BEWARE OF RANDOM LINKS: Protect Your IP

Author Topic: BEWARE OF RANDOM LINKS: Protect Your IP  (Read 38864 times)

Offline Femacamper

• TRIUMPHANT TRUMP!
    • TRUNEWS
Re: BEWARE OF RANDOM LINKS: Protect Your IP
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2008, 02:56:09 PM »
This is why it's a good idea to use Opera or Firefox web browsers and make a habit of Clearing your Private Data (easily done from tools menu in both browsers) at regular intervals. IE 7 and 8 Beta have had a major security vulnerability detected recently, I never use IE Explorer for everyday browsing .. I only keep it to check how websites I'm building look in IE Explorer.
Also check out CCleaner (formerly Crap Cleaner) it has a straightforward interface for deleting all temporary junk from your computer.

EDIT: Firefox with the  "NoScript" plugin installed is a good precaution

Good idea. I need to reinstall that one on the old computer at home.

Offline oshea.declan

• Infowars Ireland
Google Results without Google retaining Info and IP address
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2009, 12:04:53 PM »
http://scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm

There are two reasons why an ad-free scraper of Google's main search results is important. One reason is personal, and the other is political.

On a personal level, your support for Scroogle says that search engines should not be tracking you and retaining this information indefinitely. Not only does Google scrape much of the web, but they keep records of who searches for what. If information about your searching is accessible by cookie ID or by your IP address, it is subject to subpoena. This is a violation of your privacy. Someday Google's data retention practices will be regulated, because Google is too arrogant to do the right thing voluntarily. In the meantime, you should not be leaving your fingerprints in Google's databases.

There are other proxies that can protect your privacy on the web. Almost all are general-purpose proxies that cloak all of your web activity behind an IP address that is not easily traced to your service provider. One is Anonymizer.com. A possible problem with this one is that the founder, Lance Cottrell, has connections with the FBI and the Voice of America. It also costs money for a reasonable level of service. Another is Tor, which is much more secure. But it is also slow, because Tor is a complicated system that needs networks of volunteers to run server software. Juvenile surfers from video pirates to rogue Wikipedia editors tend to clog free services such as Tor, which slows them down even more.

Since Scroogle does just one thing, it is fairly fast and simple. But because it does only one thing, it is vulnerable to action by Google. They could block our IP address, which would require that we relay requests to other servers that are more difficult for them to locate. They could also centralize their system more in order to better detect and throttle any outside address that does too many searches per minute. Finally, they could make minor changes in their output format on a regular basis, which would break our scraper and require frequent reprogramming. Any of the above might quickly get too complex and expensive for us, and that would be the end of Scroogle.

One action that Google is less likely to take is to serve Scroogle with a cease and desist letter. This introduces the second reason why Scroogle deserves support. As a nonprofit with a history of activism on privacy issues, it would be difficult for Google to sue us on the grounds that their search results and rankings are copyrighted. The main reason for this is that we are noncommercial. None of our sites has ever carried ads, we have zero employees, and our gross annual income is about $10,000. Our lack of commercial intent strengthens our claim that we have the right to scrape Google. It's obvious that we are doing it in the public interest.

Showing Google's results without their ads is another political statement. About 99 percent of Google's total revenue comes from ads, and these are ruining the web. Thousands of "Made for AdSense" domains are spewing garbage. Since these sites need content to trigger Google's ads, they steal it by scraping legitimate sites, or generate their own by purchasing junk from bulk writers. Meanwhile, click fraud is rampant. Zombie botnets are used to click on ads. If you cannot afford to buy a botnet from some shady character, then you can contract with someone in a country where labor is cheap. They will hire people to click on ads all day at below-minimum wage.

It's time to stop pretending that Google's revenue model is anything more than a temporary bubble, and it's time for Google to start developing more socially-responsible sources of income. Showing Google's results without the ads amounts to more public-interest advocacy. It says that the web spam situation is intolerable.

We remain vulnerable to blocking, throttling, or breaking by Google, which unfortunately is legal if they decide to stop us. But the longer Scroogle exists and the more our traffic grows, the stronger our statements become. We cannot survive many more months without at least one more server, even if Google leaves us alone. While we could apply for foundation grants, our experience tells us that foundations are about ten years behind on Internet and other high-tech issues. Any funding proposals we send out would strike them as bizarre and incomprehensible. It's not worth our time to send out proposals to foundations.

That leaves us asking lots of Scroogle users for small contributions. Searchers who prefer Scroogle are making a unique statement about important issues. Nothing else we know of is making the same points as effectively.

http://scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm

Offline btacel

• True Democracy is king!
    • U.S.W.G.O.
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2009, 06:50:36 PM »
If you really want to be safe from hackers you can try TOR, JAP, ninjaproxy SSL, or liberty bell SSL.

Thats my ideas on keeping the feds out of your IP Address, I also recommend you keep finding ways to changing ur MAC Address, if your ISP allows it because of keeping the government from tracking you based on IP or MAC address.

If it's controlled by the ISP, just call them and tell them you bought a new router and give them the new MAC Address, that will at least make it way harder to be tracked online :)

Also firefox has an extension I think called NoScript where you can block scripts and decide on what sites to allow them.
Admin of U.S.W.G.O.

Offline leverForTruth

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2009, 06:55:32 PM »
Anyone got a free program to protect?
Lever

Offline btacel

• U.S.W.G.O.
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2009, 06:57:58 PM »
Anyone got a free program to protect?

Theres a freeware called Sygate personal Firewall
Theres also CCleaner for tracks, can even clean by NSA stanards and I think possibly gutmann method.
I like to use Eraser, you can erase the free space of your computer, it's open source too.
Also theres Avast home edition thats free once you register.
Admin of U.S.W.G.O.

Offline leverForTruth

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 06:58:54 PM »
Thanks
Lever

Offline btacel

• U.S.W.G.O.
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2009, 09:41:17 PM »
Thanks

Also from http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=84408.0

I also recommend using FreeOTFE and TrueCrypt. They are both free and have superior encryption. Since they are open source you can even check for backdoors, and so open source encryption is the safest encryption software around.

FreeOTFE allows custom SALT and key iterations change so even if a law forced you to giveup ur password they still can't get in without the right key iterations and SALT values. FreeOTFE can go up to 1024 bits encryption while TrueCrypt has a cascading 768bit encryption using 3 encryption methods Serpent, AES, and I believe twofish.
Admin of U.S.W.G.O.

Offline Gandalf

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2009, 11:19:01 PM »
As you may be aware of, there are many scammers out there who are ready to bait your ip address. With this they can track you, find out your name, address, and personal information through a search engine.

Test your defenses with Shields Up!

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

No offence but that's not how it works.  When you say "bait your IP address" I don't get what you mean.  If you type in a URL in your browser the server on the other end knows your IP address.  They may be able to discover who you are but it would require some method of associating your IP address with your personal infomation at some point (maybe on another site), and then having that site look up your IP address in some kind of database to get your personal information again.  When you click on a page from this forum your browser sends a referrer telling the site you are connecting to the page that had the link to their site.  They will know that you were surfing on prisonplanet.com forums, but they can't determine your user name on here.  If you are scared, you can turn off referrer logging or use an anonymous proxy to connect to the Internet.  Or use a non NSA controlled ISP lets your IP address change frequently.

I guess my point is, aside from the NSA, knowing someone's IP address doesn't really let you get any information about them other than the ISP they use, unless you typed your personal information in to a site and they put you in some kind of database used by these people in which case they could get your personal information back again whenever you go on one of "their" sites which use the database but it wouldn't be that reliable as IP addresses often change  The way it works is your ISP account information has your social security number on it and when the NSA wants to know something about you they are just linked right up to your ISP if you are on a major one like Comcast they just have to type in your name to see all the sites you visit.

Offline gunDriller

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2009, 08:34:56 PM »
If I was hired by the government to manage 9-11 damage control & web discussion, one of the things I would do is post links to articles on forums where intelligent conversation is taking place.  And some of those links would be "toxic" - taking you to websites that install spyware, viruses, etc. on your computer.

This is "basic computing" - I don't think I'm giving any government watchdogs any ideas they didn't have.  What I'm trying to say is, BE CAREFUL when visiting websites linked to.  I think it is prudent to have a dedicated computer for web-surfing - so that if it is compromised, it doesn't damage the workstation you use for your own work.

I had this happen once with a website linked to from Carolyn Baker's website.
http://www.carolynbaker.net/

She was a writer for Michael Ruppert, and is one of the few college professors in the United States who actually taught a MIHOP version of 9-11 to her students.

As an aside, as one of her students observed, "if my government did 9-11, then I don't have a government."

Anyway, around July 4, 2007, there were some good articles on her website, and I forwarded them to a woman I was emailing with.  Well, it turned out that one of those links was toxic - it installed a virus or spyware on my computer, which was easy for me to deal with.  However, the woman I forwarded it to wasn't very computer literate, got really upset, blamed it on me, and told me never to email her again.

As a result, a wedge was driven between myself and another student of American history.  Actually, a woman that was responsible for leading a resolution to impeach George Bush in her town, someone I cared about.

Cliff notes - "Shields UP, Scotty !" when you're using the Internet & especially when you're using websites that corporate America/ the perpetrators of 9-11/ etc. would like to see shut down.
http://theinfounderground.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5367

Cheney managed the War Games.  Israel did the Demolitions.

http://iamthewitness.com/

Offline Southern Patriot

• Inter arma enim silent leges
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2009, 10:38:18 PM »
 There is no evidence whatsoever that my computer exists. That is awesome. Thanks for posting the site.

Offline Gandalf

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2009, 05:11:49 AM »
Attempts to make windows secure cost a lot of time effort and money.
And off the shelf software stops working on windows once you lock everything down, so then you end up having more working software on linux anyway.

Offline RickDaniels

• YAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2009, 10:58:01 AM »
well that was interesting. 
I have to tip my hat to the donut shop down the street for
providing me we free internet via their unsecured router.

Rick®
“As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say, we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don’t know we don’t know.”  Donald Rumsfield

Rick®

Offline bobaGirl

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2009, 06:05:14 PM »
Is mozilla firefox one of the best for staying anonymous on the net? any better programs? ???
I once was peaceful...NOw I in Rage!-NHM

zafada

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2009, 06:09:07 PM »
Cool thing is is that I can change my IP whenever I want.  Gotta love routers!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2009-05-02 at 22:05:30

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

1 Ports Open
    0 Ports Closed
 1055 Ports Stealth
---------------------
 1056 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be CLOSED.

The port found to be OPEN was: 443

Other than what is listed above, all ports are STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
                   - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                   - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

SSL port is open because the website is viewed on this port.

I'll have to add this site to my bookmarks.  Cool stuff.

Offline chrsswtzr

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2009, 09:39:03 PM »
Very cool, thanks for the link! My laptop is secure apparently :)

zafada

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2009, 04:54:03 PM »
Is mozilla firefox one of the best for staying anonymous on the net? any better programs? ???

Firefox is definitely cool.  I stop using internet explorer because I have not had one crappy adware/spyware/virus since I started using it.

Hmm, maybe I should scan now....paranoid...

AntiNWO paddy

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2009, 10:48:59 AM »
hi im mac for ireland land of the green fighting evil global cabals for all creeds and colours

luckee1

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2009, 02:50:01 AM »
Thanks guys!

Offline Outer Haven

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2009, 07:35:26 AM »
A few days ago I noticed a certain folder with files that were very dear to me was suddenly gone. And I swear I did not delete it -- I mean, why would I do want to do that?!

Is there a possibility that somebody had hacked into my computer and deleted/stole it?
The choice is simple: either God or the world.

Rini200

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2009, 11:24:28 PM »
Thanks guys. My computer was secure but thank you for that test!!!!

Offline Shroom!

« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2010, 07:53:46 PM »
I got this:

Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

Sweet!

Offline Femacamper

• TRIUMPHANT TRUMP!
    • TRUNEWS
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2010, 11:19:24 AM »
A few days ago I noticed a certain folder with files that were very dear to me was suddenly gone. And I swear I did not delete it -- I mean, why would I do want to do that?!

Is there a possibility that somebody had hacked into my computer and deleted/stole it?

Anything's possible.

Maybe they were misplaced?

Offline Shroom!

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2010, 11:58:55 AM »

Did you Shift-Delete it by mistake maybe? I got into the habit of doing that and wiped a few files I didn't mean to before..

Offline wizardovid

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2010, 05:07:17 AM »
Other options include BSD, and i recomend using stand alone servers to hold your data, access by ssh sftp, using twofish, there is a reason twofish was not adopted by the NSA? I use cheap old pc's and run linux n bsd unix, all kernels compiled n all software compiled. As good as it gets in the secure world?
Read more, learn more, understand, dont use msoft novell corps spyware.
wiz

Offline wizardovid

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2010, 05:48:23 AM »
Also you should do a nmap -PU [youripaddress] (nmap -A [ipaddr]for all tcp s**t)
without brackets,search "man nmap" to see wot is udp scans recomended, grc
is only tcp, lots of other protocals too eg: arp (address resolution protocal)
More besides? Filter on an ethernet level, u can use acidbase for this, needs a recompile of
snort to enable mysql and snort inline, snort inline is the key, it can drop or attack offending
packets, very kool?
I have used this in bsd and linux, it works.
Use a php front end like base?
I had to recode some stuff for my needs but should work well
right out of the box.
china and korea ip blocks killed by ipfilter/iptables on my site here
http://error26.homeunix.com
Keepin the Faith Bro
wiz

Offline kita

• Action is the ONLY answer!
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2011, 08:05:18 AM »
As you may be aware of, there are many scammers out there who are ready to bait your ip address. With this they can track you, find out your name, address, and personal information through a search engine.

Test your defenses with Shields Up!

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Software.

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=216373.0
ONLY answer to God,for God is Good, honest and just.God is the one,we'll have to answer to one day for our actions in the here and now -DO NOT DOUBT IT!

Offline swain

« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »
hmm, imho there is no protection on the internet. Yes, of course, beware of random links, but to think that you can "hide" from TPTB? Highly unlikely. Yes you can get proxies and all that, but it's all ultimately an illusion of anonymity. Wanna find out? Go on the internet and do something that people have been getting arrested for lately and find out just how hidden you are.

We all know that the internet was a trickle down from defense. Why would TPTB unleash technology onto the public without contingencies and well thought out implementation? That just would not add up. And freedom of speech on the internet, as you know, is quickly dissipating.

I'm sure you have seen, as well as I, the recent arrests made for facebook posts, twitters, youtube postings, etc, indicating Big brother is already here. Nothing really to be bothered by, because big brother is looking for real threats, which almost none of us are, myself included, which is why I don't bother with "hiding".
Nothing I write has any relevance to anything and cannot be proven one way or another. If you're looking to point the finger, point it at AJ, it's his fault.