BEWARE OF RANDOM LINKS: Protect Your IP

Author Topic: BEWARE OF RANDOM LINKS: Protect Your IP  (Read 41589 times)

Offline Femacamper

• PUTIN HACKED MY MIND!
    • TRUNEWS
BEWARE OF RANDOM LINKS: Protect Your IP
« on: November 01, 2007, 11:44:56 AM »
As you may be aware of, there are many scammers out there who are ready to bait your ip address. With this they can track you, find out your name, address, and personal information through a search engine.

Test your defenses with Shields Up!

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Offline Kregener

Re: Protect Your IP
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 12:06:44 PM »
My machine smoked every test!

I am pleased.
Going to church does not make you a Christian any more than going to a hospital makes you a doctor.

Stop thinking in terms of left and right and start thinking in terms of right and wrong

Offline jreb

Re: BEWARE OF RANDOM LINKS: Protect Your IP
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 02:16:49 AM »
As you may be aware of, there are many scammers out there who are ready to bait your ip address. With this they can track you, find out your name, address, and personal information through a search engine.

Shields Up is ok for testing to see if you have any open ports, but beyond that, it's not of much use.  If you are serious about hiding your IP address/internet security, then you need to do more; how much more depends on how serious you are about security.

First, and you can do this regardless of what OS you use, get Tor & Privoxy, and configure your browser to use them.  Tor is what is referred to as an Onion router, and Privoxy is an http proxy, for winduhs they come bundled as a package. Just getting them is not enough though, you need to configure your browser to use them, and disable ALL ACTIVE CONTENT, and that means Java, Java-Script, Flash, and if you use IE, Active X.  A word on IE, it is nothing but a magnet for viruses, worms, trojans, and spyware/malware: get Firefox or Seamonkey, and use them instead of IE!

If you are really serious about internet security, then ditch winduhs, and get an open source OS (operating system), Linux, BSD (OpenBSD, FreeBSD, or NetBSD), or one of the other versions of *nix (if you can use winduhs,  then you can use Ubuntu Linux or Kubuntu Linux [Kubuntu more closely resembles winduhs] both of them have been dumbed down enough that you can do nearly anything you want by pointing and clicking with a mouse. Still though, you need to use Tor & Privoxy.

This is a very abbreviated post on this subject, but it at least points y'all in the right direction. Just do a little research on what I've posted, and you'll find a lot more that you can do to protect your privacy.

Deo Vindice!

JReb

PS: If you really want to get an idea of how much information you are leaking out to the internet go to: http://www.samair.ru/proxy/proxychecker/ and look at the results you get there. It is safe, I use it to check my browser settings, both on the browsers I use with Tor and Privoxy, and with those that I use insecurely (and yes, I do have a browser set up to use in an insecure mode because at times it is not necessary to use the extreme security that I usually use).

Offline Femacamper

• PUTIN HACKED MY MIND!
    • TRUNEWS
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 09:18:45 AM »
And may I add to that...encryption.

You can get hardware encrypted disks these days, as well you can encrypt normal disks (best to use open source) as well as point-to-point encryption on the network itself.

Offline symbiote_venom

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 04:41:31 PM »
Most people do not know, that alot of tor routes are run by government agencies.  Usually they are the end routes, meaning everything that passes in is encrypted, what goes out isn't, so they can still log and monitor everything...  While it will be harder to find out who originally sent the information, it is not worth the risk.

Encrypting your hard disks, while it might be overkill, still isn't a bad idea.  There is free encryption software at www.truecrypt.org.  You can encrypt flash drives, entire hard drives, or just create encrypted containers, which is basically all of your files encrypted into one.

As for people "baiting" your IP address, there is a 2% chance of someone profiling you based on it.  Most ISPs assign dynamic IP addresses, and most if not all legitimate sites will NOT reveal your IP publicly.  Phishing sites are a threat, I am not saying they aren't, however most will try to coax you into giving personal information, banking details, credit card information, your SSN, and whatnot.

Operating systems, well of course a Unix based OS will generally be more secure than Windows if you know how to properly secure it.  Though the same can be said for windows.  My suggestion would be to get a hardware firewall such as a router, and Kaspersky Internet Security.  Kaspersky has one of the highest detection rates for viruses in the industry, and the firewall is pretty decent.

Offline otero1

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 09:38:24 PM »
Thanks for this info. Does anyone here use Peer Guardian? I know there are more block lists than the default ones. I just can't seem to find any.

Offline jreb

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 10:45:55 PM »
Most people do not know, that alot of tor routes are run by government agencies.  Usually they are the end routes, meaning everything that passes in is encrypted, what goes out isn't, so they can still log and monitor everything...  While it will be harder to find out who originally sent the information, it is not worth the risk.

Yes it is true that an unknown number of exit nodes are run by any number of governments, however as long as you know that, and make sure that you don't transmit any personally identifiable information you are far more anonymous than you would be using no anonymising software.  Remember, you must use a http proxy such as privoxy as well as Tor in order to prevent your IP address from being discovered, and also disable ALL ACTIVE CONTENT.  Remember, your connection goes through three hops, your computer to the entry node, then to the next node, and finally to the exit node, and the nodes may be in three different countries in three different parts of the world, so unless someone is really serious about discovering who you are it's not going to be worth the trouble they would have to go to in order to discover who you are.  Another thing that increases your anonymity is the fact that during the load of a single web page it's very likely that Tor will switch circuts from node abc to node ghi. This behavior can be observed (at least if you use linux) if you use the Tork program which gives you a GUI for Tor.  For more information on Tor, and it's strengths and weaknesses go here: https://wiki.torproject.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#RemainingAttacks

Encrypting your hard disks, while it might be overkill, still isn't a bad idea.  There is free encryption software at www.truecrypt.org.  You can encrypt flash drives, entire hard drives, or just create encrypted containers, which is basically all of your files encrypted into one.

Encrypting your hard drive(s) is ok, and it will protect your disks should they be seized, and examined as long as you don't reveal your password for the encryption, but it will give you no protection while you are online, and as long as the encrypted disk is being used while online it gives you no protection from being hacked, and the data accessed.

As for people "baiting" your IP address, there is a 2% chance of someone profiling you based on it.  Most ISPs assign dynamic IP addresses, and most if not all legitimate sites will NOT reveal your IP publicly.  Phishing sites are a threat, I am not saying they aren't, however most will try to coax you into giving personal information, banking details, credit card information, your SSN, and whatnot.

Have you ever checked to see how often your IP address changes?  Unless you are on dialup it changes very rarely.  If you have a persistant connection such as dsl or cable then your IP will not change very often if at all.  Your IP is assigned dynamically by your ISP, and it works basically the same as DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol), in fact it's the same thing.  The IP you are assigned is given a lease (the time it's assigned to your computer), and your IP will not change during this time.  When the lease expires then it's automatically renewed, and most of the time when it's renewed you are assigned the same IP again.  Your IP address is the easiest way of tracking you while online so you need to protect it as well as other personal information.

Operating systems, well of course a Unix based OS will generally be more secure than Windows if you know how to properly secure it.  Though the same can be said for windows.  My suggestion would be to get a hardware firewall such as a router, and Kaspersky Internet Security.  Kaspersky has one of the highest detection rates for viruses in the industry, and the firewall is pretty decent.

A *nix system is always more secure than any winduhs box.  Of course you do have to learn how to secure it, but at least it can be made reasonably secure, which is not possible with winduhs.  That may sound like a rather strong statement, and perhaps it would be for someone who does not know much about winduhs, but I do know all too much about winduhs.  Before I learned to use *nix, I was a MCP (microshi*s certified professional), and was only one test away from MCSE (microshi*ts certified systems engineer).  I didn't bother going on to MCSE because at the time I was ready to take the final test, Sept. 2001, the bottom fell out of the economy right after 9/11.

Offline Femacamper

• PUTIN HACKED MY MIND!
    • TRUNEWS
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 10:05:15 PM »
Truecrypt (it's completely free) offers plausible deniability by allowing you multiple layers of hidden partitions.

Offline Infowarrior

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 10:29:59 PM »
There is a rather simple, although constrictive way of protecting your connection from random links.  It WORKS but I wouldn't recommend it if you are going to use your machine for any research of any kind.

It's simple.  Create a WHITElist.  Unlike a blacklist, which is a list of sites, or IPs that your computer does not have access to, a whitelist does just the opposite, giving you access ONLY to those sites, or IP addresses on the list.  Unless you give your computer access to the ads, you won't see them.  Unless you give your computer access to a particular search engine, you will not have access to it.  :)

Might I suggest keeping a local DNS cache on your machine as well, so you don't even have to open port 53 for name services?  Pre-resolving those sites and putting those in the allowable list might be a good idea...

And of course any OS not capable of doing this, and logging ALL attempts that are not on the whitelist, wouldn't be an OS I'd use.  All protocols, all ports are off limit unless you specifically allow them (and some need to be open to use your machine).

I know, it's draconian, but you might be surprised just what your machine tries to do without your knowledge.  Nothing short of a restrictive connection will protect your IP.

Offline jreb

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 09:04:34 AM »
Truecrypt (it's completely free) offers plausible deniability by allowing you multiple layers of hidden partitions.

I don't disagree with you one bit about truecrypt's abilities except for the fact that while the volume is mounted, and you are online, anyone that manages to hack your box will have access to the information in the truecrypt *mounted* volume.  Truecrypt is great against physical (seized hard drives) attacks against it (as long as you don't reveal your password/passphrase), but it will not prevent someone who hacks your box (and if you know anything at all, you know the NSA can hack your box w/o much trouble) from accessing the information in the mounted volume.  First and formost secure your box, then your connection to the internet as best you can, then go on about your business.  But, if you think you can do that with point and click winduhs, you are deceiving yourself.

Sic Simper Tyrannis!

JReb

Offline liko

• Freedom or Nothing!

Offline rawiron1

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 11:06:13 AM »
My U.S. Gov. computer passed all tests.  Tax payers should be pleased.

Now I need to test the home(boy) computer.

IT is probably calling DHS and FBI over all the pinging that I just had that Web site do.

Jason
Jason the Fed

Offline mr anderson

• WeAreChange Brisbane
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 07:35:34 AM »
Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet solicited or otherwise was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. The yuppies were right! lol

Hopefully the tweaking of stealthing ports hasn't affected the speed.
WeAreChange Brisbane
I hold personal views, beliefs and opinions that do not necessarily reflect the beliefs and opinions of WeAreChange Brisbane as a whole.

Our Bitcoin address: 1Fzb4bp48oMr7CFzT3SbkTzKpMSvWW1X1t

Offline otero1

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 12:38:43 AM »
GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2008-02-27 at 05:38:04

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
    0 Ports Closed
 1056 Ports Stealth
---------------------
 1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
                   - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                   - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

Attempting connection to your computer. . .
Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!
   Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.
   Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

Offline rea1001

• Delta Force Operations
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 12:01:02 AM »
Speaking of this subject, just as a warning to everyone, there is a user by the name of HAL9000 on the InfoWars Network that can be found here. http://social.infowars.com/profile.php?user=HAL9000

He likes leaving links that are suspicious, and he has been misbehaving as of late.
We are Recruiting for the elite Delta Force: http://deltaforceoperations.ning.com/

Offline greyswindir

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 11:49:12 PM »

Great thread guys! I guess it is a bad idea to use your name on any of the windows folders? You'd basically be giving away your anonymity! Windows sucks hard...I need to find another OS that will give me the same functionality without a steep learning curve. I've got a lot going on and trying to learn a new OS without a GUI would be kind of a PITA. Which OS would best meet my criteria?

Thanks.

Offline Femacamper

• PUTIN HACKED MY MIND!
    • TRUNEWS
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 12:17:49 AM »
Mac or Ubuntu is probably a safe bet.

Offline oshea.declan

• Infowars Ireland
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 12:59:21 AM »
Great thread guys! I guess it is a bad idea to use your name on any of the windows folders? You'd basically be giving away your anonymity! Windows sucks hard...I need to find another OS that will give me the same functionality without a steep learning curve. I've got a lot going on and trying to learn a new OS without a GUI would be kind of a PITA. Which OS would best meet my criteria?

Thanks.
The New Ubuntu really good 8.04 - Very little configuration to do after install compared to Linux 2-3 years ago.
If you do a new install of Ubuntu here are a few quick configuration tips:
In Firefox go to http://www.medibuntu.org and to "repository how to" on that page it will give a couple of commands to enter to add the medibuntu repository to your package-manager.You need to enter these commands in the "terminal" which is listed under the "accessories" sub-menu on the main Applications menu.Just copy commands from web-page and paste into terminal then hit enter.
After this type :" sudo apt-get install w32codecs libdvdcss2 mimms streamripper " (without quotations) This will give functionality to play DVD's and rip streams off the internet.
There is a great movie-player called totem in Ubuntu but I find that Mplayer works better for me especially playing videos on Firefox - It will play everything.Best thing is to go to add/remove which is last item on the Applications menu and look for mplayer and mplayer-mozilla, the Firefox plugin - you will need to remove the totem mozilla plugin for mplayer to work. You can do this in a terminal by typing "sudo apt-get remove totem-mozilla".(Totem plug-in works in Firefox but I find M-player plug-in starts quickly and plays everything)
In add/remove package manager you will see 6 or 7 entries for Gstreamer - Mark all of them for installation.
Most everything else is personal choice - you may want to install "chkrootkit" and/or "rkhunter" which are rootkit hunters which check for spyware, trojans and all exploits or unauthorised file changes on your system. You can install these by typing "sudo apt-get install chkrootkit rkhunter" in your terminal.Then to run root-kit hunter type "sudo rkhunter -c" this will check your whole system and for check root-kit type "sudo chkrootkit".
I almost forgot: find "ubuntu-restricted-extras" in package manager and install that too.
                                               Good Luck !

Offline greyswindir

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 05:58:59 PM »
Yikes! :o

That sounds like a big PITA!

I appreciate the effort on your part but I need something without a steep learning curve! Maybe it just sounds a lot more of a PITA then it really is?

There's got to be a good way to secure Windows? How would I go about finding out if someone has accessed my system via the web? I'm using a cheap router (Linksys...used to have a netgear...still do but it is in storage.) right now.

In other words how can you tell if you're being hacked by the government? There has got to be some way to find out or maybe there is a program that will give off an alert when someone is watching you/your system in real time?

Am I just fantasizing here or what?

Bob.

Offline oshea.declan

• Infowars Ireland
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 07:37:53 PM »
Yikes! :o

That sounds like a big PITA!

Alternate solution: Windows without Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player and Outlook Express. These are the biggest security risks
on windows. The following DVD is hosted on a torrent site. You will need to download this using a client such as utorrent.
I can vouch for this DVD it is quite safe to use and actually a work of genius by eXperience, the guy who created it.
The DVD is approx 3.9 GB but contains all you need for a fully functional Windows system.
1. Download DVD ISO Image file.
2.Burn it to a DVD.
3.Backup your computer or save all files you need to external drive or DVD's ..etc...
4.Boot your computer from DVD.
5.On Boot Screen choose Windows XP, Full version, without IE/WMP/OE, and with Driver - Packs.
Not only will it install Windows XP without IE/WMP/OE, it will Install Mozilla Firefox for your browser and Mozilla Thunderbird for your e-mail client.
For Multimedia functionality it also installs the K-Lite codec package.
Bonus - It contains most drivers to configure your hardware during set-up, it will configure the majority of wireless, graphics,network and sound cards ..etc.. so you don't have to go looking for drivers post-install.If you have any hardware such as a printer and USB devices have them connected to your computer during setup so drivers are installed for them.

Here is the link to torrent:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1329631

This DVD includes the following:

Windows 2000 Professional SP4 - 16 Different Installations

Windows XP Professional SP2 - 16 Different Installations

Windows Server 2003 R2 EE SP2 - 16 Different Installations

You can also choose the type of Windows installation:

Original

Full

Tiny

Micro

You also have the ability to create standalone ISO files of:

Any of the 48 included Windows installations

Make a rescue CD with Acronis, MiniPE, Hiren's

BootCD and Damn Small Linux.

For full information on the standalone ISO creation,

open the "Create An ISO" folder on the DVD.

Includes 174 Optional Programs:

The 174 programs cover the following 31 categories:

AntiVirus, Appearance, Audio, Browsers, Burning, Chat, Cleaners,

Codecs, Compression, Defrag, DVD+CD, Exploration, Firewall, Game,

Hex, Internet, Misc, Movie, Multimedia, Office, P2P, Picture,

Players, Programming, Recovery, Registry, Runtimes, Security,

System, Web, Windows.

Tired of public trackers with spyware/adware and malware, tired of slow speeds and torrents with no seeders...... if so come to seedmore.org, we have all the latest movies, apps and games and lots more.Signing up is quick and easy and youll find we are a friendly community with a slightly different look... [something different from other trackers] so come and see us... registrations are open so come on, what are you waiting for? .... "join the family"
Are you an experienced uploader, applications accepted. See forums

www.seedmore.org

see you all there

Offline oshea.declan

• Infowars Ireland
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 07:47:42 PM »

There's got to be a good way to secure Windows? How would I go about finding out if someone has accessed my system via the web? I'm using a cheap router (Linksys...used to have a netgear...still do but it is in storage.) right now.

1)Also in your web-browser type in http://192.168.1.1  in the address bar. You should now be on your Linksys Router Administration page.
You will be asked to log in and see a window to type a username and password.Leave the name blank and type admin into password.This is the default password.Go to the main Administration tab and change the default password from admin to something which is easy for you to remember but difficult for others to guess.

2) I recommend Comodo Firewall for windows. It is a free download and free to use. Type Comodo into google and you will find it.

Offline oshea.declan

• Infowars Ireland
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 10:53:30 PM »

In other words how can you tell if you're being hacked by the government? There has got to be some way to find out or maybe there is a program that will give off an alert when someone is watching you/your system in real time?

Am I just fantasizing here or what?

Bob.
Hacked by the Government - You can't stop it - The technology available, for example, to NSA or CIA is like a Mercedez car to our dinky toys - It's true that Microsoft have an NSA-KEY coded into the kernel since Windows '95 but don't feel too safe using any alternative either.To believe that your computer is secure from government snooping is just wishful thinking. I always recommend to self-employed accountants and Lawyers for example to have one stand-alone computer for clients personal data - Never connected to a network or internet and Running Linux - that's about as secure as you'll get. I do not even believe that a stand-alone computer is completely safe, especially running Apple or Microsoft OS's -

You should try to make the move to Linux if possible - After all with the Gate's funding eugenics and these NSA-KEYS in Windows - Now Vista designed primarily for Internet 2 or WWW2 - why support them ?

Try one of these: 1) LINUX MINT (based on Ubuntu but everything you need e.g; multimedia codecs are already installed).

2) SABAYON LINUX (a Gentoo based system with all you need already provided).

3) BLAG LINUX (based on Fedora 7 with all you need - however may not configure all laptop wireless - If you're using a Desktop PC and don't need wireless support I highly recommend this - Brixton Linux Activist Group).

Good Luck !  ;)

Offline Femacamper

• PUTIN HACKED MY MIND!
    • TRUNEWS
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 01:20:03 AM »

Offline industria

• industria
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 01:47:16 AM »
Great test, Fema.  Guess I am well configured! hehe  ;D

Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet solicited or otherwise was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

ALL PORTS: There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

SPAM: None received
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. - MLK

industria jewelry
on Etsy
on Trunkt

Offline liko

• Freedom or Nothing!
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 07:34:04 AM »
If your using vista try using this vista firewall control,You'll be surprised at what's contacting the web,if you don't like just turn it off.Its just a small thing you can do to stop things contacting the web.  http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html  Here's the intro -Protects your applications from undesirable network incoming and outgoing activity, controls applications internet access. Allows you to control personal information leakage via controlling application network traffic.

Manages and synchronizes port forwarding provided by external network connection (firewall/router) box with applications requirements and activity.

The gui looks like this                                        

Offline oshea.declan

• Infowars Ireland
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 11:15:20 PM »

http://www.majorgeeks.com/xpy_d4218.html

Small tool which disables the default threats of a Windows XP installation. Besides disabling Windows and some of its components to communicate with Microsoft servers, xpy improves privacy settings and your systems security.

Features:
- Disable Windows calling home
- Disable questionable services
- Disarm Internet Explorer
- Disarm Windows Media Player
- Remove Windows Messenger
- Improve privacy and security
- Improve performance

Though xpy is smaller than 100 kilobytes, it can close serious threats (i.e. DCOM) on long distance, where large service-packs can only protect you until a new security hole has been found.

shirteesdotnet

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 09:13:14 PM »
Just checked my Ubuntu 8.04 operating system... I passed every single test with no problems. Here is just a sample....

JEH

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 01:14:40 AM »
I have mentioned this before, the best way to promote your website is to post the URL in a major forum like this or the like. It works VERY WELL. I posted a link or two here to some pics I have stored on my webhost server and lo and behold, a Google search pops them. Then checked my logs and all kinds of weird unlisted places were snooping my files so I had to password the website and encrypt a few things to maintain privacy, nothing to hide but I like to confuse and frustrate would be snoopers. I figure if anyone wants to spend time trying to decrypt a 64 bit encryption of unknown type, more power to them!  :)

Offline knightrd

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 03:35:29 PM »
I have posted the link to my blog in another thread in this forum. These are the sorts of issues I will be discussing in more detail in my blog. One of my posts includes a fairly comprehensive list of anti-censorship tools that can be used. I will post more detailed posts about tools for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Windows, and Linux/BSD. Encryption, proxies, and secure deletion are topics that I will also discuss.

Alex's plan is a good one. If the battle is lost and censorship does take root on a widespread basis, then we will need to use every tool at our disposal. From an IT perspective, I believe we can overcome any hindrance that they can serve up. Ideally, we won't let it get to that point, but there is nothing that stop the message from being spread. A few years ago I also built a CD and DVD duplicator that allows me to churn out tremendous numbers of discs in a short period of time.

Offline Irish Terrorist

• Ni ceart go cur le cheile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 09:24:03 PM »
yaa im not worryed about my ip + i am useing a temp internet pro and im moveing house lol ,if its the goverment your worryed about thay could find out who you are in a hartbeat your internet pro has all the info thay need, proxys are ok for internet forums or if you have a dynamic ip it changes after you reset your box , try proxy.org its updated daly
Welcome to "Entertainment and Earth Invasion Tonite". Across the galaxy, my people are completing the mighty space fleet that will exterminate the human race! But first, this news from Tinseltown...

JBS

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 06:25:10 PM »
What me worry? Bring em on.
Any spambots that go to my websites all gets a nasty 1000 bogus email and weblinks to spoil their database to the point of being useless. He he ha ha. Eat that spambots!
Plus i can get all their ip's from my access logs and send spam reports to their ISP's.

Offline oshea.declan

• Infowars Ireland
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2008, 09:34:01 PM »
While I admire everyones use of Linux as an OS - I myself have used Ubuntu since the Breezy Badger release in 2005 - Open source software and all that -- It seems there is a pre-occupation with "Virus and Spyware" and such things as the "Nsa Key" -- The Nsa key - which has been renamed since Windows 2000 as simply "Key2" - is an especially needless distraction among PC users -- It's main function was and is to provide the needed cryptographic services that US Govt. uses with Microsoft OS's ... Now I am certainly not a fan of Micro$oft -- especially as Gates and his partner are major players in the eugenics dept. most notably in Africa.

Bottom line is there is no 100% privacy on internet -- especially if certain sectors of Govt. wish to know what is on your computer -- What is vulnerable on your computer ?  almost everything can be exploited on it to a crackers (not hackers) advantage -- The less which is on your computer (as in OS system files and Program software ) the less there is to exploit.

The bottom line is Control -- control over the processes of your Computers OS -- that means a good Firewall and IP Filters -- Good passwords and an encrypted Disk if possible -- You need to think in terms of "Guerilla Warfare" -- know the weapons and tactics your enemy uses and turn that against them --- Soldiers engaged in Jungle warfare in Vietnam sometimes took the enemies weapons and used them against them -- They may have taken and used a Kalashnakov because it didn't overheat so readily and was more field expedient than their own issue of weapon -- They didn't say "Oh, I'm not gonna use this AK 'cause it's a Commie gun made in Russia" --

This is where I'd like to introduce a very special version of Microsoft Server 2003 -- A version which has not been released yet but will be very, very soon, by a gentleman from SnipeRs Redemption Network over at http://retestrak.nl This will be a "Special Edition" of Server 2003 -- a really cut-down (professionally -- not just some kid n-lite button pusher -- n-lite is software which allows adjustments to Windows OS's) -- along with professional "Registry tweaks" and the inclusion of everything you need for Maximum security and privacy -- Most notably this Release will feature an "All-in-one" Media Center solution -- one program which is essentially 3 open-source projects merged into one -- Mplayer, Devede and Goo Media Center -- These are being merged into an all-in-one Program which provides "Absolutely Everything" you need to play, burn, rip, stream, convert ALL Media Formats -- This will all be automatically installed by default --- There will be NO WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER -- INTERNET EXPLORER -- OUTLOOK EXPRESS -- On this release -- These are the Most Vulnerable Things in Windows -- They are readily exploited and a major security risk.
Many folks think "I won't get Virus's in Linux .. or Spyware ... etc .. not so ... especially as they become more popular -- In fact people using Linux often become complacent -- too complacent --
Don't get me wrong " I Love Linux and will always use it" -- But this "Special Edition 2003 Server" is going to be the enemies weapon turned against them -- Guerilla Warfare . ( There will be no need for Windows Media Player in this version as Mplayer MPUI plays absolutely everything and in Firefox too -- Using the "Mediaplayer Connectivity" plug-in for Firefox -- ALL Video and Audio -- including WMV and RTSP plays in Firefox with this version. This will be THE BEST COMPUTER OPERATING SYSTEM EVER AVAILABLE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC.

For more details on this check-out SnipeRs Redemption Network at http://forum.retestrak.nl and keep an eye on eXPeriences account on The Pirate Bay http://thepiratebay.org/user/exper1ence this is where it will be available for D/L upon release. ;)

EvadingGrid

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 01:46:01 PM »
I''ll stick with Linux.

Attempts to make windows secure cost a lot of time effort and money.

However, for those who are forced to use Windows, say at work, you have posted a best fit solution.

Offline oshea.declan

• Infowars Ireland
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 07:20:20 PM »

Here are Ratings for various Software Firewalls:

http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php

Outpost Firewall Pro 2009 6.5.2355.316.0597     99% / 73    10     Excellent     GET IT NOW!     pdf
ico    Online Armor Personal Firewall 2.1.0.131    98% / 73    10    Excellent    GET IT NOW!    pdf
ico    Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0.22.349FREE    95% / 73    10+    Excellent    N/A    pdf
ico    ProSecurity 1.43    93% / 62    10    Excellent    N/A    pdf
ico    Privatefirewall 6.0.19.29    90% / 73    10+    Excellent    GET IT NOW!    pdf
ico    Online Armor Personal Firewall 2.1.0.131 FreeFREE    89% / 73    10    Very good    GET IT NOW!    pdf
ico    Netchina S3 2008 3.5.5.1FREE    86% / 73    9    Very good    N/A    pdf
ico    PC Tools Firewall Plus 4.0.0.45FREE    85% / 73    10+    Very good    GET IT NOW!    pdf
ico    Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0.1.325    85% / 62    10    Very good    GET IT NOW!    pdf
ico    Jetico Personal Firewall 2.0.2.4.2264    78% / 73    7    Good    Not recommended    pdf
ico    System Safety Monitor 2.3.0.612    77% / 62    7    Good    Not recommended    pdf
ico    Lavasoft Personal Firewall 3.0.2293.8822    70% / 73    7    Good    Not recommended    pdf
ico    ZoneAlarm Pro 7.0.473.000    63% / 73    7    Poor    Not recommended    pdf
ico    Dynamic Security Agent 2.0.11.22FREE    62% / 71    7    Poor    Not recommended    pdf
ico    Webroot Desktop Firewall 5.5.10.20FREE    60% / 73    7    Poor    Not recommended    pdf
ico    Comodo Firewall Pro 2.4.18.184FREE    55% / 73    7    Poor    Not recommended    pdf
ico    Norton Internet Security 2008 15.5.0.23    32% / 62    4    Very poor    Not recommended    pdf
ico    Trend Micro Internet Security 2008 16.10.0.1106    27% / 73    4    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    G DATA InternetSecurity 2008    19% / 73    3    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    FortKnox Personal Firewall 2008 3.0.195.0    16% / 62    2    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    Look 'n' Stop 2.06    15% / 62    2    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    F-Secure Internet Security 2008 8.00.101    12% / 73    2    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    Panda Internet Security 2008 12.01.00    12% / 73    2    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    Avira Premium Security Suite 8.1.00.206    11% / 70    2    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    Rising Personal Firewall 2008 20.59.10    11% / 73    2    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    Sunbelt Personal Firewall 4.6.1839.0    7% / 73    1    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    AVG Internet Security 8.0.93    6% / 62    1    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    McAfee Internet Security Suite 2008 9.1.108    6% / 70    1    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    Ashampoo FireWall FREE 1.20FREE    5% / 73    1    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    ESET Smart Security 3.0.621.0    5% / 62    1    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    Windows Live OneCare 2.0.2500.22    5% / 62    1    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    BitDefender Internet Security 2008 11.0.16    4% / 70    1    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    BullGuard Internet Security 8.0.0.13    4% / 70    1    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    iolo Personal Firewall 1.5.2.7    3% / 62    1    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    Filseclab Personal Firewall 3.0.3.8982FREE    3% / 73    1    None    Not recommended    pdf
ico    Steganos Internet Security 2008 7.5.509    3% / 70    1    None    Not recommended    pdf

Offline Drasamis

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2008, 05:30:36 PM »
All of the above is tops, I've been using Ubuntu for a while, although my main machine is still windows still intrepid ibex is released (the next version of ubuntu). There's also the possibility of connecting to a VPN (Virtual Private Network - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/vpn.htm), most of those types of services cost a small amount per month - but that extra bit of encryption is nice :).
'I'm a HUMAN BEING, Goddamnit! My life has VALUE!'

Offline sandycane

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2008, 07:50:56 PM »
All of this talk is waaay over my head.
I started the test and on the first run, this has me worried:

A Next-Generation PRIVACY THREAT is present!
The Media Access Control (MAC) address of the network interface card in your computer can be easily read by any computer or web server on the Internet. Yours is:
The MAC address is a "guaranteed to be globally unique" 48-bit serial number embedded into every Ethernet network adapter ever made. The problem is you can't change it it's like your machine's unique indelible fingerprint and it's being made available to any web site (like this one) that you visit. In many ways it's like a "super web browser cookie on steroids" that cannot be disabled or blocked by normal means.

Many people have become very upset over the unique serial number embedded into every Pentium III processor, fearing the invasion of privacy that such a "globally unique ID tag" would represent. But the exposed network MAC address problem is much worse since it's already here, it's fully deployed and available for the asking from most computers on the Internet! More importantly . . . it's freely available from your computer.

Since the presence and significance of this has just occurred to me, I have not yet added background information about this problem to this website. Therefore, if this is a concern to you, please plan to return to this site a few days from now when you'll find a thorough treatment of and a solution for this newly discovered significant privacy threat. 

What does this mean???
WAKE THE WORLD!

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth" A. Einstein

Offline oshea.declan

• Infowars Ireland
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2008, 02:22:45 PM »
All of this talk is waaay over my head.
I started the test and on the first run, this has me worried:

A Next-Generation PRIVACY THREAT is present!
The Media Access Control (MAC) address of the network interface card in your computer can be easily read by any computer or web server on the Internet. Yours is:
The MAC address is a "guaranteed to be globally unique" 48-bit serial number embedded into every Ethernet network adapter ever made. The problem is you can't change it — it's like your machine's unique indelible fingerprint — and it's being made available to any web site (like this one) that you visit. In many ways it's like a "super web browser cookie on steroids" that cannot be disabled or blocked by normal means.

Many people have become very upset over the unique serial number embedded into every Pentium III processor, fearing the invasion of privacy that such a "globally unique ID tag" would represent. But the exposed network MAC address problem is much worse since it's already here, it's fully deployed and available for the asking from most computers on the Internet! More importantly . . . it's freely available from your computer.

Since the presence and significance of this has just occurred to me, I have not yet added background information about this problem to this website. Therefore, if this is a concern to you, please plan to return to this site a few days from now when you'll find a thorough treatment of — and a solution for — this newly discovered significant privacy threat. 

What does this mean???

There are MAC changers you can get -- either change your MAC address or spam the Network with multiple spoof MAC addresses at the same time --- You can get them on torrent sites if you search for network tools or MAC changer --- You could find an old Pentium II or AMD K6 and make sure there's an old NIC card in it --- Load it with old RAM -- especially the old Pentium II's -- you can't speed up the processors but they're great little workhorses and you'd  be surprised what you can do ---  wipe the hard drive and install a Micro (minimal customized) version of XP or Server 2003 -- (like here http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4480946/Micro-X_(MicroXP_and_Micro2003)_Multi_Boot_CD_-_eXPerience or to be even safer a light Linux Distro --- look for Damn Small Linux, Feather Linux, Deli Linux and/or Puppy Linux --- Finally to be secure (not untraceable but unprovable tracability if you know what I mean) you need to use a wireless network other than your own, i.e. a neighbours wireless network.

Offline COSMIN

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2008, 07:43:35 AM »
XSS attcaks : Cross-site scripting (XSS) is a type of computer security vulnerability typically found in web applications which allow code injection by malicious web users into the web pages viewed by other users . you can google it for more info .
So xss steals from your computer  links and cookies ,when u vist a forum or site and after that the owner can use ur cookies to login ur email . . . . .and all the other accounts you have visited lately 

Offline oshea.declan

• Infowars Ireland
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2008, 12:24:10 AM »
XSS attcaks : Cross-site scripting (XSS) is a type of computer security vulnerability typically found in web applications which allow code injection by malicious web users into the web pages viewed by other users . you can google it for more info .
So xss steals from your computer  links and cookies ,when u vist a forum or site and after that the owner can use ur cookies to login ur email . . . . .and all the other accounts you have visited lately 

This is why it's a good idea to use Opera or Firefox web browsers and make a habit of Clearing your Private Data (easily done from tools menu in both browsers) at regular intervals. IE 7 and 8 Beta have had a major security vulnerability detected recently, I never use IE Explorer for everyday browsing .. I only keep it to check how websites I'm building look in IE Explorer.
Also check out CCleaner (formerly Crap Cleaner) it has a straightforward interface for deleting all temporary junk from your computer.

EDIT: Firefox with the  "NoScript" plugin installed is a good precaution

Offline portamenteff

« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2008, 10:48:20 AM »

That's why I use Linux-Complete control of firewalls without paying lots of money to New World Order companies like McCaffey.