Professor Jon Turley: US is Criminalizing innocent behavior at an alarming rate

Author Topic: Professor Jon Turley: US is Criminalizing innocent behavior at an alarming rate  (Read 22103 times)

Offline egypt

• Love: A Wish to bestow the fullness of Joyous Life
For many years, many men and women have been posting information warning about what is taking place today but no one ever listened, NOW WE'RE PAYING THE PRICE. {by member of another Group}  

Criminalizing innocent behavior at an alarming rate....

By Dr. Jonathan Turley of George Washington Univ

It sounds just like DCF, because the also like to criminalize innocent behavior which turns into false fabricated charges.

Low-rider jeans that are too low? Call 911. Failing to shovel that snow-covered sidewalk?  Book 'em. In America today, lawmakers are criminalizing innocent behavior at an alarming rate and undermining our criminal justice system.

Texas Rep. Wayne Smith is tired of hearing about parents missing meetings with their children's teachers.  His proposed solution is simple:  Prosecute such parents as criminals.  In Louisiana, state Sen. Derrick Shepherd is tired of seeing teenagers wearing popular low-rider pants that show their undergarments — so he would like to criminally charge future teenagers who are caught "riding low."

Across the USA, legislators are criminalizing everything from spitting on a school bus to speaking on a cellphone while driving.  Criminalizing bad behavior has become the rage among politicians, who view such action as a type of legislative exclamation point demonstrating the seriousness of their cause.  As a result, new crimes are proliferating at an alarming rate, and we risk becoming a nation of criminals where carelessness or even rudeness is enough to secure a criminal record.

There was a time when having a criminal record meant something.  Indeed, it was the social stigma or shame of such charges that deterred many people from "a life of crime." In both England and the USA, there was once a sharp distinction between criminal and negligent conduct; the difference between the truly wicked and the merely stupid.

Legislators, however, discovered that criminalization was a wonderful way to outdo one's opponents on popular issues.  Thus, when deadbeat dads became an issue, legislators rushed to make missing child payments a crime rather than rely on civil judgments.  When cellphone drivers became a public nuisance, a new crime was born.  Unnecessary horn honking, speaking loudly on a cellphone and driving without a seat belt are only a few of the new crimes.  If you care enough about child support, littering, or abandoned pets, you are expected to care enough to make their abuse a crime.

HIGH CRIMES
Consider the budding criminal career of Kay Leibrand. The 61-year-old grandmother lived a deceptively quiet life in Palo Alto, Calif., until the prosecutors outed her as a habitual horticultural offender.  It appears that she allowed her hedge bushes to grow more than 2 feet high — a crime in the city. Battling cancer, Leibrand had allowed her shrubbery to grow into a criminal enterprise. (After her arraignment and shortly before her jury trial, she was allowed to cut down her bushes and settle the case.)

Of course, it is better to be a criminal horticulturalist than a serial snacker. In 2000, on her way home from her junior high school in Washington, D.C., 12-year-old Ansche Hedgepeth grabbed some french fries and ate them as she went into the train station. In Washington, it is a crime to "consume food or drink" in a Metrorail facility.  An undercover officer arrested her, searched her and confiscated her shoelaces.

Running out of adult targets, many state laws pursue the toddler and preteen criminal element. In Texas, children have been charged for chewing gum or, in one case, simply removing the lid from a fire alarm.  Dozens of kids have been charged with everything from terrorism to criminal threats for playing with toy guns or drawing violent doodles in school.

In the federal system, Congress has been in a virtual criminalization frenzy.  There are more than 4,000 crimes and roughly 10,000 regulations with criminal penalties in the federal system alone.  Just last year, Congress made it a crime to sell horse meat for human consumption — a common practice in Europe where it is considered a delicacy.  Congress has also criminalized such things as disruptive conduct by animal activists and using the image of Smokey Bear or Woodsy Owl or the 4-H club insignia without authorization.

The ability to deter negligence with criminal charges has always been questioned by academics.  Negligent people are, by definition, acting in a thoughtless, unpremeditated, or careless way. Nevertheless, prosecutors will often stretch laws to make a popular point — even when the perpetrators have suffered greatly and shown complete remorse.

In 2002, Kevin Kelly was charged criminally in Manassas, Va., when his daughter, less than 2 years old, was left in the family van and died of hyperthermia.  With his wife in Ireland with another daughter, Kelly watched over their 12 other children.  He relied on his teenage daughters to help unload the van and did not realize the mistake until it was too late.

The suggestion that people like Kelly need a criminal conviction to think about the safety of their children is absurd.  Kelly was widely viewed as a loving father, who was devastated by the loss.  The conviction only magnified the tragedy for this family.  (Though the prosecutors sought jail time, Kelly was sentenced to seven years probation, with one day in jail a year to think about his daughter's death.)

THE COST TO ALL OF US
The criminalization of America might come as a boon for politicians, but it comes at considerable cost for citizens and society.  For citizens, a criminal record can affect everything from employment to voting to child custody — not to mention ruinous legal costs.

Yet, it now takes only a fleeting mistake to cross the line into criminal conduct. In Virginia, when a child accused Dawn McCann of swearing at a bus stop, she was charged criminally — as have been other people accused of the crime of public profanity.  Our insatiable desire to turn everything into a crime is creating a Gulag America with 714 incarcerated persons per 100,000 — the highest rate in the world.  Millions of people are charged each year with new criminal acts that can stretch from first-degree murder to failing to shovel their sidewalks.

We can find better ways to deal with runaway bushes, castaway pets, or even potty-mouth problems.  Congress and the states should create independent commissions to review their laws in order to decriminalize negligent conduct, limiting criminal charges to true crimes and true criminals. In the end, a crime means nothing if anyone can be a criminal.

Ron Jagananthan
ron.jagannathan@ gmail.com

Jon Moseley
Fax: (703) 783-0449

I help victims of CPS fight to get their children back.  Information like no other website:  http://www.nfpcar.org.  It is an organization for ALL parents: bio, kinship, grandparents, Dads, adoptive, legal guardian...  This is my response to the above post on another Group:

I first saw this with alarming trend with CPS.  Virtually every act of parenting is viewed by CPS as child abuse.  It goes so far as to teach our kids in school, that this is the case.  I say to myself -- huh?

But, it goes much further with CPS using the psychological sector.  It was noticed by myself, right away, that they would take normal human behavior and then "say" it is sick, the person needs help, etc.

There are books for reference in eReferences in http://www.nfpcar. org that explain what normal sexual development in children is.  Right now ~Anything~ sexual that occurs between children is twisted by CPS into sexual abuse by the parents.  99% of what occurs with children as they develop sexually is normal behavior that CPS does this with.

Basically, it is just any excuse to destroy the family.  You may ask yourself "why?"  CPS is just one avenue of what is a much larger problem in accomplishing this in many ways:

Getting the kids to disrespect parents and parenting
Teaching the kids that any act of parenting is not ok
Teaching the kids they should be able to do anything they want
Teaching the kids that homosexuality is a "choice" they can make
Teaching the kids a false history of our country
Teaching the kids low values about sex, media, entertainment
Daemonizing parents at all costs
Destroying familys through false accusations of child abuse
Teaching the kids to snitch on people w/$200 "tip" money as incentive
The outrageous forced drugging of our children as soon as they enter school

Love, e

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
Re: NWO Attack on the Social Front
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
Hi Egypt - great article by Turley, thanks for posting.
Would you post the source link for it - thanks!
And  the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, 
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40

Offline Monkeypox

• He Loved Big Brother
    • Monkeypox
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 03:58:17 PM »
"Of course, it is better to be a criminal horticulturalist than a serial snacker. In 2000, on her way home from her junior high school in Washington, D.C., 12-year-old Ansche Hedgepeth grabbed some french fries and ate them as she went into the train station. In Washington, it is a crime to "consume food or drink" in a Metrorail facility.  An undercover officer arrested her, searched her and confiscated her shoelaces."

They arrested a 12 YO - for eating french fries?

I bet even in the world of "1984" or Stalinist Russia they wouldn't have arrested a 12 YO for eating.

I find it funny that we are supposed to be the most free nation on Earth, yet we have more laws than anyone.

They outlaw certain behaviors, as if that will stop the behavior. How idiotic.
War Is Peace - Freedom Is Slavery - Ignorance Is Strength

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."

—Thomas Jefferson

Offline egypt

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 05:34:42 PM »
Hi Egypt - great article by Turley, thanks for posting.
Would you post the source link for it - thanks!

Here's the link to the article:  http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20070327/oplede15. art.htm

We have to act before it is too late.  CPS is a biggie.  It has been expanded upon since 1974 like no other governmental operation.  It is my opinion, that if we do away with CPS, we strike at the heart of our problem.  I only say this because our enemy places so much importance upon it.

Indeed, my friend from Russia told me that the way they "took over" was "they turned the kids against us."

Offline mad_norwegian

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 03:11:51 AM »
This is my no means unique to the US. Here in norway, unless its obious its legal - like eating in a resturant (and paying the "eating indoor tax", which is actually a tax here), playing soccer, working or sleeping or other "constructive" things you can guess a majority wouldnt make a crime, it is forbidden. Pitbulls are, forinstance, seen as a "dangerous dog", you will get fined and the dog executed if your caught with that here, if your supposed to own a dog, they prefer you own a dwarf poodle or something that looks innocent. You can get up to 6 months in jail if you use a swiss army knife to peel an apple (which a guy was arrested for here, since your not allowed to wear a knife), and playing poker is a crime, a poker party here where the participants each had put $20 in the pot got raided by 20-30 policeofficers and the guy that arranged this put il jail for "illegal gambling". Ive heard in austria, they even want people to pay tax if they take a walk in the woods, how are they going to make people pay these taxes I dont know (police-stops in the forrest maybe?), but i guess youre a criminal if you dont pay the tax. And this is the norm throughout europe. Instead of making a library of what you cant do, we should give out a small list of what you CAN do.

Offline heavyhebrew

• Laughter is the best medicine.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 03:40:01 AM »
Then wage the Social War right back.

Put bumper stickers on cop cars, change church bulletin boards to better reflect modern theology (Today's sermon: How to learn to like obedience), turn random knobs on or off, spray paint the walls, glue the doors shut, buy a slingshot, teach yourself some chemistry, play with electromagnetics, play with analog frequencies, learn to hack (or be an annoying skripty), sabotage ATM's, learn how to use magnetized cards to mess up POS terminals, shoot out a traffic camera, randomly visit and photograph your local government bureaucratic offices, break down the digital carrier wave header and crack the encryption header then hack the signal, make a proxy server, follow cop cars and videotape their actions, find where your local city politicos live and distribute Endgame to their neighbors, learn how your local water and sewer distribution outflows work, buy a lot of stuff on the Fourth for later fun, pass fliers out about the NWO at local school boards meeting, community meetings and city council meetings, take over your school boards, community meetings and city councils, learn about your local talking media heads at the local propaganda outlets and mail them, continuously, the collected video works of the Infowars catalogs, pass out The Citizens Rule Book at the local and federal courthouse (they really do not like that last one), take down and reverse your local street signs, hack street lights, learn to use a wire saw, learn to acquire Freon, learn to salvage, learn to sew, lie on official forms asking for personal information (I sign Wilt Chamberlain a lot).

Their power derives from our compliance. So, knowing this, you should, everyday, practice disobedience. And you can do it without ever hurting another person, ever. Well, except for cops. They are such big babies that they get really aggressive if you in any way hurt their ego. Which you should do, all the time, especially in a casual setting in front of people.
"So, you are a member of the local police department, how is the whole tyranny career thing going? Get to taser a grandmother yet? Shoot a twelve year old kid in the back of your patrol car yet? I know, those toy guns can look so real. You had to defend yourself."

Sabotage, it is fun, safe and it is very American. Being a smart ass prick to authority, that takes skill and ingenuity.

Hell, you can rebel as easily as growing your own food in a garden.
We work jobs we hate to pay for stuff we don't need to impress people we don't like. Am I the crazy one here?

Offline Ghost in the Machine

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 03:47:07 AM »
Laws made by the lawless huh  :-\

Offline chrsswtzr

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 05:07:12 AM »
Thanks for your insight Heavy Hebrew... it gave me a chuckle remembering some of the stuff my friends and I used to do before I stopped using my hacking/phreaking abilities for criminal mischief.

This whole criminology in America, where one can be charged for anything and is deemed guilty until proven innocent is becoming the image of our justice system. It's absurd, yet it's reality. They've made everyone think twice before littering, before loitering, before yelling, before throwing, before speaking, before thinking... 1984 is an understatement people. We really need to take action. I, myself, am guilty of not doing ENOUGH. I just cannot, because I'm also a slave to this fiat fed note system in order to feed & clothe my family, and maintain shelter over their heads. I do my best to burn DVDs, engage people in conversation and bring up "controversial" topics without apology or excuses, and call/write my local elected officials and civil servants. I know there's more I can do, and I must give up what little selfish pleasures I still hold onto that do not directly help the fight for truth against the New World Order.

In the land of the free, the free are the slaves, and the land of the brave, the brave are afraid... this is a travesty!

-Chris

Offline heavyhebrew

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 03:06:47 PM »
Thanks for your insight Heavy Hebrew... it gave me a chuckle remembering some of the stuff my friends and I used to do before I stopped using my hacking/phreaking abilities for criminal mischief.

This whole criminology in America, where one can be charged for anything and is deemed guilty until proven innocent is becoming the image of our justice system. It's absurd, yet it's reality. They've made everyone think twice before littering, before loitering, before yelling, before throwing, before speaking, before thinking... 1984 is an understatement people. We really need to take action. I, myself, am guilty of not doing ENOUGH. I just cannot, because I'm also a slave to this fiat fed note system in order to feed & clothe my family, and maintain shelter over their heads. I do my best to burn DVDs, engage people in conversation and bring up "controversial" topics without apology or excuses, and call/write my local elected officials and civil servants. I know there's more I can do, and I must give up what little selfish pleasures I still hold onto that do not directly help the fight for truth against the New World Order.

In the land of the free, the free are the slaves, and the land of the brave, the brave are afraid... this is a travesty!

-Chris

Damned if you don't, damned if you do. Might as well do.
We work jobs we hate to pay for stuff we don't need to impress people we don't like. Am I the crazy one here?

Offline trailhound

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 03:24:34 PM »
follow cop cars and videotape their actions

Have often thought to do that but until recently didnt own a vid cam. It seems nearly every time i see a cop driving he is breaking the law and i dont mean 5 miles over the speed limit. I have had them damn near blow me off the road no lights on just driving like a bat out of hell. I also had a cop neighbor growing up and am scared to ride in the car with him because he drives like an idiot. 

Regarding the rest of heavyheb's post your response reminds me of R.A.Wilson's writings.. He wrote about the illuminati from a fiction approach. One theme he often wrote in is the average person's random acts of disobediance and how people will always, although often subtle about it, throw wrenches in the machine. At least it makes ya feel better if nothing else ;D

"Do not let your hatred of a people incite you to aggression." Qur'an 5:2
At the heart of that Western freedom and democracy is the belief that the individual man, the child of God, is the touchstone of value..." -RFK

Offline ES

• Old Iron Sides: Enemy of Tyrannical Scum
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 07:37:40 PM »
Then wage the Social War right back.

Put bumper stickers on cop cars, change church bulletin boards to better reflect modern theology (Today's sermon: How to learn to like obedience), turn random knobs on or off, spray paint the walls, glue the doors shut, buy a slingshot, teach yourself some chemistry, play with electromagnetics, play with analog frequencies, learn to hack (or be an annoying skripty), sabotage ATM's, learn how to use magnetized cards to mess up POS terminals, shoot out a traffic camera, randomly visit and photograph your local government bureaucratic offices, break down the digital carrier wave header and crack the encryption header then hack the signal, make a proxy server, follow cop cars and videotape their actions, find where your local city politicos live and distribute Endgame to their neighbors, learn how your local water and sewer distribution outflows work, buy a lot of stuff on the Fourth for later fun, pass fliers out about the NWO at local school boards meeting, community meetings and city council meetings, take over your school boards, community meetings and city councils, learn about your local talking media heads at the local propaganda outlets and mail them, continuously, the collected video works of the Infowars catalogs, pass out The Citizens Rule Book at the local and federal courthouse (they really do not like that last one), take down and reverse your local street signs, hack street lights, learn to use a wire saw, learn to acquire Freon, learn to salvage, learn to sew, lie on official forms asking for personal information (I sign Wilt Chamberlain a lot).

Their power derives from our compliance. So, knowing this, you should, everyday, practice disobedience. And you can do it without ever hurting another person, ever. Well, except for cops. They are such big babies that they get really aggressive if you in any way hurt their ego. Which you should do, all the time, especially in a casual setting in front of people.
"So, you are a member of the local police department, how is the whole tyranny career thing going? Get to taser a grandmother yet? Shoot a twelve year old kid in the back of your patrol car yet? I know, those toy guns can look so real. You had to defend yourself."

Sabotage, it is fun, safe and it is very American. Being a smart ass prick to authority, that takes skill and ingenuity.

"My heros are people who monkey wrench the new world order"-Jello Biafra
"My heroes are people who monkey wrench the new world order". - Jello Biafra

Offline heavyhebrew

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 07:43:01 PM »
Too many here are waiting for someone to tell them it is OK to start breaking stuff. Well, I am here to tell you that it is OK and you should start doing it right now.
But then again, I think a lot of those waiting "for when the time is right" are the ones who just want to shoot stuff. Shoot a traffic camera or any other surveillance device you can find.
Be creative. You can have aggressive resistance without harming another human being. Be ingenious. Always be on the lookout for anything to do, no matter how little it may be, that directly counteracts the growing tyranny. Be spontaneous. You never know when you have to go a number 2 and some cop parks his car in the alley behind your house.

I met him at one of his spoken word appearances up here in Seattle. Always good to meet one of your heroes and inspirations.
And seeing him perform the No WTO Combo with Kris Novoselic and Amy during the Battle for Seattle...priceless.

Offline ES

• Old Iron Sides: Enemy of Tyrannical Scum
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 09:14:10 PM »
Too many here are waiting for someone to tell them it is OK to start breaking stuff. Well, I am here to tell you that it is OK and you should start doing it right now.
But then again, I think a lot of those waiting "for when the time is right" are the ones who just want to shoot stuff. Shoot a traffic camera or any other surveillance device you can find.
Be creative. You can have aggressive resistance without harming another human being. Be ingenious. Always be on the lookout for anything to do, no matter how little it may be, that directly counteracts the growing tyranny. Be spontaneous. You never know when you have to go a number 2 and some cop parks his car in the alley behind your house.

I met him at one of his spoken word appearances up here in Seattle. Always good to meet one of your heroes and inspirations.
And seeing him perform the No WTO Combo with Kris Novoselic and Amy during the Battle for Seattle...priceless.

We do know one thing. If we do nothing then nothing we want to happen will happen.
"My heroes are people who monkey wrench the new world order". - Jello Biafra

Offline Volitzar

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 01:47:03 AM »
It's all to get more money for the Prison Industrial Complex by making everything criminal.

Offline chrsswtzr

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 02:08:50 AM »
It's all to get more money for the Prison Industrial Complex by making everything criminal.

+1

Offline egypt

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 02:11:30 AM »
Yes, the more soft kill, the cheaper, too.

It will cost a lot for roundups and euthenasia.  Plus, there is the possibility of failure with too many numbers for this last measure.

Maybe they're really bulldozing to get the gold out of the corpse's teeth.

Offline Volitzar

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 03:36:35 AM »
Probably be a crime to even talk about the Federal-Reserve in the next 5 years.

Offline egypt

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 03:42:58 AM »
For those that do make it, they'll have surveillance in their homes.  1984 for sure.  Just a hunk of flesh without knowledge of God or Life.  And, if someone does figure it out -- it will be in their old age.  Then too, how would that person educate others?

God does not mean for humankind to be this way.  To me, whatever our origins, there is still God.

Offline TimeLady

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 12:23:45 PM »
Teaching the kids that homosexuality is a "choice" they can make

There seem to be a lot of people obsessed with the gay on this forum . . . There's nothing wrong with it, anyhow.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Offline ChristSavage

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 12:34:12 PM »

Yes it is...

And for those of us who have no room for a garden, buying organic and supporting local farmers that grow non GMO crops.

Offline starvosan

In this country, everybody is guilty of something.  It sickens me though, the way they go after the children:

5-27-06
Two-Year-Old Cited by Police
A two-year-old boy has been cited by Jeanerette(LA) police for criminal damage to property, after allegedly throwing a rock at a vehicle. ..... (the boy's mother Tauwana) Harris says Tremell picked up a rock and threw it at a lady's truck and hit the back of it. Harris says the woman claimed he put two holes in it. She says she was allowing her son to apologize, when the woman jumped out and said 'sorry' is not good enough.
Harris says at that point, the woman called Jeanerette police. Officer Douglas Trump arrived to find Harris and the owner of the vehicle arguing. ........  She says the officer told her it would be on Tremell's record.
http://prisonplanet.com/articles/may2006/270506citedbypolice.htm

Offline donnay

• Live Free Or Die Trying!
There isn't a day that goes by that we don't break their laws in some way or another.  >:(
"Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace." ~ Rod Serling
"Cops today are nothing but an armed tax collector" ~ Frank Serpico
"To be normal, to drink Coca-Cola and eat Kentucky Fried Chicken is to be in a conspiracy against yourself."
"People that don't want to make waves sit in stagnant waters."

Offline JonTheSavage

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 06:44:39 PM »

:)

Offline Paulfan

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ???

Just HOW MUCH DAMAGE could a 2 year old do ???

ABSOLUTELY NUTZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I was always of the understanding that the parent is responsible for the actions of a child.  I'll tell you what, kids will be kids, but if a two-year-old threw a rock at my car and did damage, I would expect the parent to step up and take action.  If not, you can bet I'd file a report and turn it in.  Nothing against the child, but....my car is damaged!  I find it absurd to hold the child responsible.  How can that be?
[img/]http://ia310828.us.archive.org/3/items/Shoe-tosserGuyGif7/iraqimage007.gif[img]

Offline chrsswtzr

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ???

Just HOW MUCH DAMAGE could a 2 year old do ???

ABSOLUTELY NUTZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

He's dangerous!!! He's considered a high-level threat... a terrorist under the DHS "Domestic Extremism Lexicon" document!!

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction...!!

-Chris

Offline America2

• Romans 10:9-10 King James Version
I remember my Business Law professor in college talked about how the judicial system is set up to where 90% of the people tried go free, but it's to PROTECT the innocent from getting wrongly convicted. At the same time, she ALMOST HINTED that this was a *dumb* idea, albeit implicitely.

Heck - remember the OJ trial and the BACKLASH it created b/c a famous celebrity got off the hook despite overwhelming evidence against him? Remember all those subliminal messages in the media(whether news, movies, tv shows, music, etc) over how our judicial system is a joke b/c we're too lenient on the criminals?

Pt being that especially since OJ, we've slowly but surely been conditioned to believe our judicial system is a joke for this very reason, and slowly but surely, TPTB has been putting the shoe on the other foot as the masses have been biting on the kool-aid.

Offline gunDriller

yes, it is amazing.  i'm old enough to remember the 1976 Winter Olympics, and i've NEVER seen anything like the amount of laws that we have governing all kinds of behavior.

what we have now is "selective prosecution" - if you speak out, e.g. about Israel's treatment of the Palestinians - that vastly increases the chances of you getting nailed (and, by getting 'nailed', i don't mean 'laid').  (that example is a reference to the publisher of the Palestine Chronicle - an f'ing newspaper that reported on incidents like Israel poisoning the wells of Palestinian farmers.)
http://theinfounderground.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5367

Cheney managed the War Games.  Israel did the Demolitions.

http://iamthewitness.com/

Offline matrixcutter

"Pentagon Rebrands Protest as 'Low-Level Terrorism' " by Tom Burghardt (dissidentvoice.org) - June 19, 2009.

You have to hand it to Pentagon securocrats and their corporate cronies, they never miss an opportunity to demonize, vilify or otherwise slander domestic political dissent as “terrorism.”

The American Civil Liberties Union reported June 10 that “Anti-terrorism training materials currently being used by the Department of Defense (DoD) teach its personnel that free expression in the form of public protests should be regarded as ‘low level terrorism’.”

According to the civil liberties’ watchdog: “Among the multiple-choice questions included in its Level 1 Antiterrorism Awareness training course, the DoD asks the following: ‘Which of the following is an example of low-level terrorist activity?’ To answer correctly, the examinee must select ‘protests’.”

Yes, you read that correctly. The Pentagon has designed a training system that puts you in the crosshairs! And why not? Back in 2003 Mike Van Winkle, the spokesman for the California Anti-Terrorism Information Center (CATIC) said of antiwar demonstrators brutally attacked by riot cops at the Port of Oakland during a protest against the illegal invasion and occupation of Iraq,

“You can make an easy kind of a link that, if you have a protest group protesting a war where the cause that’s being fought against is international terrorism, you might have terrorism at that (protest),” said Van Winkle, of the state Justice Department. “You can almost argue that a protest against that is a terrorist act.” (Ian Hoffman, Sean Holstege and Josh Richman, (”Intelligence Agency Does Not Distinguish Between Terrorism and Peace Activism,” Oakland Tribune, May 18, 2003)

Pretty ironic coming from a sprawling bureaucracy currently engaged in two aggressive wars of conquest for whom dropping a proverbial dime on unsuspecting goat herders or wedding parties is a walk in the park! Not to mention Joint Special Operations Command’s “executive assassination ring” operating out of the former Vice President’s office, who without so much as a by-your-leave, bumped-off official regime enemies.

This latest outrage follows a consistent pattern by the Pentagon that the ACLU has called “an egregious insult to constitutional values.”

As Antifascist Calling revealed in previous reports, the U.S. Army’s 3rd Infantry Division’s 1st Brigade Combat Team is now deployed inside the United States “under the day-to-day control of U.S. Army North, the “service component” of U.S. Northern Command (NORTHCOM).

AFC also reported that since NORTHCOM’s launch in 2002, it has been mired in controversy. Among its more dubious accomplishments were illegal domestic spying operations in conjunction with the Pentagon’s shadowy Counter Intelligence Field Activity (CIFA). Before being run to ground, like many Defense Department intelligence operations, CIFA was heavily outsourced to security corporations. More than 900 employees out of a total work force of 1,300 were high-paid contractors.

A veritable honey-pot for defense grifters such as Mitchell Wade, the notorious ex-chairman of MZM Inc. and his sidekick, disgraced former Congressman Randy “Duke” Cunningham (R-CA), eventually imprisoned when a cash-and-hookers-for-contracts scandal signaled the (temporary) eclipse of neoconservative stalwarts in Congress.

Despite CIFA’s shut-down last year, its TALON database (Threat and Local Observation Notices), which contained hundreds of files on antiwar activists, was shunted over to the FBI for safekeeping in its Guardian database, one component of the Bureau’s massive Investigative Data Warehouse.

Its a safe bet however, that the illegal collection of intelligence on domestic dissidents continues apace.

Inside the Antiterrorism-Training-Complex

While the ideological mind-set driving domestic counterterrorism policies may not have changed much in the intervening years since Van Winkle’s provocative statement, security firms and a veritable army of consultants drive America’s Homeland Security-Industrial-Complex.

As USA Today reported in 2006, “the homeland security business is booming, and now it eclipses mature enterprises like movie-making and the music industry in annual revenue.” And is likely to continue along that trajectory well into the future as new official enemies, particularly in the heimat come on-line.

“Specialists” in this lucrative market are former Special Operations soldiers or retired Military Intelligence, FBI or CIA officers who supplement their pensions by plowing the green pastures of the “antiterrorism training” industry. Indeed, there’s even an industry association (one of several), the International Association for Counterterrorism and Security Professionals (IACSP).

According to a blurb on the group’s website, IACSP was formed to create a “center of information and educational services for those concerned about the challenges now facing all free societies” and “is open to anyone with a sincere professional interest in understanding the security threat posed by terrorism and related conflicts.” The organization conducts seminars and publishes The Journal of Counterterrorism and Homeland Security magazine. IACSP partners include:

The Institute of Terrorism Research and Response
ITRR: Self-described as an “American and Israeli nonprofit corporation,” ITRR market “Israeli and American experts” who provide “counter-terrorism training, seminars, and security specialization in dealing with threats such as Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD), suicide bombers, and other forms of international terror striking both the public and private sector.” Their American-based “terror experts” conduct training seminars “in dealing with domestic terrorism and eco-terror groups, including the Animal Liberation Front (ALF) and the Earth Liberation Front (ELF).” ITRR’s Targeted Actionable Monitoring Center (TAM-C) was created to provide “provide accurate and actionable intelligence about potential security threats throughout the world.” TAM-C’s Ground Truth Network “leverages the ITRR’s international contacts and sources to provide real-time intelligence from the field,” while keeping “international corporations apprised of threats to their assets and personnel throughout the world.” Partners include among others, The Israel Export & International Cooperation Institute (IEICI), the Perelman Security Group (PSG), and Multi Tier Solutions (MTS), a firm licensed by the Israeli Ministry of Defense, that provides “specialized consulting, field operations, specialized training, fusion center technology, intelligence management platforms.” One shudders to think what activities fall under MTS’ “field operations” brief!

Henley-Putnam University: Describing itself as “the only online University that specializes exclusively in Intelligence, Management, Terrorism and Counterterrorism Studies,” Henley-Putnam boasts that their faculty is comprised of “leaders in tradecraft from organizations such as the FBI, CIA, and Secret Service.” Corporate partners include the Vienna, Virginia-based C2 Technologies, a firm specializing in “strategic human resources management, mission-critical outsourcing and information technology.” The Centre for Counterintelligence and Security Studies (CI Centre): based in Alexandria, Virginia the firm offers “in-depth and relevant education, training and analysis on counterintelligence, counterterrorism and security.” With a staff comprised of veteran Cold Warriors, CI Centre was founded in 1997 by David G. Major, “a retired, senior FBI Supervisory Special Agent.” With tailored “core competencies” offered in counterintelligence strategy and tactics, understanding terrorism, economic espionage protection and the like, CI Centre boasts of a staff of instructors who are “seasoned veterans” from the FBI, CIA, Defense Department, Military Intelligence, State Department, Department of Justice, Canadian RCMP and Cuban DI.” CI Centre is a corporate member of the Association of Former Intelligence Officers (AFIO), an ultra-rightist outfit founded in 1975 by CIA officer David Atlee Phillips. AFIO was a critical behind-the-scenes player that worked to sabotage Watergate-era investigations of CIA crimes by the Church and Pike Committees. CTC International Group, Inc. (CTC): Self-described as “a private intelligence agency for the global business community,” CTC International “is staffed primarily by former CIA officers” that “acts as a private intelligence organization for the legal and corporate communities.”

The Performance Institute (PI: A “private, nonpartisan think tank,” PI conducts seminars and on-site training that provides “intensive, methodology-based courses” that “include step-by-step processes to improve organizational management capacity.” PI’s Law Enforcement brief includes training in “Law Enforcement Management, Use of Force, Homeland Security, Funding, Sex Offender Management, Narcotics, Emergency Preparedness and Technology.”

IACSP will be sponsoring the 17th Annual Terrorism, Trends & Forecasts Symposium, September 18, 2009 at Fairleigh Dickinson University in New Jersey. In addition to standard boilerplate on Islamic terrorism and the “threat” of illegal immigration to national security, topics will include a presentation on “National Security and Liberty: A Delicate Balance.” Needless to say, readers of Antifascist Calling won’t be surprised at how the scales are tipped during this presentation!

Another player in the Antiterrorism-Training-Complex is The Backup Training Corporation. In 2007 Backup Training was purchased by Blackwater (now Xe), the private military (mercenary) corporation. Backup is now Xe’s “digital training division;” terms of the deal were not disclosed according to Washington Technology. The firm’s law enforcement brief offers dozens of DVDs on diverse topics such as Community Policing, Cultural Diversity (!), Domestic Terrorist Groups, Gang Training, a Home Defense webinar, Managing Street Informants, Racial Profiling and Surveillance.

But IACSP and Blackwater aren’t alone in this lucrative field.

St. Petersburg College’s Florida Regional Community Policing Institute offers an “Anti-Terrorism Intelligence Awareness Training Program,” in conjunction with the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC). Operating with grants from the Department of Justice and Department of Homeland Security, the course is designed “to provide training to state and local law enforcement officers in domestic and international terrorism. The goal is to provide officers with a working knowledge of past and present terrorist/criminal extremist groups and individuals, their activities and tactics, and how to recognize and report potential indicators of terrorism and criminal extremism.” There’s even a module that will help you “identify the electronic tools and media which international and domestic terrorists use and the best practices identified for properly seizing computer hardware and peripherals.”

The Institute for Preventive Strategies (IPS): A division of the Center for Rural Development in Somerset, Kentucky, IPS offers a Terrorism Prevention course for “law enforcement professionals.” According to a blurb on the group’s website, IPS avers that “Incidents related to homegrown terrorism in the United States are on the rise. Western Europe has long struggled with homegrown terrorists, but instances of American-born-and-raised citizens acting on Islamic terrorist motivations are a relatively new threat to the U.S.” Studiously ignored however, are recent incidents of terrorist violence directed against Americans such as the assassination of women’s health care provider, Dr. George Tiller, gunned down in his church in Wichita, Kansas on May 31. The alleged shooter, Scott Roeder, an associate of the violent antiabortion Army of God and the white separatist Freeman movement, was videotaped gluing the locks on a Kansas City clinic according to Democracy Now! Although footage was turned over to the FBI days before the murder, the Bureau failed to act. Which just goes to show, “terrorism prevention” is fine when it comes to “Islamic radicals,” antiwar activists or “ecoterrorists.” Far-right Christian gangs on the other hand, are treated with kid gloves by the state or even celebrated as “heroes” by homegrown clerical fascists. Indeed, elements of the media such as the despicable Bill O’Reilly and his Fox News cohorts helped set the stage for Tiller’s murder by labeling him “guilty of Nazi stuff,” as Salon reported.

America’s Orwell Complex

“Policing ideas, rather than criminal activities” as the ACLU wrote in a strongly-worded letter to Gail McGinn, Acting Under-Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness, “runs counter to our nation’s core principles, undermining the very foundations of a free society.”

While true as far as it goes, the history of the United States is replete with Orwellian moments such as this, where “freedom” is code for buying commodities and keeping your mouth shut–or else.

From the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798 to the Fugitive Slave Law of 1850, from COINTELPRO to Operation CHAOS, and from the USA PATRIOT Act to warrantless wiretapping and beyond, the national security state has always had but one purpose: to keep the lid on at home, thus greasing the wheels for corporate resource extraction (armed theft) on a planetary scale.

And they call this “freedom.”

-----

Alan Watt discussed this article in last night's RBN show:

June 29, 2009
Alan Watt "Cutting Through The Matrix" on RBN:
Problems Solved by 'Highly Evolved':
"Lots of Videos for Public to See,
With Rothschild, Strong, Saying How it's to be,
Creating Enviro-Banks with Themselves in Control,
Profiting from Misery as They Tax the Poor Prole,
Government like Money is Just a Tool,
Rich Select Head Man, Any Old Fool,
Whether Slow of Speech or Quick of Wit,
Just as Long as He can Follow a Script,
The Black Humour of Carbon Set to Pave
An Impoverished Planet, Each One a Slave,
Amidst All Squalor, the Rich Live of Course,
In Advanced Supercities, Owning Each Resource"
***Dialogue Copyrighted Alan Watt - June 29, 2009 (Exempting Music, Literary Quotes, and Callers' Comments)
***LISTEN / DOWNLOAD

Topics of show covered in following links:
Video: "George Hunt: UN UNCED Earth Summit 1992 (Population reduction, Bank Scams etc..) - 36:58" [Video Clips of Rothschild and Strong at Environment Meetings.] (video.google.com) - June 6, 2006.
"Rothschild and Freshfields founders linked to slavery" by Carola Hoyos (ft.com) - June 26 2009.
"Obama's involvement in Chicago Climate Exchange--the rest of the story" by Judi McLeod (canadafreepress.com) - March 25, 2009.
"Pentagon Rebrands Protest as 'Low-Level Terrorism' " by Tom Burghardt (dissidentvoice.org) - June 19, 2009.
"ACLU Challenges Defense Department Personnel Policy To Regard Lawful Protests As 'Low-Level Terrorism' " (aclu.org) - June 10, 2009.
"ID cards for India: 1.1billion citizens will go into second largest citizens' database" (dailymail.co.uk) - June 28, 2009.
"Henry Waxman's betrayal of our existence - HR 2749" by Scaredhuman (dailykos.com) - June 17, 2009.

Offline starvosan

TerrorDome:

March 2006
 14yr old gets seven years for pushing hall monitor
Truly unbelievable. Seven years detention for shoving one of the authori-tays at school(She served one year before being released due to a public outcry). The story of Shaquanda Cotton, 14, of Paris High School in Paris, TX:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0703120170mar12,0,1435953.story

Offline America2

TerrorDome:

March 2006
 14yr old gets seven years for pushing hall monitor
Truly unbelievable. Seven years detention for shoving one of the authori-tays at school(She served one year before being released due to a public outcry). The story of Shaquanda Cotton, 14, of Paris High School in Paris, TX:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0703120170mar12,0,1435953.story

Sadly, the sheeple masses will end up buying this, why? B/c in recent years, we keep hearing reports over and over and over again over how b/c children are being raised by single parents, how both of their parents work, how kids watch improper tv programming/video games, blah, blah, blah among other lies, they don't have time to be "raised", so as a result, they grow up rebellious, undisciplined, you name it.

(Manufactured) Problem. Reaction. Solution.

Offline Ghost in the Machine

yes they are slowly conditioning us to be slaves its obvious...  :-[

Offline America2

yes they are slowly conditioning us to be slaves its obvious...  :-[

Every time I tell my mom and dad these stories, they're like, "That's no such a bad idea!".

Yah - even the most intelligent people seem to have that spell over them.

Offline TimeLady

Every time I tell my mom and dad these stories, they're like, "That's no such a bad idea!".

Yah - even the most intelligent people seem to have that spell over them.

My parents are completely aware of this; they're of the attitude that you may as well make hay when the sun shines, and run when you need to run.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Offline jofortruth

• The Great Deception
Don't believe me. Look it up yourself!

JTCoyoté

By way of seeing ahead...

JTCoyoté

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power
any government has is the power to crack down on
criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals,
one makes them. One declares so many things to be
a crime that it becomes impossible to live without
breaking laws."
~Ayn Rand

Offline Geolibertarian

• Global Moderator
  • 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB! www.911truth.org
I remember my Business Law professor in college talked about how the judicial system is set up to where 90% of the people tried go free, but it's to PROTECT the innocent from getting wrongly convicted.

It may have been set up that way initially, but these days it's as though the system is designed to prey upon the innocent.

Pt being that especially since OJ, we've slowly but surely been conditioned to believe our judicial system is a joke for this very reason

It is a joke, but for the opposite reason: because of the ridiculous number of people who get convicted of "crimes" that aren't real crimes (due in large part to the inexcusable refusal of countless corrupt judges to fully inform jurors of their power to judge the law itself as well as the evidence), not because of the comparatively miniscule number of rich people who go free despite overwhelming evidence of having done things that are real crimes.
"Abolish all taxation save that upon land values." -- Henry George

"If our nation can issue a dollar bond, it can issue a dollar bill." -- Thomas Edison

http://schalkenbach.org
http://www.monetary.org
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=203330.0