Veteran Mistreatment - VA Hospital Scandal

Author Topic: Veteran Mistreatment - VA Hospital Scandal  (Read 12553 times)

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
Veteran Mistreatment - VA Hospital Scandal
« on: April 23, 2010, 03:02:41 PM »
Illuminati licking their chops that their meat grinder wars are going exactly as planned.

Everyone knew this would happen.

More soldiers died of suicide from the illegal vietnam war then the enemy.

18 veterans kill themselves every day: report
http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0423/18-veterans-suicide-day/
By Sahil Kapur
Friday, April 23rd, 2010 -- 10:41 am

The suicide rate among war veterans is extraordinary, new data reveals.

Thirty try to commit suicide each day, on average, reports the Army Times. Eighteen succeed, roughly five of whom receive medical care from Veterans Affairs, rated one of the best health programs in the country.

"Of the more than 30,000 suicides in this country each year, fully 20 percent of them are acts by veterans,'' said VA Secretary Eric Shinseki at a VA-sponsored suicide prevention conference in January, Inter Press Service reported.

The Times noted that "In general, VA officials said, women attempt suicide more often, but men are more likely to succeed in the attempt."

The report cites access to health care and age -- younger veterans are less likely to try -- as two major factors in the suicide rate, and notes that the VA is seeking to strengthen its suicide prevention programs.
Story continues below...

According to the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans, "Roughly 56 percent of all homeless veterans are African American or Hispanic, despite only accounting for 12.8 percent and 15.4 percent of the U.S. population respectively."

The struggle among veterans to return to everyday life has been documented over the years.

The Associated Press reported in November 2007 that one in four homeless people across the nation is likely to be a veteran, even though veterans constitute a mere 11 percent of overall adults in the United States.

"And homelessness is not just a problem among middle-age and elderly veterans," AP added. "Younger veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan are trickling into shelters and soup kitchens seeking services, treatment or help with finding a job."

Homelessness among women who served in Afghanistan and Iraq is on the rise.

The Boston Globe reported last year that "number of female service members who have become homeless after leaving the military has jumped dramatically in recent years."

One in ten homeless veterans under 45 years of age is a woman, statistics showed in July of 2009.

"Some of the first homeless vets that walked into our office were single moms," Paul Rieckhoff, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America's executive director and founder, told the Globe.

"When people think of homeless vets, they don’t think of a Hispanic mother and her kids. The new generation of veterans is made up of far more women.’"

All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline uwaf

I send these things to a NG guy and he WON'T reply/comment. He loves war and says it's a part of life. Told me the other day, he can't wait for the Lord to come. He wants to die, he said he's getting beamed up into heaven when the SHTF. He CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH AND WANTS TO HIDE!!

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
I send these things to a NG guy and he WON'T reply/comment. He loves war and says it's a part of life. Told me the other day, he can't wait for the Lord to come. He wants to die, he said he's getting beamed up into heaven when the SHTF. He CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH AND WANTS TO HIDE!!

it is our duty, not his.

this is our burden, not the active or mind controlled troops.
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline LightCaster

• Global Underground Resistance
    • Galaksija
This suicide rate is result of Pentagons mind control. Just look what they are doing to the soldiers who survived horrors of Iraq and Afghan war.

Pentagon Continues to Use "Personality Disorder" Discharges to Cheat Veterans out of Benefits

by Sherwood Ross
Global Research
April 21, 2010

An army sergeant who had received 22 honors including a Combat Action Badge prior to being wounded in Iraq by a mortar shell was told he was faking his medical symptoms and subjected to abusive treatment until he agreed to a "personality disorder"(PD) discharge.

After a doctor with the First Cavalry division wrote he was out for "secondary gain," Chuck Luther was imprisoned in a six- by eight-foot  isolation chamber, ridiculed by the guards, denied regular meals and showers and kept awake by perpetual lights and blasting heavy metal music---abuses similar to the punishments inflicted on terrorist suspects by the CIA.

"They told me I wasn't a real soldier, that I was a piece of crap. All I wanted was to be treated for my injuries," 12-year veteran Luther told reporter Joshua Kors of "The Nation" magazine (April 26th). "Now suddenly I'm not a soldier. I'm a prisoner, by my own people. I felt like a caged animal in that room. That's when I started to lose it."

The article is called "Disposable Soldiers: How the Pentagon is Cheating Wounded Vets."

Luther had been seven months into his deployment at Camp Taji, 20 miles north of Baghdad, when a mortal shell exploded at the base of his guard tower that knocked him down, slamming his head into the concrete. "I remember laying there in a daze, looking around, trying to figure out where I was at," he said. Luther suffered permanent hearing loss in his right ear, tinnitus, agonizing headaches behind his right eye, severe nosebleeds, and shoulder pain.

The sergeant took a Chapter 5-13 PD discharge in order to escape his confinement, becoming one of 22,600 soldiers so separated since 2001, a discharge that relieves the Pentagon of the responsibility and cost of long-term care for the wounded. An Army major told Luther to sign the discharge papers or "you're going to be here a lot longer." Luther recalled, "They had me broke down. At that point, I just wanted to get home." Many of the PD discharge recipients are soldiers who have served two and three tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, author Kors writes.

Sgt. Angel Sandoval, who served under Luther, said Luther's insistence on his wearing ceramic plates strapped to his bulletproof vest saved his life and described Luther as "one of the greatest leaders I had." Yet this is the man the Army imprisoned when he requested medical treatment. "This should have been resolved during the Bush administration. And it should have been stopped now by the Obama administration," Paul Sullivan, executive director of Veterans for Common Sense, is quoted as saying about PD discharges. "The fact that it hasn't is a national disgrace."

Luther's case is no isolated example, writes Kors, noting that in the past three years "The Nation" has uncovered more than two dozen such cases. "All the soldiers were examined, deemed physically and psychologically fit, then welcomed into the military. All performed honorably before being wounded during service...Yet after seeking treatment for their wounds, each soldier was diagnosed with a pre-existing personality disorder, then discharged and denied benefits," Kors writes.

This past December, he reports, VA doctors found Luther to be suffering from migraine headaches, vision problems, dizziness, nausea, difficulty hearing, numbness, anxiety and irritability---and diagnosed him with traumatic brain injury and post-traumatic stress disorder, declaring the veteran 80 percent disabled. The diagnosis cleared the way for the sergeant to receive disability benefits and lifetime medical care.

With his health improving, Luther has vowed to fight the military on behalf of other soldiers who got a raw deal like himself.  He founded Disposable Warriors, a one-soldier operation near Fort Hood, Texas,  that assists soldiers fighting their discharge and those appealing their disability rating, Kors reports. Luther says the base had 12 suicides last year as of June 2nd but reported only two. Luther is quoted in a November 21, 2009, article on "Truthout" as saying there is only one mental health professional for every 1,263 soldiers "and that is the first failure."

After opening Disposable Warriors, Luther found a threatening note on his car windshield that read: "Back off or you and your family will pay!!" Whoever wrote that note doesn't know Chuck Luther very well.

Sherwood Ross, a U.S. Air Force veteran,  is a free-lance writer and publicist residing in Coral Gables, Fla. He formerly reported for the Chicago Daily News and worked as a wire service columnist. Reach him at sherwoodross10@gmail.com.
Resist. Rebel. Cry out to all peoples and nations from the sky as the lightening flashes from the east to the west and judge the living and the dead. Or choose submission and slavery.

The light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.  (John 1:5)

Offline larsonstdoc

18 American War Veterans kill themselves every day: report
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 10:24:14 PM »
http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0423/18-veterans-suicide-day/

Of course not one word about the damage SSRI drugs is doing.

The suicide rate among war veterans is extraordinary, new data reveals.

Thirty try to commit suicide each day, on average, reports the Army Times. Eighteen succeed, roughly five of whom receive medical care from Veterans Affairs, rated one of the best health programs in the country.

"Of the more than 30,000 suicides in this country each year, fully 20 percent of them are acts by veterans,'' said VA Secretary Eric Shinseki at a VA-sponsored suicide prevention conference in January, Inter Press Service reported.

The Times noted that "In general, VA officials said, women attempt suicide more often, but men are more likely to succeed in the attempt."

The report cites access to health care and age -- younger veterans are less likely to try -- as two major factors in the suicide rate, and notes that the VA is seeking to strengthen its suicide prevention programs.

According to the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans, "Roughly 56 percent of all homeless veterans are African American or Hispanic, despite only accounting for 12.8 percent and 15.4 percent of the U.S. population respectively."

The struggle among veterans to return to everyday life has been documented over the years.

The Associated Press reported in November 2007 that one in four homeless people across the nation is likely to be a veteran, even though veterans constitute a mere 11 percent of overall adults in the United States.

"And homelessness is not just a problem among middle-age and elderly veterans," AP added. "Younger veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan are trickling into shelters and soup kitchens seeking services, treatment or help with finding a job."

Homelessness among women who served in Afghanistan and Iraq is on the rise.

The Boston Globe reported last year that "number of female service members who have become homeless after leaving the military has jumped dramatically in recent years."

One in ten homeless veterans under 45 years of age is a woman, statistics showed in July of 2009.

"Some of the first homeless vets that walked into our office were single moms," Paul Rieckhoff, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America's executive director and founder, told the Globe.

"When people think of homeless vets, they don’t think of a Hispanic mother and her kids. The new generation of veterans is made up of far more women.’"
I'M A DEPLORABLE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT SUPPORTS PRESIDENT TRUMP.  MAY GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIM SAFE.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
Army reports record number of suicides for June
http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2010-07-15-army-suicides_N.htm
By Gregg Zoroya, USA TODAY

Soldiers killed themselves at the rate of one per day in June making it the worst month on record for Army suicides, the service said Thursday.

There were 32 confirmed or suspected suicides among soldiers in June, including 21 among active-duty troops and 11 among National Guard or Reserve forces, according to Army statistics.

Seven soldiers killed themselves while in combat in Iraq or Afghanistan in June, according to the statistics. Of the total suicides, 22 soldiers had been in combat, including 10 who had deployed two to four times.

"The hypothesis is the same that many have heard me say before: continued stress on the force, said Army Col. Christopher Philbrick, director of the Army Suicide Prevention Task Force. He pointed out that the Army has been fighting for nine years in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Last year was the Army's worst for suicides with 244 confirmed or suspected cases.

The increase was a setback for the service, which has been pushing troops to seek counseling. Through May of this year, the Army had seen a decline in suicides among active-duty soldiers this year compared with the same period in 2009.

Philbrick expressed frustration over the June deaths. "Because we believe that the programs, policies, procedures ... are having a positive impact across the entire force. The help is there."

A leading military suicide researcher says changing a culture that views psychological illness as a weakness takes time.

"I would expect it to be years," said David Rudd, dean of the College of Social and Behavioral Science at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City.

The mounting stress on an Army facing renewed deployments and combat in Afghanistan is also a factor, Rudd said. "That's not a challenge they (Army leaders) control. It's a challenge that the president and Congress controls," he said.

The Army also unveiled on Thursday a training video designed to combat suicides. It contains testimonials by soldiers who struggled with self-destructive impulses before seeking help. It is titled Shoulder to Shoulder: I Will Never Quit on Life.

Philbrick said this was an improved video that he hoped would reach troubled soldiers. The previous video did not resonate with average soldiers, he said. During a showing in Baghdad, soldiers laughed at it, Philbrick said. "In grunt language, it sucked," he said.

The Army's current suicide rate is about 22 deaths per 100,000, which is above a civilian rate that has been adjusted to match the demographics of the Army. That rate is 18-per-100,000. Only the Marine Corps has a higher suicide rate, at 24-per-100,000. Although Marine Corps suicides had been tracking similarly to last year's record pace, the service reported only one suicide in June.

Just among Guard and Reserve soldiers, suicides have occurred at a higher rate this year than last year, according to Army figures. There have been 65 confirmed or suspected cases this year, compared with 42 for the same period last year.

Offline larsonstdoc

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/11/suicide-rate-of-veterans-_n_418780.html

Suicide Rate Of Veterans Increases Significantly For Former Soldiers 18-29

WASHINGTON — The suicide rate among 18- to 29-year-old men who've left the military has gone up significantly, the government said Monday.

The rate for these veterans went up 26 percent from 2005 to 2007, according to preliminary data from the Veterans Affairs Department. VA officials said they assume that most of the veterans in this age group served in Iraq or Afghanistan.

If there is a bright spot in the data, it's that in 2007 veterans in the group who used VA health care were less likely to commit suicide than those who did not. That's a change from 2005.

In recent years, the VA has hired thousands of new mental health professionals and established a suicide hot line credited with "rescues" of nearly 6,000 veterans and military members in distress.

The military has also struggled with an increase in suicides, with the Army seeing a record number last year. While the military frequently releases such data, it has been more difficult to track suicide information on veterans once they've left active duty.

The VA calculated the numbers using Centers for Disease Control and Prevention numbers from 16 states. In 2005, the rate per 100,000 veterans among men ages 18-29 was 44.99, compared with 56.77 in 2007, the VA said. It did not release data for other population groups.

At a suicide prevention conference on Monday in Washington, VA Secretary Eric Shinseki said his agency needs to do a better job understanding what led to each suicide. He said he'd also like to see more stringent protocol put into place at VA facilities about how to handle a potentially suicidal veteran, similar to what's done with someone who's having a heart attack.

He noted that of the more than 30,000 suicides each year in America, about 20 percent are committed by veterans.

"Why do we know so much about suicides but still know so little about how to prevent them?" Shinseki said. "Simple question, but we continue to be challenged."
I'M A DEPLORABLE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT SUPPORTS PRESIDENT TRUMP.  MAY GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIM SAFE.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
They always only quote the number of KIA in Vietnam which is ~50,000. But what they do not tell you is that there were more suicides than KIA. This makes the reported deaths to our troops caused by the Vietnam War to be over 100,000. Then, if you add the life debilitating injuries including PTSD and the deaths caused by Agent Orange, there may have been over 1/2 million casualties because of the Vietnam War. When you think of the sterilization of our troops, the figures rise yet again.

In the last 10 years of illegal empire building under orders from the Bilderberg Group, there are over 1 million casualties from KIA, suicide, "accident", PTSD, Depleted Uranium, poison vaccines, etc. Gulf War I lasted a few weeks and over 500,000 troops have been diagnosed with DU poisoning. That was a few weeks, what do you think 10 years have done to the US soldier when compared to these findings?

Offline jofortruth

• The Great Deception
Don't believe me. Look it up yourself!

The Great Deception - Forum/Library - My Research
http://z4.invisionfree.com/The_Great_Deception/index.php?showforum=110

Offline Geolibertarian

• Global Moderator
  • 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB! www.911truth.org
Army suicide peak shows that Bilderberg depopulation plans are on schedule

Would you agree that it also shows that troops with a conscience are being slowly and systematically phased out in favor of psychopathic ones who enjoy such things as torture, slaughtering civilians and throwing puppies off cliffs?
"Abolish all taxation save that upon land values." -- Henry George

"If our nation can issue a dollar bond, it can issue a dollar bill." -- Thomas Edison

http://schalkenbach.org
http://www.monetary.org
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=203330.0

Offline jofortruth

• The Great Deception
Very possible, Geo! Look at Pat Tillman!
Don't believe me. Look it up yourself!

The Great Deception - Forum/Library - My Research
http://z4.invisionfree.com/The_Great_Deception/index.php?showforum=110

Offline larsonstdoc

Hundreds of PTSD soldiers likely misdiagnosed
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 01:47:42 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/15/AR2010081501130.html?hpid%3Dmoreheadlines&sub=AR

WASHINGTON -- At the height of the Iraq war, the Army routinely fired hundreds of soldiers for having a personality disorder when they were more likely suffering from the traumatic stresses of war, discharge data suggests.

Under pressure from Congress and the public, the Army later acknowledged the problem and drastically cut the number of soldiers given the designation. But advocates for veterans say an unknown number of troops still unfairly bear the stigma of a personality disorder, making them ineligible for military health care and other benefits.

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
Re: Hundreds of PTSD soldiers likely misdiagnosed
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 02:00:45 PM »
July 10, 2010
Obama announces changes for vets with post-traumatic stress
Posted: July 10th, 2010 09:42 AM ET
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/10/obama-announces-changes-for-vets-with-post-traumatic-stress/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+rss/cnn_politicalticker+(Blog:+Political+Ticker)&fbid=g2HI2i1P9FM

(click source link to see video)

(CNN) – President Barack Obama is announcing upcoming changes in the way veterans with with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder qualify to receive help.

In his weekly internet and radio address, Obama said the Department of Veterans Affairs will lead efforts in reforming the way veterans with PTSD receive benefits to pay for the care they need.

“For years, many veterans with PTSD who have tried to seek benefits – veterans of today’s wars and earlier wars – have often found themselves stymied. They’ve been required to produce evidence proving that a specific event caused their PTSD,” said Obama.

“Well, I don’t think our troops on the battlefield should have to take notes to keep for a claims application,” he added. “And I’ve met enough veterans to know that you don’t have to engage in a firefight to endure the trauma of war.”

Full transcript of address:

Last weekend, on the Fourth of July, Michelle and I welcomed some of our extraordinary military men and women and their families to the White House.

They were just like the thousands of active duty personnel and veterans I’ve met across this country and around the globe. Proud. Strong. Determined. Men and women with the courage to answer their country’s call, and the character to serve the United States of America.

Because of that service; because of the honor and heroism of our troops around the world; our people are safer, our nation is more secure, and we are poised to end our combat mission in Iraq by the end of August, completing a drawdown of more than 90,000 troops since last January.

Still, we are a nation at war. For the better part of a decade, our men and women in uniform have endured tour after tour in distant and dangerous places. Many have risked their lives. Many have given their lives. And as a grateful nation, humbled by their service, we can never honor these American heroes or their families enough.

Just as we have a solemn responsibility to train and equip our troops before we send them into harm’s way, we have a solemn responsibility to provide our veterans and wounded warriors with the care and benefits they’ve earned when they come home.

That is our sacred trust with all who serve – and it doesn’t end when their tour of duty does.

To keep that trust, we’re building a 21st century VA, increasing its budget, and ensuring the steady stream of funding it needs to support medical care for our veterans.

To help our veterans and their families pursue a college education, we’re funding and implementing the post-9/11 GI Bill.

To deliver better care in more places, we’re expanding and increasing VA health care, building new wounded warrior facilities, and adapting care to better meet the needs of female veterans.

To stand with those who sacrifice, we’ve dedicated new support for wounded warriors and the caregivers who put their lives on hold for a loved one’s long recovery.

And to do right by our vets, we’re working to prevent and end veteran homelessness – because in the United States of America, no one who served in our uniform should sleep on our streets.

We also know that for many of today’s troops and their families, the war doesn’t end when they come home.

Too many suffer from the signature injuries of today’s wars: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Traumatic Brain Injury. And too few receive the screening and treatment they need.

Now, in past wars, this wasn’t something America always talked about. And as a result, our troops and their families often felt stigmatized or embarrassed when it came to seeking help.

Today, we’ve made it clear up and down the chain of command that folks should seek help if they need it. In fact, we’ve expanded mental health counseling and services for our vets.

But for years, many veterans with PTSD who have tried to seek benefits – veterans of today’s wars and earlier wars – have often found themselves stymied. They’ve been required to produce evidence proving that a specific event caused their PTSD. And that practice has kept the vast majority of those with PTSD who served in non-combat roles, but who still waged war, from getting the care they need.

Well, I don’t think our troops on the battlefield should have to take notes to keep for a claims application. And I’ve met enough veterans to know that you don’t have to engage in a firefight to endure the trauma of war.

So we’re changing the way things are done.(***)

On Monday, the Department of Veterans Affairs, led by Secretary Ric Shinseki, will begin making it easier for a veteran with PTSD to get the benefits he or she needs.

This is a long-overdue step that will help veterans not just of the Afghanistan and Iraq Wars, but generations of their brave predecessors who proudly served and sacrificed in all our wars.

It’s a step that proves America will always be here for our veterans, just as they’ve been there for us. We won’t let them down. We take care of our own. And as long as I’m Commander-in-Chief, that’s what we’re going to keep doing. Thank you.

=================================

*** Note lack of detail on exactly how they intend to change the way things have been done...

However, we do understand what they've been up to with regard to vets with PTSD:

=================================

22,000 Returning Vets Discharged With Personality Disorder
http://ptsdcombat.blogspot.com/2007/01/22000-returning-vets-discharged-with.html

Since 2001, the military has discharged more than 22,000 service members from its ranks for "personality disorder," a classification once referred to as a "Section 8," according to the Department of Defense. Kathleen Gilberd, a counselor with the San Diego-based Military Counseling Project, said many service members discharged because of personality disorders, medical issues and other grounds are in fact struggling with post-traumatic stress.

About one-third of service members seeking medical treatment from the Veterans Health Administration have reported symptoms of stress or mental illness, according to a June report from the VA. Of those, about half had possible post-traumatic stress, the report said. Though those figures would appear to make combat stress the largest medical condition suffered by veterans of the current wars, the ailment is not handled the same as other injuries.

The piece goes on to explain that if a trooper was seriously injured, losing an arm or a leg for example, then they would be ordered to Walter Reed Army Medical Center or another U.S. military medical facility. They would have to remain there until a treatment oversight board gave the green light to return to service or make a success transition to civilian life.

Even if the soldier wants to deal with his or her problems on her own, tough luck. That's not how it works with physical injuries. It's a different matter with psychological injuries, however.

But because many post-traumatic stress symptoms do not appear until months after a service member's return from combat, those with the disorder don't get the same kind of "tough love." Instead, when symptoms - including "occupational instability" - appear, service members like Smith often are discharged for failing to maintain military standards, Gilberd said.

"Often what we find is folks who are showing symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder, symptoms which are treated as misconduct," Gilberd said. "So they are discharged by reason of misconduct, usually with other-than-honorable discharge."

Sometimes, veterans advocates say, that leaves former service members ineligible for treatment by the VA[/b]

The article introduces the reader to Walter Smith, a veteran who served in Iraq only to come home to his dark struggles with combat PTSD. Police had to intervene once in 2004 when he held a gun to his head; he'd sought help from the VA over and over again with no relief; and he now sits in jail awaiting trial for the March 26, 2006 drowning murder of the mother of his children. Another unfortunate incident to add to the PTSD Timeline.

Wayde Broberg, Smith's former roommate and a fellow member of the Utah-based company of Marines called to duty for the invasion of Iraq in the spring of 2003, ... said he and Smith hung out with a group of about eight Marines, all of whom saw heavy fighting in Iraq and all of whom suffered from post-traumatic stress. "In our little circle of pals - we hung out together, we fought together - none of us still go to the VA because it's a waste of time," Broberg said. "Wally was the only one still trying to go."

Broberg said Smith "tried 100 different times" to get help from the Veterans Affairs medical system. "Probably two or four times a month, he'd go up to the VA," he said. "He didn't get what he was looking for."

Susan Huff, a spokeswoman for the George E. Wallen VA Medical Center in Salt Lake City, where Smith and his fellow Marines say they sought treatment, would not respond to questions about individual cases but said the number of veterans being assessed for post-traumatic stress has increased 75 percent over the past year.

With the crush of returning troops coming in for care, the ability to help every one of them is reduced.

The VA Office of Inspector General concluded in a recent report that post-traumatic stress disorder treatment at the VA "is woefully inadequate." Paul Rieckhoff, director of the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, put it another way: He called the lack of support the Utah Marines appear to have received for their illnesses "par for the course."

"There's a joke in the veterans' community: If you don't have post-traumatic stress disorder before you arrive at the VA, you'll have it before you leave," Rieckhoff said, "because you'll get so aggravated with dealing with all the red tape." ...

"There needs to be a proactive system, not one that waits for problems to develop," he said. "We can pay for the transitional care, pay for screenings and pay for a proactive approach now, or we can pay for jail cells, lawyers and trials later on."

A very sad state of veterans affairs.

And  the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, 
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40

Offline larsonstdoc

VA Hospital Scandal
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 10:02:36 AM »
ttp://www.omaha.com/article/20110415/AP09/304159982#veterans-advocate-kills-self-after-war-tours                         

Veterans advocate kills self after war tours
By KIMBERLY HEFLING
« National APShare
ADVERTISEMENT

WASHINGTON (AP) - Handsome and friendly, Clay Hunt so epitomized a vibrant Iraq veteran that he was chosen for a public service announcement reminding veterans that they aren't alone.
The 28-year-old former Marine corporal earned a Purple Heart after taking a sniper's bullet in his left wrist. He returned to combat in Afghanistan. Upon his return home, he lobbied for veterans on Capitol Hill, road-biked with wounded veterans and performed humanitarian work in Haiti and Chile.
Then, on March 31, Hunt bolted himself in his Houston apartment and shot himself.
Friends and family say he was wracked with survivor's guilt, depression and other emotional struggles after combat.
Hunt's death has shaken many veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Those who knew him wonder why someone who seemed to be doing all the right things to deal with combat-related issues is now dead.
"We know we have a problem with vets' suicide, but this was really a slap in the face," said Matthew Pelak, 32, an Iraq veteran who worked with Hunt in Haiti as part of the nonprofit group Team Rubicon.
After news of Hunt's death spread, workers from the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors met with veterans visiting Washington for the annual lobbying effort by the nonprofit Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans, or IAVA. A year earlier, Hunt had been with other veterans in dark suits calling on Congress to improve the disability claims process.
He had appeared in the group's ads encouraging veterans to seek support from an online network of fellow veterans.
Snapshots posted on Facebook reflect a mostly grinning Hunt. In one, he has a beard and is surrounded by Haitian kids. A second shows him on the Capitol steps with fellow veterans. There's a shot of him from the back on a bike using his right arm to help push another bicyclist who is helping to guide an amputee in a specially modified bike.
Friends and family say Hunt suffered from depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. But with his boundless energy and countless friends, he came across as an example of how to live life after combat.
"I think everybody saw him as the guy that was battling it, but winning the battle every day," said Jacob Wood, 27, a friend who served with Hunt in the Marines and in Haiti with Team Rubicon.
But some knew he was grieving over several close friends in the Marines who were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.
"He was very despondent about why he was alive and so many people he served with directly were not alive," said John Wordin, 48, the founder of Ride 2 Recovery, a program that uses bicycling to help veterans heal physically and mentally.
In 2007, while in Iraq with the Marine's 2nd Battalion, 7th Regiment, Hunt heard over the radio that his 20-year-old bunkmate had died in a roadside bombing. Hunt later wrote online about sleeping in his bunkmate's bed. "I just wanted to be closer to him, I guess. But I couldn't - he was gone."
A month later, Hunt was pinned by enemy fire in his truck as a fellow Marine, shot in the throat by a sniper, lay nearby. Hunt wrote that seeing his friend placed in a helicopter, where he died, is "a scene that plays on repeat in my head nearly every day, and most nights as well."
Three days later, a sniper's bullet missed Hunt's head by inches and hit his wrist. He didn't immediately leave Iraq. His parents say Hunt asked to fly to a military hospital in Germany a day later so he could accompany a fellow Marine who was shot in both legs.
"I know he's seen some traumatic stuff in his time and I guess he holds that to himself," said Marine Sgt. Oscar Garza, 26, who served with Hunt in Iraq. "He was a very compassionate Marine, a very passionate person, one of the few people that I know that has a big heart and feels a lot of people's pain and makes it his own."
Hunt's mother, Susan Selke, said after Hunt was wounded, she'd hoped her son would get out of the military. Instead, he went to school to be a scout-sniper and went to Afghanistan. He seemed to do well. He was honorably discharged in 2009, married and enrolled at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles.
He was frustrated by the Veterans Affairs Department's handling of his disability claim. He also piled up thousands of dollars in credit card debt as he waited for his GI Bill payments. Hunt found an outlet to help improve the system by doing work with IAVA. He helped build bikes for Ride 2 Recovery and participated in long rides.
Using his military training, he went to Haiti several times and Chile once to help with the countries' earthquake relief efforts. He proudly told his parents of splinting an infant's leg, and after meeting a young orphaned boy in Haiti named D'James, tried to persuade his family to adopt him.
"If I had one thing to say to my fellow veterans, it would be this: Continue to serve, even though we have taken off our uniforms," Hunt wrote in an online testimonial for Team Rubicon. "No matter how great or small your service is, it is desired and needed by the world we live in today."
Hunt's friends say he was an idealist and voiced frustration that he couldn't make changes overnight. He also questioned why troops were still dying.
"He really was looking for someone to tell him what it was he went over to do and why those sacrifices were made," Wood said.
Last year, Hunt's life took a downward spiral. His marriage ended, he dropped out of school and he began to have suicidal thoughts, his mother said. She said Hunt sought counseling from the VA and moved in temporarily with Wordin in California.

Offline larsonstdoc

Why Does The U.S. Government Treat Military Veterans Like Human Garbage?
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 03:45:39 PM »
http://blacklistednews.com/?news_id=21267&print=1

MORE AT THE LINK

August 29, 2012

Source: Michael Snyder, BLN Contributing Writer

The way that the U.S. government treats military veterans is absolutely disgraceful.  Men and women that have given everything for this nation are literally being treated like human garbage by their own government.  After watching how vets are treated, it is absolutely amazing that anyone is still volunteering to be a part of the military.  We pay those in the military like crap, we keep sending our best soldiers back to Afghanistan and Iraq again and again, we don't equip them properly, military suicides are at a record pace, hundreds of thousands of applications for veteran benefits are hopelessly backlogged, homelessness and unemployment among vets is much higher than for the general population, the condition of most VA hospitals is an absolute disgrace, and to top everything off now the Obama administration has started labeling military veterans as "potential terrorists".  What you are about to read should make you very angry.  The abuse, neglect and outright disrespect that military vets receive from their own government is absolutely shocking.  We owe these men and women a great debt for the service that they have performed for our nation, but instead the federal government kicks them to the curb and treats them with no honor whatsoever.  The way a nation treats military vets says a lot about the character of that nation, and right now the way that America treats veterans says that we have the character of a steaming pile of manure.

Multiple Tours Of Duty

The U.S. military just keeps sending young men and women back to Iraq and Afghanistan over and over again without any regard for what the consequences might be.

If you can believe it, an astounding 20 percent of all active duty soldiers in the U.S. Army are on at least their third tour of duty.

Many others have done four tours of duty or more.

The following is from a recent Christian Science Monitor article....

Some 107,000 Army soldiers have been deployed to war three or more times since 2001, or some 20 percent of the active-duty force. More than 50,000 of those currently in uniform have completed four or more combat tours, Army figures indicate.

The physical, mental and emotional toll of these multiple tours of duty should not be underestimated.  It is absolutely unprecedented in U.S. history for so many men to be sent back into frequent combat situations so repeatedly.  The price of this foolishness could potentially be felt throughout our society for decades to come.

Record Number Of Suicides8
The fact that many of our soldiers are spending way too much time in active war zones is a big reason why military suicides are at a record pace so far in 2012.

The stress of combat duty builds up over time.  The physical, mental and emotional fatigue that comes with serving in combat is immense.  Many soldiers see their marriages end, and others are left with severe physical and mental disabilities.

At some point many serving in the military cannot take it anymore and they commit suicide.

During the month of July, there were 56 suicides in the U.S. military in just 31 days.

That is absolutely disgraceful, but very little is being done about the underlying causes of these suicides.

Paying To Get Your Medal?

Many U.S. soldiers return home from war only to find that they are being billed by their own government.

One soldier even discovered that he was going to have to pay a 21 dollar shipping fee to get his Purple Heart.  The following is from the Huffington Post....

War comes with an incalculable human cost. And apparently a shipping fee of about $21.

Retired Sgt. Major Rob Dickerson says that's the price he was forced to pay when his Purple Heart -- the medal issued to soldiers wounded in action -- arrived at his door, C.O.D.

Instead of being awarded the military honor in a formal ceremony, the vet with 29 years in the service was handed his award, and a shipping invoice, by a FedEx deliveryman outside his Sioux Falls, S.D., home.

Endless Waiting For Veteran Benefits

You would think that soldiers returning from war should quickly and easily be able to apply for the veteran benefits that they are owed.

Unfortunately, the complete opposite is the case.

As I have written about previously, applying for veteran benefits is extremely complicated, and VA employees are actually paid bonuses for denying claims....

The truth is that we have made it extremely difficult for our military veterans to claim the benefits that we have promised them.  Vets have to fill out an absurdly complicated 23 page application and if they make even one small mistake their applications can be stonewalled for years.  The U.S. Veterans Administration actually has a policy under which they pay large bonuses to employees that meet certain application processing goals.  This explains why approximately 70% of the claims submitted to the Veterans Administration are refused or sent back to be redone.  In fact, using the Freedom of Information Act, one local NBC station was able to learn that $250,000 was paid in bonuses to VA employees who work inside the Poff Federal Building in Roanoke, Virginia in just one year alone.

Not only that, but a report issued by the VA's Office of Inspector General said the department issued millions of dollars in performance awards to employees nationwide over a two year period in 2007 and 2008.

According to CNN, one retired VA official was singled out for improperly approving a very large number of bonuses and the report said that she "acted as if she was given a blank checkbook to write unlimited monetary awards."

Even if you do fill out your paperwork correctly, at best you are going to be waiting many months to find out if your claim is approved or not....

The average claim adjudication wait time is as few as 183 days or as many as 300, depending on who you ask. Claims processed in Oakland, Calif., the second-worst backlogged region in the nation according to a May Inspector General’s report, take nearly a year to get approved or denied. The backlog worsened in 2010 when VA Secretary Eric Shinseki added a handful of new medical conditions to the list of ailments presumed connected with exposure to the Vietnam-era herbicide Agent Orange, a move that was lauded by veterans’ groups. But this month the VA officials announced they were nearing the end of processing about 230,000 retroactive Agent Orange claims. And the majority of the nearly 920,000 total claims still pending before the department remain overdue.

Many veterans feel that they would be better off sending their documents into a black hole than sending them to the VA.  The level of negligence at some VA offices is absolutely shocking....

Back in 2009, a VA office in Detroit turned in 16,000 unprocessed mail and 717 unprocessed documents that were stuck in storage and hadn’t even been looked at. Many other documents were found in shredding bins, not just in one office but in several regional offices.

The truth is that thousands upon thousands of vets that legitimately should be getting benefits are having their claims denied.  Just check out the following example from a recent Veterans Today article....

In one case, we found a veteran with 40 percent of his brain removed found to be healthy and employable.  He was also missing his right arm.  The physician who examined him over looked the arm and failed to note the cognitive degeneration the traumatic brain injury had caused.

What in the world is wrong with us?

How can we treat our vets this way?

Horrific Economic Problems

The unemployment rate for veterans is much higher than the overall rate of unemployment, and military veterans are losing their homes at a much faster rate than the general population as well.

According to Veterans Today, a shockingly high percentage of military families have been losing their homes since 2008....

Figures lie, some groups are counted, some are not.  But the lowest figures available have one in three families, this includes active duty serving overseas, reservists and National Guard and veterans losing their homes since 2008.

Two thirds of those are now “split up” with at least one member listed as “homeless.”  Almost all are, according to official figures, “living in poverty.”

200,000 Military Veterans Sleeping On The Streets Of America

The U.S. government does not prepare our vets to come back and reintegrate into society.  They just kind of kick them to the curb and hope that they can find jobs.

Sadly, homeless vets will be sleeping the streets of every major U.S. city tonight.  The following is from a recent article in the Los Angeles Times....

According to the latest count by the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, the number of homeless individuals in Los Angeles County dropped by 3% between 2009 and 2011. The numbers declined for all groups except one: veterans. There were 9,000 homeless veterans here in 2011, a 24% increase over 2009. And the number of chronically homeless veterans — individuals who are homeless because of severe mental disabilities — increased by more than 100%, from 1,243 to 2,520.

And more are coming. California's Department of Veterans Affairs estimated in 2009 that 28,000 vets would return from Iraq and Afghanistan per year during this administration.

Overall, it is estimated that 200,000 military veterans will be sleeping on the streets of America tonight.

Say a prayer for them because they need it.

The Shocking Condition Of VA Hospitals

When wounded soldiers come home from the battlefield the U.S. government has a responsibility to take care of them properly.

Unfortunately, the truth is that many facilities for veterans are absolute hellholes.  The following is from a recent article in the Washington Post....

Behind the door of Army Spec. Jeremy Duncan's room, part of the wall is torn and hangs in the air, weighted down with black mold. When the wounded combat engineer stands in his shower and looks up, he can see the bathtub on the floor above through a rotted hole. The entire building, constructed between the world wars, often smells like greasy carry-out. Signs of neglect are everywhere: mouse droppings, belly-up cockroaches, stained carpets, cheap mattresses.

This is the world of Building 18, not the kind of place where Duncan expected to recover when he was evacuated to Walter Reed Army Medical Center from Iraq last February with a broken neck and a shredded left ear, nearly dead from blood loss.

How in the world can we do this to our vets?

Today, it takes military vets an average of seven months to get an appointment at a VA facility.

They are not getting the care that they need, and it would be a tremendous understatement to say that the condition of many VA facilities is absolutely horrendous.

A while back, ABC News did an in-depth investigation of conditions at VA facilities across the United States.  What ABC News found was absolutely shocking.  The following are just a few of the things that they discovered during the course of their investigation.....

*Bathrooms filthy with what appeared to be human excrement

*Dirty linens from some patients mixed in with clean supplies

*Examining tables that had dried blood and medications still on them

*Equipment used to sterilize surgical instruments that had broken down

*Some patients were forced to beg for food and water

*Veterans that were neglected so badly that they developed horrific bedsores and dangerous infections

This is the kind of thing you would expect in a third world country, not the United States of America.

Offline Kilika

• Thank you Jesus!
Re: Why Does The U.S. Government Treat Military Veterans Like Human Garbage?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 04:40:56 PM »
I see it as a manner of distancing themselves from the horrors they put them through. They want them to do the dirty work, but don't want anything to do with them once the deed is done. Eventually, if you smack a dog enough times, he will bite back, so the government needs a fresh stream of new dogs!
"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
1 Timothy 6:10 (KJB)

Offline Geolibertarian

• Global Moderator
Re: Why Does The U.S. Government Treat Military Veterans Like Human Garbage?
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »
Why Does The U.S. Government Treat Military Veterans Like Human Garbage?

If you posed that question to someone with a "support the troops" bumper sticker on his car, what would his likely response be?

"If our nation can issue a dollar bond, it can issue a dollar bill." -- Thomas Edison

Offline larsonstdoc

NYC Food Bank Head: 40% Of Veterans Need Food Assistance
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 03:16:37 PM »
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/11/10/nyc-food-bank-head-40-of-veterans-need-food-assistance/

Where are the jerks that have those yellow ribbons that say SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS?  As a veteran, I can tell you the best thing we have is the VA Hospital/Clinic System.  JUST THINK WHERE WE WOULD BE WITH OBAMACARE IF WE VETS DIDN'T HAVE HEALTHCARE--back alley medicine.

95,000 Former Service Members In NYC Eating At Soup Kitchens, Pantries

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Veterans are returning to New York City from their service only to be faced with going hungry, the head a city food bank said.

As WCBS 880′s Monica Miller reported, Margarette Purvis, president and CEO of the Food Bank for New York City, tried to raise awareness about the plight of former service members during a speech in the Bronx on Sunday.

Veterans Day is Monday.

“On this Veterans Day, when we’re waving our flags — I need every New Yorker to know — 40 percent of New York City veterans are relying on soup kitchens and pantries,”
Purvis said.

That amounts to 95,000 people.

“That is not a guesstimate; that is a fact,” she said.

Offline Geolibertarian

• Global Moderator
Re: NYC Food Bank Head: 40% Of Veterans Need Food Assistance
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 03:38:43 PM »
“On this Veterans Day, when we’re waving our flags — I need every New Yorker to know — 40 percent of New York City veterans are relying on soup kitchens and pantries,” Purvis said.

Will the Republican reactionaries at FOX "News" give this even half the attention they gave that San Diego beach bum?

------------------------------

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/08/09/foxs-shameless-misrepresentation-of-snap-recipi/195338

Fox's Shameless Misrepresentation Of SNAP Recipients

Baier: "When A Safety Net Becomes A Hammock"

Samantha Wyatt
Media Matters
August 9, 2013

In an attempt to make a surfing freeloader the face of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) recipients, a Fox News special profiled Jason Greenslate, "a blissfully jobless California surfer" who has taken advantage of SNAP benefits. In reality, Greenslate bears no resemblance to the overwhelming majority of SNAP recipients, many of whom are elderly, children, or rely on the program for a short time while looking for work.

Prior to its August 9 airing, Fox News hyped the special, "The Great Food Stamp Binge," on Fox News Insider, FoxNews.com, and several of its daytime shows. Each preview focused on Jason Greenslate, a freeloading surfer who Fox correspondent John Roberts interviewed in Southern California. FoxNews.com described Greenslate at length in an article that teased the "new documentary":

The Fox News Reporting documentary profiles, among others, a California surfer and aspiring musician named Jason Greenslate. Greenslate shows how he supports his beach-bum lifestyle with food stamps, while dismissing the idea of holding down a regular, steady job.

"It's not that I don't want a job, I don't want a boss. I don't want someone telling me what to do.  I'm gonna live my own life," Greenslate tells Fox News' John Roberts. "This is the way I want to live. And I don't really see anything changing. I got the card. It's $200. That's it."

As promised, "The Great Food Stamp Binge" labeled Greenslate "the new face of food stamps," devoting two full segments to his lifestyle in a shameless attempt to characterize SNAP recipients as freeloaders.

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service, the fraud and waste rate in SNAP is roughly 1 percent, contrary to recent Fox claims that the program is rife with fraud.

Unlike Greenslate, 41 percent of food stamp recipients live "in a household with earnings," and use SNAP benefits to supplement their primary source of income. Furthermore, the USDA reports that most food stamp recipients stay in the program for only a short period of time:

Half of all new SNAP participants received benefits for 10 months or less in the mid 2000s, up from 8 months in the early 2000s. Single parent families and elderly individuals tended to stay in the program longer than did working poor individuals, childless adults without disabilities, and noncitizens. Seventy-four percent of new participants left the program within two years. This is an increase from 71 percent in the early 1990s.

Fox's attempt to demonize food stamp recipients as a caricature of willful dependency ignores the fact that SNAP kept 4.7 million people out of poverty in 2011, many of whom are children or the elderly. Unlike Greenslate, the majority of these individuals relied on the program not because of laziness, but necessity.

[Continued...]

Fox News Blatantly Lies About Food Stamps in This Ridiculous Faux-Documentary

by Shana Mansbach
PolicyMic
August 12, 2013

Fox News and a handful of other conservative outlets attempted to rile up their audiences this week when they reported on Jason Greenslate, San Diego beach bum and supposed Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) abuser. Greenslate, interviewed as part of a Fox documentary entitled The Great Food Stamp Binge, is quoted as bragging about his lackadaisical lifestyle, full of lobster dinners and shameless flirting, all while living on the government's tab. It was an underhanded gambit, designed to whip up anti-food-stamp fervor, and a quick look into the details shows that it wildly misrepresents the plight of needy Americans.

Fox alleges that the SNAP program is full of examples like Greenslate, who are content with living off handouts from the government. In reality, 76% of households receiving SNAP benefits include children, the elderly, and disabled individuals. 91% of benefits are paid out to families living at or below the federal poverty line ($19,530 for a family of three). Finally, the average SNAP household has a gross monthly income of $744, with countable resources (such as a bank account) of only $331. Clearly, the overwhelming majority of food stamp beneficiaries are not free riders or idle individuals, as Fox would have its audience believe.

Watch part of the documentary below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgSLYZBNNng

The news stories go on to argue that food stamp participation has increased about 13% since 2008, costing taxpayers millions. What they fail to acknowledge is that this increase follows the Great Recession of 2009 in which the number of unemployed Americans grew by 94% from 2007 to 2011. SNAP is designed to be responsive to changes in need; the number of beneficiaries will rise in times of financial hardship and fall in times of economic prosperity. As the economy begins its slow recovery, SNAP enrollment growth has already slowed and is predicted to fall beginning 2015. And as the non-partisan Center on Budget and Policy Priorities has repeatedly stressed, SNAP does not contribute to the nation's long-term budget problems.

Given these statistics, Greenslate's story seems to be a significant anomaly. Looking closer, however, we see that it's simply the result of bad reporting. Greenslate is depicted as living a highly luxurious lifestyle — on a typical day, he’ll "wake up, go down to the beach, hang out with my friends, hit on some chicks, start drinking" — but the numbers don't add up. He reports receiving benefits of $200 a month, which works out to $6.66 a day, or $2.22. And since that the cost of living in San Diego is the ninth highest in the nation, it seems highly improbable that Greenslate is really living the life he says he is based on food stamps alone.

This sensationalized story represents a dishonest attempt to portray food stamp recipients as lazy and deceitful. It distracts from the serious plights of the 78 million Americans who don't have secure access to food. SNAP has been invaluable, keeping 4.7 million people out of poverty in 2011, but the reality is that it doesn't go far enough. The average monthly benefit provides a paltry $1.50 per meal, and nearly one third of food-insecure individuals are not eligible for any federal food assistance at all. Before demonizing the needy, Fox and its affiliates should start looking at the numbers and get the story right.

http://www.texasobserver.org/food-bank-ceo-responds-to-a-fox-news-attack-on-food-stamps/

Food Bank CEO Responds to a Fox News Attack on Food Stamps

by Ian Dille
The Texas Observer
August 13, 2013

Screen grab from "Fox News Reporting: The Great
Food Stamp Binge."

Given the Republican rumblings in Congress, Celia Cole, the CEO of the Texas Food Bank Network, figured it was only a matter of time before Fox News launched an attack on SNAP, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program better known as food stamps.

This summer, House Republicans held up a bipartisan Senate Farm Bill with demands for $40 billion in cuts to the food stamps program, as well as work and drug testing requirements for beneficiaries. (A previous bill with only $20 billion in cuts failed in June because they were deemed not deep enough.) The ethos espoused by House bill backers is that the best way to help the poor and hungry is to let them help themselves. Legislators also cited misuse and fraud as pressing concerns.

Then, on Friday, Fox News aired a special report titled “The Great Food Stamp Binge.” The network inferred that the dramatic rise in food stamp recipients, from 28 million to 47 million since 2008, was a result of the Obama administration’s welfare society and an affront to American self-reliance and mettle. The surge in people on food stamps, the special argued, has nothing to do with our crappy economy and the working poor who need help buying food for their families. Instead Fox posited that it could be a conspiracy to grow the size of government.

Fox interviewed an unemployed beach bum and aspiring rock star in La Jolla, California who bought a lobster with a SNAP card. The special also pointed to a social worker acting on behalf of the USDA who’s allegedly tearing down “mountain pride” in Appalachia—the mindset that families should tighten their belt straps (literally) before relying on government help—by getting residents in Ashe County, North Carolina to use SNAP funds on seeds for their gardens, a sort of gateway drug to wider food stamp usage. The Fox special was catnip for conservative bloggers and live bait for other media outlets.

“Normally we don’t justify these kinds of reports with a response,” Cole told the Observer. But in this case, Cole said, the Texas Food Bank Network felt compelled to address the misinformation. “Too many people judge the poor without ever walking in their shoes,” she said. The Fox special, she added, failed to interview anyone suffering from poverty and lack of access to nutritious food.

“The truth is that one in seven Americans do receive SNAP because one in seven Americans live at or below the poverty level,” Cole stated in a press release on Monday. “SNAP is also one of the most efficient and effective government programs with program error and fraud at historic lows. Less than four percent of benefits are issued in error.”

Moreover, the food stamps program doesn’t serve as a long-term form of dependency for most recipients, Cole said in a follow-up interview. The average participant receives benefits for 19 months, and new applicants typically receive benefits for just nine months. Cole said the program is correlative to people’s income—when it drops, they go on food stamps, and when it rises again, they go off the program.

[Continued...]

------------------------------

-- "The budget [by Senator Rand Paul] provides two years of war funding, at the President’s requested levels."

-- "The food stamp program and the child nutrition program" (cut)

-- "The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program" (eliminate)

-- "Affordable Housing Program" (eliminate)

Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20120523011347/http://campaignforliberty.com/materials/RandBudget.pdf

Offline Geniocrat

Re: NYC Food Bank Head: 40% Of Veterans Need Food Assistance
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 05:37:05 PM »
But will they take responsibility and stop voting Republican so mindlessly ?

I am a Veteran too, but damn folks, veterans are as guilty for voting Republican as blacks are for voting Obama.

http://www.constitutionparty.com  The Official Website

Constitution Party Promotional Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_SobkISNrY

Offline chris jones

VA Hospital Scandal
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 08:30:32 PM »
OIG is finally getting the scoop about the VA's ignoring veterans, some vets waiting weeks & longer for medical attention. Whistle blowers are coming out on this, insiders w/ a conscience..

Phoenix VA officials put on leave after denial of secret wait list,           well paid and remaining stump[/b].

(CNN) -- The director of the Phoenix Veterans Affairs Health Care ... exposed in a series of exclusive reports by the CNN Investigations unit.
Obama faces questions about 'secret waiting list' at Phoenix ...
Washington Post (blog)‎ -  Josh Hicks                                                                   ‎G.Carlin said: get it, they don't care![/b
VA chief Eric Shinseki not talking about delay.
              Even CNN chased this one!

Offline donnay

• Live Free Or Die Trying!
Re: Veterans ignored by the VA, exposed finally.
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 09:16:38 PM »
OIG is finally getting the scoop about the VA's ignoring veterans, some vets waiting weeks & longer for medical attention. Whistle blowers are coming out on this, insiders w/ a conscience..

Phoenix VA officials put on leave after denial of secret wait list,           well paid and remaining stump[/b].

(CNN) -- The director of the Phoenix Veterans Affairs Health Care ... exposed in a series of exclusive reports by the CNN Investigations unit.
Obama faces questions about 'secret waiting list' at Phoenix ...
Washington Post (blog)‎ -  Josh Hicks                                                                   ‎G.Carlin said: get it, they don't care![/b
VA chief Eric Shinseki not talking about delay.
              Even CNN chased this one!

Good I hope it floods the networks how this government supports the troops!  >:(
"Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace." ~ Rod Serling
"Cops today are nothing but an armed tax collector" ~ Frank Serpico
"To be normal, to drink Coca-Cola and eat Kentucky Fried Chicken is to be in a conspiracy against yourself."
"People that don't want to make waves sit in stagnant waters."

Offline JohnBFTOR

• The Banksters Of Trilateral
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2014, 09:32:45 PM »
BTW

This NEVER would have seen the light of day if it had NOT been for a 'doctor' whistleblower EVEN THOUGH THE VA PATENTS HAVE BROUGHT THIS FACT BEFORE THE PUBLIC MANY, MANY TIMES.
Some say that I've been Delphied I'm not sure what it means.  They say that I'm a victim of some much bigger scheme. Do you believe it?
http://www.iror.org/delphied.asp

Have you been Delphied?

Mass Hopenosis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y32uFsgFmeQ

Offline chris jones

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2014, 10:02:17 PM »
BTW

This NEVER would have seen the light of day if it had NOT been for a 'doctor' whistleblower EVEN THOUGH THE VA PATENTS HAVE BROUGHT THIS FACT BEFORE THE PUBLIC MANY, MANY TIMES.
                YES, that was the kicker, an insider found the courage to do the right thing.. I heard she hid the reports  that were to be destroyed, proof the VA was mucking the vets.
                Veterans have brought this up for a couple of years, but here we have it, they are the peons, cannon fodder.
                   Finally a true American with guts and undeniable credibility has stood up...Bless her heart...
                        Whistle blowing or how about being honest, courageous, Americans.

Offline JohnBFTOR

• The Banksters Of Trilateral
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 10:04:54 PM »
                YES, that was the kicker, an insider found the courage to do the right thing.. I heard she hid the reports  that were to be destroyed, proof the VA was mucking the vets.
                Veterans have brought this up for a couple of years, but here we have it, they are the peons, cannon fodder.
                   Finally a true American with guts and undeniable credibility has stood up...Bless her heart...
                        Whistle blowing or how about being honest, courageous, Americans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqmC1T9rukk
Some say that I've been Delphied I'm not sure what it means.  They say that I'm a victim of some much bigger scheme. Do you believe it?
http://www.iror.org/delphied.asp

Have you been Delphied?

Mass Hopenosis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y32uFsgFmeQ

Offline chris jones

VA Hospital Scandal
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 06:31:29 PM »
Shinseki Out: Obama Says He's Accepted VA Chief's ...
►►
www.nbcnews.com/.../va.../shinseki-out-obama-says-h...
4 hors ago.
Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki has resigned amid explosive charges of mismanagement ...
 Carrie Dann
That's it, a mucker gets the boot,so it's all over.                      No worries, this guy has millions $$$$$$$$$$.
Shinseki has always been good at rising through the ranks, so to speak. From 2009 to 2012 (the last year data is available) Secretary Shinseki rose from his rank of 35th richest Obama Cabinet Appointee to his current position of thirteenth wealthiest Obama cabinet member. Not bad for a guy who is paid $199,000 US tax dollars per year.
Read more at http://freedomoutpost.com/2014/01/eric-shinseki-obamas-6-million-dollar-government-educated-ostrich/#XZXDJYffGpA68w6x.99
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
View full reports for all years   
Net Worth:    From $2,175,081 to $5,900,999
Executive Branch Members
Assets:    32 totaling $2,425,081 to $6,001,000
Liabilities:    2 totaling $350,002 to $750,000
Transactions:    14 totaling $361,013 to $915,000
Agreements:    3
Compensation:    0
Income:    0

Positions Held:    3
Travel:    0
Gifts:    0
Honoraria:    0
Feel free to distribute or cite this material, b

Offline Dude447

Re: VA Big Dog resigns with $$$$$$$.
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 07:12:45 PM »
 Hi chris. Well in my view all vets in all the wars since World war 1 and probably before  have been treated badly they deserve better (not just your USA vets ) , and maybe just maybe we should not be fighting in so many places that we are .

Offline Catalina

• Government Censorship, Protecting You From Reality
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 07:13:58 PM »
Spare no cost for truth's sake, neither depart from it for any gain. -Proverbs 23:23

Bestow not the gifts that God has given you to get worldly riches. -Proverbs 23:4

Offline chris jones

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 08:22:41 PM »
As so has the White House Press Secretary resigned, $$$$$ no worries for him either.

Riding the suk train...( Pitch man for the crew)

.... White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer, Press Secretary Jay Carney, Cabinet Secretary Chrisopher Lu, and senior advisers David Plouffe and Valerie Jarrett...  Each of them earns the maximum White House salary of $172,200 per year, records show.
BUT:Obama's Millionaires | Washington Free Beacon
freebeacon.com/politics/obamas-millionaires/
10/07/2012 - Jay Carney, Valerie Jarrett -- AP. BY: Andrew Stiles Follow @ ... Jarrett's net worth is between $3.3 million and $13 million. Lu is worth between ...
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/podium-shuffle-carney-resigns-white-house-press-secretary-n118686
Not long after President Barack Obama’s historic 2008 victory, Jay Carney left his perch as TIME magazine’s Washington bureau chief to work for the incoming administration. But Carney, who started a new job as press secretary this week, continued reaping payments from the struggling magazine, collecting $270,000 in 2009, according to a newly released disclosure form.

Carney’s personal financial disclosure statement, released by the White House Monday evening, shows that in 2009 TIME paid him a $58,000 bonus — for work he did in 2008, when he helped direct the magazine’s coverage of the presidential campaign — as well as a $212,000 severance payment.
Read more: http://www.politic.com/news/stories/0211/49548.html#ixzz33FHp3NW6
Just to mention...Nancy Pelosi: Her net worth jumped 62% in 2010 in the face of a recession. She is worth an average of $87 million.
Harry Reid: Net worth about $10 million now but only $1 million when he entered office.A pitch man for the crew.

Offline iamc2

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2014, 02:06:38 AM »
 Glad to see Shinseki and Carney get shot down: As we say: "Kill Two Bird-Brains with one Stoned President::)  ???  ;D
"When the Truth was murdered:
Common Sense ran away..."

Offline Seeing

• I see you
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2014, 02:08:34 AM »
The rats are beginning to jump ship.

Offline iamc2

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2014, 02:22:35 AM »
The rats are beginning to jump ship.
  ;D Yes Mate and the RATS are many... :D
"When the Truth was murdered:
Common Sense ran away..."

Offline Effie Trinket

VA hospitals fund solar panels while veterans die waiting for doctors
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2014, 11:16:14 AM »
"Veterans Administration hospitals have spent at least $420 million on solar panels and windmills while vets wait months — or even lay dying — to see a doctor.

In total, VA hospitals reported 23 deaths due to 76 instances of delayed care, an April 2014 VA fact sheet said. Then on June 5, Acting Veteran Affairs Secretary Sloan Gibson revealed that at least 18 Phoenix patients died while waiting for treatment on a secret list kept off the books. It is not clear if that number is in addition to the 23 deaths reported earlier. During the past month, the scandal has resulted in the resignations of both the VA secretary and the leaders of its health care component.

According to a June 3 audit, 100,000 veterans had lengthy wait times for appointments. Of the nation’s 216 VA hospitals, 37 percent will require further investigation.

A whistleblower revealed Tuesday that seven of the patients listed on the Phoenix VA hospitals waiting list are already dead. That same Phoenix facility spent $20 million to build the nation’s largest solar carport. Phase one of the project was completed in 2011. The hospital also had an $11.4 million shortfall that year, an Inspector General’s report stated.

Also in 2011, only 49 percent of first-time patients nationwide got a full mental health evaluation within the VA’s own goal of within 14 days after initial contact, the IG’s report said.

The Phoenix hospital is not the only VA hospital to have installed solar panels while hiding long wait times. Millions in stimulus funds were used to install panels on two facilities, one Albuquerque, N.M., and another in nearby Tucson, Ariz.. With the latter, the VA spent $14.7 million between 2010 and 2012 to install solar panels on the roof of its medical center. The contract was awarded to REC Solar, the sixth-largest recipient of stimulus funds from the VA.

During the time of the solar project, one patient at the Tucson, Ariz., hospital died of colon cancer after not getting a routine colonoscopy. That death was revealed in a fact sheet the VA released in early April after an internal investigation.

Ironically, Rep. Raúl M. Grijalva, D-Ariz., recently praised the Tucson hospital for its “exemplary services.” The Inspector General’s report gave the hospital three out of five stars for performance in 2013 while the Phoenix facility earned just one star.

Even though the epicenter of the scandal remains in Phoenix, Albuquerque, N.M., has come under fire recently for falsely stating wait times and manipulating statistics to receive bonuses.

A 2012 audit by the VA’s Southwest Health Care Network revealed that VA administrators have known about the fabricated reports for two years. That audit went public only after the Arizona Republic received the document in response to a Freedom of Information Act request.

During the time the VA was made aware that wait times were being falsified, it was spending nearly $15 million to fund solar panels for the hospital."

http://watchdog.org/156746/va-hospitals/
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110404005368/en#.U7IwVfldWlv
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/23/us/phoenix-va-deaths-new-allegations/

Offline chris jones

Re: VA hospitals fund solar panels while veterans die waiting for doctors
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 11:51:42 AM »
Solar pannels VS Veterans.
                                   Vets are not profitable $$$$$$$$$

Offline Optimus

• Globalist Destroyer
  • Global Moderator
    • GlobalGulag.com
Veteran dies after waiting for ambulance in VA Hospital cafeteria
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 11:44:34 AM »
Veteran dies after waiting for ambulance in VA Hospital cafeteria
Albuquerque veteran collapsed 4 minutes away from ER

9:12 AM MDT Jul 03, 2014

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. —A military veteran died Monday after waiting for an ambulance to take him 500 yards to the emergency room.

As it turns out, the problem was he was already at the Veterans Affairs Hospital.

Witnesses said a man collapsed in the cafeteria at the VA Hospital. Staff followed policy, called 911 and waited for an ambulance to drive him around the building to the ER.

The Albuquerque Fire Department said an ambulance dispatched a crew to the hospital Monday at 12:30 p.m. EMTs arrived at the scene and loaded the veteran in the ambulance. They drove him on the complex from one building to the other.

It takes four minutes to walk from the cafeteria to the VA's emergency room.

By the time the ambulance got to the cafeteria, loaded up the veteran and drove him around the building, it was too late to save the veteran.

More/Video: http://www.koat.com/news/veteran-dies-waiting-for-ambulance-in-va-hospital-cafeteria/26779446
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people,
it's an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” – Patrick Henry

>>> Global Gulag Media & Forum <<<

Offline chris jones

Re: Veteran dies after waiting for ambulance in VA Hospital cafeteria
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »
 May he RIP.
                 Some dipshiiit didn't want to accept responsability for a mans life, perhaps he was afraid of breaking protocol and going by the big dogs rules,, no chance for employees to bend the rules and save a mucken life.
                 Or maby the crew were lazy smucks, didn't want to risk their paycheck, mucken disqusting.
                  So much for the ability to react using ones independent thinking process or common sense..
                 Stuff like this goes global, what do you beleive foriegners think when they read shiite like this.

Offline larsonstdoc

New ‘VA Is Lying’ Billboard Opens Right Across From Phoenix VA Hospital
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2015, 10:38:33 AM »
http://dailycaller.com/2015/10/13/new-va-is-lying-billboard-opens-right-across-from-phoenix-va-hospital/

Directly across from the Department of Veterans Affairs facility in Phoenix stands a large billboard which reads, “VA Is Lying, Veterans Are Dying.”

The billboard is new as of Monday.

The Phoenix VA has become emblematic of scandal and corruption in the department. Whistleblower retaliation, police corruption, unauthorized access of private medical records, manipulating waitlists and poor staffing of the emergency room are just some of the allegations the embittered facility has had to face. It is ground zero of the waitlist manipulation controversy, which began in 2014 and led to the resignation of then-VA Secretary Eric Shinseki.

“We contend that VA is wildly corrupt and is currently operated for the profit and luxury of VA employees, VA contractors and certain corrupt politicians,” a VA is Lying press release read. “We hold that every member of Congress knows this. Many BILLIONS of tax dollars are devoured by VA each year, while VA consistently tells veterans there is no money for veteran health care.”

Brandon Coleman, a whistleblower at the facility who has suffered retaliation, was present for the opening of the billboard.

“The location of the billboard in Phoenix is perfect,” Coleman told The Daily Caller News Foundation. “It is directly across the street from the hospital which has also come to be known as “Ground Zero” in the VA scandal that started in 2014. In fact when director Glen Grippen shows up to work on Tuesday and looks out his window he will see the ‘VA is Lying’ sign perfectly. The sign lets these corrupt administrators know we are watching and we are not going away.”

One group, called “The VA is Lying”, thinks that the department prefers public relations spin and cover up to real accountability and reform. To send a message, the group is posting gigantic billboards outside some of the most troubled facilities in the country. Another billboard recently went up in Tampa.

Offline TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
Another BO boondoggle showing how he hates veterans ...  strange this was an NPR story ( giving cover to the failure? oh right vets should be in ObamaCare !!!! )

http://www.investors.com/politics/capital-hill/10-billion-later-the-va-makes-veterans-wait-even-longer-to-get-care/
$10 Billion Later, The VA Makes Veterans Wait Even Longer To Get Care
JOHN MERLINE
6:00 AM ET

When Congress rushed in two years ago to fix a chronic delay problem at the Veterans Health Administration, one of the key reforms was a new, $10 billion program called Veterans Choice.

The goal was to give vets an option of going to a private doctor if they weren’t able to get a timely appointment with a government-paid VHA doctor.

“If you live more than 40 miles from a VA facility, or if VA doctors can’t see you within a reasonable amount of time, you’ll have the chance to see a doctor outside the VA system,” is how President Obama
described it when he signed the bill in August 2014.

That sounded good. But in practice, the program has failed miserably. NPR reports that since the Veterans Choice program went into effect “wait times have gotten worse — not better.”  There are, the report says, 70,000 more vets waiting at least a month for an appointment than there were at this time last year.

What’s more, hospitals and doctors say they aren’t getting paid for treating vets, which has caused some to refuse to see Veterans Choice patients at all.

The VA, naturally, blames a surge in demand. But that’s precisely what the Choice program was supposed to address. As NPR notes, the real problem is that the VA bungled the program.

“The program is confusing and complicated,” the NPR story explains. “Vets don’t understand it, doctors don’t understand it, and even VA administrators admit that can’t always figure it out.”

Now Congress is trying to fix the reform that was supposed to fix the delay problem.

But this solution isn’t likely to work any better than any of the many previous attempts to improve the quality and timeliness of care at the VHA, for the simple reason that it is an entirely government-run health program. And like any government-run operation, it’s invariably going to be wasteful, inefficient and prone to corruption.

If lawmakers really want to fix the delay problem, and want to stop treating treating vets like second-class citizens, they will have to abandon this island of socialized medicine inside the U.S.

| - - - -

http://www.disabledveterans.org/2016/02/09/va-choice-program-a-failed-joke-says-senator/
VA Choice Program A Failed Joke Says Senator
February 9, 2016 by Benjamin Krause —90 Comments

OIG INVESTIGATES VA CHOICE PROGRAM PROBLEMS

Sen. Kirk’s remarks were in response to an OIG report indicating Colorado Springs VA failed to add 56 veterans to the Veterans Choice List (VCL). Addition to the list would allow those veterans to access non-VA health care. Just getting added to the list is taking months, which ameliorates the benefit of speedy access to health care the program was intended to confer.

VA CHOICE PROGRAM UNDERCUT

The agency has grossly hindered any attempts to increase accessibility to non-VA care the program was intended to provide. Many veterans believe VA insiders are attempting to undercut the VA Choice Program to redirect funds while ensuring veterans are stuck in the system.
Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole ; He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee. - Job 5

Offline larsonstdoc

I HAVE BONE SPURS IN MY TIBIA, FIBIA AND RIGHT ANKLE.

I WENT TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM ON VETERANS DAY---11-11-2015.

THE NON VA DOCTOR TOLD ME WE WILL DO SURGERY ONCE THE VA APPROVES THE SURGERY.

HERE WE ARE 6 MONTHS LATER AND THE VA HAS STILL NOT APPROVED THE SURGERY.

MY ANKLE STILL HURTS LIKE HELL BUT I REFUSE TO TAKE THE OXYCONTIN.

Sorry if I offend the people that work at Veterans Choice, but every one of them has been a minority that I have talked to on the phone----WHICH I BELIEVE IS ONE OF THE PROBLEMS.  We keep sending paper work in by FAX and they keep saying they didn't get the papers.

IMO, Obaaaaaama has forced the higher ups at VC to hire these people and the efficiency HAS GONE WAAAAAAY DOWN.

End of rant.

ALL VETERANS-----VOTE FOR DONALD J TRUMP.

Offline larsonstdoc

MAYBE THE NEXT TIME I CALL VETERANS CHOICE I'LL TELL THEM I'M AN ILLEGAL SO THEY'LL TREAT ME RIGHT.