By Glenn Milne
May 03, 2009 12:01am
* Boot camps for youth unemployed considered
* Cabinet sources say plan has backing
* Department of Defence reportedly opposed to idea
THE Federal Government wants military-style "boot camp" training overseen by the Department of Defence for Australia's unemployed youth, Cabinet sources confirmed last night.
The Sunday Telegraph has learned Canberra is keen on the move to stop the loss of a generation to welfare as a result of the recession.
It would also instil self discipline and structure into the lives of problem young job seekers. Cabinet sources confirmed to The Sunday Telegraph yesterday the plan had been promoted at "the highest levels", but it's unclear whether it will make the final cut for the Budget on Tuesday week. In a Budget move aimed at avoiding losing a generation to welfare dependency, the Government will also offer the young jobless an extra $2000 in benefits in return for training.
Youth unemployment is expected to spike in the recession.
Key figures in Defence are fiercely resisting the idea of being responsible for training the unemployed and sources said the "unworkable" program could include weapons training.
They said the idea was being pushed amid growing concerns within the Government that youth unemployment was likely to hit politically unacceptable levels by the end of the year.
While ministers are broadly supportive of the initiative, some in Defence see it as a cynical exercise to artificially cut the official number of young jobless.