Have you ever heard of MISC7, OD, ODSA, GEN29, MISC94, ELF?
These were but a few of the hundreds of Secret Cabinet Committees that as far as the British public are concerned do not exist and never did...
The Secret Society
The Secret Society series caused a political furor in 1987. BBC Director General Alasdair Milne's support for this series was one of the key reasons he was sacked (and replaced by Michael Checkland, an accountant). This Journalistic Coup d'État was conducted by Lord Victor Rothschild, Margaret Thatcher and Marmaduke Hussey in 1986
The production team behind the series was threatened with prosecution under the Official Secrets Act. Mr Campbell's front door was kicked down and his home searched. In 1987, Strathclyde Police raided the corporation's Scottish headquarters in Glasgow and seized the tapes from the offices of BBC Scotland where the series had been made. Mr Campbell's home was also raided, The tapes were later returned and the series broadcast on the BBC except for episode one. The BBC decided that the episode (one) about secret cabinet committees was too sensitive to show before the 1987 general election. The Thatcher government leaned on the BBC to prevent its damaging allegations being made public.1. The Secret Constitution: Secret Cabinet Committees
- about small, secret and influential Cabinet committees.2. In Time Of Crisis: Government Emergency Powers
- Since 1982, governments in every other NATO country have been preparing for the eventuality of war. In Britain, these preparations are kept secret. So what will happen when the balloon goes up?3. A Gap In Our Defenses
- Bungling defense manufacturers and incompetent military planners have botched every new radar system that Britain has installed since World War Two. Why? And can we stop it happening again?4. We're All Data Now: Secret Data Banks
- The Data Protection Act is supposed to protect us from abuse, but it's already out of date and full of loopholes. So what kind of abuses should we worry about?5. The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO)
- ACPO Making up their own law and policy. About the Association of Chief Police Officers and how Government policy and actions are determined in the fields of law and order.6. Communications Zircon
- About GCHQ with particular reference to a secret £500 million satellite. Reference to Zircon spy satellites which the public accounts committee were not told about.Program 1. The Secret Constitution: Secret Cabinet Committees
VIDEOhttp://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2770935645251752965#Program 2. In Time Of Crisis: Government Emergency Powers
Duncan Campbell, Secret Society, Secret Cabinet Committees
This is from Duncan Campbell's award-winning and explosive BBC video documentary series 'Secret Society' (1987). This episode about secret cabinet committees features author Peter Hennessy, Clive Ponting and Clement Freud MP amongst others.
In this freedom of information tour de force Campbell exposes the secret decision to buy U.S. Trident nuclear submarines as well as laying bare the cabinet level dirty tricks campaign against CND and its general secretary Bruce Kent. Margaret Thatcher, James Callaghan, the British Atlantic Committee, The ultra-right Coalition for Peace Through Security and the cabinet secretary come in for sharp criticism for keeping key decisions secret from Secretaries of State as well as MP's.
His support for this series was one of the key reasons BBC Director General, Alasdair Milne (who was replaced by Michael Checkland, an accountant) was sacked. This Journalistic Coup d'Etat was conducted by Lord Victor Rothschild, Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and Marmaduke Hussey in 1986. The BBC's independence has been under sustained assault ever since.
Secret Society was suppressed from high above since it was simply too controversial as it openly exposed various secret groups operating invisibly inside British government. They made damn sure no one would ever discover them but they were very wrong. Find out who they are and what are they doing without your knowledge. Duration 30 minutes, producer Brian Barr.