The statistics don't lie: secondhand smoke kills," said City Council Member Christine Quinn, who voted for the measure.

But Council Member Robert Jackson, who opposed the bill, said the ban is "going against our liberty of the people of New York City. As someone who wants to breathe clean air, I think we are going too far and being intrusive."

Continued...

More draconian measures from Dictator Bloomberg and his minions.   ::)
"To be normal, to drink Coca-Cola and eat Kentucky Fried Chicken is to be in a conspiracy against yourself."

Offline Brocke

• Eleutherophiliac & Drapetomaniac
  • Global Moderator
  • I am not a number, I am a free man!
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2011, 07:47:43 PM »
New York City Council votes to ban smoking in parks, on beaches

By Jessica Naziri, CNN
February 2, 2011 10:53 p.m. EST

New York (CNN) -- The city that never sleeps is moving closer to becoming the city that never smokes, or at least the city that highly restricts it.

Nine years after the Big Apple banned smoking in its restaurants, the New York City Council on Wednesday voted to ban smoking in city parks and on city beaches, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a written statement.

The council voted 36 to 12 in favor of the ban, much to the chagrin of those who think the government is overstepping its role into its residents' lives.

"The city is taking it too far. I think it's ridiculous," said 25-year-old New Yorker George Wells as he pressed a lit cigarette to his lips outside the Shops at Columbus Circle.

The ban prohibits smoking in all 1,700 city parks and on its 14 miles of beaches, the statement said, and is intended to prevent the harmful effects of secondhand smoke for children.

"This summer, New Yorkers who go to our parks and beaches for some fresh air and fun will be able to breathe even cleaner air and sit on a beach not littered with cigarette butts," Bloomberg said.

The measure is expected to take affect 90 days after Bloomberg signs the bill. He has 30 days to sign the ban following the council's approval.

"The statistics don't lie: secondhand smoke kills," said City Council Member Christine Quinn, who voted for the measure.

But Council Member Robert Jackson, who opposed the bill, said the ban is "going against our liberty of the people of New York City. As someone who wants to breathe clean air, I think we are going too far and being intrusive."

Continued...

More draconian measures from Dictator Bloomberg and his minions.   ::)

Truth in satire...

The Onion Movie- Smoking Ban
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8eoEygHyho

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. - ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline donnay

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2011, 02:24:00 AM »
Truth in satire...

ROFL!  If you didn't laugh, you'd cry at the endless draconian laws being implemented--in a sick twisted, perverted way of saying it is justified, to protect peoples rights!  ::)

Offline Freeski

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2011, 02:37:21 AM »
Truth in satire...

Damn that's funny! ;D

I've long thought that "smoking", along with gun rights, are the best two tests of anyone's understanding and belief in the concept of freedom. If you think it's okay to prevent people from owning a gun, or from smoking in their own home or business then you have the key trait of a fascist, like it or not. You're free to be a control freak, but denying you are not - when you are - is pitiful.
"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Kiolm

« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2011, 10:24:31 PM »
or is it something else...

am finding myself increasingly sceptical.

anyone wanna argue the case using science, id be grateful

It can't be done since it would rely on statical correlation. If they know what cancer is or why or how, they aren't telling. Here's how they will lie to you though. They will say something like, x percent of people with lung cancer smoked. What they don't say is the vast majority who smoke never get lung cancer and better than half would have gotten it even if they didn't smoke. And what they damn well won't tell you is the few that do get it, are very old and have smoked for 60 years.

I'd be willing to bet smokers out live their non smoking counter parts. I've know plenty of elderly people who've smoked their whole lives (Unfiltered Pal Malls)and lived into their 80's+. I've also know of only 2 people that died young of natural causes. One at 55 of breast cancer that never smoked and one at 65 of lung cancer who never smoked. That's it for me. I do not know of anyone personally, or from anyone I know, who knows of a person with lung cancer and smoked. Or that died young of natural causes that smoked. Do you?

I had a conversation with a Lady telling me how bad smoking was for me and I'd get lung cancer. And to give herself some self important sense of knowing, she told me how she smoked for 35 years and her Dr said she was showing signs of first stages of emphysema.(I think that's what she said, it was really minor so maybe not, something with a E I think) So I said...Are you telling me you smoked for 35 years and you don't have lung cancer?.lol. She got real quiet.lol. So even she had been brainwashed and she smoked 2 packs a day every day for 35 years.lol. Yhea smoking kills.lol.

Here's what's scary though. How is it every country out there has all raised taxes on cigarettes ??? You can't order them any cheeper anywhere. You would think all these countries would have different prices since tax is the largest part of cigarettes. Wouldn't you think Mexico would have different prices than France or Japan, but they don't. Now how did that happen ???

Makes you wonder with the Nazi esk Anti smoking campaign, The adds saying smoking kills. the outrageous taxes and the extortion of the Tobacco companies. Companies forced to add fire retardants to ciggs, And now all these separate countries charging the same amount for cigarettes. Makes you believe there's some kind of secret kabal running things and they have it in for people using ciggs.

The more I learn the more I'm convinced that if the Government/msm say's it's bad for you then it's probably good for you and vice-a versa.

We should drink fluoride,chlorine, Get Flu shots and Antibiotics, Take poison daily called pills, and surrender to authority, Not to mention Monsanto foods. But don't smoke because we love you and want you well.

Maybe smoking does something to counter something they want done to us. I'm sure money plays a role some way too.

BTW anybody know where I can order cigarette tobacco overseas that isn't taxed to death ??? send me a PM if you have a link please.

BTW I've been stuffing my own as well, but it's not cheeper than just buying them. At least I'm not smoking Government chemicals though and they are easier on the throat.

"Those that know the least obey the best"

Offline Freeski

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2011, 10:30:55 PM »
Very interesting post, Kiolm. Welcome to The Forum.
"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline decemberfellow

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2011, 10:40:35 PM »
Maybe smoking does something to counter something they want done to us. I'm sure money plays a role some way too

Could be Kiolm good point.
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Who am I

Offline donnay

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2011, 11:32:09 PM »
Welcome aboard Kiolm!  Good post!

Offline Kiolm

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2011, 07:41:29 PM »
Thanks guys.

I ran across this today and thought I'd share.

Watch the videos and then watch what the Dr. say's about smoking. He say's smoking kills is put on the cigarettes to kill people. The videos prove Intention is a real effect. Several other videos show Intentions to be a real measurable effect but this is a smoking thread.

The first one is about flash freezing water based on words or music. The 2nd is a interview with the Dr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_14nqkk-GU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZDOPQRdxJM&feature=related

Offline jesussdad

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2011, 08:14:50 PM »
ive found a good way of countering tobaccos negative effects is to add a shit load of cannabis to it.

Offline donnay

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2011, 09:39:48 AM »
Thanks guys.

I ran across this today and thought I'd share.

Watch the videos and then watch what the Dr. say's about smoking. He say's smoking kills is put on the cigarettes to kill people. The videos prove Intention is a real effect. Several other videos show Intentions to be a real measurable effect but this is a smoking thread.

The first one is about flash freezing water based on words or music. The 2nd is a interview with the Dr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_14nqkk-GU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZDOPQRdxJM&feature=related

That is very interesting!  Thanks for sharing that.  I truly believe in positive thinking!

Another thing...classical music is the music I go to sleep to.  I have read people who listen to classical music help elevate their IQ's.

Offline donnay

« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2011, 10:51:28 AM »
Public release date: 15-Mar-2004
[ Print Article | E-mail Article | Close Window ]

abaier@hsc.usf.edu
813-974-3300
University of South Florida Health

Study supports new theory for nicotine's protective effect against neurodegenerative disorders

Tampa, FL (March 15, 2004) – While the health risks of tobacco are well known, several studies have shown that people with a history of cigarette smoking have lower rates of neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease. However, the explanations for nicotine's neuroprotective effects continue to be debated.

Now a team of neuroscientists at the University of South Florida College of Medicine presents new evidence of an anti-inflammatory mechanism in the brain by which nicotine may protect against nerve cell death. Their study was published today in the Journal of Neurochemistry.

In laboratory experiments, the researchers demonstrated that nicotine inhibits activation of brain immune cells known as microglia. Chronic microglial activation is a sign of brain inflammation that is a key step in nerve cell death. The researchers also identified the specific site, the alpha-7 acetylcholine receptor subtype, to which nicotine binds to block microglial activation.

"We propose that nicotine's ability to prevent overactivation of microglia may be additional mechanism underlying nicotine's neuroprotective properties in the brain," said USF neuroscientist R. Douglas Shytle, PhD, lead author of the study.

"This finding lets us explore a new way of looking at neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's," said Jun Tan, PhD, MD, principal investigator for the study. "A better understanding of the therapeutic aspects of nicotine may also help us develop drugs that mimic the beneficial action of nicotine without its unwanted side effects."

Nicotine mimics the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, a chemical messenger that is critical to communication between brain cells. Acetylcholine is the major neurotransmitter lost in Alzheimer's disease.

The prevailing hypothesis among researchers is that nicotine helps protect the brain by binding to nicotinic acetylcholine receptors that sit on the end of nerve terminals. This action by nicotine, similar to turning up the volume of a radio signal, causes brain cells to increase the release of neurotransmitters depleted in diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

The USF study suggests that nicotine may also protect the brain through another, more indirect route -- by quelling the hyperactivity of immune cells (microglia) that have turned against the brain.

In the normal, healthy brain microglia support and maintain neurons. They also help wipe up excess beta amyloid protein that accumulates in the brain with aging.

"Microglia can be your best friend or your worst enemy depending on the signals they receive," Dr. Shytle said. "The analogy is that you keep talking to them they will take care of you, but if you stop talking they are more likely to get aggressive and have a toxic effect on the brain."

The USF researchers hypothesize that acetylcholine acts as an endogenous anti-inflammatory substance to help prevent microglia from attacking the brain. This neurotransmitter may consistently signal brain's immune system that everything is OK -- no need to activate more microglia, Dr. Shytle said. But, he said, if the neurons that communicate using acetylcholine begin to die and the acetylcholine signal fades, the microglia may become hyperactive and give rise to chronic inflammation that further aggravates the destruction of brain cells.

"In those at risk for Alzheimer's and other neurodegenerative diseases, nicotine may act much like the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. It may send signals to help suppress microglial immune response and limit excessive brain inflammation," Dr. Tan added.

###

Dr. Shytle, an assistant professor of neurosurgery, psychiatry and pharmacology, is affiliated with the Center for Aging and Brain Repair and the Child Development Center at USF. Dr. Tan is director of the Neuroimmunology Laboratory at the USF Institute for Research in Psychiatry. Other study authors were Takashi Mori, PhD; Kirk Townsend; Martina Vendrame; Nan Sun; Jin Zeng; Jared Ehrhart; Archie Silver, MD; and Paul R. Sanberg, PhD, DSc.

The study, supported by the national Alzheimer's Association, led to a recent $153,000 grant award to Dr. Shytle from the Florida Alzheimer's Center and Research Institute.

Offline Kiolm

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2011, 10:03:50 PM »
http://www.forces.org/Scientific_Portal/category.php?section=34

I found this link in another thread. It's a pro smoking link.

Offline decemberfellow

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2011, 10:10:31 PM »
http://www.forces.org/Scientific_Portal/category.php?section=34

I found this link in another thread. It's a pro smoking link.

Interesting link Thanks Kiolm

Who am I

Offline SlayerOfZombies

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2011, 01:22:23 AM »
The Chinese smoke way more than we do and have way less cancer.. oh but they were'nt exposed to radioactive 'tests' in the 1950's either.

Offline donnay

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2011, 01:41:14 PM »
The Chinese smoke way more than we do and have way less cancer.. oh but they were'nt exposed to radioactive 'tests' in the 1950's either.

Asians in general smoke more than the average American.  One could hope that the Japanese that smoked are protected from lung cancer with this Fukushima Nuclear fallout.

Offline Kiolm

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2011, 08:06:48 PM »
BTW folks I have what is caused "Ulcerative Colitis" and guess whut.lol. "They" have no clue as to what causes it.lol.(But I'm very sure as to what does)  None what so ever.lol..

What they do know without doubt, is smoking helps better than any pill big Pharma is promoting.

My pills for a month are 880 dollars in the US and 220 in Canada and 60 bucks in Cambodia.

Offline Freeski

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2011, 08:27:28 PM »
Kiolm, do you ever think the colitis was created by the industry in order to also sell the remedy? Or is that just crazy talk?

Offline donnay

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2011, 12:12:24 PM »
BTW folks I have what is caused "Ulcerative Colitis" and guess whut.lol. "They" have no clue as to what causes it.lol.(But I'm very sure as to what does)  None what so ever.lol..

What they do know without doubt, is smoking helps better than any pill big Pharma is promoting.

My pills for a month are 880 dollars in the US and 220 in Canada and 60 bucks in Cambodia.

A good friend of mine had ulcerated colitis and wound up getting almost all her colon removed because of all the drugs they put her on, then they told her eventually she would probably get colon cancer.  She took it upon herself to do research and try to find remedies.  One of which nicotine helps tremendously.  She uses the nicotine patches.

worcesteradam

« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2011, 08:54:33 PM »
Are they now going after alcohol?

Alcohol linked to 10% of cancer cases, study finds

REDUCING ALCOHOL intake would reduce the number of cancer cases in the Republic, the Irish Cancer Society has said.

It was responding to the results of a major European study, published online by the British Medical Journal , which found that up to one in 10 cancers in men and one in 33 in women could be caused by drinking.

Researchers concluded that drinking above recommended alcohol limits was likely to be responsible for the majority of cancer cases linked to alcohol, although for some people even a small consumption may increase the risk.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0409/1224294302507.html

worcesteradam

« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
November 21, 2007

Devra Davis On the Offensive

Cancer Terrorists Unmasked

By BRIAN McKENNA

Last month a close friend of mine, a man in his late 40s, got cancer. It was of the colon. He now confronts an uncertain future but his prognosis is good. He's an unrelenting fighter so my bet is that he'll join me in the cancer survivor's club. Mine was melanoma, back in 1992.

These days whenever I think of cancer I think of another cancer fighter, a cultural warrior named Devra Davis. Her new book, "The Secret History of the War on Cancer" is a disturbing, beautifully rendered work that details how corporate suppression, government inaction and social amnesia have combined to cause an epidemic that makes a mockery of President Nixon's War on Cancer in 1971.

Ten million cancers over the last thirty years were entirely preventable argues Davis.

Secret History was twenty years in the making. In 1986 Davis was offered a hefty advance to write a book on all that was then known about cancer prevention. When she informed her boss at the National Academy of Sciences, an arm of the federal government, about the offer he told her that she would lose her job if she wrote it. Davis, now 61, is Director of Environmental Oncology at the University of Pittsburgh. With more than 170 peer reviewed publications, an extensive career as a Presidential appointed governmental researcher, and a National Book Award bronze medal under her belt (for When Smoke Ran Like Water in 2002) anything Davis writes on cancer commands widespread attention.

Consider her assessment of aspartame. An artificial sweetener now widely used in cookies, cakes and candies around the world, aspartame was judged to be unsafe by the FDA in the 1970s after widespread testing. It was suspected of being a possible cancer causer. In 1977 the FDA formally asked the US attorney general to indict Searle corporation, aspartame's major producer, for knowingly making false and misleading statements about aspartame's safety. Searle responded by hiring a top Washington official, formerly with the Defense Department, to be its chief Executive officer. Aspartame was defeated in 1980 when the FDA review board voted unanimously against its approval. Then, in 1981, after Ronald Reagan's election, Searle reapplied for approval, and its CEO "called in my marks" at the FDA. Within a year aspartame was approved for all liquids and vitamins. The name of the CEO? Donald Rumsfeld.

It sometimes seems that the entire Bush team cut its eyeteeth on undermining cancer prevention efforts. It is true for my cancer. It is not well known that sunscreen is a cause of melanoma since it generally does not protect well against UVA rays. People sopping on the gook or sprays have a false sense of security in the sun. But the FDA has not changed sunscreen labels to alert consumers of this fact. In contrast, the European Union, in 2006, did so, arguing that claims like "sunblockers" and "total protection" do not exist. Back in 1999 after the FDA began making motions to require truth in labeling, sunscreen manufacturers responded with an intensive lobbying effort via their trade group the Cosmetics, Toiletries and Fragrance Association. As a result the FDA was persuaded not to implement the rules. Leading the lobbying charge was a former White House lawyer named John Roberts. Today he sits as the Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

Davis's revelations come with relentless force. Pap smears, the life saving test for cervical cancer, were held up for more than a decade because of fears it would undermine the private practice of medicine.

Sir Richard Doll, of Oxford University, perhaps the most esteemed cancer epidemiologist in the world for decades, and one who discounted most environmental causes to cancer, was, in fact, secretly in the employ of chemical companies like Monsanto for years.

Many of the official leaders in the cancer war, like Armand Hammer, came from firms that produced cancer-causing substances. Throughout the 1980s the National Cancer Institute's advisory board included Hammer, the CEO of Occidental Petroleum which produced more than 100 billion tons of toxic materials.

The "War on Cancer" is a war against science, broadly defined. When scientists reveal uncomfortable truths about cancer etiologies they often find their funding cut and reputations sullied. Other researchers get the message. Companies like Dow Chemical cut cancer funding in this way. When Marvin Legator pursued research on benzene's affects on workers as part of a well-funded consultantship to Dow Chemical to conduct toxicology at the University of Texas Medical Branch, he was stunned to find severe chromosomal damage to workers. Dow cut his funding.

Davis pinpoints precisely how corporations have mastered the art of "doubt promotion," gearing up their PR machines to cause citizens to question anything a critical scientist reports. It worked for tobacco for decades and still does. Moreover the epistemological (how we know what we know) basis about what gets regarded as "truth," has been severely undermined. This means, for example, that corporations have succeeded in persuading powerful groups that animal studies are OK for determining the efficacy for highly profitable chemotherapy drugs but not for the (profit hurting) actual causes of cancer!

Corporations can cover-up knowledge about how their workers are becoming ill or dying under the rubric of trade secrets. Entire towns like Mossville, Louisiana are purchased in part so that cancer researchers cannot investigate health harms.

"The War on Cancer has been stymied because we focused only on attacking the disease while ignoring what causes it," said Davis in an interview. In a nutshell, what causes it is the medical-military-industrial-academic complex obsessed with profits, hierarchical control and trade secrets. In a time of severely weakened public funding, universities are more often knowledge factories serving corporations than outspoken civic guardians. And corporations will often do whatever it takes to get risky products approved.

This story is being repeated again and again today. Cell phones, implicated in brain cancer in some studies, are the subject of warnings by Great Britain and Germany, but not the U.S. Children are especially at risk.

Shampoos containing a clear colorless liquid know as "1, 4-dioxane" causes cancer in animals and is banned from cosmetics by the European Union. The FDA is silent.

And few emergency room physicians are aware of the dangers of CT scans, which have increased tenfold in recent years. A CT scan of a child's stomach is equivalent to about 600 chest x-rays, making them more vulnerable to cancer later in their lifetimes.

The Secret History of the War on Cancer is a multi-layered treasure trove of a shadow history leading from Hypocrates to Ramazinni to Nazi Germany, which ironically was the first country to ban smoking in public places. The Nazis were simply implementing the work of a spectacular 1936 conference in Brussels on the environmental causes of cancer. Yes, it turns out that a great deal was known environmental and workplace causes of cancer but ignored by most of the industrial world. In her investigations Davis was shocked to learn about this International Congress of Scientific and Social Campaign against Cancer, where 200 of the world's top scientists convened. She calls it a "a veritable Manhattan Project on cancer."

"Many of your late relatives and mine might still be with us if the things these eminent women and men of science knew about the causes of cancer in 1936 had entered mainstream medical practice," writes Davis.

Cancer strikes terror into its victims and relief is sought at any cost. Existentially adrift and facing one's mortality you search for meaning in an alienated world. Alas, there's something that can be done! Doctors, nurses and social workers reassure you that someone cares. Whether it's cancer of the colon, breast, prostrate, lung, skin or testes, there's a multi-billion dollar armatarium of CT scans, chemotherapy and surgeries awaiting to relieve you. But rarely, if ever, does the medical establishment address the probable social and environmental causes of your disease. Teachable moments fade.

In essence this silent spring of medical speech serves to aid and abet the larger social forces that helped place you in their clinics in the first place! Besides, there's little or no money in prevention.

Davis will have none of it.

Inspired by South Africa, Davis calls for a Truth and Reconciliation Commission movement in the United States to pressure corporations to release the great amount of information they have sequestered about worker's health and cancer risks. Presently this data is off limits because of "trade secrets."

Davis' book signals the need for a revolution in medical education, public health and the social world at large. It is a rallying call. The book is capable of sending shock waves through the culture. With our help it can.

Brian McKenna was a reader for Devra Davis's book in its writing stages.

http://www.counterpunch.org/mckenna11212007.html

Offline Kiolm

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2011, 09:43:12 PM »
Kiolm, do you ever think the colitis was created by the industry in order to also sell the remedy? Or is that just crazy talk?

It was created/caused IMO. Here's how/why/was/IMO.......The fact is UC wasn't a young persons disease until the 60's and now it's a young persons disease.lol. Nobody "got" UC at a young age before then. I listened to a internet radio show recently where a man from England with UC had Doctors come from all over the UK to see the first case of UC in a young person.

UC is like headaches IMO and they just gave it a name and called it a disease. Can you Imagine if they did the same for headaches???

Ulcerative Colitis is where you get ulcers in your colon and you bleed whenever you poop. It causes, as you can imagine, weight loss and sever pain and having to go often. Like every 45 minutes. Which means you can't sleep much. At all.

I've spent countless hours on the Intro web and have learned many things about UC.

The first thing I learned is everything we've been told is a lie/programming......You can believe whatever you want about motives but the fact is when it comes to the medical Industry, it is simply evil. There is simply no doubting that.

A flare is when your in remission and you start bleeding. Which means your colon is inflamed and tender and doesn't have a mucous lining like you'd want. It leads to being off your feet for months and you lose a ton of weight because you can eat or drink and your  taking horrible meds like prednisone which kills your vision and raises your blood sugar to stroke levels. Nice aint it. And yet they sell it to us.lol.

What I also learned is this.......I was on a standard med and something called 6mp. I took these highly expensive pills for years and one day I decided to quit smoking.......Bad Idea.lol. I even asked my GI about quitting and he suggested that the stress could cause a flare......What you don't know is no main stream Doctor will ever suggest UC is controllable by diet changes or smoking.

So I quit. It happens at times.

Within 10 days I was on a flare. My 2nd. The first I went from 212 pounds to 158 and this one I went from 235 to 180. And in both cases I wasn't fat to begin with since I'm a 6'3" male.

So how is it with all the expensive pills I went on a flare ??? All those pills that aren't worth a crap except to make me unhealthy??? 6mp is a immune suppressor btw.

How is It I took this crap for years and something as simple as not smoking caused a major episode in my life??? Suddenly??? and this is backed up by countless evidence by real people??? How is it I'm pill free by simply smoking and diet changes ??? No pills what so ever???

Maybe when I doubled my dose of 6mp it didn't do any good????.lol. Maybe when I hadn't had a flare for a year and all the sudden I did it was because of smoking???

Fact is smoking has a huge tie to UC. Most people with UC never even have heard of the term until they quit smoking.

If you want to be programmed and can't except that you are, then maybe you should you look into it a bit like this link.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/226999-Smoking-Helps-Protect-Against-Lung-Cancer

Ulcerative Colitis is caused in my opinion by fillers and chemicals like aspartame. I know a lady on Facebook who cured her UC by simply quitting drinking diet cokes. It can be that simple a cure by many. If you have UC pm me any questions you have and I'll try to help.

Smoking will not kill you. It's actually good for you. I do not work for the tobacco industry and if you want you can facebook friend me. I'm a real dude who has never seen anyone die from smoking and my entire family smoked.

You can see my posts on here and other forums and they cover the spectrum of topics. Not just smoking or "did we go to the moon" etc.

Offline Freeski

« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2011, 07:52:44 AM »
Thanks for sharing Kiolm, and no doubt UC and many other conditions are the result of this poisoned food system. My ex had Crohn's, and so many people I know have digestive problems of some sort.

Offline agentbluescreen

« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2011, 08:29:05 AM »
This may be obvious to everyone else,
but since no one has come right out and said this,
I will.

I am gobsmacked!

This article provides a very different theory
regarding the origen of lung cancer,
NUCLEAR FALLOUT.

Just think about the implications of this, if it is true.
If the notion that "Smoking causes cancer" is a lie,
we have been sold a massive piece of propaganda.

The countries who have tested nuclear weapons are responsible in a way that is so serious,
for committing an heinous crime against us.

This makes the initiation of carbon taxes a farce.

There are lies, damn lies and then there are "statistics".

Nobody has ever been able to cause a cancer with tobacco smoke.

Donnay's earlier post here is a must read.

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=181975.msg1075841#msg1075841