Parliamentary Subversion - DELPHI - Soft Mind Control, Scalable to All Forums?

Author Topic: Parliamentary Subversion - DELPHI - Soft Mind Control, Scalable to All Forums?  (Read 5943 times)

Offline tehowe

• Splitters, splitters!
    • Aleatoric
Wiki has this to say about the Rand Corporation's 'groupthink' exercise:

"The Delphi method is a systematic interactive forecasting method for obtaining forecasts from a panel of independent experts. The carefully selected experts answer questionnaires in two or more rounds. After each round, a facilitator provides an anonymous summary of the experts’ forecasts from the previous round as well as the reasons they provided for their judgments. Thus, participants are encouraged to revise their earlier answers in light of the replies of other members of the group. It is believed that during this process the range of the answers will decrease and the group will converge towards the "correct" answer... The panel director controls the interactions among the participants by processing the information and filtering out irrelevant content."

A less benevolent interpretation: http://www.eagleforum.org/educate/1998/nov98/focus.html

"In group settings, the Delphi Technique is an unethical method of achieving consensus on controversial topics. It requires well-trained professionals, known as "facilitators" or "change agents," who deliberately escalate tension among group members, pitting one faction against another to make a preordained viewpoint appear "sensible," while making opposing views appear ridiculous."

Could the UN be classified as just a big Delphi training institution for world leaders to achieve that pre-ordained consensus? I don't know enough about the UN's parliamentary process, or indeed if it qualifies as a parliament, to say whether it uses Delphi techniques to the letter or some variant.

In any case, this website provides good advice for short-circuiting Delphi in a public forum, in case any of you are planning on asking Hillary any more questions in the near future. http://www.learn-usa.com/transformation_process/acf002.htm

The Delphi Technique — How to Disrupt It

Ground rules for disrupting the consensus process (Delphi Technique) — when facilitators want to steer a group in a specific direction.

1)    Always Be Charming.  Smile, be pleasant, be courteous, moderate your voice so as not to come across as belligerent or aggressive.
2)    Stay Focused.  If at all possible, write your question down to help you stay focused.  Facilitators, when asked questions they don't want to answer, often digress from the issue raised and try to work the conversation around to where they can make the individual asking the question look foolish, feel foolish, appear belligerent or aggressive.  The goal is to put the one asking the question on the defensive.  Do not fall for this tactic.  Always be charming, thus deflecting any insinuation, innuendo, etc, that may be thrown at you in their attempt to put you on the defensive, but bring them back to the question you asked.  If they rephrase your question into an accusatory statement (a favorite tactic) simply state, "that is not what I stated, what I asked was… (repeat your question)."  Stay focused on your question.
3)    Be Persistent.  If putting you on the defensive doesn't work, facilitators often resort to long drawn out dissertations on some off-the-wall and usually unrelated, or vaguely related, subject that drags on for several minutes – during which time the crowd or group usually loses focus on the question asked (which is the intent).  Let them finish with their dissertation/expose, then nicely, with focus and persistence, state, "but you didn't answer my question.  My question was… (repeat your question)."

They go on to say that our smiling Delphic leaders will have people working the crowd, so don't all obviously congregate in one place (or wear pink T-Shirts) or you won't be called on to ask a question.

As a psy-op, it's pretty much the same technique that the media uses, only with indirect participation. Divide and conquer, with frippery and questionnaires and polling to smokescreen the real action, which is in the hands of a skilled manipulator. It's so cynical you could almost call it 'reptilian'. Almost. I prefer to call it worm-tongued.  :-\

Rand Institute, Tavistock, Kurt Lewin, they all deal in this kind of stuff. Social psychology.

Of course, if that fails, there's always psychiatry to fall back on:

The Shock Doctrine
http://www.naomiklein.org/shock-doctrine/short-film

Don't watch if you're faint of heart. But we should make note of the fact that Naomi Klein has become a 9/11 truther with the release of this film. Directed by the guy that did 'Children of Men'. As you'd expect, she tries to slam the free market but the rest of the info is gold-standard.
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
Right you are, they continually troll this forum but find no quarter thanks to exposes like the one in your post!
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline sour_claw

This technique is taught in universities to majors of Applied Sociology.  Good job providing the "Ground rules for disrupting the consensus process" as that is very helpful to those affected. 

Offline bootroll

Of interest in understanding how these immoral and corrupt techniques have evolved is,
http://nord.twu.net/acl/dialectic.html
Sweet Hope, ethereal balm upon me shed,
and wave thy silver pinions o'er my head!

Offline tehowe

• Splitters, splitters!
    • Aleatoric
Kurt Lewin, once head of Tavistock and someone well steeped in social psychology, had extremely mystical metaphysical beliefs that he couched in the language of number theory.

Check this out: The 'Dedekind Cut' is a thought experiment used by theoretical mathematicians to prove that the set of the Reals (ie, all rational and irrational numbers, meaning those with decimal extensions that go on indefinitely) is continuous. Kurt Lewin appropriated this and said, in effect, that since objects move through time (and I guess he assumed that time didn't have a quantum structure) then there is somethign called 'genidentity', and if things exhibit similarity, they are somehow magically linked. Everything is one, in other words there are no individuals, and everything lies along a number line. It's a bit obscure, but in my view, this is nothing but a rehashing of the medieval idea of the Chain of Being. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_of_being

That garb goes all the way back to Hegel and Kant. This makes its application to social theory crystal clear:

"Kant gives us what Lovejoy ([1936], Ch. IX) later called a “temporalized” version of the Chain of Being, in which creation takes the form of a natural development starting from the divine idea; and it comes about step by step, filling up space with worlds in the process of eternity. It is an evolutional ebb and flow in which worlds are formed and dissolved; but the production of ever new worlds guarantees the fullness and infinite variety of the whole. If in its temporal variations a system exhausts all the variety of which it is constitutionally capable, it becomes a
useless member of the Chain of Being, and so performs its last act in the vicissitudes of cosmic change, paying its tribute to mortality."

That's the intent of 'agents of change', whether they be Delphic mediators, neo-con preachers, gibbering practitioners of human sacrifice, totalitarian killers. They 'know they know' how we're meant to progress. If you won't, then you're not expected to talk, in the immortal words of Goldfinger: You're expected to DIE.

THIS IS THE LINK BETWEEN PLATO's IDEA OF THE SACRED 'FORM' AND WHAT WE SEE HAPPENING AROUND US. This is the metaphysical basis of feudalism.

http://etext.virginia.edu/cgi-local/DHI/dhi.cgi?id=dv1-45

I can see clearly now, the rain has gone.
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

Offline tehowe

• Splitters, splitters!
    • Aleatoric
I haven't read through all of this, but it looks like it does a good job of tearing Hegelianism a new one.

THE ANTI COMMUNITARIAN MANIFESTO
http://nord.twu.net/acl/dialectic.html#four

GGGaaaaaaHHHH! I have that "I feel like throwing my desk at the wall" kind of feeling today.

Offline Biggs

@tehowe

a very cool post, thank you for the info, I can see how some of this stuff plays out on forums such as this one (and others) and the effect it can have on unity and debate and achieving a balance or consensus. very interesting.
STOP THE KILLING NOW
END THE CRIMINAL SIEGE OF GAZA - FREE PALESTINE!!!!!!!