Author Topic: Girl dies after 6 years of torture in Juvenile Detention  (Read 2465 times)

Offline sharpsteve

• Twitter Me
Girl dies after 6 years of torture in Juvenile Detention
« on: January 09, 2010, 02:47:48 am »
This was one of the most disturbing things I have seen. If this is what they will do to a child can you imagine what happens in Gitmo.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2009-2010/out_of_control/
45 min

Ashley Smith was barely into her teens when she was sent to a youth detention centre in her home province of New Brunswick. Her crime: she had tossed crabapples at a mailman. Smith’s one-month sentence would stretch to almost four years, served in 11 institutions in 5 provinces.

Ashley Smith was a troubled 19-year-old when she choked herself to death with a strip of cloth at Grand Valley Institution in Kitchener, Ontario. Her death made national headlines and led to a scathing report by Canada’s federal prison ombudsman. Now, through exclusive access to prison video exposing Ashley’s treatment in custody, the fifth estate shares the story of this young woman’s harrowing life and the circumstances surrounding her death.

To tell Ashley’s story, the fifth estate fought for and gained access to shocking prison video, showing Smith being subdued by physical force, pepper sprayed, and cocooned in a completely restrictive body bag called “the wrap”. The longer Smith was confined to her various segregation cells, the worse her behaviour became and the more extreme, and frequent, the punishments. What she really needed was mental health assessment and treatment. She never got it.

How did a girl from a loving family die the way she did? With the prison videotapes and exclusive access to Smith’s parents, along with a fellow inmate, the fifth estate and reporter Hana Gartner expose a system that fails the many Ashley Smiths still incarcerated in Canadian institutions.

Offline s3d1t0r

• F̱̹̳̖o̤llow the mon̐ͫ͂̓̊̓͊ë́͐͒̍ȳ̏ͨ̾͆
    • Seditious Blasphemy doth appear here!
Re: Girl dies after 6 years of torture in Juvenile Detention
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 03:08:49 am »

[cynicism]
But... they were there, from the Government... they were there to help! [/cynicism]
“go to work, send your kids to school
follow fashion, act normal
walk on the pavement, watch T.V.
save for your old age, obey the law
Repeat after me: I am free

Offline alistair

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 03:21:40 am »
f**king hell

Offline alistair

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 03:23:14 am »
I guess in Canada   MK Ultra  and torture techniques are still prevalent

Offline Tsul777

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 03:28:17 am »
Brought to you by the same fucks that would taser a young girl already hand cuffed in her cell

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story/2009/12/11/nwt-taser-report.html
I AM POLITICALLY AGNOSTIC AND PROUD OF IT - John Tsul

Offline sharpsteve

• Twitter Me
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 10:19:16 am »
I guess in Canada   MK Ultra  and torture techniques are still prevalent

Loos like it.

Offline DanAbnormal

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 10:36:12 am »
And it could happen to any one of us or our family members. These guys should have the same "treatments" done to themselves.

Offline SpeakUpFightBack

• voxOnox.com
    • voxOnox.com
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 11:04:46 am »
This was one of the most disturbing things I have seen. If this is what they will do to a child can you imagine what happens in Gitmo.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2009-2010/out_of_control/
45 min

Ashley Smith was barely into her teens when she was sent to a youth detention centre in her home province of New Brunswick. Her crime: she had tossed crabapples at a mailman. Smith’s one-month sentence would stretch to almost four years, served in 11 institutions in 5 provinces.

Ashley Smith was a troubled 19-year-old when she choked herself to death with a strip of cloth at Grand Valley Institution in Kitchener, Ontario. Her death made national headlines and led to a scathing report by Canada’s federal prison ombudsman. Now, through exclusive access to prison video exposing Ashley’s treatment in custody, the fifth estate shares the story of this young woman’s harrowing life and the circumstances surrounding her death.

To tell Ashley’s story, the fifth estate fought for and gained access to shocking prison video, showing Smith being subdued by physical force, pepper sprayed, and cocooned in a completely restrictive body bag called “the wrap”. The longer Smith was confined to her various segregation cells, the worse her behaviour became and the more extreme, and frequent, the punishments. What she really needed was mental health assessment and treatment. She never got it.

How did a girl from a loving family die the way she did? With the prison videotapes and exclusive access to Smith’s parents, along with a fellow inmate, the fifth estate and reporter Hana Gartner expose a system that fails the many Ashley Smiths still incarcerated in Canadian institutions.

Wow!!!

Will share!!!
"To revolt is a natural tendency of life. Even a worm turns against the foot that crushes it. In general, the vitality and relative dignity of an animal can be measured by the intensity of its instinct to revolt." - Mikhail Bakunin

PullMyFinger

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 11:36:31 am »
When I was 16 I was put into a *private* foster care system in Indiana.It was called regional.The foster parents were paid more than normal(mine bragged about it) and were not subject to the same rules.I wont go into detail because 30 years later it is worse trauma for me than the molestation and abuse of earlier years.
Long story short I complained to my worker about the abuse I was getting, it wasn't physical but it was very damaging.She refused to listen and when I refusd to go back she called the police.
At 16 if I weighed 90 pounds I was lucky but that did not stop two of Indiana's finest from locking cuffs on me and hauling me off.Once there I asked to call my mom.The matron pulled me up by my jacket and informed me I had no rights in HER state.For 2 weeks I had no way to bathe,the only thing I had to drink was black coffee and water and very little toilet paper.Requests for the basics a child murderer would have recieved were met with,"This aint the Hilton kid,shut up".My mother was told I had run away.I was paraded in front of prospective foster parents but I was as surely and bitchy as possible to make them leave.They didnt want me.The only reaso I got out was that someone who recognized me and called momma.Then I got blamed for being a bad and rebelious child.
The fiasco stared when I quit school at 16.It was an adult holding cell,btw.
All in all, I consider myself one of the lucky ones because I lived.
My hart goes out so much t any children that have to suffer through these experiences.
This is odd.Second time since the first I have told this story,I normally block most of my life before 18.Maybe there is a reason,I didnt even tell my own husban for many years.I was forbidden to talk about it for a long time,like the rest of the abuse.It was "my fault" for being bratty and anti social.That was the "party line" I ws forced to accept.

Offline sharpsteve

• Twitter Me
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 03:11:59 am »
It has all been designed to destroy these kids. What is done to kids is the same kind of things going on in CIA prisons.

I'd like to see AJ go over some of this video and break it down on his show.

Offline SpeakUpFightBack

• voxOnox.com
    • voxOnox.com
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 03:55:07 am »
It has all been designed to destroy these kids. What is done to kids is the same kind of things going on in CIA prisons.

I'd like to see AJ go over some of this video and break it down on his show.

Me too... anymore I feel like you have to be pure f-cking evil to get hired by the government.

http://tinypic.com/r/sncj1s/6
"To revolt is a natural tendency of life. Even a worm turns against the foot that crushes it. In general, the vitality and relative dignity of an animal can be measured by the intensity of its instinct to revolt." - Mikhail Bakunin

Offline jjbk

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 11:43:52 am »
alll I see in that video is her own mother and father  neglecting her and not having the tools to be a parents

then in the show, Canada promised us, WTF, Be better parents

but this girl was just trted like a dog, and thats really sad and I hope ppl go down for that

Offline NotASlave

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 02:12:10 pm »
When I was 16 I was put into a *private* foster care system in Indiana.It was called regional.The foster parents were paid more than normal(mine bragged about it) and were not subject to the same rules.I wont go into detail because 30 years later it is worse trauma for me than the molestation and abuse of earlier years.
Long story short I complained to my worker about the abuse I was getting, it wasn't physical but it was very damaging.She refused to listen and when I refusd to go back she called the police.
At 16 if I weighed 90 pounds I was lucky but that did not stop two of Indiana's finest from locking cuffs on me and hauling me off.Once there I asked to call my mom.The matron pulled me up by my jacket and informed me I had no rights in HER state.For 2 weeks I had no way to bathe,the only thing I had to drink was black coffee and water and very little toilet paper.Requests for the basics a child murderer would have recieved were met with,"This aint the Hilton kid,shut up".My mother was told I had run away.I was paraded in front of prospective foster parents but I was as surely and bitchy as possible to make them leave.They didnt want me.The only reaso I got out was that someone who recognized me and called momma.Then I got blamed for being a bad and rebelious child.
The fiasco stared when I quit school at 16.It was an adult holding cell,btw.
All in all, I consider myself one of the lucky ones because I lived.
My hart goes out so much t any children that have to suffer through these experiences.
This is odd.Second time since the first I have told this story,I normally block most of my life before 18.Maybe there is a reason,I didnt even tell my own husban for many years.I was forbidden to talk about it for a long time,like the rest of the abuse.It was "my fault" for being bratty and anti social.That was the "party line" I ws forced to accept.

Wow - you got CPS'ed :(

See my tagline
The Social Workers Mantra: "All Mothers neglect, All Fathers rape babies and Children never lie, unless they recant"

PullMyFinger

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 02:38:35 pm »
Wow - you got CPS'ed :(

See my tagline
It did not end until a 3 year battle with them over my own children,and leaving the area entirely.
Very true in your tagline,however real child abuse does exist and yes some mothers neglect it.That was my whole issue.But CPS did not step in until AFTER the abuse stopped.Why?Because my single working mother was vunerable and my brother and I were damaged.They knew that and tried to manipulate me through that. I seemed to understand that ata deep level.They figured she is disabled so therefore maybe not as smart.20% of us with cerebral palsey have high intellegence but have a hard time showing it and that is why I rebeled I think. I knew a lot of kids like me and it was mostly the same story.We were considered lost kids but possiblly more sane than the rest.
Peace.

PullMyFinger

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 02:43:32 pm »
alll I see in that video is her own mother and father  neglecting her and not having the tools to be a parents

then in the show, Canada promised us, WTF, Be better parents

but this girl was just trted like a dog, and thats really sad and I hope ppl go down for that
That is how it happens. It is horrible to abuse and neglet children and perhaps those that do should not have them.In theory child protective services is a great thing, get children out of abusive situations.Truthfully,I first ran into this over 30 years ago and can tell you the abuse and neglect these children go through is worse,in most cases,after they have been removed.
There are many children a year that come up "missing" in this system.Where do they go?They do not all run away,especially the very small ones.Read my story above,it was by the grace of something I did not become one of the missing.Actually I was for 2 weeks.One of my foster dad'sthought sexual innuendo with me was "cute".(he never touched me tho)
CPS'd children are a pool to chose from.These kids are damaged to begin with,easily manipulated,easily forgotten.