SOPA / PIPA / MPAA / ACTA - MegaUpload affects YOU

Author Topic: SOPA / PIPA / MPAA / ACTA - MegaUpload affects YOU  (Read 40060 times)

Offline Brocke

• Eleutherophiliac & Drapetomaniac
  • Global Moderator
  • I am not a number, I am a free man!
    • Vimeo page
SOPA / PIPA / MPAA / ACTA - MegaUpload affects YOU
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, 12:19:01 AM »
MegaUpload Dangerous Secrets affect YOU, Mike Mozart JeepersMedia ACTA / PIPA / SOPA
http://youtu.be/-tD1yaE0GfQ

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. - ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
Re: SOPA / PIPA / MPAA - MegaUpload affects YOU
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 12:23:34 AM »

Lawrence Lessig: Read Write > Read Only = Free Culture

..."we made mixed tapes, they made re-mixed music. We watched TV, they make TV. It is technology that has made them different. And as we see what this technology can do, what we can do, we need to recognize you can't kill the instinct the technology produces, you can only CRIMINALIZE it. We can't stop our kids from using it, we can only drive it underground. WE can't make our kids passive again, we can only make them "pirates", and is that good?...

Lawrence Lessig
Director of the Edmond J. Safra Foundation Center for Ethics, and a Professor of Law at Harvard Law School. Prior to returning to Harvard, he was a professor at Stanford Law School, where he founded the schools Center for Internet and Society, and at the University of Chicago. He clerked for Judge Richard Posner on the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals and Justice Antonin Scalia on the United States Supreme Court.

Larry Lessig: How creativity is being strangled by the law
http://youtu.be/7Q25-S7jzgs
..."we made mixed tapes, they made re-mixed music. We watched TV, they make TV. It is technology that has made them different. And as we see what this technology can do, what we can do, we need to recognize you can't kill the instinct the technology produces, you can only CRIMINALIZE it. We can't stop our kids from using it, we can only drive it underground. WE can't make our kids passive again, we can only make them "pirates", and is that good?...

Copyright: Forever Less One Day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk862BbjWx4

When Copyright Goes Bad (English)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_C77d7KBHk

Do Copyright Laws Stifle Creativity? - Lawrence Lessig
http://youtu.be/JXwB9FlkNXA

TEDxNYED - Lawrence Lessig - 03/06/10
http://youtu.be/FhTUzNKpfio

Lawrence Lessig Introduction at e-G8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsJiR-CIkAc
Lawrence Lessig Introduction at e-G8, may 25 2011

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
Caught in the ACTA: More angry protests break out in Poland - Vid
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »
Caught in the ACTA: More angry protests break out in Poland http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WToxyRwd-I0
->>>|:-) THE CITY INDIANS (-:|<<<-

Jordan

Re: SOPA / PIPA / MPAA / ACTA - MegaUpload affects YOU
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2012, 10:50:09 PM »
European Parliament Official In Charge Of ACTA Quits, And Denounces The 'Masquerade' Behind ACTA

This is interesting. Kader Arif, the "rapporteur" for ACTA, has quit that role in disgust over the process behind getting the EU to sign onto ACTA. A rapporteur is a person "appointed by a deliberative body to investigate an issue." However, it appears his investigation of ACTA didn't make him very pleased:

I want to denounce in the strongest possible manner the entire process that led to the signature of this agreement: no inclusion of civil society organisations, a lack of transparency from the start of the negotiations, repeated postponing of the signature of the text without an explanation being ever given, exclusion of the EU Parliament's demands that were expressed on several occasions in our assembly.

As rapporteur of this text, I have faced never-before-seen manoeuvres from the right wing of this Parliament to impose a rushed calendar before public opinion could be alerted, thus depriving the Parliament of its right to expression and of the tools at its disposal to convey citizens' legitimate demands.”

Everyone knows the ACTA agreement is problematic, whether it is its impact on civil liberties, the way it makes Internet access providers liable, its consequences on generic drugs manufacturing, or how little protection it gives to our geographical indications.

This agreement might have major consequences on citizens' lives, and still, everything is being done to prevent the European Parliament from having its say in this matter. That is why today, as I release this report for which I was in charge, I want to send a strong signal and alert the public opinion about this unacceptable situation. I will not take part in this masquerade.

Pretty rare to find such direct honesty in political circles. That's quite a direct and clear condemnation of the entire process. In terms of process, it will be interesting to see if this has an impact. While the EU did sign on to ACTA today, it still needs to be ratified by the European Parliament (more on that in a little while). Having Arif quit makes a pretty big statement, and hopefully makes it easier for Parliament Members to speak out loudly against ACTA... Still, this is an uphill battle. The supporters of ACTA have been working to get ACTA approved for years. To them, this is basically a done deal.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120126/11014317553/european-parliament-official-charge-acta-quits-denounces-masquerade-behind-acta.shtml

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2012, 02:40:15 AM »

The Past, Present and Future of Internet Censorship
http://youtu.be/spapXznZf4I

In recent weeks the general public has mobilized to face US legislative threats to Internet freedoms. Far from a conclusive victory, however, the death of SOPA and PIPA only highlight the latest in a series of measures that are seeking to create a legal framework for government-administered Internet censorship.

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Rtruth

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2012, 05:04:59 AM »
What bothers me is how they seem to want to make examples of all kinds of innocent civilians. Either fining them, enprisoning them, even killing them. It's like come on already, it's so pathetic. If they want to scheme and strategize about how they plan to take over the world, if they want to take down websites, and pass stupid laws, fine whatever, I just wish they wouldn't involved harming perfectly innocent civilians in there horse play. It's like if you wanna play phychopath fine, but leave us civilians out of it!!! Leave us alone, we're making you tons of money anyway paying out taxes. We don't need endless harrassment on top of it all. I know they don't care but whatever.

Jordan

ACTA getting big attention starting to rattle government's cages.
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2012, 01:14:30 AM »
We Need Copyright Reform, Not ACTA!

As a Member of the European Parliament, I very much welcome the increased attention the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) has received in the past weeks. It has taken a while for massive outcry to emerge, but we are seeing protest voices getting louder and louder.

The internet is a great tool to alert politicians to all the dangers of this treaty, just as the internet was a tool to mobilize people against the SOPA and PIPA bills in the US. For any lobby to be effective, however, it must be fact based. Misinformed criticism helps those supporting ACTA.

The dangers and threats of the ACTA treaty are shared by free-speech advocates and access to medicine groups alike. ACTA is seeking to deal with a number of widely differing issues, and hence does not do a good job at any of them. Additionally, there are serious concerns about the collateral damage that ACTA would cause.

Regrettably, concerns by businesses, NGO’s and politicians have not led to a better result. This is partly due to the intransparant way in which ACTA has been established and negotiated. As a democratically elected representative, I believe it is not the role of government to protect outdated business models, and I do believe it is our job to ensure democratic oversight.

Besides zooming in on the details of what ACTA will and will not do, taking a step back and looking at the broader picture is also important. As someone who advocates copyright reform, notably the harmonization of copyright laws in Europe, I do not believe stricter enforcement of outdated systems is helpful or relevant. Enforcement is not even possible in many cases, and not without violating people’s fundamental rights.

Yet there is a big push towards enforcing outdated legal structures of copyright by the entertainment industry. ACTA will lock any signatory country into a system of copyright enforcement, leaving the democratic process disadvantaged to enact necessary reform of our laws to suit the digital age.

The fast development of the information society and all the innovations we have seen in the last 15 or so years have changed the way we live. People can enforce their fundamental rights of access to information, and free speech with the help of the internet. Human rights violations are documented and shared across the world, and the way we access and share information and culture such as news, music and films has changed forever. Most copyright rules were developed for the printing press and codified internationally before radio had even been invented.

Some of the most important EU laws regulating the internet were established before social media and peer-to-peer sharing took off. The E-commerce Directive of 2000 and the Copyright Directive of 2001 were enacted without foresight of the new services which were developed over the last 10 years. Time and time again, it has been proven that the Directives and their national implementations do not suit the digital age that followed directly afterwards. The fragmentation of European copyright puts the EU, which is widely known for its wealth in culture, at a competitive disadvantage in comparison to the United States.

Copyright and E-Commerce need to suit the needs of the advanced information society we now live in. To enable a flourishing Digital Single Market in Europe, we need to analyse case-law of the last 12 years regarding the internet, hear from creators, innovators and consumers. If we want to serve consumers, artists and businesses well, we need to find a new balance in copyright. Every aspect of copyright needs to be discussed: the exclusive rights, limitations and exceptions, collective management, enforcement, etc. Only then should we discuss how to enforce the new found balance on the international arena, such as with ACTA.

ACTA must not be passed. Let’s focus on reform to allow for the opportunities of the internet to bloom, instead of allowing outdated business models to limit the free market, and to criminalize audiences. Additionally, health threats as a result of counterfeit medicine deserve a better solution than ACTA. Join me in voicing your concern with this treaty, so we can establish flexible copyright rules which are fit for the 21st century.

https://torrentfreak.com/we-need-copyright-reform-not-acta-120204/

Jordan

SIGN THE PETITION
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2012, 02:16:37 AM »
SIGN THE PETITION:

As concerned global citizens, we call on you to stand for a free and open Internet and reject the ratification of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA), which would destroy it. The Internet is a crucial tool for people around the world to exchange ideas and promote democracy. We urge you to show true global leadership and protect our rights.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/eu_save_the_internet_spread/?feEVybb&pv=310

Jordan

Dutch parliament refuses to ratify ACTA
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2012, 01:34:37 PM »
The House believes that the Netherlands should not sign ACTA treaty. This treaty must be online to avoid piracy, but opponents fear that the freedom of the Internet will reduce.

According to Minister of Economic Affairs Maxime Verhagen, the concerns are unjustified. "It is not directed against individuals but against commercial abuse is widespread," he said.
Odds

A majority in the House says that the treaty might be at odds with the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union and the European Convention on Human Rights.

According to the Chamber, the Treaty could not be drawn as clearly established that it does not conflict with fundamental rights.

Majority

A motion about GroenLinks, D66, PvdA and SP is supported by the Freedom Party, which is now a majority.

Last weekend at various locations in Europe demonstrated against ACTA, including in Amsterdam.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnos.nl%2Fartikel%2F340875-kamer-tegen-ratificatie-acta.html

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
SOPA bill takes on new name in the Senate - Vid
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2012, 06:29:37 PM »
SOPA bill takes on new name in the Senate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxUOyNzBePA

Offline sab

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2012, 02:33:28 AM »
More news on MegaUpload:

http://kim.com/app.php
http://kim.com/mega/

Mega, a new product.

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2012, 03:30:03 PM »

Megaupload warrants ruled illegal by New Zealand court

By Hayley Tsukayama, Published: June 29

A court in New Zealand has ruled that the search warrants used by New Zealand police when they raided the home of Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom were invalid.

Reuters reported that a High Court judge said the search warrants were “too vague” and “did not adequately describe the offences to which they related.” The judge also ruled that the FBI acted unlawfully when it took copies of data from Dotcom’s computer offshore.

New Zealand police officers raided the home of the Megaupload executive in January, when the U.S. Justice Department shut down the file-sharing site on charges that it facilitated online piracy, The Washington Post reported. The case made a splash not only because police also seized valuables and other property from Dotcom, but also because the story happened at the same time that Congress was debating two controversial anti-piracy bills.

Before the site was shut down, it claimed to have 1 billion users — with 50 million daily users — and, at one time, was believed to be the Internet’s 13th most-popular Web site.

New Zealand police told Reuters that they were considering the judgment and trying to “determine what further action might be required.

MORE: http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/megaupload-warrants-ruled-illegal-by-new-zealand-court/2012/06/28/gJQA9sfT9V_story.html

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
Patent Privateers Sail the Legal Waters Against Apple, Google
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2013, 04:14:32 AM »
Patent Privateers Sail the Legal Waters Against Apple, Google
11 January 2013
, by Susan Decker (Bloomberg)
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-11/patent-privateers-sail-the-legal-waters-against-apple-google.html

Excerpt:

To harry other nations without attacking them, monarchs like England’s Elizabeth I commissioned ship captains to plunder merchant vessels, creating a type of pirate known as a privateer.

The term is used today to describe businesses that obtain patents from technology companies and then file infringement lawsuits against the sellers’ competitors.

Tech companies use privateers to distract their adversaries or collect royalties on the patents without provoking retaliatory litigation, said Ron Laurie, managing director of Inflexion Point Strategy LLC in Palo Alto, California.

Nokia Oyj (NOK), Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) and Alcatel-Lucent are among companies connected with these licensing firms.

Companies that would, in the past, assert their patents in lawsuits only to protect their property now say they work with privateers because they’re obligated to make money from past research.

“The moral stigma of being associated with patent assertion isn’t what it used to be,” said Laurie, who advises companies on intellectual-property purchases.

“The whole patent-assertion business is becoming more and more legitimized through these privateering operations.”

The practice of selling patents and retaining the rights to share in lawsuit proceeds probably will grow as early innovators in mobile-phone development, such as Nokia and Ericsson AB, lose market share to the likes of Apple and Samsung Electronics Co.

It can also make it hard to figure out who actually owns a patent.

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office plans at a meeting today to discuss possible rules requiring more disclosure about the “real party in interest” in patents and applications.

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
Former Google Lawyer Lee Nominated to Run Patent Office
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2014, 04:43:30 PM »
Former Google Lawyer Lee Nominated to Run Patent Office
17 October 2014
, by Todd Shields (Bloomberg)
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/print/2014-10-16/former-google-lawyer-lee-nominated-to-run-patent-office.html

Excerpt:

Former Google (GOOG) Inc. lawyer Michelle K. Lee is being nominated to run the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, filling a seat in the Obama administration that has been vacant for almost two years.

Lee, 48, left Google in 2012 to run the patent office’s Silicon Valley outpost and was elevated to deputy director of the full agency in January.

President Barack Obama announced her nomination for director yesterday, which is subject to Senate confirmation.

Lee would take over as the Obama administration seeks to establish a more efficient patent process to drive economic growth.

Her background, including a decade-long stint at Google, may aid efforts to integrate the patent process in Silicon Valley and cut down a backlog of applications awaiting review from some of the nation’s largest technology companies.

The patent office hasn’t had a permanent director since David Kappos left in February 2013.

More than a quarter of U.S. jobs rely on intellectual property, according to a 2012 report by the Commerce Department, and Obama has said he wants to weed out spurious patent claims that lead to unnecessary litigation.

In a visit to Los Angeles on Oct. 10 to discuss innovation, Obama said “one of the biggest problems that we’ve been working on is how do we deal with these folks who basically are filing phony patents.”

Offline Owais

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2014, 01:34:25 AM »
What is these Stand for.

Offline Elisa24

• Time is critical in this world
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2015, 05:35:23 AM »
What is these Stand for.

Exactly, quite honestly I only know Megaupload, but as far as I know that is history.

Edit: Nevermind I did the research myself. i understand piracy has negative consequences and it would be best if it would be limited to some extend. For example if video games or expensive software who takes tons of money to produce are thrown on the internet do download for free, the producers wouldn't make enough many to improve on it. However on the other hand some documentaries, books, video's which primarily focus on a educational purpose should be free. The rest could be downloaded as well, but there should be a different culture, a culture where people donate money to the institutions who produce what they are consuming.

Offline larsonstdoc

Cybersecurity data-sharing bill passes US House
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2015, 08:35:57 AM »
https://technical.ly/baltimore/2015/04/23/cybersecurity-bill-pcna-passes-house/

Don't believe them.  This really is CISPA.  They just renamed it.  When Obama signs this into law, more of our rights will be taken away.  It still has to go to the Senate.  Privacy is out of the window.  All the private info the corporations have on us will be sent to the government and the corporations will have immunity.  OUR CONSTITUTION AND BILL OF RIGHTS ARE DANGLING BY A THREAD.  SEE IF YOU CAN LINK THIS BILL TO TPP.  THE LINK IS OBVIOUS--THEY WANT CORPORATIONS IN CONTROL-----FASCISM.  FASCISM--a governmental system led by a dictator forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism  and controlling all industry and commerce and everything else. 

It’s not CISPA, but the U.S. House of Representatives passed cybersecurity legislation on Wednesday that allows information sharing between federal intelligence agencies and private companies. And this time, the bill appears to have the backing of President Obama.

The Protecting Cyber Networks Act (PCNA) passed the House by a vote of 307-116. The bill sets up a network of information sharing that lets government and companies warn each other about potential hacks. Companies are offered a measure of legal immunity to keep them from being sued for sharing data.

Passing a cybersecurity information-sharing bill is nothing new in the House. Baltimore-area Congressman C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger has introduced his Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) three times. Two versions passed, but were ultimately held up.

A third version was introduced just before the first of the year. It didn’t pass, but Ruppersberger backed it, taking to the House floor to voice support.

“Target, Home Depot and CareFirst are only the beginning,” Ruppersberger said, referencing three of the biggest hacks of 2014. “With Sony, we saw the first destructive attack in our country.”
I'M A DEPLORABLE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT SUPPORTS PRESIDENT TRUMP.  MAY GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIM SAFE.

Offline larsonstdoc

CISPA: A Government/Corporation Quid Pro Quo
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »
http://www.mintpressnews.com/cispa-a-governmentcorporation-quid-pro-quo/203705/

CISPA: A Government/Corporation Quid Pro Quo

The new CISPA legislation not only increases the government’s own offensive surveillance and enforcement capabilities, but legally turns corporations into official domestic spies.

Washington, DC (TFC) – The Police and Surveillance State is hard at work developing tools to enhance the security of the public space of the world wide web, as well as the proprietary networks of corporations.

Congress is refusing to let go of cyber-terrorism legislation.  CISPA has been reintroduced to the 114th Congress by Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger (D-Md.), and in the Senate by Sen. Tom Carper (D-Del.).  The bills open lines of communication between private corporations and the federal government to share information about data breeches and incoming security threats.  Through the National Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Center (NCCIC), the bills set forth how companies can share information with other government agencies, while requiring them to minimize identifying information.  However, with the information available in metadata codes, privacy is still minimal.  You can read the full text here.

Supporting this agenda, a Council on Foreign Relations Task Force states, “Offensive capabilities are required to deter attacks, and, if deterrence fails, to impose costs on the attackers.”  The task force, which includes former CIA Director John Negroponte, goes on to say, “Successfully meeting the challenges of the digital age requires a rethinking of domestic institutions and processes that were designed for the twentieth century.”  Those challenges, according to the report, focus heavily on the protection of markets, and the profits within those markets.

The new CISPA legislation not only increases the government’s own offensive surveillance and enforcement capabilities, but legally turns corporations into official domestic spies.  Private corporations, which would not require oversight of a FISA court for warrants, receive liability protection for the accumulation of data on Americans.

This surveillance is already occurring, and has been for years.  The tech firms of Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo and Apple have for years both cooperated with the government’s requests for information on users, and superficially resisted the requests in the courts, and in the court of public opinion.  Apple’s first disclosure last year, however, did not include language stating that it had been forced to comply.  It just complied, and is only recently letting the public know of its complicity.  The new CISPA legislation would protect Apple and other corporations from any public liability in that complicity.
I'M A DEPLORABLE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT SUPPORTS PRESIDENT TRUMP.  MAY GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIM SAFE.

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2015, 04:46:17 PM »

@Owais and Elisa24

Please educate yourselves.

Copying is not stealing. It is copying. That is why it is called "copyright" not "stealright".

If you have a dollar bill on your desk at work and I take that dollar that is stealing. If I take that dollar to the copy machine and make a copy and put the real dollar back on your desk nothing was stolen. (at that point I'm a counterfeiter but not a thief)

Keiser Report: Hollywood always resisted technology, preferring law change (28Jan12)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFmXfMLrwdA

The illegal TV/film cartel in Hollywood have never liked technological innovation, and have preferred to bribe politicians to pass laws so that certain technologies did not exist, in this case, the Video Cassette Recorder (which boosted Hollywood profits despite their obscene rhetoric on piracy).

• Copying analogue technology was costly, time consuming, and the quality of the copy was poor
  • Digital technology was not demanded by the consumer public
  • Digital technology makes it cheaper for industry to produce and distribute media
  • The entertainment industry is making more money that they ever have
  • The The entertainment industry forces technology on the public, then demands that the public not use that technology

Please educate yourselves. (see below)

Electronic Frontiers Australia
https://www.efa.org.au/

Internet Piracy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOtdm-g0DCg

Does Piracy Actually Help The Movie Industry?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn5fVRzpKYE

Deadweight loss
In economics, a deadweight loss (also known as excess burden or allocative inefficiency) is a loss of economic efficiency that can occur when equilibrium for a good or service is not achieved or is not achievable. Causes of deadweight loss can include monopoly pricing (in the case of artificial scarcity), externalities, taxes or subsidies, and binding price ceilings or floors (including minimum wages). The term deadweight loss may also be referred to as the "excess burden" of monopoly or taxation.

Australian Internet providers to handover data to combat video piracy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfJZpd-HMvc

~Aldous Huxley