PrisonPlanet Forum
April 17, 2014, 06:32:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man who gave up living off money now a cave dweller in Utah  (Read 6233 times)
A Who

« on: July 22, 2009, 05:07:33 PM »

http://men.style.com/details/features/landing?id=content_9817&mbid=yhp&npu=1

DANIEL SUELO LIVES IN A CAVE. UNLIKE THE average American—wallowing in credit-card debt, clinging to a mortgage, terrified of the next downsizing at the office—he isn't worried about the economic crisis. That's because he figured out that the best way to stay solvent is to never be solvent in the first place. Nine years ago, in the autumn of 2000, Suelo decided to stop using money. He just quit it, like a bad drug habit.

His dwelling, hidden high in a canyon lined with waterfalls, is an hour by foot from the desert town of Moab, Utah, where people who know him are of two minds: He's either a latter-day prophet or an irredeemable hobo. Suelo's blog, which he maintains free at the Moab Public Library, suggests that he's both. "When I lived with money, I was always lacking," he writes. "Money represents lack. Money represents things in the past (debt) and things in the future (credit), but money never represents what is present."

On a warm day in early spring, I clamber along a set of red-rock cliffs to the mouth of his cave, where I find a note signed with a smiley face: CHRIS, FEEL FREE TO USE ANYTHING, EAT ANYTHING (NOTHING HERE IS MINE). From the outside, the place looks like a hollowed teardrop, about the size of an Amtrak bathroom, with enough space for a few pots that hang from the ceiling, a stove under a stone eave, big buckets full of beans and rice, a bed of blankets in the dirt, and not much else. Suelo's been here for three years, and it smells like it.

"Build A Great Tomorrow, Hear My Words Today."

http://snardfarker.ning.com/profile/Awho
Lucian Solaris
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 05:43:54 PM »

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

He is free.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 - *.:{Hack.I.T Edition r0001}:.*

iJ4EAREKAAYFAkpnpAAACgkQ+7Rzy15t3vajMAIAhM8AZk+uDmbM697Pdwwd1vtI
WhTIlA7qJh0MHAXSpkwJxKjnYdfewpaXp2/V9Jyeb8b/PgaPGZ50pmZN1zyaQgH/
RCNsdSrPVLsNPXyqEXNSxJL7gCliZ2hSMtxsgIDEqNRKA94ocD4OR3Puz99csCTX
VjPmWSXON5qyxP2W2BiXUA==
=mmIC
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
davidnay

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 05:46:44 PM »

He is free.

True. But he's still living in a cave.
Freeski

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 05:47:40 PM »

What courage.

And yes, he is free!

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." Martin Luther King, Jr.
TheCaliKid

What can we do about it, really?

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 06:13:28 PM »

Awesome. A moneyed system is tyranny, is control, is the carrot-and-stick, is unhappiness, is slavery, is man's disconnect from Nature.

It's certainly not for everyone, but I hardily applaud him.

Better to beg for forgiveness, than to ask for permission
clint giles

The world needs an enema!

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 06:18:06 PM »

freedom !

from society and its shit....and its pilling up by the second,especially in the past 10 years.
so many people are so brainwashed !
trailhound

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 07:01:33 PM »

I have often thought long hard about doing just that. Never could get my lady to go  though  Kiss I could see me doing it when i get old though.

"Do not let your hatred of a people incite you to aggression." Qur'an 5:2
At the heart of that Western freedom and democracy is the belief that the individual man, the child of God, is the touchstone of value..." -RFK
egypt

Love: A Wish to bestow the fullness of Joyous Life

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 07:12:28 PM »

I'd talk to him and listen.  At least he's not a fluoride head -- probably the last clear-thinking person in America with those waterfalls.
Kilika

Thank you Jesus!

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 06:28:47 AM »

20   And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
21   Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
22   For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
Luke 21:20-22 (KJV)

At some point, Christians will have to make a choice to refuse what the world is offering like this guy did. And I think that time is soon. However comfortable we are with material posessions, we need to do like this guy and rethink what's important in life.

He's right in that people have been surviving for thousands of years with no medical insurance, jobs, grocery stores, and cable tv. It is the lust for more that has caused society to think they must have all these fancy creature comforts.

I've lived on the streets myself before for 3 years and know how liberating it is to know you don't have to be anywhere and to have no bills to pay, or car to maintain. Freedom indeed. And a day didn't go by that I didn't eat. Some days were better than others of course, but I did just fine. And with all the walking I did, I think I was in the best health I've ever been.

As it stands, I see a return to that life soon seeing the way things are going. The only debt I have is 11k on my home, all else is paid for, with no credit cards in years and no personal debt. And I'd walk away from the house in a heart beat if I have to, which I believe I'll have to before long because I refuse to be a part of their social imprisonment. The world can shove the mark! My God tells me to tell them to take a hike.

I wonder what the ownership status is on the land he's on. Somebody owns it, which presents a whole 'nother situation with society; Where does one go once they reject society? Squatter's rights no longer exist, and all the land is owned by somebody, so that means there's the potential for trespassing wherever one goes.

Going "off-grid" is not getting any easier!

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
1 Timothy 6:10 (KJB)
Imbue

OPEN YOUR EYES

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 08:43:11 AM »

Wait unitl his property tax notice arrives.....in his email. LOL

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds..."
The TRUTH about our rights
Original 13TH Amendment
thnkfstpal

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 11:20:22 AM »

The funny thing is this guy didn't need the knowledge of the New World Order to make his decision, it's just common sense nowadays.

minscape

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »

There's lots of areas  across the country that no one owns or visits but aren't deserted wastelands. Superior National Forest and the BWCAW in northern Minnesota come to mind. We would camp up there, crossing back and forth over the uncontrolled border (pre 9/11) on week-long trips and we would often go without seeing another human the entire time. Beautiful county.
Protean
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 12:11:23 PM »

His blog:
http://sites.google.com/site/livingwithoutmoney/

RoadRunner

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 12:32:03 PM »

umm, he would be starving to death if it wasnt for the financial economy which exists around him.

There is a word for this kind of living, it is a bum

this is not impressive, its just a man living in cave and working the system

when the depression comes, he will be forced to work like the rest of us

you can do anything you want
think anything you like
but you cant change human nature
Truthist

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 12:38:43 PM »

Haven't we all at one point or another thought about doing this?
I know I sure have. I think of it fondly, in fact.
I've never been a big fan of society as a whole, have little interest in material things and hate being involved in this system.

I commend this guy for having the guts to do what I haven't been able to!

"Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for the truth."
chris jones

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 01:21:51 PM »

The shape of things to come.

Some call this guy a nutbag, some admire his stance.

I admire his courage, be he off balance, be that he raids trash, or lives in a cave. I don't give a twit, he left on his own a very lucrative profesion, that tells me something. He worked helping other people with no pay, that too rings bells.

Call the guy what you will, I don't beleive he gives one sh--t, he has found his place and is at peace.

No stones thrown from me. Hey and don't worry, we may all be seeking caves before this abomination ends.
childofgod

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 01:50:50 PM »

this will soon be the only means for survival soon. i see a certain beauty in it.
A Who

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 02:00:17 PM »

This really isn't a first. There's other people that do some what the same, just on hand made/self made boats. Check out these hipster artists who thought it would be cool to milk the system, and at the same time live on boats they built like sea vagabonds or something.

http://www.swimmingcities.org/

"Build A Great Tomorrow, Hear My Words Today."

http://snardfarker.ning.com/profile/Awho
J. Croft

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 02:19:07 PM »

Bust on this guy for being a kook and a bum all you want but this is our future.
Erastus

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 10:02:32 PM »

He may be confused, maybe we're confused.  It's his life right?  Call him a bum or whatever, he doesn't care.  He's not hurting anyone.  He lives off the "trash" we throw away.  Even if he didn't have our trash, I think he would make it.  He doesn't need it, he just takes what others are too good for.  I would never live like this unless I had to.  I have a wife and a child, but could still make this work.  We all have these "Bug out bags" but, what if you really had to?  Where do you go, and where are you coming from?  I'm not coming at anybody, but what do we do, if we had to live two years in the wild?  I love this subject, and want everyone's opinion.  Mod's, please move this to Survival if you think that's best.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude
xopatriot

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 10:27:26 PM »

The closest I have come to this is I bought some acres bought a cheap mobile home fixed it up and now living on it. I still have modern amenities but that is all I pay for no major bills like credit cards or mortgage living debt free and at peace. Couldn't convince the wife to move the kids into a cave LOL. Slowly working on making the place self sustainable with it's own power and water. Plenty of food sources all around, live near national park hunting and fishing are plentifull, will raise some chickens and goats for food.

Decided to do this about 1 1/2 year ago when I started listening to alex, if the SHTF I plan on being ready if it never happens then i will at least be debt free and be able to provide for my wife and kids. I did this for them.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil;  my cup overflows.
TheCaliKid

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 11:38:28 PM »

Haven't we all at one point or another thought about doing this?

Yes, we have. Not everyone will admit it, but the thought has crossed their minds at least once.

larsonstdoc

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 12:01:15 AM »

Soon the caves will be standing room only and we will be eating bats.
lavosslayer

This is what happens after cats watch Obama...

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 12:06:44 AM »

Yes, we have. Not everyone will admit it, but the thought has crossed their minds at least once.

definitely! I think about it a lot actually especially because if it wasn't for my parents letting me live with them when I got laid off several months ago, I would be doing just that! To take that even further, my father got laid off in April and now the only one with income is my mother. This has created a situation where we are having to sell our house in order to avoid foreclosure and downsize in all aspects of our lives. Its been really difficult, and will probably get worse as this Globalist plan progresses, but the concept of freedom has never been won easily. Its always been about the fight! Its always been about getting to live a life that you control, that you can sleep at night without worrying about owing someone else a debt, or worrying about your rights being taken from you by evil bankers. As long as we believe that we have the right to be free and are willing to fight for it no matter what the cost, we will be free!

"Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither" -- Benjamin Franklin
TheCaliKid

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 12:40:42 AM »

I just saw the part where he says he's gay on his blog. What a shame. That's totally against the laws of Nature! What a dumbass.

xopatriot

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 12:42:36 AM »

Tsk Tsk Tsk.... it certainly is against the laws of nature.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil;  my cup overflows.
barndoor77

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 06:07:45 AM »

If you think this guy is a parasitic bum of the system - then what do we define these people as??

George Soros?

George Bush Sr?

Barrack Obama?

Maybe this guy is a bum and didn't 'hold his weight' but to make that statement would only smack of an ignorant jealousy - namely due to that fact this if he is a parasite - he didn't make you poor like the above people have (and are going to).

But then what do we call the people that collect every benefit and assistance known to the system? Like people who weigh 500 lbs and need $350,000 in medical care (which your going to pay for in premiums) simply because the system is willing to support them?

I would believe that exiting the system is the fastest way to destroy the new world order.  Sure we may hand out a 1000 DVD's but really when we turn around and support our parasitic government with the taxes off our checks were really no threat to the system at all.  This guy maybe didn't hand out a 1000 DVD's but the system isn't feeding  off of him for its own aggrandizement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: