FL - Cops caught on dash cam trying to cover up their rear end crash

(1/1)

nofakenews:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrBSYUF5gkQ

After a Hollywood police officer rear-ended a car in February and then arrested the driver on drunken driving charges, he and other officers talked about doctoring the report--it said a jumpy cat created a distraction--to cover up the crash.

The exchange was recorded by a dashboard camera in one of the patrol cars. The officers apparently didn't realize it was on.

"I don't want to make things up ever, because it's wrong, but if I need to bend it a little bit to protect a cop, I'm gonna," one of the officers can be heard saying.

"We'll do a little Walt Disney to protect the cop because it wouldn't have mattered because she is drunk anyway."

Alexandra Gabriela Torrensvilas, 23, of Hollywood, ended up charged with four counts of drunken driving and cited for improper lane change.

On Tuesday, Hollywood police officials placed Officer Dewey Pressley, 42, Officer Joel Francisco, 36, Sgt. Andrew Diaz, 39; and civilian Community Service Officer Karim Thomas, age unavailable; on administrative duty pending an internal affairs investigation and a review by the Broward State Attorney's Office, said spokesman Lt. Scott Pardon.

Francisco was driving the car in the crash; Pressley wrote the report and made the arrest.

Pressley's report detailing the Feb. 17 midnight crash in the 2800 block of Sheridan Street said "a large gray stray cat" that had been sitting on Torrensvila's lap jumped out of her car window and distracted her, causing her to veer into Francisco's lane, where she abruptly braked, and he hit her.

"I will do the narrative for you," one of the officers says on the tape. "I know how I am going to word this, the cat gets him off the hook."

Torrensvilas' attorney, Larry Meltzer, said this is a disturbing "abuse of power."

"Actually seeing it transpire on video in front of you, it really kind of sickens you," he said.

"It's really nauseating to sit there and watch your client's rights go out the window."

Torrensvilas' four DUI charges carry a maximum penalty of nearly three years in jail, Meltzer said.

He declined to say what will become of her case: "In my opinion, as of this time, it's being handled appropriately."

A spokesman for the Broward State Attorney's Office declined to comment on the case or how it will proceed.

Pressley, a 21-year veteran with the agency, wrote that when Francisco approached Torrensvilas' car after the crash, she blurted: "It just jumped out."

The "it" was "a large, gray stray cat" that had been sitting on her lap while she drove, the report said.

Francisco, who has been with the agency for nearly 11 years, smelled "a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage."

Public Defender Howard Finkelstein on Tuesday sent a letter to Hollywood Police Chief Chadwick Wagner calling for answers and accountability.

"Not only did these officers make a conscious decision to shift the blame to this young woman, but they made a concerted effort to write a narrative to fit 'their facts,' " Finkelstein wrote.

He said his office has at least 27 pending cases in which these four officers are listed as material state witnesses.

Pardon, the police department's spokesman, declined to respond to the allegations. "We'll see where the investigation goes," he said.

Just blame it on the invisible cat....

hal 9000:
Did they give her a breathalyzer test, and if not, was it because she refused? I don't understand why the cops would have to make up anything if she really was intoxicated at the time of the accident. I'm not exactly sure what transpired here. You can't just take the cops at their word that the woman was drunk, that much I understand. This is still America, thank God. 

jaycee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JXHduw6Jd4

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-beat/Cops-Set-Up-Woman-After-Crash.html

Charges Dropped Against Woman Framed by Cops

Police seen plotting to blame car accident on woman they hit

Alexandra Torrensvilas was the target of cops who pinned a DUI on her for an accident they caused. Now she has been cleared of charges after the Broward State Attorney's Office officially dropped the four DUI citations on Wednesday.

But the saga is far from over as now prosecutors turn their attention to the four Hollywood police officers who made up an intricate story to cover for a February traffic accident involving a cop car. The scheme was caught on one of the officers dashboard cameras.

The disturbing video shows Alexandra Torrensvilas, 23, handcuffed in the back of the squad car as the officers get their stories straight on what they are going to say happened.

Officer Joel Francisco, 36, an 11-year veteran, crashed into the back of Torrensvilas' vehicle at a light on February 17 at midnight. The cop radioed to other officers who converged on the scene and hatched a way to bail Francisco out.

Cops Tall Tale Caught

Officer Dewey Pressley, 42, arrives and questions Torrensvilas, who tells him that she has been drinking. The 21-year veteran officer seizes the opportunity and arrests her for DUI. But the plot thickens from there.

The cops begin to brainstorm believable excuses for the accident.

"As far as I'm concerned. I'm going to put words in his mouth. She went to accelerate and a cat jumped out of the window at which point he thought it could have been a pedestrian, which distracted him," Pressley tells Sgt. Andrew Diaz, another veteran of the force. "I mean what's the chances of hitting a f---in drunk when a cat jumps out of the window?"

Still, the cops run with the half-baked idea and rush to get Torrensvilas to do a Breathalyzer test so they can officially say she was drunk.

"I nailed her on the video. I already hung her on video. She said she has been doing a beer party," Pressley says. "She's gonna blow."

Then, another cop debates with Pressley on who is going to write up the fabricated report to clear their police comrade.

"I know how I'm going to word this with the cat so we can get him off the hook. I'll write the narrative," Pressley says. "We're going to bend this a little bit."

Civilian Community Service Officer Karim Thomas joins the three senior officers and the four cops go so far as to change the angle of pictures of the accident to make it look like Torrensvilas swerved in front of the cop car and caused the accident, not Francisco.

Throughout the tape, the cops acknowledged what they are doing is illegal, but when you are the law, there is nothing wrong with bending it for a fellow cop, one says.

"I don't lie and make things up ever because it's wrong, but if I need to bend it a little bit to protect a cop, I'll do it," Pressley tells Francisco after reassuring him no one will ever find out. "She's freaking hammered anyway."

The cops even do a final rehearsal before Villa is taken to the city lock up.

"We'll take care of it," one officer says. The others reply: "We're good."

The police officers are currently on administrative duty pending a state attorney's office investigation.

NWOSCUM:
Sick.  When you see the dash cam video, their corruption and lack of integrity is transparent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index