Videogamer wakes up to Call Of Duty Modern Warfare's desensitization

Author Topic: Videogamer wakes up to Call Of Duty Modern Warfare's desensitization  (Read 22033 times)

Offline squarepusher

Seems at least one videogamer out there is waking up, smelling the coffee and noticing what vile stuff he's actually enacting on the screen (and, just to preface this, I play videogames sometimes myself).

This was a letter published in the world's top videogame magazine, Edge Magazine (it's kind of like the Time Magazine or National Geographic of the industry). The guy won a prize for his letter, apparently:

IN response to Stephen Poole's article [Survival horror syndrome, E206], I feel accusations of mindless extermination within videogames are, unfortunately, not without justification. Furthermore, this may be exacerbated by the impending release of Modern Warfare 2.

At the conclusion of its technically superb predecessor, Call Of Duty 4, I vowed never to kill another virtual human being ever again, be they Russian, Afghan or any other nationality for that matter.

The game's pro-western depiction of contemporary warfare lacked context; war is almost always motivated by either politics, religion, or in most cases greed. Yet, save for some rather tenuous implications of terrorism, neither the enemy's nor the allies' true motivations were ever really considered. Perhaps most disappointing was the stereotypical portrayal of said enemies. It seemed any individual brandishing a headscarf, or speaking in a tongue vaguely reminiscent of Bond villains past, was to be 'neutralised' without thought or execution.

With the exception of a chilling post-nuclear-explosion sequence, I feel Infinity Ward failed to provide an honest and balanced view of the conflict. This has since led me to question the sincerity of any videogame attempting to portray real-life events, historical or contemporary. Developers need to introduce greater, more permanent repercussions for one's actions, in an attempt to imbue ambivalence in the players' minds.

Take the stylised gunship sequence from the first Modern Warfare, in which a countryside littered with numerous tanks (and crucially ground troops) are decimated by your oversized weaponry. If directly preceding this you had witnessed - first hand - the final, harrowing moments of a civilian caught in the fire, how significantly might this alter your approach to the aforementioned sequence?

Whilst I appreciate the medium is one of entertainment, can we continue to - as the Trigger Happy slogan remarks - shoot first, ask questions later? Given the astonishing level of graphical mimicry now possible, I don't think so. Consider the words of Bob Dylan's disaffected young soldier, John Brown: "...the thing that scared me most... was when my enemy came close... and I saw that his face looked just like mine." As Heavy Rain's facial animations so aptly demonstrate, the disparity between reality and videogames is lessening. How can anyone still say "it's only a game"?

Lest we become apathetic towards killing countless fellow humans, virtual or not, Modern Warfare 2, and all other 'war simulators' like it, must address every aspect of war, and in a manner befitting the most serious of subjects.

Matthew Alexander

Amen, brother, amen.

I wonder if this 'Matthew Alexander' is the same guy who wrote this article:

I'm Still Tortured by what I saw in Iraq - Matthew Alexander

I can scan the page for anyone who wants it.
Infowars Wiki - Help make this become the official wiki of Infowars.com - contribute!

Offline Outer Haven

Re: Videogamer wakes up to Call Of Duty Modern Warfare's desensitization
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 01:28:42 PM »
Yes, a lot of video games -- especially the FPS and other action games -- can drastically desensythise (young) people in terms of violence and gore (I can attest that personally). I believe this is done purposefully. It's a fact most video game producing companies are controlled by the NWO (there is a series of videos on YT exposing the rampant Illuminati symbolism in video games; look for the user named '1killuminati').

But most people won't for a moment admit they are being programmed, or even question the morality of this cult of violence.

I have been playing video games for a long time, but only recently I realised how it can alter one's mind... I'm now interested in video games for multiplayer only (except that I'm interested in the story of the Metal Gear Solid saga).
"If this is the only way, we have no choice but to proceed. What is there to vacillate about?"

Offline _CREATIONIST_

• 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 02:33:35 PM »
I have both call of duty 4 and call of duty world at war. Both are fun games. I'm a big fan of both. I'll probably end up getting the new Call of Duty regardless. I'm a huge videogamer.
" In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength." - General Robert E. Lee

Offline aerborne

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 03:04:09 PM »
Yes, a lot of video games -- especially the FPS and other action games -- can drastically desensythise (young) people in terms of violence and gore (I can attest that personally). I believe this is done purposefully. It's a fact most video game producing companies are controlled by the NWO (there is a series of videos on YT exposing the rampant Illuminati symbolism in video games; look for the user named '1killuminati').

But most people won't for a moment admit they are being programmed, or even question the morality of this cult of violence.

I have been playing video games for a long time, but only recently I realised how it can alter one's mind... I'm now interested in video games for multiplayer only (except that I'm interested in the story of the Metal Gear Solid saga).

On your Suggestion i watched his videos on video games they're really bad. I don't know that he played any of those games. He mentioned Deus Ex and showed dialog of 2 bad guys from a cutscene. The whole game MENTIONED the illuminati multiple times, as well as MJ12 and other organizations, they were the core of the game and the central enemy. The whole game, was about the illuminati, nanobots, false flag terrorism. The Hero in the game (one of their elite new next generation of agents) becomes aware of this and makes the concious decision to reject and destroy the new world order the illuminati wish to build.

Assassin's creed it mentions was very similar the images at the end of the game were there to reveal who the enemy was and that they've been around since the time period the story took place!

Offline Outer Haven

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 03:23:49 PM »
On your Suggestion i watched his videos on video games they're really bad. I don't know that he played any of those games. He mentioned Deus Ex and showed dialog of 2 bad guys from a cutscene. The whole game MENTIONED the illuminati multiple times, as well as MJ12 and other organizations, they were the core of the game and the central enemy. The whole game, was about the illuminati, nanobots, false flag terrorism. The Hero in the game (one of their elite new next generation of agents) becomes aware of this and makes the concious decision to reject and destroy the new world order the illuminati wish to build.

Assassin's creed it mentions was very similar the images at the end of the game were there to reveal who the enemy was and that they've been around since the time period the story took place!

Uh, you may be right... But, while at it, I recommend seeing his videos about Hollywood movies and actors -- they're excellent! And don't you tell me Hollywood is anti-NWO!!
"If this is the only way, we have no choice but to proceed. What is there to vacillate about?"

Mike Philbin

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 03:26:54 PM »
this is the ONLY place where super-realitistically-rendered videogames are going:

CLOSE RANGE - real video game news
http://mikephilbin.blogspot.com/2009/08/close-range-real-video-game-news.html

I have both call of duty 4 and call of duty world at war. Both are fun games. I'm a big fan of both. I'll probably end up getting the new Call of Duty regardless. I'm a huge videogamer.

Offline squarepusher

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 03:33:12 PM »
this is the ONLY place where super-realitistically-rendered videogames are going:

CLOSE RANGE - real video game news
http://mikephilbin.blogspot.com/2009/08/close-range-real-video-game-news.html

That videogame has been done before... it's called Soldier of Fortune, and while it's your average FPS the emphasis really is on blowing someone's head off or seeing which body parts you can decapitate due to the engine's unique way of dismembering bodies...

Infowars Wiki - Help make this become the official wiki of Infowars.com - contribute!

Offline Mithridates

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 04:11:05 PM »
Meh FPSes are overrated anyways, I prefer strategy games and simulation games personally as well as roleplaying games. Mostly classic games.

Mike Philbin

desensitize our kids at your peril aka remember Rwanda.
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 04:16:08 PM »
it's not the clever decapitation engine I was highlighting but the BANALITY of modern corporate entertainment - but maybe you'all ain't gonn' git it?

I mean, it's not even like shooting a f**king gun ... it's just anodine and spineless. It's not GAMES, and it's CERTAINLY not something our f**king kids should be being encouraged to play by TV/magazine advertising.

Desensitize our kids at your peril aka remember Rwanda.

That videogame has been done before... it's called Soldier of Fortune..

Offline squarepusher

Re: desensitize our kids at your peril aka remember Rwanda.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 04:20:16 PM »
it's not the clever decapitation engine I was highlighting but the BANALITY of modern corporate entertainment - but maybe you'all ain't gonn' git it?

I mean, it's not even like shooting a f**king gun ... it's just anodine and spineless. It's not GAMES, and it's CERTAINLY not something our f**king kids should be being encouraged to play by TV/magazine advertising.

Desensitize our kids at your peril aka remember Rwanda.

Yeah I get what you're saying - perhaps you're misunderstanding me. The reason why I brought it up is to show just how far along the road we've gone already - to the point where satire has nothing to work with, to put it mildly. Now, that Soldier of Fortune game was running on an (by today's standards) extremely outdated game engine - so the people you're blowing up obviously no longer look like real representations of humans.

But the latest war FPSes scare me a bit - they're so realistic and the amount of propaganda is so thick that it's really becoming hard to see this as anything other than an army recruiting tool. And then you have developers like Pandemic - which made the Mercenaries games - which have admitted ties with the US military.

In one of Anti_Illuminati's posts, they use a modified Wii balance board for the purpose of tracking and identifying you by way of your weight (BMI index), for one. It's pretty sick how the videogame industry is working right along with this whole post-9/11 surveillance complex and the military industrial complex - not to mention Project Natal, which is basically the airport's body-scan device turned into an 'entertainment' product.

Offline Mithridates

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 04:30:35 PM »
Well the free market extends to games as well, where there is demand, there is supply.

There is a reason why there is a ratings board, kids should not be playing games like this.

Personally I find games like Call of Duty and Halo rather boring. They are mindless fragfests. If I play an FPS I prefer games that make me think either storywise(Bioshock, Dues Ex, System Shock) or tactically(Operation Flashpoint, Arma2, Red Orchistra)

Offline Overcast

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 04:34:26 PM »
Meh FPSes are overrated anyways, I prefer strategy games and simulation games personally as well as roleplaying games. Mostly classic games.

I'm with you there.
And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

Offline squarepusher

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 04:39:35 PM »
Well the free market extends to games as well, where there is demand, there is supply.

There is a reason why there is a ratings board, kids should not be playing games like this.

But the point is that stuff like Call of Duty 4 not only desensitizes kids - it desensitizes young adults / adults as well. And the same goes for most of the movies out there like Saw - I'm willing to take the good with the bad with some games, but there's no denying that entertainment is not simply entertainment for entertainment's sake - it comes pre-packaged with value- and moral-changing indoctrination messages.

Alan Watt bases his entire show around that very premise - and he makes a convincing argument that through entertainment, the elite's plan is made into reality - because people kind of gradually come to accept the 'science-fiction' stuff they introduce into these movies/games/books that ten or fifteen years down the line are actually a fact of daily life. A brilliant example of something like that coming into fruition right now is Minority Report - released back in 2001/2002, and now you hear them actually proposing to implement most of the stuff seen in that movie - the concept of pre-crime.

Offline Mithridates

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 04:45:19 PM »
But the point is that stuff like Call of Duty not only desensitizes kids - it desensitizes young adults / adults as well. And the same goes for most of the movies out there like Saw - I'm willing to take the good with the bad with some games, but there's no denying that entertainment is not simply entertainment for entertainment's sake - it comes pre-packaged with value- and moral-changing indoctrination messages.

Alan Watt bases his entire show around that very premise - and he makes a convincing argument that through entertainment, the elite's plan is made into reality - because people kind of gradually come to accept the 'science-fiction' stuff they introduce into these movies/games/books that ten or fifteen years down the line are actually a fact of daily life. A brilliant example of something like that coming into fruition right now is Minority Report - released back in 2001/2002, and now you hear them actually proposing to implement most of the stuff seen in that movie - the concept of pre-crime.

I think with time you will see the decline of FPSes, like most dominate videogame genre's, they don't last forever. Other previous dominite video game genre's are Platformers and arcade games.

However you make a fair point on gradualization

Mike Philbin

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 04:49:23 PM »
and it's such a pity because TECHNOLOGY SHOULD HELP MANKIND ENJOY HIS LIFE MORE not enslave him and waste his time like computers do. Damn, the whole world's so ass-backwards sometimes. I want total immersion in the human entity. But stupid fascist bastards are making me fight it. I don't even have a mobile phone because of all the crap that comes with it. You know they still haven't fully revealed not only the CANCER implications of those tracking devices but also the VIRUS TRANSMISSION potential of them - it is just DNA alteration via waveform (there'll be some super secret papers on this, guaranteed).

:)

Yeah I get what you're saying ...

Offline _CREATIONIST_

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 04:49:47 PM »
That videogame has been done before... it's called Soldier of Fortune, and while it's your average FPS the emphasis really is on blowing someone's head off or seeing which body parts you can decapitate due to the engine's unique way of dismembering bodies...

[ig width=1000 height=750]http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/12/others/headshot_1024.jpg[/img]

[ig]http://ahkong.net/images/sof3/07jan08/06-sof3-m2-a.jpg[/img]

[mg width=1000 height=750]http://www.mobygames.com/images/i/30/04/256104.jpeg[/img]

You can tell easily that is an old game because those graphics are dated and horrible. I've seen much better graphics on games nowdays.
" In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength." - General Robert E. Lee

Offline _CREATIONIST_

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 04:52:48 PM »
Yeah I get what you're saying - perhaps you're misunderstanding me. The reason why I brought it up is to show just how far along the road we've gone already - to the point where satire has nothing to work with, to put it mildly. Now, that Soldier of Fortune game was running on an (by today's standards) extremely outdated game engine - so the people you're blowing up obviously no longer look like real representations of humans.

But the latest war FPSes scare me a bit - they're so realistic and the amount of propaganda is so thick that it's really becoming hard to see this as anything other than an army recruiting tool. And then you have developers like Pandemic - which made the Mercenaries games - which have admitted ties with the US military.

In one of Anti_Illuminati's posts, they use a modified Wii balance board for the purpose of tracking and identifying you by way of your weight (BMI index), for one. It's pretty sick how the videogame industry is working right along with this whole post-9/11 surveillance complex and the military industrial complex - not to mention Project Natal, which is basically the airport's body-scan device turned into an 'entertainment' product.

I love mercenaries. Both games are fun. Their lastest one is Red Faction: Guerilla and I had a blast playing that. When I play video games, I do so to get away and turn off my brain. It's my distraction because I cant stand watching TV.

Offline Mithridates

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 04:54:36 PM »
You can tell easily that is an old game because those graphics are dated and horrible. I've seen much better graphics on games nowdays.

Well obviously, Soldier of Fortune was kind of notorious back in early 2000 for its gore. It's pretty irrelevant now adays. Really the only gore game I've seen lately is the new Wolverine game.

I love mercenaries. Both games are fun. Their lastest one is Red Faction: Guerilla and I had a blast playing that. When I play video games, I do so to get away and turn off my brain. It's my distraction because I cant stand watching TV.

Mercenaries 1 was a decent game. The story sucked for the most part, but the destruction aspect was pretty neat for a game at the time. Mercenaries 2 I never played, but the story didn't seem that good, evil Venezuela, evil Oil Company, etc.

Red Faction Guerrilla was a fun game gameplay wise. But the story sucked and was hardly there.

Offline squarepusher

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 04:57:52 PM »

But the point is - a game where the main focus of the advertising was centred around how you could blow chunks out of a human being's face - that game has already been made back in 2000; and the sequel was released somewhere in 2002/2003 if I remember correctly. And there was another sequel after that.

So that Onion video is kinda obsolete; these games already exist - and yeah there's more to them than simply shooting someone in the face - you have to walk, jump and gather keycards as well, but really, the game's 'raison d'etre' is the violence aspect of it - that's why it sold so much.

With regards to Alex commenting on Grand Theft Auto and how you were rewarded for killing hookers - actually, I take it the game designers did not really go out of their way to make it that way. You have to see it in this context: the game engine allows you to 'kill' any pedestrian, be it an obnoxious gang punk who tries to mug you or a hooker who has just finished with you. The only difference in this case is that the money she obtained from you is lying on the floor next to her dead body for you to collect.

But there's no real 'mission' for you to complete that involves killing hookers - that's a gross mischaracterization. Let's just say the game 'allows' you to act it out if you want to - but in no way is it either 'encouraged', 'promoted' or 'required'.

Still, Grand Theft Auto 4 was a very good expose of the American 'dream' - and it featured some really biting satire and social critique. There was even a 'New World Order' aspect to it - at one point you visited a 'truther's home', you started up his computer and you were presented with an 'Above Top Secret' website - and you could read a mail sent by one of his friends that told him: "Dude, there is no poison in the water. Nobody is trying to kill you. You're being paranoid". Which of course he wasn't, as one of your missions has you killing the guy for some Russian bloke.

In that game, you also hear a vague reference to water fluoridation - Roman wakes up with a jolly good feeling in the morning, and tells Nico (the protagonist): 'You know, my house was just burned down yesterday, yet today I feel so happy and jolly. I think it's something they put in the water'. Nico also comments on the bovine-growth hormones in the McDonalds burgers (well, he doesn't mention the specific term, but it's pretty clear what he's talking about)

Offline Mithridates

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 05:00:28 PM »
The Grand Theft Auto games have been pretty good social commentaries since Vice City. I haven't played them a whole lot, but it's a interesting aspect that a lot of people ignore.

Soldier of Fortune never really got that good of reviews either, mostly just the shock factor sold it.

Offline Mithridates

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 05:15:42 PM »
You know, I should really post on the OP then just going off on my own tangent. I agree 100% with the guy quoted by the OP.

One of the things that bothers me the most about FPSes is the fact that no one ever surrenders. Everyone is always running at you and fighting to the death. In the rare scripted scene where a enemy surrenders to you, it usually turns into him surrendering and then pulling out a gun at the last minute. I also hate how, especially in WW2 shooters, the Americans/Allies all have ruggedly good looks and are saving the day. But the enemies always are ugly as sin and mean looking. I really wouldn't mind a FPS that shows both sides of a conflict.
One of my favorite games that did this was Suikoden 3, while not an FPS, but an RPG. Its storytelling was brilliant and it showed that there really are no good or bad guys in war. And if anything the bad guys are the men behind the scenes controlling the puppets.

Offline Outer Haven

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 05:17:56 PM »
The Grand Theft Auto games have been pretty good social commentaries since Vice City. I haven't played them a whole lot, but it's a interesting aspect that a lot of people ignore.
But don't you think the GTA games are very powefully pushing this violence agenda?

Offline Mithridates

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 05:25:12 PM »
But don't you think the GTA games are very powefully pushing this violence agenda?

Possibly, however they never really reward you for killing innocents contrary to popular belief. Also the people themselves are so overplayed and caricatured that they really don't represent people at all, look at that as you will.
Also the whole violence aspect is, I believe, a clever disguise for satire along with the rest of the game. While some mindless meathead might think that he's just slaughtering people, in reality I think the game is making fun of him in a way. Think of it as Swift in Video Game Form.

Offline Joseon

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 11:16:24 PM »
the topic thread is about desensitization of young adults via video games. Let's not debate what shooting game is better than the other. It's either,

1. Completely trivial information  that no one on Prisonplanet cares about.

2. Or intentional misdirection.

Yes, there is the first amendment, but hijacking a thread is still an impolite maneuvre.
http://www.H20labs.com
http://www.Mercola.com/article/mercury/mercury_elimination.htm

Drink distilled water for Pure Health:

Detox with cilantro:

Omura determined that cilantro could mobilize mercury and other toxic metals rapidly from the CNS.96 97

Spread the Word.

Offline Unintelligable Name

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 01:07:26 AM »
A well written letter indeed, and even I -- a player of countless FPS games -- find Soldier of Fortune to be disgustingly brutal.

FPS Horror is a new genre emerging that really takes the cake for "WTF?"

Games like Killing Floor, Jericho, etc.

Offline wakingup72

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 01:20:47 AM »
VIDEO VILLAINS COME TO LIFE
COPS: GTA4 INSPIRED CRIME SPREE
By KIERAN CROWLEY
Last Updated: 6:11 PM, June 27, 2008
Posted: 4:30 PM, June 26, 2008

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/regional/video_villains_come_to_life_yW41aKgLZxHp40VADR8kEI

A gang of six teens decided to take Grand Theft Auto IV from the television screens to the streets of Long Island, with a two-hour crime spree meant to copy the game's violent hero, cops said.

The game-crazed youth's real-life robbery romp featured such staples of the mega-popular game as a mugging, several break-ins and an attempted car-jacking at an intersection in tony Garden City, police said. "They decided they were going to go out to commit robberies and emulate the [lead] character Nico Belic in the particularly violent video game Grand Theft Auto,' said Nassau County Police Detective Lt. Raymond Cote. "These teens have difficulty separating fact from fiction, fantasy from reality . . . It was quite alarming.'

Offline Unintelligable Name

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 03:33:45 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcqOgnQyXp4

He plays GTA.... "I wanted to do hoodrat stuff with my friend."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN5EJDa8DPw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiEdG-wTPBw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaOtGR04918

I think that GTA3 and all the games in the series after that are some of the worst games ever made. I just laugh at people who tell me how great they are.

Offline Bowtiedaddy

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 04:03:40 AM »

Soldier of Fortune never really got that good of reviews either, mostly just the shock factor sold it.

I was about to say that. I DO understand the Pentagon involvement with SOME video games. I enjoy playing a game here or there... usually an RTS game (because I'm interested in military strategy), or a satirical game, such as Grand Theft Auto or Postal. They are very tongue in cheek, and not all that realistic. That's not really the point of games like that.

Where I draw the line is in such a piece of filth as the new CoD Modern Warfare type of game. It's morally reprehensible to be fantasizing about the mass killing for profit being unleashed on the world today. CoD Modern Warfare doesn't entertain me, it just makes me angry, and morally offends me (and believe me, I'm very hard to offend).

I'm surprised people don't spot the moral difference between a title such as "Grand Theft Auto" and CoD Modern Warfare. The former is meant to criticize, and satirize the actions that take place in the game, while CoD stands to encourage and glorify it.

Why do you think there are no :Call Of Duty inspired shootings" being thrown up in the media? Why do you think Hillary Clinton said that "Grand Theft Auto" was the worst threat to youth? It's because Grand Theft Auto, isn't the same thing at all. If anything, it's laughing at a violent mindset, and of course, it does nothing but lampoon mainstream media conditioning and political tomfoolery. I don't agree with every single premise, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Offline phosphene

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 04:26:57 AM »
indeed, participating in door-to-door operations in the suburbs gives ya a very creepy feeling while playing.

But, IMO, the shooter video games are just futuristic shooting galleries. When gramps was a kid, they shot pop-up ducks on rows at the fair with a BB gun. These days, ya sit on the couch and play on yer TV.
"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play."--Joshua

Offline squarepusher

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 04:59:31 AM »
I was about to say that. I DO understand the Pentagon involvement with SOME video games. I enjoy playing a game here or there... usually an RTS game (because I'm interested in military strategy), or a satirical game, such as Grand Theft Auto or Postal. They are very tongue in cheek, and not all that realistic. That's not really the point of games like that.

Where I draw the line is in such a piece of filth as the new CoD Modern Warfare type of game. It's morally reprehensible to be fantasizing about the mass killing for profit being unleashed on the world today. CoD Modern Warfare doesn't entertain me, it just makes me angry, and morally offends me (and believe me, I'm very hard to offend).

I'm surprised people don't spot the moral difference between a title such as "Grand Theft Auto" and CoD Modern Warfare. The former is meant to criticize, and satirize the actions that take place in the game, while CoD stands to encourage and glorify it.

Why do you think there are no :Call Of Duty inspired shootings" being thrown up in the media? Why do you think Hillary Clinton said that "Grand Theft Auto" was the worst threat to youth? It's because Grand Theft Auto, isn't the same thing at all. If anything, it's laughing at a violent mindset, and of course, it does nothing but lampoon mainstream media conditioning and political tomfoolery. I don't agree with every single premise, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

There might be something to this. I also noticed how GTA4 made mincemeat of the 'American Dream' and all the mythological bullshit that the neocons and the regime before it introduced. To see that all being dumbed down in the media to 'oh you can screw hookers and kill them and run off with the money' is frankly a disgrace. Even Alex is guilty of this numerous times and he throws out the same stale talking point time and time again: "Oh you can have sex with a hooker and you have to kill them and take your money".

HEY ALEX - IF YOU WOULD ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME FOR ONCE, YOU'D FIND THAT IS NOT EVEN A MISSION!!!!! HELL, IT'S NOT EVEN SOMETHING THE PROGRAMMERS - WILLINGLY - BUILT IN!!!! IT'S JUST THE ENGINE ALLOWING YOU TO DO IT.

Yes, you having sex with the hooker was programmed in - but the part about you stepping outside your car and beating them to death isn't. What, they need to 'program that out' of the engine or disallow you from doing that? A Japanese-produced videogame would have done it that way, but I don't think UK and US developers really believe in putting up 'invisible walls' since it detracts from the suspension of disbelief.

Mike Philbin

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 04:36:41 PM »
GAME THEORY runs the corporate world...

Here's my CES 2010 Project Natal update - to put it mildly, I'm not happy none of the mainstream media hasn't picked up on Microsoft's obvious TYRANNY ACES hand (captive audience, about to be regulated)

Sheesh!

CES 2010 - Project Natal update
http://mikephilbin.blogspot.com/2010/01/ces-2010-project-natal-update.html

Mike Philbin

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 06:31:45 AM »
jeremystalked1,

you really need to READ this thread - CLOSE RANGE has already been covered.
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=139891.msg843285#msg843285

:)

Offline Outer Haven

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 10:05:48 AM »
BUMP.