Recession finally hits McDonald's

Author Topic: Recession finally hits McDonald's  (Read 32396 times)

Offline America2

• Romans 10:9-10 King James Version

Offline larsonstdoc

Re: Recession finally hits McDonald's
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 02:09:04 AM »

Obama would spin this by saying that the American people are recovering from the economic slowdown because there are less people going to McDonalds--They are now going to upscale restaurants.
I'M A DEPLORABLE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT SUPPORTS PRESIDENT TRUMP.  MAY GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIM SAFE.

Offline Monkeypox

• He Loved Big Brother
    • Monkeypox
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 03:36:31 AM »

Obama would spin this by saying that the American people are recovering from the economic slowdown because there are less people going to McDonalds--They are now going to upscale restaurants.

Like Wendy's?

:P
War Is Peace - Freedom Is Slavery - Ignorance Is Strength

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."

—Thomas Jefferson

Offline bzierath

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 04:19:40 AM »
It's more likely that people are following a trend to more Subways and healthier choices.  McDonalds is f**king poison and alternatives have arrived.
~BZ

Offline Joseon

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 04:20:28 AM »
good point..
maybe people are becoming wiser.
http://www.H20labs.com
http://www.Mercola.com/article/mercury/mercury_elimination.htm

Drink distilled water for Pure Health:

Detox with cilantro:

Omura determined that cilantro could mobilize mercury and other toxic metals rapidly from the CNS.96 97

Spread the Word.

Offline WHAT HAPPENED

• G4M3 0V3R
McDonald's Sets Benchmark for China With Yuan Bond Sale
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 08:43:12 PM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-19/mcdonald-s-yuan-bonds-set-standard-as-china-promotes-debt-credit-markets.html

McDonald’s Corp.’s yuan bond sale, the first by a foreign company in Hong Kong, may pave the way for a new global debt market as China seeks to capitalize on its status as the engine of the world’s economic recovery.

McDonald’s, which opened its first 1,000 restaurants in China faster than any other country outside the U.S., sold 200 million yuan ($29 million) of 3 percent notes due in September 2013. Bentonville, Arkansas-based Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the world’s largest retailer, said in March it was considering selling bonds in yuan.

More at source...

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
Re: McDonald's Sets Benchmark for China With Yuan Bond Sale
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 09:03:02 PM »
is this method of financing against the rules of a US corporation?
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline citizenx

Re: McDonald's Sets Benchmark for China With Yuan Bond Sale
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 09:25:09 PM »
Can't see anyhting illegal about it.

Whether it should be illegal is another matter entirely, but I'm not sure I would want to see such a blanket restriction on businesses or individuals for that matter.

Definitely a sign of the times, though.

Offline oyashango

• 43 Trillion and counting
Homeless Upset About McDonald's Dollar Menu Increase
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 07:47:21 PM »

Homeless Upset About McDonald's Dollar Menu Increase

Tuesday, 07 Sep 2010, 9:48 AM EDT

CANVAS STAFF REPORTS - Unhappy meals have arrived at a McDonald's in San Francisco.

Homeless people who hang out at the nearby Golden Gate Park used to get 99-cent burgers at the McDonald's located at Haight and Stanyan streets in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood.

But the eatery got rid of its Dollar Menu about a month ago. That move, which McDonald's called a simple business decision, means items on the menu are now too expensive for the people who spend much of their day hanging out on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant.

Items on the Dollar Menu now cost around $1.50.

"I eat less. I have to get more money," said 29-year-old Nicholas Newhart to The San Francisco Chronicle . He was not happy with the price increase and said, "If I don't have a dollar and I want food, I just end up going to a trash can."

Homelessness has been a problem in San Francisco for decades. Tension between business owners and homeless people who hang out on sidewalks in front of their stores and offices has prompted Mayor Gavin Newsom and some Haight Street merchants to support a ballot measure in November that would ban sitting or lying on public sidewalks, The Chronicle reported.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpps/news/homeless-upset-about-mcdonalds-dollar-menu-increase-dpgoh-20100907-fc_9517802

Offline MonkeyPuppet

• aut libertas aut mors
Re: Homeless Upset About McDonald's Dollar Menu Increase
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 07:50:43 PM »

San Fran needs a homeless garden co-op... screw McDonald's, no one should eat that garbage.

Income Tax: Shattering The Myths
w w w . original intent . o r g

The 1911 in .45 ACP... don't leave home without it!  Safety first!!

Offline phosphene

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 07:55:28 PM »
mcdonalds changed the name to "value" menu....so its OK.  ::)
"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play."--Joshua

Offline Freeski

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 08:44:52 PM »
Government creates homelessness.

(or at least perpetuates homelessness through its rigging of the marketplace)

Government is the problem. Why the heck do we need them to do so much anyway?

Personal responsibility. Let's take it all back!
"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline End_The_Fed

• Me Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 09:18:16 PM »

HAHAHAHAHA Get a job Bum!
No matter where your at......There you are!.....

Offline Freeski

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 09:38:52 PM »
"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 09:46:07 PM »

I give bums dollars these days , I'm just a paycheck away from them.

and I agree.
"I do not believe that there were, at the Council of Nicea,
three persons present who believed in the truth of what was set down.
If there were, it was on account of their ignorance."
J. M. Roberts, "Antiquity Unveiled", 1892

Offline Freeski

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 09:47:37 PM »
I give bums dollars these days , I'm just a paycheck away from them.

and I agree.

Me too, but not always. Not the "entrepreneurs".

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 09:52:45 PM »
Me too, but not always. Not the "entrepreneurs".

You gotta really look worse off than me , which ain't too hard cuz I'm just dressed up like blue collar sheep.

Tip to pizza guy , when you turn up at my house , keep your radio down and don't have a nicer car than me , cuz your tip ends up smaller ....who am i kidding though i get food delivered like once a year...lame.
"I do not believe that there were, at the Council of Nicea,
three persons present who believed in the truth of what was set down.
If there were, it was on account of their ignorance."
J. M. Roberts, "Antiquity Unveiled", 1892

Offline freedom_commonsense

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 10:23:38 AM »
I might be one the way things are going, and if I was desperate enough I would eat even McDonald's food. Better than starvation...

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
Fed's Emergency-Loan Borrowers Ranged From Bank of America to McDonald's
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 04:38:13 AM »
Fed's Emergency-Loan Borrowers Ranged From Bank of America to McDonald's
2 December 2010
, by Craig Torres and Scott Lanman (Bloomberg)
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-01/fed-crisis-borrowers-ranged-from-bank-of-america-to-mcdonald-s.html

Excerpt:

The Federal Reserve’s emergency lending during the financial crisis spanned the global economy, from the largest U.S. financial firms to community banks, hedge funds and a fast-food company.

The Fed, in compliance with orders from Congress, today named recipients of $3.3 trillion in emergency aid. Among them were U.S. branches of overseas banks, including Switzerland’s UBS AG; corporations such as General Electric Co. and McDonald’s Corp.; and investors like Pacific Investment Management Co. and computer executive Michael Dell.

Lawmakers demanded disclosure, over the Fed’s initial objections, as U.S. central bankers pushed beyond their traditional role of backstopping banks to stem the worst financial panic since the Great Depression. The Fed posted the data on its website to comply with a provision in July’s Dodd- Frank law overhauling financial regulation.

“Perhaps most surprising is the huge sum that went to bail out foreign private banks and corporations,” Senator Bernard Sanders, the Vermont Independent who wrote the provision on Fed disclosure, said in a statement today. “As a result of this disclosure, other members of Congress and I will be taking a very extensive look at all aspects of how the Federal Reserve functions.”
->>>|:-) THE CITY INDIANS (-:|<<<-

Offline America2

Re: Fed's Emergency-Loan Borrowers Ranged From Bank of America to McDonald's
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 09:09:31 AM »
Why MCDONALD'S of ALL people?!? ???

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 03:54:14 PM »
Why MCDONALD'S of ALL people?!? ???

Maybe they got rewarded by the Eugenists with money stolen from the slaves (us) for putting killing poison in their food.

"Thank you McDonald" says Rockefeller for killing people helping our population reduction sceme.

Not lovin' it: U.S. chicken McNuggets 'contain SILLY PUTTY chemical' :o
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1291526/U-S-Chicken-McNuggets-contain-Silly-Putty-chemical-calories-fat-Britain.html

Offline America2

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 12:20:21 AM »
Maybe they got rewarded by the Eugenists with money stolen from the slaves (us) for putting killing poison in their food.

"Thank you McDonald" says Rockefeller for killing people helping our population reduction sceme.

Not lovin' it: U.S. chicken McNuggets 'contain SILLY PUTTY chemical' :o
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1291526/U-S-Chicken-McNuggets-contain-Silly-Putty-chemical-calories-fat-Britain.html

Remember the so-called "great" 1990's years when the info-tech boom happened, and all of a sudden the economy just boomed to neverland...those were also the same years when stuff like 99 cent special Big Macs happened at least for a period of time once a year. I myself would indulge in them like 2-3 at a time when they were on sale. It wasn't until 2001, prior to 9/11 happening, when they pretty much cut these specials off completely. If anything, the "good" economy was an excuse to say we can afford to give out these specials, while when the economy started falling since 2001, it ended up giving them an excuse saying they had to stop it completely.

If anything, the "great" 90's was used to condition the masses for the earth-shattering events starting in 2001, one being dumbing them down with all these poisoned-foods.

Offline Freeski

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 12:36:31 AM »
Amazing. Give me control of money, food and media, and I control everything.

Offline America2

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 12:41:25 AM »
Amazing. Give me control of money, food and media, and I control everything.

Wasn't Wendy's Dave Thomas a Freemason?(although the MSM and the establishment portrayed him as someone who had a kind heart giving alot of his riches, doing for the poor, and somehow said how he established Wendy's to help the general public et al)

Of course, if Thomas was really a good guy, he would probably be your average middle class joe, instead of one of the wealthy elite.

The Chick-A-File guy is pretty suspicious too - although the founders profess themselves to be Christians(and they make a big deal why they close on Sundays, and them giving 10% tithe), again, if this family were true born again believers, then I doubt they would be in the business of selling poisoned food to the public. The bible says in Luke that what's highly esteemed among men is an abomination in the sight of God. The fact that these founders seem to be just that(despite being professed born agains), and in this very business should raise alot of suspicions.

Offline Freeski

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 12:53:35 AM »
The fast food chains are all interlinked through licensing, taxation, regulation, trade agreements, government inspections, audits and so on. They're hardly free to be entrepreneurial, and since they're basically owned by the state, they're all clones of one another. What you have there sounds a lot like fascism.

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
Mcdonald's to hike China investment by 40% in 2011
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 02:59:10 AM »
Mcdonald's to hike China investment by 40% in 2011
14 December 2010
, by Laurie Burkitt - Beijing (MarketWatch)
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mcdonalds-to-hike-china-investment-by-40-in-2011-2010-12-14

Excerpt:

McDonald's Corp. said Wednesday it will increase its investment in China by 40% next year and aims to open up to 200 new restaurants in the country in the next three years.

The U.S. fast-food giant said it will invest in opening new and updating existing restaurants.

----

Among the 200 new restaurants it is eyeing in China, half will be drive-through outlets, according to the company.

charrington

McDonald's Created Half of All New US Jobs in May
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 02:38:11 PM »
The McDonald’s fast-food chain may have been responsible for at least half the jobs created in the United States in May, according to numbers reported by MarketWatch.

Morgan Stanley calls it the “McDonald’s Effect,” according to MarketWatch’s Washington Bureau Chief Steve Goldstein — an estimate that as many of the 30,000 of the 54,000 jobs added in May were the result of a hiring binge by the hamburger chain, according to The Weekly Standard.

“McDonald’s ran a big hiring day on April 19 — after the Labor Department’s April survey for the payrolls report was conducted — in which 62,000 jobs were added,” MarketWatch reported. “That’s not a net number, of course, and seasonal adjustment will reduce the Hamburglar impact on payrolls. (In simpler terms — restaurants always staff up for the summer; the Labor Department makes allowance for this effect.) Morgan Stanley estimates McDonald’s hiring will boost the overall number by 25,000 to 30,000. The Labor Department won’t detail an exact McDonald’s figure — they won’t identify any company they survey — but there will be data in the report to give a rough estimate.”
Continued...

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/mcdonalds-jobs-us-creation/2011/06/03/id/398806

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
McDonald's Oct. same-store sales off by 1.8%
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 05:08:18 AM »
McDonald's Oct. same-store sales off by 1.8%
8 November 2012
, by Steve Gelsi  - New York (MarketWatch)
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mcdonalds-october-same-store-sales-off-by-22-2012-11-08

McDonald's Corp. said Thursday its October same-store sales fell 1.8%.

The fast food company's U.S. and Europe segments both fell by 2.2%, while Asia/Pacific, Middle East and Africa dropped 2.4%.

Systemwide sales for the month dropped by 0.8%.

In the U.S., modest consumer demand and heightened competitive activity offset the impact of local Dollar Menu advertising, the company's Monopoly promotion, and the recent launch of the Cheddar Bacon Onion premium sandwiches, the company said.

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
Chart Of The Day: When $0.99 Becomes Unaffordable, We Have A Problem
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 07:37:20 AM »
Chart Of The Day: When $0.99 Becomes Unaffordable, We Have A Problem
8 November 2012
, by Tyler Durden (Zero Hedge)
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-11-08/chart-day-when-099-becomes-unaffordable-we-have-problem

Earlier today, fast food juggernaut McDonalds reported same store sales for the month October. At -1.8%, this number was well below expectations of -1.1%, and a drop from September's 1.9%.

It was driven by a 2%+ drop in comp store sales across all locations: US, Europea and APMEA, with the US performing just as bad as Europe.

Most importantly, this was the first monthly drop in MCD comp sales since March 2003!

So our question is: at what point does the perpetually self-deluded US population finally admit to itself that when even 99 cent meals are no longer affordable, that this country has a problem?

Charting the last 4 years of McD sales, and eagerly looking forward to 4 more years.

Offline bento

Re: McDonald's Oct. same-store sales off by 1.8%
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 09:22:42 AM »
maybe people just don't want to eat crappy food that will make them sick?
We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much and the best of us is washed away.

Offline Valerius

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2012, 11:02:42 AM »
What are the odds that it will said that it was the addition of "healthy" foods that caused it?
"No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck."  -Frederick Douglass

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, 05:23:44 PM »
maybe people just don't want to eat crappy food that will make them sick?

Yes, it's crappy food but I don't think it's because people suddenly changed their attitude regarding these health issues so I think that's not the point.

Point is that the shit is hitting the fan right now and that people seriously gotto think about what's actualy happening and how they think they're gonna change that.

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
McDonald's Japan Nov. comp. sales down 3.1% YOY
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 01:04:30 PM »
McDonald's Japan Nov. comp. sales down 3.1% YOY
10 December 2012
, by Hiroyuki Kachi - Tokyo (MarketWatch)
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mcdonalds-japan-nov-comp-sales-down-31-yoy-2012-12-10

McDonald's Holdings Co. (Japan) Ltd. said Monday that its same store sales in November fell 3.1% on year, stretching its streak of on-year declines to eight months in a row.

Explaining the fall in November, the company said the reporting month had one-less weekend day compared with a year earlier and also cited a decision to hold back a price discount sales promotion.

Offline larsonstdoc

Re: McDonald's Japan Nov. comp. sales down 3.1% YOY
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 07:51:24 PM »

If this keeps up, the Japanese are going to get skinny and healthier.
I'M A DEPLORABLE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT SUPPORTS PRESIDENT TRUMP.  MAY GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIM SAFE.

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
McDonald's Japan Dec. same-store sales down 8.6%
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 07:05:47 AM »
McDonald's Japan Dec. same-store sales down 8.6%
8 January 2013
, by Hiroyuki Kachi - Tokyo (MarketWatch)
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mcdonalds-japan-dec-same-store-sales-down-86-2013-01-08

McDonald's Holdings Co. (Japan) Ltd. said Tuesday its same-store sales in December fell 8.6% on year, extending a string of on-year decline to nine months in a row.

The company cited weakness in the nation's restaurant industry and the decision to refrain from holding many discount promotions.

The number of customer visits on a same-store basis fell 0.8% for the second consecutive month, less than the 2.6% decline in November.

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
McDonald's global comparable sales fall 1.9%
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »
McDonald's global comparable sales fall 1.9%
8 February 2013
, by Saumya Vaishampayan New York (MarketWatch)
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mcdonalds-global-comparable-sales-fall-19-2013-02-08

McDonald's Corp. said Friday global comparable sales in January fell 1.9%, fueled by a 9.5% decline in the Asia/Pacific, Middle East and Africa region.

The fast-food chain attributed the region's sales decline to ongoing weakness in Japan, a timing shift of the Chinese New Year and fallout over recent supply issues in the Chinese chicken industry.

January comparable U.S. sales rose 0.9%.

More: McDonald's January same-store sales down 1.9% http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mcdonalds-january-same-store-sales-down-19-2013-02-08

Also interesting:

Big Mac prices show which euro zone states best at belt-tightening
6 February 2013
, Brussels (Reuters)
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/02/06/oukoe-uk-eurozone-economy-bigmac-idUKBRE9150VQ20130206

Forget about statistics for employment and industrial production, it is being claimed that the price of a hamburger is showing where Europe's economic reforms are working - and where they are not.

By studying the different prices for McDonald's Big Mac burger throughout the euro zone between July 2011 and January 2013, Guntram Wolff, an economist at think-tank Bruegel, found evidence that struggling countries like Ireland had tightened their belts and others had not.

The price of a Big Mac has been used by The Economist for decades as a partially tongue-in-cheek way of judging global currency valuations - the gist being that it costs the same to make but is charged at different prices around the world.

Wolff took the data and found that the price rise in Greece, Portugal and Spain has been less than the euro zone average, while in Ireland the price actually fell.

These are the main countries undergoing deep economic reform due to the debt crisis.

This contrasts with price rises above the euro zone burger average in Germany.

Wolff concludes from this that economic adjustment is working.

For example, In Ireland, which has made spending cuts after receiving international aid, the burger price has fallen from €3.80 to less than €3.50.

There is one notable exception, however. Heavily-indebted Italy is the most expensive country in the euro area to buy a Big Mac - €3.85 - while it costs just €3.64 in Germany.

"Italy," said Wolff, "needs to apply the right policies to address high inflation."

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
McDonald's comparable sales down 1.5% in February
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2013, 06:10:16 PM »
McDonald's comparable sales down 1.5% in February
8 March 2013
, by Saumya Vaishampayan - New York (MarketWatch)
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mcdonalds-comparable-sales-down-15-in-february-2013-03-08-8911026

McDonald's Corp. said Friday global comparable sales in February fell 1.5% as the year-ago period had one extra day due to leap year.

Excluding the discrepancy, global comparable sales rose 1.7% in February.

The Oak Brook, Ill.-based fast-food company said February sales in the U.S. fell 3.3% and were flat excluding the extra day.

Shares rose 1% in premarket trading.

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
McDonald’s Same-Store U.S. Sales Drop For The First Time Since 2003
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2013, 04:06:20 PM »
McDonald’s Profit Little Changed as U.S. Sales Slide
19 April 2013
. by Leslie Patton (Bloomberg)
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-19/mcdonald-s-profit-little-changed-as-u-s-sales-slide.html

McDonald’s Corp. (MCD), the world’s largest restaurant chain by sales, posted first-quarter profit that was little changed as same-store sales dropped in the U.S. for the first time since 2003 amid soft global demand.

Net income was about $1.27 billion, or $1.26 share, compared with $1.27 billion, or $1.23, a year earlier, the Oak Brook, Illinois-based company said in a statement today.

Analysts projected $1.26, the average of 29 estimates compiled by Bloomberg.

While Chief Executive Officer Don Thompson has tried to lure diners from competitors by advertising its dollar menu in the U.S., its domestic comparable-store sales fell for the first time in 10 years.

Global sales at locations open at least 13 months fell 1% in the quarter, driven by a 1.2% U.S. decline.

Analysts projected a 1.1% drop for both worldwide and in the U.S., the average of 25 estimates compiled by Consensus Metrix.

“They need more new product news,” Jack Russo, a St. Louis-based analyst at Edward Jones & Co., said in a phone interview.

“Wendy’s is a better competitor than they used to be, Burger King is a better competitor than it has been, and Taco Bell is back -- you’ve got some good competition here in the states.”

McDonald’s fell 1.7% to $100.18 at 9:37 a.m. in New York, after dropping as much as 2.4% for the biggest intraday decline since Oct. 19.

The shares rose 16% this year through yesterday, while the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index gained 8.1%.

New Menus

U.S. restaurant chains, including McDonald’s, are vying to attract diners with the most exciting new menu item as consumer confidence wanes.

The Big Mac seller this year began selling Fish McBites and sweet-chili chicken wraps.

On April 22, it will introduce a 250-calorie egg-white breakfast sandwich.

Burger King Worldwide Inc. (BKW) last month started selling turkey and veggie burgers, while Wendy’s Co. rolled out flatbread grilled-chicken sandwiches.

Confidence among U.S. consumers fell in April to a nine- month low as Americans grew more pessimistic about the economy following the higher payroll tax.

The Thomson Reuters/University of Michigan preliminary index of consumer sentiment dropped to 72.3 this month, from 78.6 in March.

“For the month of April, global comparable sales are expected to be slightly negative,” Thompson said in the statement.

“The challenging global environment and bottom-line pressures are expected to persist.’

China Scrutiny

Even as McDonald’s faces declining confidence among Americans, it’s also vulnerable to increased scrutiny from Chinese consumers about the quality of fast-food chicken.

Yum! Brands Inc. (YUM), owner of KFC and Pizza Hut, said earlier this month that same-store sales dropped 13% in China in March.

The company is trying to win back consumers after a former supplier was investigated for supplying chicken with too much antibiotics.

Publicity associated with the deadly bird-flu outbreak in China is also negatively affecting sales at KFC stores, it said in a regulatory filing on April 10.

McDonald’s, which has more than 34,400 restaurants worldwide, said currency translation negatively affected first- quarter earnings by 1 cent a share.

Revenue climbed 1 percent to $6.61 billion in the quarter. Analysts estimated $6.59 billion, on average.

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
McDonald's downgraded by CLSA
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 02:22:09 PM »
McDonald's downgraded by CLSA
22 April 2013
, by Andria Cheng - New York (MarketWatch)
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mcdonalds-downgraded-by-clsa-2013-04-22

McDonald's Corp. shares were cut to outperform from buy by CLSA on Monday.

While CLSA still calls the fast-food giant the "best house on the block" in the U.S., it said most of the company's major informal eating out markets in Europe, Middle East and Africa are "either flat-lining or declining."

Meanwhile in Asia, the weaker yen presents a "new complication" in Japan because the local market may be forced to raise prices because about 50% of its beef and other core protein consumption is imported at substantially higher prices.

In China, there's concern regarding food safety and the uncertainty risk of consumer and government reaction, CLSA said. McDonald's, a Dow member, fell 1.4%.

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
Big Mac Index Shows Official CPI Underreports Inflation
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2013, 01:41:33 PM »
Big Mac Index Shows Official CPI Underreports Inflation
16 March 2013
, by David John Marotta (Forbes)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidmarotta/2013/04/16/big-mac-index-shows-official-cpi-underreports-inflation/

In “Better to Bank with Cyprus Than the United States?” we wrote:

In 1996 the government began measuring inflation differently, lowering the reported number significantly. … The average Big Mac costs 83.5% more.

Even though the cost of a Big Mac has risen from $2.36 to $4.33, the CPI index has only adjusted to pay $3.49 for a Big Mac leaving seniors $0.84 shy of smiling.

Put another way the lack of an adequate CPI adjustments leave seniors 71 days shy of a year’s worth of lovin’ it. Seniors really deserve a break today.

If you want to eat every month of your retirement you need to guard your portfolio against government induced inflation and the lack of accurate reporting in the official statistics.

Big Mac data from http://bigmacindex.org/bmi-data-text-format.html

CPI data from http://www.bls.gov/cpi/