ICELAND of the FREE

Author Topic: ICELAND of the FREE  (Read 54248 times)

Offline Brocke

• Eleutherophiliac & Drapetomaniac
  • Global Moderator
  • I am not a number, I am a free man!
    • Vimeo page
ICELAND of the FREE
« on: March 10, 2010, 06:19:48 AM »

All Republic of Iceland and their stand for independence and sovereignty news here.

Iceland News: http://www.icenews.is/

General Information on Iceland

Official Name: Republic of Iceland
Capital: Reykjavik
Government Type: Constitutional republic
Population: 301,931
Area: 39,600 square miles; about the size of Virginia or slightly larger than Ireland
Languages: Icelandic, English, Nordic languages, German widely spoken
Year of Independence: 1918
Web site: Government.is

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. - ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
Re: ICELAND of the FREE
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:20:33 AM »
Voters in Iceland Reject Repayment Plan

By SARAH LYALL
Published: March 6, 2010

LONDON — Iceland’s voters expressed their outrage on Saturday against bankers, the government and what they saw as foreign bullying, overwhelmingly rejecting a plan to pay $5.3 billion to Britain and the Netherlands to reimburse customers of a failed Icelandic bank.

With all but 2,500 of the 143,784 votes counted, the authorities said, 93 percent voted "no" and 1.8 percent voted "yes" in the first public referendum ever held on any subject in Iceland. The remaining ballots were declared invalid.

But the referendum was more symbolic than substantive, and the Icelandic government hastened to make clear that Iceland would still pay back the money, albeit on different terms from the ones rejected.

“We want to be perfectly clear that a ‘no’ vote does not mean we are refusing to pay,” Finance Minister Steingrimur Sigfusson said. “We will honor our obligations. To maintain anything else is highly dangerous for the economy of this country.”

The vote shows the depth of Icelanders’ rage. They are angry at the British and Dutch, who they say are mistreating them; angry at the regulators and government officials who failed to properly oversee the Icelandic financial system; and angry at the bankers whose recklessness helped the economy grow at a headspinning rate and then caused it to self-destruct in days.

“Ordinary people, farmers and fishermen, taxpayers, doctors, nurses, teachers, are being asked to shoulder through their taxes a burden that was created by irresponsible greedy bankers,” President Olafur Ragnar Grimsson said on Bloomberg Television.

How to repay the debt, which represents more than 40 percent of Iceland’s gross domestic product, has consumed this small, isolated nation for the last year and a half, since its banks failed, its stock market crashed and its currency collapsed.

The money represents a portion of the losses incurred by more than 300,000 Dutch and British customers of Icesave, an Internet branch of the Icelandic bank Landsbanki. The bank went bankrupt in October 2008, along with 85 percent of Iceland’s banking sector. The Netherlands and the British reimbursed their citizens, and are now pushing to get the money back from Iceland.

The three countries have been fighting over the deal’s terms ever since. An agreement this fall that would have given Iceland 15 years to pay the money, at 5.5 percent interest, only narrowly passed the country’s Parliament.

But on Jan. 5, Mr. Grimsson unexpectedly refused to sign the bill into law, setting off the need for a nationwide referendum.

But the vote has been overtaken by events, the government said: the deal at issue in the referendum is no longer the deal that is currently on the table in international negotiations.

Each day of delay increases Iceland’s financial burden. The second installment of a much-needed loan from the International Monetary Fund and a coalition of Nordic countries has been put off pending resolution of the dispute.

Britain has warned Iceland that it risks being an international pariah if it does not pay the money back and has threatened to stall the country’s efforts to join the European Union.

The Icesave matter has put increasing pressure on the year-old Icelandic government, a fragile coalition led by Johanna Sigurdardottir of the Social Democratic Party. On the one hand, it needs to show that it acknowledges the public’s deep bitterness; on the other, it needs to negotiate a deal quickly in order to move economic recovery along.

“We need to keep going,” Ms. Sigurdardottir said in a television interview. “We have to get an agreement.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/world/europe/07iceland.html

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:15:21 AM »
Iceland banking crisis news and more

Iceland - a little island in the north atlantic. A little banking problem and more about Iceland

http://iceland-dori.blogspot.com/

Matthew Lynn says that Iceland should not pay ! video
According to Bloombergs columnist Matthew Lynn ,Iceland should not pay Icesave.
You can see it here on the video , in an interview,before the Icelandic referendum on march 6th.

Know the right people in Iceland ,and you will not have to pay !

Political crisis in Iceland ?
Many belive that there is a political crisis in Iceland now,after the national referendum.

Icelands No,could it spread around Europe ?
Iceland said " NO" on saturday ,against the Icesave agrrement , between Iceland, THe Dutch and Britain.

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:06:26 PM »

Iceland braces for consequences of Icesave vote

The Associated Press

Thursday, March 11, 2010 | 12:02 a.m.

A proposal to use taxpayer funds to pay off Iceland's substantial debts to foreign governments seemed likely to be defeated in a national referendum Saturday.

Opinion polls indicated that a strong majority intend to reject the $5.3 billion plan to compensate the governments of Britain and the Netherlands for money those governments paid out to depositors in their countries who lost savings in a failed Icelandic bank.

"I voted no," said Rognvaldur Hoskuldsson, a 36-year-old machine technologist, after casting his vote Saturday morning. "It makes no sense to say yes when the UK and Dutch have put a better deal on the table in talks this week. Also we have to send a message that these countries are not going to profit from this situation."

Many Icelanders who have been badly hurt by the country's financial collapse say they don't want to be bullied by larger nations seeking to profit from Iceland's severe economic problems.

A rejection of the deal because of the public backlash would create another obstacle on Iceland's difficult road out of a deep recession. A "no" vote could further jeopardize its credit rating and make it harder to access much-needed bailout money from the International Monetary Fund.

It could also harm Iceland's chances of being granted entry to the European Union.

Some voters seemed undecided even after the polls opened. Kristofer Hannesson, 27, said he was not yet sure but was leaning toward voting against the plan.

"I feel that I should go and vote no to send the message to the British and the Dutch that we, the innocent Icelandic public, are not going to let them walk all over us," he said.

Iceland has been desperately seeking a revised deal with its European creditors since President Olafur R. Grimsson tapped into public anger and used a rarely invoked power to refuse to sign the so-called Icesave bill into law in January, triggering the national poll.

At the heart of the dispute is the payment of $3.5 billion to Britain and $1.8 billion to the Netherlands as compensation for funds that those governments paid out to around 340,000 nationals with savings in the collapsed Icesave internet bank.

Britain and the Netherlands offered better terms last week _ including a floating interest rate on the debt plus 2.75 percent, representing a significant cut on the 5.5 percent under the original deal hammered out at the end of last year.

The British say their "best and final offer has been turned down."

But Iceland continues to hold out for more, aware that any new deal must win substantial political and public support to avoid another veto by the president.

Locals largely view the deal both as intimidation by bigger nations and an unfair result of their own government's failure to curtail the excessive spending of a handful of bank executives that led the country into its current malaise.

Because of Iceland's tiny population, around 320,000, the original deal would have required each person to pay around $135 a month for eight years _ the equivalent of a quarter of an average four-member family's salary.

That's a step too far for many ordinary Icelanders who resent forking out the money to compensate for losses incurred by potentially wealthier foreign investors who chased the high interest rates offered by Icesave.

There's also residual anger that Britain invoked anti-terrorist legislation to freeze the assets of Icelandic banks at the height of the crisis, prompting the worst diplomatic spat between the two countries since Cod Wars of the 1970s over fishing rights in the North Atlantic.

"I am going to say no on Saturday because it's not fair and justifiable that the Icelandic nation should pay for other people's mistakes," said Benedikt Mewes, 33, a cashier at the National Post Office in Reykjavik.

Officials within Iceland's Social Democrat-Left Green coalition government, whose authority is being challenged by the weekend poll, acknowledge the repercussions of a failure to settle the dispute.

Although the International Monetary Fund has never explicitly linked delivery of a $4.6 billion loan to the reaching of an Icesave deal, it is committed to Iceland repaying its international debt _ the months taken to reach the original Icesave deal were responsible for holding up the first tranche of IMF funds last year.

There are also fears that Britain and the Netherlands will take a hard-line stance on Iceland's application to join the EU and refuse to approve the start of accession talks until an Icesave deal is signed into law.

___

Associated Press Writers Helga Armadottir contributed to this story.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/mar/11/iceland-braces-for-consequences-of-icesave-vote/

~Aldous Huxley

Offline jofortruth

• The Great Deception
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 10:51:41 PM »
Don't believe me. Look it up yourself!

The Great Deception - Forum/Library - My Research
http://z4.invisionfree.com/The_Great_Deception/index.php?showforum=110

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 06:29:16 PM »

Private Army Sets Sights on Iceland

Words by Paul Nikolov

A private company offering military support has expressed interest in working with the Icelandic government. Many Icelanders are strongly opposed to the idea.

The company in question is known as ECA Program. They are a private company that works in military training and support for governments around the world, and have most recently worked with India. Their interest in Iceland is apparently strong enough to warrant the use of images from Keflavík - where the NATO base used to be located until it closed in 2006 - on their website. They have already asked the Icelandic government if they can utilize the base for their private air force, and are willing to pay 200 billion ISK to do so.

However, the Campaign Against Militarism - in Icelandic group originally founded in opposition to the NATO base - is strongly against the idea. They point out that the comany's background is shrouded in mystery, and that they amount to a mercenary group. Furthermore, the company was denied operation permission in Canada.

Iceland, although a NATO country, does not have a military of its own. In fact, the vast majority of Icelanders polled have expressed opposition to supporting military efforts in Iraq,

http://www.grapevine.is/News/ReadArticle/Private-Army-Sets-Sights-on-Iceland

Private Military Company Given Green Light

Words by Paul Nikolov

ECA Program - a private company specializing in military consultancy with governments around the world - has apparently already been given the green light by the government to use the old base in Keflavík.

ECA Program has already begun a PR campaign of sorts, having told the news aggregate website Eyjan that their permit to operate in Canada was denied for strictly political reasons. According to the source, the residents of Goose Bay, Newfoundland were actually positive towards the company, but the authorities in the region rejected the permit.

Social Democrat Björgvin G. Sigurðsson has told reporters that the company has already received the go-ahead from the Icelandic government to use the old NATO base in Keflavík. Óskar Þórmundsson, former police chief of Keflavík airport and NATO employee, has been slated to assist ECA in Iceland. He told reporters that his past connections and current assignment are a complete coincidence.

In a more bizarre twist, the Leftist-Greens of the Suðurnes region, where Keflavík is located, have expressed their support for ECA's arrival. While the Lefist-Greens have a strong anti-militarist platform, having fought for years to get Iceland out of NATO, the party's branch in the region say their support is due first and foremost to job creation, as no other possibilities seem available in the near future.

ECA is willing to pay 200 billion ISK for the use of the base, but much is unknown about the source of the company's finances, and their activities remain obscure - few sources apart from the ECA's own website even mention the work the company has done.

http://www.grapevine.is/News/ReadArticle/Private-Military-Company-Given-Green-Light

~Aldous Huxley

Offline nustada

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 06:39:42 PM »

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 06:42:48 PM »

It may be one of the last bastions of freedom...for now  :'(

~Aldous Huxley

EvadingGrid

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 06:44:44 PM »
I think you will find that we simply invaded iceland and built a base.

Offline ekimdrachir

• METATRON ON
    • Go Outside
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 06:46:50 PM »
...Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb iceland...

just kidding

EvadingGrid

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 06:49:12 PM »
ECA military consultancy - Website
http://ecaconsult.com/home

See Also
Save The People of ICELAND
http://www.savethepeopleoficeland.com/

Alt Thread on Propaganda Matrix :
http://propagandamatrix.com/forum/index.php/topic,6402.0.html

Offline Femacamper

• PUTIN HACKED MY MIND!
    • TRUNEWS
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 08:48:35 PM »
dammit, I'm moving to Iceland.

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »

Hundreds back home after volcanic eruption in Iceland

* From correspondents in Hvolsvoellur, Iceland
    * March 22, 2010 6:34AM

Locals flee as Iceland volcano erupts

VIDEO: Locals flee as Iceland volcano erupts
http://player.video.news.com.au/news/?AfBAQYo0n1btHo_rG2r_oJ1liGIkQnEr

Iceland's first volcanic eruption in six years has forced over 600 people to flee their homes.

ALMOST all of the 600 people evacuated following a volcanic eruption in southern Iceland have been allowed home and flights have resumed to the country.

The volcano erupted near the Eyjafallajoekull glacier, part of a remotely populated area about 125km east of the capital, Reykjavik.

"We are allowing almost all of the 600 inhabitants to return to their homes, with the exception of the residents of 14 farms who are not allowed to return home," said local police chief Kjartan Thorkelsson.

"All roads have now been opened, but we encourage people not to drive unless it is necessary," he said.

"There is still an official situation of danger because of the volcanic eruption."

Hjordis Gudmundsdottir, of the Icelandic airport authority, said all domestic flights had resumed.

International flights suffered serious delays.

"There are no problems getting to Iceland and domestic flights have now resumed, but of course there are delays," Ms Gudmundsdottir said.

She said air traffic was still barred from one area, "but it's not a big area, and it's ok to fly (in the area) if it's above 5000 feet (1524 metres)."

"The problem with (volcanic) ashes wasn't as bad as we thought it could be," she said.

No casualties have been reported from what was the first volcanic eruption in Iceland since 2004, and the first in the vicinity of the Eyjafjallajoekull glacier since 1823.
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/hundreds-back-home-after-volcanic-eruption-in-iceland/story-e6frfku0-1225843540934

~Aldous Huxley

Offline wfy9621

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 06:22:19 PM »
I am gonna have to get a Facebook page...

I wish the US had the guts...
I am an American citizen, not an "American consumer".

Offline frenchlifeboat

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 06:57:30 PM »

remember this ?   

The Cod Wars

The First Cod War

The first "war" occurred in 1958, when Britain was unable to prevent Iceland, from extending it's fishing limits, from 4 miles, to 12 miles, off Iceland's coast.

The Second Cod War

The second dispute was in 1972-1973, when Iceland extended its limits to 50 miles. This conflict was concluded with an agreement between the two countries that limited British fishing, to certain areas, would be allowed inside the 50-mile limit. In addition, Britain agreed that British vessels could not catch more than 130,000 tons of fish annually. This agreement was valid for two years and expired on November 13 1975, when the third "Cod War" started

The Third Cod War

Between November 1975, and June 1976, the cod, a common species of fish, brought two NATO allies to the brink of war. Great Britain and Iceland confronted each other over Iceland proclaiming its authority over the ocean, up to 200 miles from its coastline. The issue was the amount of cod caught by the two countries' fishermen.

During this conflict, British trawlers had their nets cut by Icelandic Coast Guard vessels and there were numerous rammings between Icelandic ships and British trawlers and frigates. The conflict caused Iceland to threaten to close the NATO base at Keflavik, which would have imperilled the NATO ability to defend the Atlantic from Soviet incursions. The picture left shows St. Gerontius ramming the Icelandic Coast Guard Vessel Odin. Note warp cutting gear towed from stern.

The conflict lasted for seven months. Britain did not recognize Iceland's authority to extend its control to a 200-mile limit and continued fishing in the disputed zone. Iceland employed six Coast Guard ships and two Polish-built stern trawlers, converted for Coast Guard work, to enforce her control over fishing rights. In response, Great Britain deployed 22 frigates, although only six to nine were deployed at any one time, seven supply ships, nine tug boats, and three support ships, (Miranda, Othello, and Hausa), to protect it's fishing trawlers. Miranda's story can be read here: The Miranda Website  The Picture right shows hull trawler 'Lord Jellicoe' rammed by Icelandic Coast Guard Vessel Aegir

Few shots were fired, but several ships were rammed during the conflict and some damage was inflicted, with a few injuries sustained. British frigates' bows were reinforced with wood planking. Declining fish-stocks precipitated Iceland's action, and as fishing was the main industry in Iceland, that was a major threat. Both sides agreed the stocks were declining but could not agree on the cause or a method of stabilizing the fish population. The picture left shows Icelandic Coast Guard Vessel Aegir after a clash with Lord Jellicoe.

The 200-mile economic exclusion zone was supported by various coastal states, including Great Britain, at UN conferences on the Law of the Sea, although it was not law yet. Iceland stated that it was merely enforcing what would soon be, an international law and that it was following precedents set by other nations. Great Britain stated that although the international system was arriving at an agreed 200-mile limit, Iceland had no right to unilaterally enforce the limit.

After a particularly violent collision incident, the UN Security Council was consulted, but took no action. The Nordic Council issued a statement of support for Iceland. NATO, and the USA, became involved, due to the threatened closure of the NATO base at Keflavik. The US offered to mediate, but it was NATO intercession that helped to end the conflict.

With mediation by the Secretary-General of NATO, Dr. Joseph Luns, Iceland and Great Britain were able to come to an agreement on June 2 1976. This agreement limited the British to 24 trawlers, from a list of 93, allowed inside the 200-mile limit at any one time. The amount of cod that Great Britain could legally catch was limited to 50,000 tons annually. There were four conservation areas that were completely closed to all British fishing. In addition, Icelandic patrol vessels were allowed to halt, and inspect, British trawlers suspected of violating the agreement. The duration of the agreement was 6 months, after which Great Britain had no right to fish inside the 200-mile zone. Right, ICGV Odin being shadowed by HMS Galatea

The British fishing industry, based on Icelandic fish, produced about 23.1 million pounds worth of catch. The agreement with Iceland caused about 1,500 fishermen to become unemployed, plus about 7,500 people on shore, also became unemployed.

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/RRGP/CodWar.htm

EvadingGrid

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 07:03:25 PM »
remember this ?   

The Cod Wars

Seems like yesterday.
 :)

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 04:41:25 AM »

Iceland Finance Minister to discuss delayed aid with IMF

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:54pm GMT

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Iceland's finance minister will hold talks with IMF officials this week about revising the country's aid programme, which has been delayed by the row over "Icesave" debts, an Icelandic official said on Thursday.

The International Monetary Fund agreed loans totalling more than $2 billion (1.3 billion pounds) to Iceland after the North Atlantic island nation's main banks went under in 2008, leading to a collapse in the currency and a deep recession.

Initial payments under the IMF scheme were made, but a row over the terms under which Iceland is to repay about $5 billion to Britain and the Netherlands for compensating overseas savers who lost money in Icelandic accounts has delayed further aid.

Icelandic Finance Ministry official Indridi Thorlaksson said Finance Minister Steingrimur Sigfusson would spend Thursday and Friday in meetings with officials at the international lender.

"He is meeting people at the IMF," he said.

"It is in connection with the stand-by arrangement and the revision of it."

The second review of Iceland's IMF programme had initially been set for late January, but was postponed after efforts to strike a deal over the so-called "Icesave" debts to Britain and Netherlands hit a snag.

Iceland is furious that the Icesave row is delaying aid and with no new talks yet planned to settle the long-standing dispute it hopes it can persuade the IMF and other lenders to let funds flow again even if a deal is not in hand.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE62O2CT20100325

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 04:46:55 AM »

Iceland Faces Only ‘Slim’ Risk of Default, Gudmundsson Says

By Omar R. Valdimarsson

March 26 (Bloomberg) -- Iceland faces only a “slim” risk of defaulting on its loans next year and in 2012 because the central bank is ready to bolster its reserves through foreign currency purchases, bank Governor Mar Gudmundsson said.

If the island is unable to access international markets soon, the central bank will buy currency to finance foreign debt payments, Gudmundsson said in a speech at the bank’s annual meeting in Reykjavik yesterday. Iceland has a 1 billion-euro ($1.3 billion) bond due in December 2011.

A “strong emphasis would be placed on preventing the nation’s foreign exchange reserves from becoming dangerously depleted following payments on Treasury loans in the winter of 2011-2012,” said Gudmundsson.

Iceland got a $4.6 billion International Monetary Fund-led bailout in October 2008, following the failure of the island’s three major banks, Kaupthing Bank hf, Landsbanki Islands hf and Glitnir Bank hf. Loan disbursements have been delayed as the government of Prime Minister Johanna Sigurdardottir has failed to reach an agreement with the U.K. and the Netherlands on foreign depositors’ guarantees.

To ease repayments, the central bank has in recent months bought Treasury bonds maturing in the winter of 2011-2012 in the secondary markets, Gudmundsson said.

“The purchase has a nominal value of 116 million euros and was executed on favorable terms,” he said. “Because of this transaction, the reserves can now cover the loan payments” due in December 2011. “Furthermore, it will end up reducing the Treasury’s foreign debt at lower expense than would have been achieved otherwise.”

The economy contracted a record 9.1 percent in the fourth quarter and shrank 6.5 percent last year. The central bank estimates economic output will decline a further 3.4 percent this year, before growing 2.6 percent in 2011.

The central bank cut the benchmark interest rate a half- point to 9 percent on March 17. Policy makers said then they expect inflation to average 5.6 percent in 2010 and reach the bank’s 2.5 percent target at the beginning of 2012.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a7V6Vu97kBMs

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 03:11:39 PM »

Iceland's GFC poor line up for food

* From correspondents in Reykjavik
    * April 11, 2010 2:37PM

"I DON'T tell my children where I get the food, I'm too ashamed," said Iris Aegisdottir, an Icelander who has been going to a food bank every week for a year to feed her three children.

The crisis that brought down Iceland's economy in late 2008 threw thousands of formerly well-off families into poverty, forcing people like Iris to turn to charity to survive.

Each week, up to 550 families queue up at a small white brick warehouse in Reykjavik to receive free food from the Icelandic Aid to Families organisation, three times more than before the crisis.

Rutur Jonsson, a 65-year-old retired mechanical engineer, and his fellow volunteers spend their days distributing milk, bread, eggs and canned food donated by businesses and individuals or bought in bulk at the supermarket.

"I have time to spend on others and that's the best thing I think I can do," he said as he pre-packed grocery bags full of produce.

In a small, close-knit country of just 317,000 people, the stigma of accepting a hand-out is hard to live down and out of the dozens of people waiting outside the food bank in the snow on a dreary March afternoon, Iris is the only one willing to talk.

"It was very difficult for me to come here in the beginning. But now I try not to care so much anymore," said the weary-looking 41-year-old, who lost her job in a pharmacy last northern summer, as she wrung her hands nervously.

The contrast is brutal with the ostentatious wealth that was on display across the island just two years ago, as a hyperactive banking sector flooded the small, formerly fishing-based economy with fast cash.

Back then, the biggest worry for many Icelanders was who had the nicest SUV, or the most luxurious flat.

But today visible signs of poverty are quickly multiplying in the Nordic island nation, despite its generous welfare state, as the middle class is increasingly hit by a sky-rocketing unemployment, up from 1.0 to 9.0 per cent in about a year, and soaring defaults on mortgages.

Icelanders who lose their job are initially entitled to benefits worth 70 per cent of their wages but the amount dwindles fast the longer they are without work. Coupled with spiralling debt, the spike in long-term unemployment is taking a heavy toll.

"The 550 families we welcome here represent about 2700 people, and the number keeps going up. And we think it will keep growing until next year, at least," said Asgerdur Jona Flosadottir, who manages the Reykjavik food bank.

For Iris, the fall came quickly.

She is struggling to keep up with payments on two car loans, which she took out in foreign currencies on what proved to be disastrous advice from her bank, and which have tripled since the kronur's collapse.

Threatened in November with eviction from her home in the village of Vogar, about 40km southwest of Reykjavik, she managed to negotiate a year's respite with her bank.

"I feel very bad and I am very worried," she said, running her fingers through her long, brown hair.

"I've thought about going abroad, but decided to stay because friends have come forward to guarantee my loans," she added sadly, before leaving with a friend who was driving her back home.

To avoid resorting to charity, many other Icelanders are choosing to pack their bags and try for a new future abroad, with official statistics showing the country's biggest emigration wave in more than a century is under way.

"I just don't see any future here. There isn't going to be any future in this country for the next 20 years," laments Anna Margret Bjoernsdottir, a 46-year-old single mother who is preparing to move to Norway in June if she is unable to ward off eviction from her home near Reykjavik.

For those left behind, a growing number are having trouble scraping together enough money to put decent food on their children's plates.

While only a minority have been forced to seek out food banks to feed their families, some parents admit to going hungry to feed their children.

"I must admit that with the hike in food prices, my two sons eat most of what my husband and I bring home," Arna Borgthorsdottir Cors confessed in a Reykjavik cafe.

"We get what is left over," she says.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/icelands-gfc-poor-line-up-for-food/story-e6frfku0-1225852390009

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 03:21:55 AM »
Ash from Iceland's volcano disrupts UK air traffic

Apr 15 03:13 AM US/Eastern

LONDON (AP) - Officials say ash clouds drifting from Iceland's erupting volcano have disrupted air traffic across Britain.

Flights have been suspended at the English cities of Manchester and Birmingham, as well as in Belfast in Northern Ireland and the Scottish airports at Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh.

The ash has also disrupted operations at London Heathrow, Europe's busiest airport, where at least 150 flights were canceled. Another 138 flights have been canceled at Britain's second-busiest terminal of London Gatwick.

U.K. airport operator BAA says "major disruption" in air traffic is expected, while the National Air Traffic Service explains "volcanic ash represents a significant safety threat to aircraft."

The volcano erupted Wednesday.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9F3BP880&show_article=1

~Aldous Huxley

Offline donnay

• Live Free Or Die Trying!
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 07:38:29 AM »
Iceland's volcanic ash halts flights across Europe

By ROBERT BARR, Associated Press Writer Robert Barr, Associated Press Writer   – 5 mins ago

LONDON – Ash clouds from Iceland's spewing volcano disrupted air traffic across Northern Europe on Thursday as authorities closed British and Nordic air space, shut down Europe's busiest airport at Heathrow and canceled hundreds of flights.

Britain's Civil Aviation Authority said non-emergency flights would be banned until at least 6 p.m. (1700 GMT, 1 p.m. EDT). Irish authorities also closed their air space for eight hours.

London Heathrow, Europe's business airport, handles upwards of 1,200 flights and 180,000 passengers per day. The closure also affected London's second- and third-largest airports, Gatwick and Stansted. It was not immediately clear when flights would resume.

With the major trans-Atlantic hub at Heathrow closed, dozens of flights to the United States were on hold, and cancelations spread across the continent to major hubs at Brussels, Amsterdam, Geneva and Paris, where flights heading north were canceled until midnight.

In Iceland, hundreds of people have fled rising floodwaters since the volcano under the Eyjafjallajokull (ay-yah-FYAH'-plah-yer-kuh-duhl) glacier erupted Wednesday for the second time in less than a month. As water gushed down the mountainside, rivers rose up to 10 feet (3 meters) by Wednesday night.

The ash cloud has not disrupted operations at Iceland's Keflavik airport or caused problems in the capital of Reykjavik, but has affected the southeastern part of the island, said meteorologist Thorsteinn Jonsson. In one area, visibility was reduced to 150 yards (meters) this morning, he said, and farmers were advised to keep livestock indoors to protect them from eating ash particles as sharp as glass.

The volcano was sending up smoke and ash that posed "a significant safety threat to aircraft," Britain's National Air Traffic Service said, as visibility is compromised and debris can get sucked into airplane engines.

Emirates airline canceled 10 roundtrip flights between Dubai and Britain on Thursday because of the ash cloud.

"I think I might cry," said Ann Cochrane, 58, of Toronto, one of the passengers stranded in Glasgow. "I just wish I was on a beach in Mexico."

In northern Sweden all air traffic was suspended, affecting the cities of Skelleftea, Lulea, Kiruna and Hemavan, the national aviation authority said.

Air traffic in northern Finland was also halted.

Norway's King Harald V and Queen Sonja — who had planned to fly Thursday to Copenhagen for the Danish queen's 70th birthday — were looking to take a "car, boat or train." A canceled trans-Atlantic flight left Norway's Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg grounded in New York.

The U.S. Geological Survey said about 100 encounters of aircraft with volcanic ash were documented from 1983 to 2000; in some cases engines shut down briefly after sucking in volcanic debris, but there have been no fatal incidents.

In 1989, a KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Boeing 747 flew into an ash cloud from Alaska's Redoubt volcano and lost all power, dropping from 25,000 feet to 12,000 feet (7,500 meters to 3,600) before the crew could get the engines restarted. The plane landed safely.

In another incident in the 1980s, a British Airways 747 flew into a dust cloud and the grit sandblasted the windscreen. The pilot had to look out a side window to land safely.

Volcanic ash is formed from explosive eruptions. Particles as hard as a knife blade range in size from as small as 0.001 millimeters (1/25,000 inch) to 2 millimeters (1/12 inch), the Geological Survey says.

Ash can melt in the heat of an aircraft engine and then solidify again, disrupting the mechanics, the agency says.

___

AP reporters Ian MacDougall in Oslo, Shawn Pogatchnik in Dublin, Jan Olsen in Copenhagen, Gretchen Mahan in Brussels, Mike Corder in Amsterdam, Adam Schreck in Dubai, Frank Jordans in Geneva and Matti Huuhtanen in Helsinki contributed to this report.
"Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace." ~ Rod Serling
"Cops today are nothing but an armed tax collector" ~ Frank Serpico
"To be normal, to drink Coca-Cola and eat Kentucky Fried Chicken is to be in a conspiracy against yourself."
"People that don't want to make waves sit in stagnant waters."

Offline wfy9621

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 09:39:05 PM »
If the volcano had been HAARPed, wouldn't the glacier around it be melted more?

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 10:11:47 PM »
Iceland's volcanic ash halts flights across Europe

By ROBERT BARR, Associated Press Writer Robert Barr, Associated Press Writer   – 5 mins ago

LONDON – Ash clouds from Iceland's spewing volcano disrupted air traffic across Northern Europe on Thursday as authorities closed British and Nordic air space, shut down Europe's busiest airport at Heathrow and canceled hundreds of flights.

Britain's Civil Aviation Authority said non-emergency flights would be banned until at least 6 p.m. (1700 GMT, 1 p.m. EDT). Irish authorities also closed their air space for eight hours.

London Heathrow, Europe's business airport, handles upwards of 1,200 flights and 180,000 passengers per day. The closure also affected London's second- and third-largest airports, Gatwick and Stansted. It was not immediately clear when flights would resume.

With the major trans-Atlantic hub at Heathrow closed, dozens of flights to the United States were on hold, and cancelations spread across the continent to major hubs at Brussels, Amsterdam, Geneva and Paris, where flights heading north were canceled until midnight.

In Iceland, hundreds of people have fled rising floodwaters since the volcano under the Eyjafjallajokull (ay-yah-FYAH'-plah-yer-kuh-duhl) glacier erupted Wednesday for the second time in less than a month. As water gushed down the mountainside, rivers rose up to 10 feet (3 meters) by Wednesday night.

The ash cloud has not disrupted operations at Iceland's Keflavik airport or caused problems in the capital of Reykjavik, but has affected the southeastern part of the island, said meteorologist Thorsteinn Jonsson. In one area, visibility was reduced to 150 yards (meters) this morning, he said, and farmers were advised to keep livestock indoors to protect them from eating ash particles as sharp as glass.

The volcano was sending up smoke and ash that posed "a significant safety threat to aircraft," Britain's National Air Traffic Service said, as visibility is compromised and debris can get sucked into airplane engines.

Emirates airline canceled 10 roundtrip flights between Dubai and Britain on Thursday because of the ash cloud.

"I think I might cry," said Ann Cochrane, 58, of Toronto, one of the passengers stranded in Glasgow. "I just wish I was on a beach in Mexico."

In northern Sweden all air traffic was suspended, affecting the cities of Skelleftea, Lulea, Kiruna and Hemavan, the national aviation authority said.

Air traffic in northern Finland was also halted.

Norway's King Harald V and Queen Sonja — who had planned to fly Thursday to Copenhagen for the Danish queen's 70th birthday — were looking to take a "car, boat or train." A canceled trans-Atlantic flight left Norway's Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg grounded in New York.

The U.S. Geological Survey said about 100 encounters of aircraft with volcanic ash were documented from 1983 to 2000; in some cases engines shut down briefly after sucking in volcanic debris, but there have been no fatal incidents.

In 1989, a KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Boeing 747 flew into an ash cloud from Alaska's Redoubt volcano and lost all power, dropping from 25,000 feet to 12,000 feet (7,500 meters to 3,600) before the crew could get the engines restarted. The plane landed safely.

In another incident in the 1980s, a British Airways 747 flew into a dust cloud and the grit sandblasted the windscreen. The pilot had to look out a side window to land safely.

Volcanic ash is formed from explosive eruptions. Particles as hard as a knife blade range in size from as small as 0.001 millimeters (1/25,000 inch) to 2 millimeters (1/12 inch), the Geological Survey says.

Ash can melt in the heat of an aircraft engine and then solidify again, disrupting the mechanics, the agency says.

___

AP reporters Ian MacDougall in Oslo, Shawn Pogatchnik in Dublin, Jan Olsen in Copenhagen, Gretchen Mahan in Brussels, Mike Corder in Amsterdam, Adam Schreck in Dubai, Frank Jordans in Geneva and Matti Huuhtanen in Helsinki contributed to this report.

Watch the EU penalize Iceland for CO2 pollution!!!

~Aldous Huxley

Offline squarepusher

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 10:22:31 PM »
I will just come right out and say it - this thing was a 'Britain/Anglo-Dutch' job.

You can tell me plenty of 'coincidence theories', but this is one I'm unwilling to swallow:

* Iceland votes 'No' in a referendum to pay Dutch/English bankers their entire GDP's worth of money plus expenses
* Dutch finance minister 'Kees De Jager' threatens Iceland after that: "Iceland will have no choice but to pay us'. He said this a day or so after the decisive No vote.
* Lots of other politicians are griping about Iceland and whatnot.
* Greenpeace hijacks shipments from Iceland going into Japan at the Rotterdam harbor - all under the cover of 'saving the whales' bullshit - this is economic terrorism performed by an extremist NGO that has been known for its radical doctrines, as in "We know where you live, climate change deniers".
* Iceland PMs travel to Washington PLEADING, PLEADING WITH THEM to ask the Netherlands and England to start being more reasonable about the payments and allow IMF loans to trickle back into the country; since IMF cut off their loans.
* All of a sudden, this 'volcano' happens.

Bullshit. That's what I have to say about all of this.

And you know what? Most of the Dutch population either:

a - Want that money from Iceland - THEY WANT IT FOR THEMSELVES - they hope that by stealing that money, the government won't drastically raise taxes or give them a hard time, or
b - They just don't give a shit.

That's the real truth. The vast majority really don't care if the entirety of Iceland have to live in poverty and just die off because their leaders had to sell off everything they had to the Dutch, BUT HEY: THE DUTCH DO CARE ABOUT POOR HAITIANS, OH YES THEY DO!!!! WHY, THEY DONATED LARGE SUMS OF MONEY!!!

Once again: Bullshit. I see lots of two-faced demons in this country who believe the own horsecrap they're shovelling, and it makes me angry. All I see is a country that likes to hide the fact that their Dutch Royal Shell is really the Dutch/British East India Company 2.0. They're an evil empire that get far too little exposure - they sure are masters in propaganda, because many people (even those in America) really do believe it's a really nice place here, with a really friendly Queen. Euthanasia for the elderly and the young is 'good' (well it's not, but here they believe it is), 'biking' instead of driving a car to go to work is 'good' (and Obama will be introducing that shortly to America - extreme austerity right there, but hey, the Dutch love that crap since they were put off from using the automobile back in the fraudulent '70s oil scarcity crisis), no, 'drugs' is by no means 'legal' here - it's just been more 'institutionalized' and 'commercialized', but the police still have drug laws and are still running quotas on drug offenders, so no, you can't grow an army's worth of weed in your backyard - hate to break it to all the liberal sympathizers in America out there, but you've got a pretty distorted picture of the right to smoke marijuana here. You're entitled to one or two minuscule 'hemp plants', and that's it.
Infowars Wiki - Help make this become the official wiki of Infowars.com - contribute!

Offline wfy9621

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 11:46:49 PM »
Watch a few more plane accidents (wth heads of states aboard) occur because the ash over Europe is causing such poor visibility. Like a big fog cloud, it is.

Offline attietewd

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 11:58:15 PM »
Watch a few more plane accidents (wth heads of states aboard) occur because the ash over Europe is causing such poor visibility. Like a big fog cloud, it is.

wow I was thinking the same thing... :o
“Thus, condemnation will never come to those who are in Christ Jesus…”

Offline nustada

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 12:13:48 AM »
If the volcano had been HAARPed, wouldn't the glacier around it be melted more?

Haarp stole beer from my fridge. But defrauded my freezer, so I didn't mind.

Offline wfy9621

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 09:22:57 PM »
What is it, a bankster?

You mean, "defrosted"?

Offline nustada

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 09:24:35 PM »
What is it, a bankster?

You mean, "defrosted"?

Its haarp, its worthy of all blame, including spellchecker blunders. It was haarp try to confuse you.

Offline wfy9621

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2010, 10:03:16 AM »
Whoa! That HAARP is deeply evil!  :D

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2010, 07:18:21 PM »

I just had a thought:

April 22 is Earth day  :P
ref: Orgy of Green propaganda called Earth Day: A Week of Green Brainwashing

The Eyjafjallajökull eruption will be used as:

1) an excuse for why the weather is cooling
2) an example of how less air travel is "good" for the planet
3) a president to tax countries with volcanic activity
4) a stall strategy to avoid the Obama visit to Poland

Obama cancels Poland trip due to volcano fallout
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/17/AR2010041701961.html

Worldwide human CO2 emission last year [2006] were about 28 billion tons (28 gigatons)
http://atmoz.org/blog/2007/05/01/direct-co2-emissions-by-humans/

Volcanic activity alone injects around 200 trillion tons (200 teratons) of CO2 into the atmosphere each year (Gerlach, 1995).
http://atmoz.org/blog/2007/05/01/direct-co2-emissions-by-humans/

According to the journal Science (Nov. 5, 1982), termites alone emit ten times more carbon dioxide than all the factories and automobiles in the world. Natural wetlands emit more greenhouse gases than all human activities combined.
http://www.iloveco2.org/2009/04/termites-emit-ten-times-more-co2-than.html

Volcanic plume has far reaching effects on the weather, Earth
Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/world/story.html?id=2917955#ixzz0lOkslJeK

Ash plume saves carbon through grounded planes
http://www.greenwisebusiness.co.uk/news/ash-plume-saves-carbon-through-grounded-planes-1312.aspx

Iceland Volcanic Ash Causes Reductions in Revenue and CO2 Emissions
http://beforeitsnews.com/news/33713/Iceland_Volcanic_Ash_Causes_Reductions_in_Revenue_and_CO2_Emissions.html

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 03:06:59 AM »

Ural Airlines ignores volcanic ash warning and attempts flight to Rome

* April 18, 2010 1:38AM

A RUSSIAN commercial airplane attempted to travel from Moscow to Rome by flying under the ash cloud from Iceland's volcano, the Aviation Herald reported.

The flight, operated by the Russia's Ural Airlines, had to descend more than 9,000 feet while it flew over Krakow, Poland. Later, the crew reported that the plane was low on fuel and was forced to land in Vienna.

The Vienna Schwechat Airport, which remained open despite the closure of the airspace, was investigating the plane's engines for ash contamination. The Aviation Herald report did not say how many passengers were on the flight.

At least 26 countries in Europe closed parts of their airspace, leaving would-be travelers stranded across the globe as scientists warned that volcanic ash from Iceland could continue drifting across northern Europe for days to come.

Russia's airspace remained open yesterday but air travel disruptions were caused by a lack of available airspace beyond its borders. Italian airspace was closed.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/ural-airlines-ignores-volcanic-ash-warning-and-attempts-flight-to-rome/story-e6frfku0-1225855012388

~Aldous Huxley

Offline wfy9621

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 09:32:29 PM »
 Russia's such a responsible Global Citizen  :D

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2010, 10:03:55 PM »
Russia's such a responsible Global Citizen  :D

I like their attitude. They knew there was a good chance that flying below 9,000 feet would be relatively safe so they refused to panic and run around like chicken littles. The EU is pathetic. Surly there is plenty of data on flying through volcanic plumes. They just took the opportunity to do a DHS style total shutdown to remind everyone that they are slaves and they will travel when they are allowed to travel.

~Aldous Huxley

Offline wfy9621

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2010, 11:25:09 PM »
Just don't land on my house!

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 06:50:11 AM »

Astounding footage from above the volcanic crater in Iceland.

VIDEO
http://www.wimp.com/volcaniccrater/

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2010, 02:59:41 AM »

Beautiful time lapse of footage from Icelandic volcano.

http://www.wimp.com/icelandicvolcano/

~Aldous Huxley

Offline ConcordeWarrior

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2010, 03:04:12 AM »
I love Eyjafjallajökull.
The Sky is My Home

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2010, 04:51:50 PM »

Banks in Iceland against the Supreme court ? - foreign currency loans

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Icelandic Supreme court ruled  few days ,that loans based on foreing currency,are not leagal .
This means that people that had loans in foreign currency , will get it fixed to Icelandic currency.
For example , if a man had a car loan ,wich is now in 2. 5 million kronas, but he has also payd 500 thousand kronas,  the Supreme court ruling, means that the loan is now 500 thousnad ,plus interests,and not 2.5 million.
The Courts ruling , was about car loans, but it will probably also mean , that all loans in foreing currency in Iceland , are not leagal.

The banks might not follow the ruling .
Everything in the loan is OK except the foreign currency .
So the loan might have had 2 percent interests, and they have to , according to the Supreme court, just change the loans to Icelandic Krona's.

But the banks want to try and put higher interests rates,.
The banks in Iceland's made a run on the Icelandic Krona, so they would get more interests on the Foreign currency loans.
The public did not attack the krona.

If the Banks and Iceland's financial institutions do not follow the Supreme Courts Ruling, then the Icelandic Government ,must force them to do so.

But it does not matter ,who is in control of the Icelandic Government,  Right politics or Left politics, Money  always rules .

http://iceland-dori.blogspot.com/2010/06/banks-in-iceland-against-supreme-court.html

~Aldous Huxley