Sen. Hatch (Utah) Says He Will Oppose Kagan for Supreme Court

Author Topic: Sen. Hatch (Utah) Says He Will Oppose Kagan for Supreme Court  (Read 9152 times)

Offline larsonstdoc

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07-02/republican-hatch-announces-opposition-to-kagan-supreme-court-confirmation.html

Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah said he will vote against the confirmation of Elena Kagan to be a U.S. Supreme Court justice, a signal that her appointment will receive little support from his fellow Republicans.

Hatch, in a statement today, said he “cannot ignore disturbing situations” in which Kagan’s personal opinions appeared to drive her legal views. Hatch is a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which yesterday completed four days of hearings on Kagan’s nomination to the high court by President Barack Obama.

“The law must control the judge; the judge must not control the law,” Hatch said. “I have concluded that, based on evidence rather than blind faith, General Kagan regrettably does not meet this standard and that, therefore, I cannot support her appointment.”

The Judiciary Committee, with 12 Democrats and seven Republicans, will vote later this month and set the stage for action by the full Senate well before the Supreme Court begins its next term in October. Democrats control 58 of the Senate’s 100 seats.

Hatch is the first of the panel’s Republicans to announce his stand on the nomination. He voted in favor of Kagan last year when Obama named her to become the nation’s first woman to be U.S. solicitor general, the administration’s top courtroom lawyer.

Signaling Opposition

Hatch signaled his opposition to Kagan in a floor speech last week. He also opposed the nomination last year of Sonia Sotomayor, Obama’s first appointment to the Supreme Court.

Kagan, 50, was nominated by Obama on May 10 to replace Justice John Paul Stevens, who has retired from the nine-member court. She is a former dean of Harvard Law School and worked for four years in President Bill Clinton’s White House as a lawyer and policy adviser.

In his statement today, Hatch said Kagan’s testimony before the Judiciary Committee and her record suggest she would be an activist judge. She also lacks the experience to serve on the high court, he said.

“Supreme Court justices who, like General Kagan, had no prior judicial experience did have an average of 21 years in private legal practice,” he said. “General Kagan has two. The fact that her experience is instead academic and political only magnifies my emphasis on judicial philosophy as the most important qualification for judicial service.”

He said he was particularly concerned that, as an aide to Clinton, Kagan promoted the administration’s “extreme position on abortion,” including support for a procedure opponents call partial-birth abortion.

rg.com/news/2010-07-02/republican-hatch-announces-opposition-to-kagan-supreme-court-confirmation.html

I'M A DEPLORABLE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT SUPPORTS PRESIDENT TRUMP.  MAY GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIM SAFE.

Offline CheneysWorstNightmare

• F*CK THE NEW WORLD ORDER!
    • Youtube Profile
Re: Sen. Hatch (Utah) Says He Will Oppose Kagan for Supreme Court
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »
All posturing for the left/right paradigm.

Hatch knows she's in no matter what.

Offline larsonstdoc

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 01:34:24 PM »
All posturing for the left/right paradigm.

Hatch knows she's in no matter what.

Very true.  There are not enough votes on the Republican side.  It would be nice if  all the republicans voted against her. 
I'M A DEPLORABLE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT SUPPORTS PRESIDENT TRUMP.  MAY GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIM SAFE.

Offline CheneysWorstNightmare

• F*CK THE NEW WORLD ORDER!
    • Youtube Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 01:51:59 PM »
  Very true.  There are not enough votes on the Republican side.  It would be nice if  all the republicans voted against her. 

That'll be the day, brother.

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 01:52:46 PM »
This news that Hatch will Oppose Kagan is just amazing when you consider that ORIN HATCH TOLD KAGAN TO STFU in her confirmation hearings -- and she TOOK his advice!!

What's the game they're playing here?

========================================================

Orin Hatch made her do it! Kagan reverses 180 degrees on 'open' questioning

June 29, 2010
Kagan Shifts on Disclosure of Legal Views at Hearings
By CHARLIE SAVAGE and SHERYL GAY STOLBERG
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/30/us/30kagan.html?nl=&emc=aua1

WASHINGTON — At the opening of questioning in her Supreme Court confirmation hearing on Tuesday, Solicitor General Elena Kagan quickly backpedaled from her past call for nominees to speak more openly and in specific terms about their constitutional views.

Under questioning by the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Senator Patrick J. Leahy, Democrat of Vermont, Ms. Kagan said she thought it would be inappropriate for her to talk about how she might rule on pending cases or cases “that might come before the court in the future” — or to answer questions that were “veiled” efforts to get at such issues.

Moreover, she said, she also now believed that “it wouldn’t be appropriate for me to talk about past cases” by essentially grading Supreme Court precedents, because those issues, too, might someday come again before the court.

In a 1995 book review, Ms. Kagan wrote that recent Supreme Court confirmation hearings had taken on “an air of vacuity and farce” because nominees would not engage in a meaningful discussion of legal issues, declining to answer any question that might “have some bearing on a case that might some day come before the Court.”

She called on senators and future nominees to engage in a much more open and detailed discussion of legal issues.

Ms. Kagan attributed the idea that her 1995 book review went too far to Senator Orrin Hatch, Republican of Utah, saying he had counseled her in a private meeting earlier in the confirmation process to be more cautious in her testimony. Mr. Hatch was not in the hearing room on Tuesday when Ms. Kagan mentioned his advice.

I basically said to Senator Hatch that he was right, that I thought that I did have the balance a little bit off and that I skewed it too much towards saying that answering is appropriate, even when it would, you know, provide some kind of hints,” she said. “And I think that that was wrong.

And  the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, 
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40

Offline Georgiacopguy

• 'Cause it's a revolution for your mind...K?!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 01:57:11 PM »
He's just covering his ass because he told her to stfu... This way, he can suggest he was agaisnt her when he told her to stfu, and he might salvage some votes.
The resistance starts here. Unfortunately, the entire thing is moving beyond the intellectual infowar. I vow I will not make an overt rush at violent authority, until authority makes it's violent rush at me and you. I will not falter, I will not die in this course. For that is how they win.

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 01:59:09 PM »
He's just covering his ass because he told her to stfu... This way, he can suggest he was agaisnt her when he told her to stfu, and he might salvage some votes.

What a circus!
And  the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, 
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40

Offline chris jones

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 02:13:08 PM »
What a circus!

Hi Pilikia.
I like your byline..Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidity to pure wind. - George Orwell

And yes i agree this could be a smokescreen, but at the very least the statement was made.